PDA

View Full Version : Elk Bugling Activity Report

Jrax
08-31-2019, 10:13 AM
What is going on in the Elk hills for activity? Region, time, weather etc. whatever you can share

Aug29th
Region 6 (along bulkley river)
7pm
20C
no bugles (called in a fisherman lol)

some action off the back deck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ6kFTAi0PU&feature=youtu.be

Next try will be Sept 1 and will try to get a video if we get some action.

HighCountryBC
08-31-2019, 10:34 AM
Bulls have been cruising and sounding off for awhile now. Par for the course at this time of year. Once the velvet comes off, things start to ramp up.

Bugle M In
08-31-2019, 10:44 AM
The video of your son was fun to watch.
Great if he can start learning calling at a young age.
Imagine how great he will be at it if he sticks with it.

Ghillie
09-01-2019, 09:30 AM
Getting reports of some bugles in the peace. I wasn't lucky enough to witness any vocalizations this morning though!

Mikey Rafiki
09-01-2019, 10:08 AM
They are making noise. Had one up close make a gurgling sort of thud...

rocksteady
09-01-2019, 10:52 AM
No noise in the Ek/WK where i am

rocksteady
09-01-2019, 10:54 AM
Was bugling and cow calling by 530 this morning.. no reponse

Iron Sighted
09-02-2019, 08:38 AM
Was bugling and cow calling by 530 this morning.. no reponse

Same for me today, cow calling by 05:40 but no replies, though I did have a little spike bull wander past about 150 yards away..........I wish it were a spike moose instead, lol.

Mikey Rafiki
09-02-2019, 08:40 AM
2 mornings in a row with bulls bulging. They are in some nasty spots though...

2chodi
09-02-2019, 08:55 AM
Bugling and coming to calls in the Chetwynd area.

4ºC in the AM - high teens in the afternoon.

KBC
09-02-2019, 05:29 PM
Not hearing anything in 4-8 but it’s pretty freaking hot out.

LBM
09-02-2019, 05:33 PM
2 mornings in a row with bulls bulging. They are in some nasty spots though...
Were they one of the ones you got.

LBM
09-02-2019, 05:34 PM
They are making noise. Had one up close make a gurgling sort of thud...

Was this noise after you shot it.

Islandeer
09-02-2019, 08:48 PM
How bout you LBm? Here anything authentic in your neck of the woods?

Mikey Rafiki
09-02-2019, 09:15 PM
Was this noise after you shot it.

Ya. Got a small bull opening morning. Dropped in under 2 minutes and 15 yards. Been a 5 year dry spell so any bull was going down to fill the freezer. Had another one going this evening for my brother. It came in close but not quite close enough. 3 hunts and bulls bulging every time. Fun hunting even though it's been a little warmer and windier than I'd like.

Bugle M In
09-03-2019, 09:52 AM
Ya. Got a small bull opening morning. Dropped in under 2 minutes and 15 yards. Been a 5 year dry spell so any bull was going down to fill the freezer. Had another one going this evening for my brother. It came in close but not quite close enough. 3 hunts and bulls bulging every time. Fun hunting even though it's been a little warmer and windier than I'd like.

Congrats, a tasty young bull is always nice.
And yes, feels better after a dry spell of success for sure!

Squamch
09-03-2019, 12:43 PM
Split up a herd of 30+ in cowichan on Sunday, bull was screaming his lungs out.

https://youtu.be/CeWauEUPIHA

rocksteady
09-03-2019, 12:54 PM
3rd day in the EK.. not a peep..unless you count guys in f350 diesels

Mikey Rafiki
09-03-2019, 12:57 PM
4 hunts and 4 bulls going. Best action I've had in opening days in many years.

Jrax
09-03-2019, 01:40 PM
Wow nice Mikey and congrats on your bull!

Got 6 different bulls going in one evening but 3 different spots in bulkley valley Sept 2nd. 5 just answered a few times and one actually came in but winded us.
During day was about 25C or so but it cooled to 17C when I started about 8:00pm. Man I wish there was a GOS here, seems to be lots of elk. Also spotted one calf and heard a few cows chirping.

rocksteady
09-03-2019, 01:45 PM
Wow nice Mikey and congrats on your bull!

