PDA

View Full Version : Elk hunters

RackStar
08-29-2019, 08:05 AM
To all the die hard elk hunters.

How many years have you been elk hunting and how many bulls have you harvested?

its one thing to tip over a deer or 3 every year, but how many harvest elk regularly?

How much time pre season and during season goes into your wapiti addiction?

Myself, I got full blown addicted last season, spent all spring and summer hiking and scouting and trail caming. Zero elk harvested for me, but I’ve dedicated more time then ever to hunt this year. I’m looking forward to it. Only 3 days until opener. Good luck everyone.

wifigary
08-29-2019, 08:34 AM
First year for me last year, archery hunting got within 43 yards of a giant and had a second satellite bull at 87 yards. Couldn't seal the deal, so we're headed back to get them on Sunday.

Darksith
08-29-2019, 08:59 AM
Since I don't have elk in my local area...I don't get to hunt them daily. I have spent over 100 days hunting elk, zero bulls down so far...:(
Hopefully this year is my year haha, heading south Sept 13

danno74
08-29-2019, 09:23 AM
Been hunting elk about 15 years, got my first LEH draw and bull elk in 2009. I've been fortunate enough to harvest 6 bulls total so far. Totally addicted, once you hear the bugle and call one in to 50 yards, your hooked for life. I have a once in a lifetime Vancouver Island Rosevelt bull draw this year starting in October.

Jrax
08