Got 6 different bulls going in one evening but 3 different spots in bulkley valley Sept 2nd. 5 just answered a few times and one actually came in but winded us.
During day was about 25C or so but it cooled to 17C when I started about 8:00pm. Man I wish there was a GOS here, seems to be lots of elk. Also spotted one calf and heard a few cows chirping.

Some fun.. eh bambi???

Elk is so addicting

todbartell
09-03-2019, 02:23 PM
It's too warm weather for the bulls to bugle. Need a good frost...

Darksith
09-03-2019, 03:12 PM
4 hunts and 4 bulls going. Best action I've had in opening days in many years.

you in the north or south of BC Mikey?

Mikey Rafiki
09-03-2019, 03:41 PM
you in the north or south of BC Mikey?
We've been hunting in the East Kootenays where we live. Hunting fairly high from the valley bottoms but by no means not way in the backcountry. The Little Bull I got was 4 hours to process and pack down the mountain. Two very heavy meat packs and then an extra trip for our gear.

LBM
09-03-2019, 07:05 PM
How bout you LBm? Here anything authentic in your neck of the woods?
not sure what you mean by authentic, but elk are bugling in various MUs but can be vocal one day and quite the next.
Turkeys were really going crazy on the weekend both hens and toms.

LBM
09-03-2019, 07:07 PM

Congrats good deal. The thunder and light show with the rain made the mornings a bit cooler, wish it would have froze after and killed the bugs though.

KBC
09-03-2019, 07:16 PM
I got a bull to come in to 60 yards today just throwing out some location bugles. He was silent and I didn’t know he was there until he blew up the other way when he winded me. 15 minutes down the trail I found a bunch of wolf tracks so I guess that’s why he wasn’t making any noise. Pretty cool though to get one to come in on my first real archery elk hunt. I’m in 4-8.

leadpillproductions
09-04-2019, 02:50 PM
Not a peep this morning was pretty warm this morning

Bugle M In
09-04-2019, 03:40 PM
Looks like the Temps are going to come down for a bit still, depending where you are.
BUT, I have had a bull come out a 12 o'clock, high noon, in 30+ degrees.
A single 6x5 bull who obviously wanted to check out the cows. (he was tasty)
You NEVER KNOW when!
Had another bull do the same, just came out to check what was up at 11 am, and hot as hell.
And quiet and more importantly Stealthy they can be!!!!
Again, the squirrels can be your friends, as much as they can piss you off.

Islandeer
09-04-2019, 07:07 PM
Great thread, going north in a few days, have some cow calls, what would you guys suggest I get to get the bulls attention? Thanks!!

Bugle M In
09-04-2019, 07:36 PM
Great thread, going north in a few days, have some cow calls, what would you guys suggest I get to get the bulls attention? Thanks!!

For cow call, a hoochie mama from Primos, or I maka da bull crazy or lip service or from buglin bulls, one of their cow calls.
Some would say get 2 different ones to have more than 1 sound.

Also, for beginners I would say get one of the primos bugles with the blue rubber ring on it.
Power bugle works to for beginners but those little thin bands get wrecked real easy.

If you really want to get into it, then most would recommend a mouth reed.
My go to brand is the Wayne Carlton Dome diaphragms, 1 in a cow call and I really like the 2.5 versions as I can do the most with those.
But they are hard to find (I have to order online usually).

willyqbc
09-04-2019, 08:13 PM
https://berryhuntingcalls.com/product/thunder-bugle-3/

all i'm looking for in a bugle is that it is LOUD! I want my sound to cover as much ground as possible. Berry thunder bugle fits the bill. the reed inserts have proven to be very sturdy over the years, and its pretty easy to get the hang of. Tried assorted mouth reeds over the years, but couldn't get close to the volume out of them, even with a tube. The actual "tone" or sound of the bugle really doesn't matter much in my experience....you don't need to be a maestro to get a bull to respond. An old friend of mine who was a very successful elk hunter...all he used was his kids recorder from elementary school band!!! I kid you not! Anything that will produce a low tone followed by a high tone/whistle will work. If hunting with a partner have him/her throw in a different color insert so both your bugles sound a little different. Many a morning when not getting any responses we were able to get them responding by having one person bugle and 3/4 of the way through that bugle, have your partner step on your bugle with one of their own....can be an effective way to get quiet bulls to speak up.

For cow calls, i don't use em much, but when I do, i like the bite down reed style....I carry a couple different makers in this style https://www.primos.com/primos-hunting/hunting-calls/elk-calls/cowgirl/c-24/c-106/p-286

Islandeer
09-04-2019, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the advise, appreciate it.

Ron.C
09-04-2019, 08:38 PM
Have to echo what Bugle M In said. I carry all kinds of cow calls because you never really know what they will respond to from day to day, elk to elk. But , that Primos I maka da bull crazy has been a killer call for us. It really seems to make a great estrous cow sound. Very nasaly.

One thing I have learned through error is to always start out with a soft cow call when hunting in the timber. I have busted elk that were unknowingly within a hundred yards of me by starting with a big bugle or real loud locator call. On three very memorable occassions, watched big racks that were no more than 100 yards chase their cows away from me.

Now, I usually like to do a few soft cow/calf calls, sit and listen and for about 5 or 10 minutes before I go into any sort of loud location calls. Being good is one thing, but it's just as nice when you stumble onto them and still manage to get the jump on em

Bugle M In
09-04-2019, 09:36 PM
Yup, the Berry Thunder Bugle comes about as close as one can get to a mouth reed without being one.
Insert is just like the center/main part of a mouth diaphragm.
Also, I forgot, Buglin Bulls make some decent bull calls as well.
I use that big ass tube for my calling at times as well as just an old rad corrugated rubber hose.
(the rubber is better than plastic as it removes the tin sound that you get from plastic tubes, imo)
Use the rad hose when things are close.
To reach out there, its the big one! (especially when calling across noisy rivers)

BUT, don't think you go buy one and your off to the races.
Still takes some practice if you never have done it before.
Just don't practice around the wife or dog:shock:;)

Redthies
09-05-2019, 07:48 AM
I don’t want to derail this bugle talk, but a quick caliber / bullet weight question for the elk veterans: where I hunt whitetail, there is always elk around. In your opinion, would 7-08 with 150 grain be sufficient? I have other options, but this is my favorite deer set up and would likely be in hand during a chance elk encounter.

Darksith
09-05-2019, 08:06 AM
I don’t want to derail this bugle talk, but a quick caliber / bullet weight question for the elk veterans: where I hunt whitetail, there is always elk around. In your opinion, would 7-08 with 150 grain be sufficient? I have other options, but this is my favorite deer set up and would likely be in hand during a chance elk encounter.
yes that bullet will suffice with decent shot placement. Don't try and shoot 1000yds with it or anything though, but 2-300 you should be fine

Bugle M In
09-05-2019, 08:17 AM
yes that bullet will suffice with decent shot placement. Don't try and shoot 1000yds with it or anything though, but 2-300 you should be fine
This^^^^^^^^ would be my opinion as well.
I used a 270 a lot with either the old 150gr or the newer 140gr bullets out on the market.
I have taken elk out to 325 yards, and it works.

The reason I carry a 300 win mag was because the bullets on a 270, even at 100 yards, were not "passing thru and thru".
And the problem there is, no exit wound, makes for crappy blood tracking if the bull takes off.
The 300 Win has no issues there.
NOTE: the 270 bullets would go as far as the other side, right to the "inside" of the hide, and I found a lot of my bullets over the years while
skinning, but always on the inside of the hide. (so no thru and thru and why I went bigger caliber)

KodiakHntr
09-05-2019, 08:29 AM
The reason I carry a 300 win mag was because the bullets on a 270, even at 100 yards, were not "passing thru and thru".
And the problem there is, no exit wound, makes for crappy blood tracking if the bull takes off.
The 300 Win has no issues there.

Bullet construction matters much more than what is stamped in the bottom of the brass.....
A 7/08 with stout bullet construction can result in a pass through, while a 300WM with a soft point can be caught in a bull...
I’ve caught bullets from the 300wm and the 300 Ultra on bull elk, and had pass throughs from much lesser cartridges. Shoot enough of them, and you will see that nothing is certain when the bullet hits flesh. I certainly understand hedging your bets when it comes to elk and wanting a bit more WHOMP though.

Bugle M In
09-05-2019, 08:32 AM
Wanted to add, the Hoochie Mama can be a bit of a pain in the ass, because the call doesn't always work well.
What I use, that sounds "exactly" like the Hoochie is the "Single Hyper Lip" from Primos.
I use that one a lot.

One other thing on the "I maka da bull crazy" call is it comes in Orange and Green.
The green is "much louder" than the orange.

Anyways, back to the reports for me.

KBC
09-05-2019, 09:18 AM
Anyone have a honey hole in the WK? Haha so many gates and so little sign in the areas I can get to. Not picking anything up on cameras either. The one bull I had come in a few days ago if I’m being honest is too far and difficult of a hike to do it solo 3-4 times loaded with meat.
I think I’m heading to the rock creek area I’m more familiar with that I know holds deer at least. Trying to finally pop the big game cherry!

KBC
09-05-2019, 09:20 AM
I should add part of the disappoint in the gates is the primary spot I had picked out e scouting is gated off. I ran into a local that told me it was one of the best spots to go before the shut it down. Son of a biscuit!

eatram
09-05-2019, 09:22 AM
Anyone have a honey hole in the WK? Haha so many gates and so little sign in the areas I can get to. Not picking anything up on cameras either. The one bull I had come in a few days ago if I’m being honest is too far and difficult of a hike to do it solo 3-4 times loaded with meat.
I think I’m heading to the rock creek area I’m more familiar with that I know holds deer at least. Trying to finally pop the big game cherry!

Since this bull is too far for you, I'm sure that you wouldn't mind PMing me the coordinates then ;)

KBC
09-05-2019, 09:36 AM
Haha I’m saving that spot in case I actually find a hunting partner worth hunting with.

KBC
09-05-2019, 09:38 AM
I took the atv in part way and could have gotten a lot closer but it’s a pretty sketchy trip up. I managed to put it on its side once and had to have one of those moments you need to have a discussion with yourself.

Bugle M In
09-05-2019, 09:42 AM
Frustrating isn't it when areas get closed off.
I know of an area that was a great spot to hunt for elk at times until is basically got closed off.
And now I have to contend with elk that when they give me the slip, enter that area (piss off!)

Know of others who know where elk are, but end up on private property etc.
Getting worse and worse each year that's for sure.

KBC
09-05-2019, 09:46 AM
Yeah one of the things that pisses me off is I tried finding out if the areas I wanted to were open or private etc. Maybe I didn’t look hard enough but I couldn’t find any info about it.

GEF
09-05-2019, 03:57 PM
All hoochie moma's sound the same.I can tell when another hunter is around when I hear one.Dead give away.If I was a Bull I would run L:grin:L

todbartell
09-05-2019, 05:10 PM
This bull ran, but straight at us, died at 15 yards. I still use the Hoochie from time to time

https://i.imgur.com/YcAfR99.jpg

Jrax
09-06-2019, 07:46 AM
This bull ran, but straight at us, died at 15 yards. I still use the Hoochie from time to time

https://i.imgur.com/YcAfR99.jpg

awesome!! congrats mark, your bull or you were the caller? looks like a young one?

rocksteady
09-06-2019, 08:06 AM
Elk all around me today. No bugles

Mikey Rafiki
09-06-2019, 09:13 PM
Well a day of hunting the trench and no noise. May need to get back up in them grizzly chutes...

Jrax
09-06-2019, 11:27 PM
5 bulls bugling yesterday after 7:30pm in 2 different locations. One was a huge herd bull, through binos, but too far away to get to him and he had lots of cows. 1 bull came in silent that looked to be 6x6 and another we called right to the truck in darkness with headlights on! One small bull had a completely broken off antler. Two others were farther off and not really interested in coming closer.

Lots of talk but nothing too aggressive. This is in non - huntable area in region 6. These elk can only be hunted on private land LEH. But still fun practicing with them and watching the rut progress.

Jrax
09-06-2019, 11:46 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7566&stc=1
not sure why, but I had to resize the image to 20% before it would upload

leadpillproductions
09-07-2019, 11:04 AM
nothin this morning.

todbartell
09-07-2019, 11:44 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7566&stc=1

beauty! Hopefully a 6pt GOS comes soon for rg6

nelsonob1
09-08-2019, 09:43 PM
We have five bulls from 7 point to spike all on same hill and not one bugling. Took 5 point two days ago but very little reaction to any calling. Really want the 7 point in archery but only a couple of days left.

btridge
09-09-2019, 06:33 AM
Yes, the Elk are buggling, 4 days in a row we have had bulls going.

j270wsm
09-09-2019, 08:18 AM
Listened to 2 bulls scream at each other 2 nights ago but watched 2 bulls play fight lastnight. The bulls that were bugling were bigger bulls and they had 40 cows between them.

rocksteady
09-09-2019, 08:32 AM
No bugling where i was all morning.. saw elk at 35 yards but no vocals

willyqbc
09-10-2019, 02:30 PM
Saw a reasonable amount of sign where we were this morning, no bugles to be heard.

rocksteady
09-10-2019, 03:00 PM
Still no bugles.. was on site 30 minutes before shooting lught..

J_T
09-11-2019, 06:12 AM
We spotted bulls on the 31st. Moved into them on the 1st. They were calling and moving away. But they bugled until Noon. Day 2 we moved in on a bachelor group of 3 bulls, moved to within 60 yards. We kept the bulls bugling until 1:30. Moved from one group of bulls to the next. The bigger ones with cows moved off, other bulls moved in. Had them at 40 yrds for a while. Bulls were initiating the bugling. We responded with bugles and we moved with cow calls. In tight we used a combination of cow/calf calling and bugling.

Best hard hunting we've done in a while. Gaining the elevation in the dark and hunting the small pockets on the mtn top. Moving along ridges, watching the wind and moving through elk zone. A few face plants, a few cuts and some bruising. Its tough country. Great for the soul.

Ron.C
09-11-2019, 06:23 AM
JT, sounds like a great hunt!!!

happyhunter
09-11-2019, 08:07 AM
We spotted bulls on the 31st. Moved into them on the 1st. They were calling and moving away. But they bugled until Noon. Day 2 we moved in on a bachelor group of 3 bulls, moved to within 60 yards. We kept the bulls bugling until 1:30. Moved from one group of bulls to the next. The bigger ones with cows moved off, other bulls moved in. Had them at 40 yrds for a while. Bulls were initiating the bugling. We responded with bugles and we moved with cow calls. In tight we used a combination of cow/calf calling and bugling.

Best hard hunting we've done in a while. Gaining the elevation in the dark and hunting the small pockets on the mtn top. Moving along ridges, watching the wind and moving through elk zone. A few face plants, a few cuts and some bruising. Its tough country. Great for the soul.

That sounds awesome! What kind of miles are you putting in for days like that?

J_T
09-11-2019, 08:22 AM
That sounds awesome! What kind of miles are you putting in for days like that?
Our average day was 10 - 12km, in tough country, and an elevation rise and fall of about 600 metres. ( I use a Fit bit, and Samsung phone, as well as Avenza mapping for distance and elevation confirmations)
Usually started hiking around 4:30AM, into the pocket by daylight. The speed of the hunt depended on the elk location and our location proximal to them. Sometimes it felt like flowing yoga or tai chi movements. Minimal food, maximum water.

rocksteady
09-11-2019, 08:55 AM
Zero heard or seen at my cam ��

Bugle M In
09-11-2019, 10:04 AM
Good stuff JT.
Rock, just be patient.
Granted, having to contend with private property might be your downfall in this pursuit.
Nothing worse than "no go borders" to stop one from getting into the action and having success.
I know it is an issue for me, and can be super frustrating, but part of the deal.

But like JT described, a big bull with the cows is hard to suck in and is why so many speak of "going in after them" (this is for other novice members).
But, JT also states younger bulls will come in.
It's just a toss of the dice if it is legal or not in size.

Brent376
09-11-2019, 10:55 AM
Been watching this thread for a while now. Interesting. Where I am, I'm seeing sign. No bugling and nothing seen. 8-5

dapesche
09-11-2019, 11:21 AM
Im in West Koots. Have had some morning gathering bugles in the morning. Cows were stubborn but moved higher and disappeared. No further talking after that. Last Friday were had a bull going after more gathering bugles and cow sounds. Took me three tries, but the final ripping bugle and chuckle woke the bull up. Quiet chuckles in response. We ramped him up and had it at 40yds but couldn't close the deal. Took a lot of encouragement to get him going.

rocksteady
09-11-2019, 12:37 PM
Good stuff JT.
Rock, just be patient.
Granted, having to contend with private property might be your downfall in this pursuit.
Nothing worse than "no go borders" to stop one from getting into the action and having success.
I know it is an issue for me, and can be super frustrating, but part of the deal.

But like JT described, a big bull with the cows is hard to suck in and is why so many speak of "going in after them" (this is for other novice members).
But, JT also states younger bulls will come in.
It's just a toss of the dice if it is legal or not in size.

Where my salt site is its all crown land

Bugle M In
09-11-2019, 01:46 PM
Okay, well I guess a few days will tell.

Anybody else possibly pushing them, or are you lucky in that regards?

bruce44
09-11-2019, 03:16 PM
Went out from 540am to 12pm around 7-34. I didnt hear anything. I did call in a cow though. She just walked up the trail I was on, but didn't make a sound.

rocksteady
09-11-2019, 03:31 PM
Okay, well I guess a few days will tell.

Anybody else possibly pushing them, or are you lucky in that regards?

No one else in area. Small inconspicuous patch not worth hunting.. but they are in there.. maybe 20 hectares of deep dark elk habitat

J_T
09-11-2019, 06:00 PM
FYI, we never heard a cow or calf mew. Not once. When we cow talked, the wolves came in quick. I dont think the wolves bother the bulls at this time of year, but the cows and calves are on alert.

RackStar
09-11-2019, 08:19 PM
Slow for last 6 days. Elk are lit up tonightnin the peace. Non stop bugling.

Tom should be good

happyhunter
09-11-2019, 09:37 PM
Our average day was 10 - 12km, in tough country, and an elevation rise and fall of about 600 metres. ( I use a Fit bit, and Samsung phone, as well as Avenza mapping for distance and elevation confirmations)
Usually started hiking around 4:30AM, into the pocket by daylight. The speed of the hunt depended on the elk location and our location proximal to them. Sometimes it felt like flowing yoga or tai chi movements. Minimal food, maximum water.

Sounds like a tough hunt but lots of action to keep you going. Good luck on your next outing!

j270wsm
09-12-2019, 11:03 AM
Even though we havent heard any bugles since the evening of the 8th, the kid managed to get a bull lastnight. Sometimes it pays to just sit and glass an areas that you know holds elk.

rocksteady
09-12-2019, 11:11 AM
Congrats.. any pics??

willyqbc
09-12-2019, 11:14 AM
congrats j270!! Looking forward to pics and a story hopefully!

as for me.....fresh sign from last night where I was this morning....still no bugles heard

willyqbc
09-13-2019, 09:43 AM
Know of a bull taken yesterday near P.G., came in totally silent to a mix of bugles and cow calls

Bugle M In
09-13-2019, 10:36 AM
Know of a bull taken yesterday near P.G., came in totally silent to a mix of bugles and cow calls

Many hunters don't realize how often that happens!
It can pay to sit in one area all day.
I am sure there were plenty of elk I never saw that came in silent and winded me over the years.
Many I did see, but never heard.

willyqbc
09-14-2019, 03:04 PM
The kid bumped 2 satellite bulls this morning (4x4, 4x5)....must have been reasonably close to a herd....but still no elk noise to be heard!

Phila
09-15-2019, 08:10 AM
Actively bugling in WMU 7-50

browningboy
09-15-2019, 08:24 AM
Headed up Pasayton area mid week for elk, here’s hoping some are bugling!

Backwoods
09-15-2019, 08:26 AM
Just got home from region 7-50 sheep hunt and on the way out heard bulls screaming in the deep thick valley bottoms in the am 7 degrees out raining, driving down the Alaska hwy had a great 6x6 bull cross about 20 yards infront of the truck was awesome to those huge antlers polished up from raking trees, went into reg 7-33 next day to a friends property and had a nice 6x6 that came in silent took us off guard or first 5 min off sitting after we bugled once, we didn’t even have time to set up on him before he busted us, that was at last light, 8:30pm ish and 9 degrees out in Fsj, next morning found were they beat the shit out of every tree standing an sat for 10 min an got in the middle of a screaming match between two bulls but we couldn’t get them out, went to Backcountry (best hunting store ever) bought the Montana cow elk decoy, went back to the property set up same spot and had 4 cow elk come out to decoy from 300 yards up too 70 yards! Sadly cows didn’t open until the 15th but was great to see that decoy work, highly recommended but play safe with it during open cow season so you don’t get shot

Jrax
09-15-2019, 10:43 AM
Just got home from region 7-50 sheep hunt and on the way out heard bulls screaming in the deep thick valley bottoms in the am 7 degrees out raining, driving down the Alaska hwy had a great 6x6 bull cross about 20 yards infront of the truck was awesome to those huge antlers polished up from raking trees, went into reg 7-33 next day to a friends property and had a nice 6x6 that came in silent took us off guard or first 5 min off sitting after we bugled once, we didn’t even have time to set up on him before he busted us, that was at last light, 8:30pm ish and 9 degrees out in Fsj, next morning found were they beat the shit out of every tree standing an sat for 10 min an got in the middle of a screaming match between two bulls but we couldn’t get them out, went to Backcountry (best hunting store ever) bought the Montana cow elk decoy, went back to the property set up same spot and had 4 cow elk come out to decoy from 300 yards up too 70 yards! Sadly cows didn’t open until the 15th but was great to see that decoy work, highly recommended but play safe with it during open cow season so you don’t get shot

sounds like a great trip! sheep success? heading up to 7-42 in 4 days, hoping to get into some elk talk

250 sav
09-15-2019, 06:05 PM
A buddy got one in the peace this morning, it came in screaming

LBM
09-15-2019, 07:10 PM
Every day is different some days quit some bugling and cows talking.
Lots of elk being taking in the EK so far

HarryToolips
09-15-2019, 09:28 PM
^^^^thats good to hear, so are pops in the EK back on the upswing maybe? Heard no bugles so far but did hear a lone cow mewing in reg 8 thus far...

J_T
09-16-2019, 06:26 AM
^^^^thats good to hear, so are pops in the EK back on the upswing maybe? Heard no bugles so far but did hear a lone cow mewing in reg 8 thus far...
With the easier winter and great summer feed selection, the elk did recover a bit this past year. In early August, all my cams were showing one to one ratios with cows and calves. (At least any cow I saw on cam, I could account a calf to) This year there was a definite increase in spike bulls. Always a good sign for next year.

I'm not sure populations are up up, but trending that way. I think the main obstacle we face is expectation. I believe Government want 8500 elk, while I'd prefer something in the 25,000 range.

HarryToolips
09-16-2019, 11:30 AM
Well that's good to hear, but yes more would be nice...do we need to pressure the government to not be so dictated by the cattleman's association?

J_T
09-16-2019, 11:44 AM
Well that's good to hear, but yes more would be nice...do we need to pressure the government to not be so dictated by the cattleman's association?
For sure. My judgement of current Government is they talk about doing the right things. Strategies, objective setting, plans, and action. Although they don't have the resources/budget to do everything and they seem to be more reactive than objective and results based. The current reaction to CWD is a good example.

Bugle M In
09-16-2019, 03:44 PM
This is the part everyone on HBC and who hunts the EK for Elk needs to understand!!!
We need money for Habitat Enhancement (imo, Protected Winter Range), that's a give me folks!!
BUT, there sure as hell wont be that much money put towards it IF they are only asking that the NEW # for
Elk is 8,500!!!!'
WHICH, FYI, we are not that far away from that number anyways, estimates last year were around 6800 Elk.
So, if you think the Elk hunting (the valleys being alive with Bugling) is just perfect and all okay, then do
nothing.
IF you think it "blows" then understand what is coming and start pushing for much higher Elk #'s.
Then, if we have money, the will have to throw it into the EK.
That low elk # they want, is so they don't have to correct the wrongs of the past!!!!
Sorry, back to Bugling Reports.
Good post J-T!!

Taylor329
09-16-2019, 05:14 PM
Nothing to report.. Stuck at my desk at work...

Question for all.. What are the elk usually doing around Thanksgiving long weekend? Let's say Nakusp to Revelstoke-ish area. This will be my only chance to hunt looks like this year so I wanted to try and find an area where I have a chance at a mixed bag of stuff, Elk being preferred. I've never hunted in this region so it will be a new venture for me. Found some nice spots that I think would hold deer or bear or something at least.

Brew
09-16-2019, 05:23 PM
I’ll have a report by the weekend. Headed to the halfway river on Thursday. Looking forward to it.

stixnstones
09-16-2019, 08:15 PM
They were chatting tonight called in 2 4point bulls tonight from 1100 yds to 124. Oh well

HarryToolips
09-16-2019, 08:27 PM
For sure. My judgement of current Government is they talk about doing the right things. Strategies, objective setting, plans, and action. Although they don't have the resources/budget to do everything and they seem to be more reactive than objective and results based. The current reaction to CWD is a good example.
Yes it's really sad the lack of resources being thrown into hunting...has all our hunting licence revenue been officially all put back into wildlife and habitat like they're supposed to yet? Not that I've heard..that's the start we need..

HarryToolips
09-16-2019, 08:30 PM
This is the part everyone on HBC and who hunts the EK for Elk needs to understand!!!
We need money for Habitat Enhancement (imo, Protected Winter Range), that's a give me folks!!
BUT, there sure as hell wont be that much money put towards it IF they are only asking that the NEW # for
Elk is 8,500!!!!'
WHICH, FYI, we are not that far away from that number anyways, estimates last year were around 6800 Elk.
So, if you think the Elk hunting (the valleys being alive with Bugling) is just perfect and all okay, then do
nothing.
IF you think it "blows" then understand what is coming and start pushing for much higher Elk #'s.
Then, if we have money, the will have to throw it into the EK.
That low elk # they want, is so they don't have to correct the wrongs of the past!!!!
Sorry, back to Bugling Reports.
Good post J-T!!

Sorry to derail the thread...how come our BCWF federation hasn't been standing up for wildlife against the cattlemans association? Because ultimately, we want more wildlife, more elk = more bugling activity!

Bugle M In
09-16-2019, 11:01 PM
Sorry to derail the thread...how come our BCWF federation hasn't been standing up for wildlife against the cattlemans association? Because ultimately, we want more wildlife, more elk = more bugling activity!

Honestly, hard to know who is all against having more elk.
I'm sure ranchers are just one group, and we have heard about ICBC and collision reduction (build fences then).
And I suspect even Developers are against anything being designated Winter Range and thus off-limits.
It's just how much everything has changed in 30 years now, and there are a bunch more players that are also probably not mentioned.
J-T probably has a better grasp on all the "behind the scenes" bs, but either way, having a low target of elk population for the future allows
the government to get "off the hook"!
And we hunters get blamed and restricted further.

Anyways, best to put that to another thread.
Elk Bugling Report is a great thread to have right now.

LBM
09-17-2019, 05:49 AM
Would not say they are on the upswing, we actually are seeing less in some of the areas we hunt, and do counts in the winter, spring, summer and fall. But as JT mentioned cows had calves, and
seeing yearlings from last year. Not seeing the number of spikes as have prevously. Hunter numbers are way up in some of the areas though.
As for bugling they were quit active again last few days as well as the cows talking, not as much yesterday afternoon, but a young lady was still able to take her first bull.

moosinaround
09-19-2019, 04:35 AM
7-9/7-15 elk are going crazy tonight!! I was listening to 3 bulls scrap at work tonight, lighting it up!! Of course I had to instigate a bit!! I heard them from our lunch area, and they haven’t stopped since 2100 last night!! Moosin

Quiet Hunter
09-19-2019, 09:25 PM
Don't tempt me im in port coquitlam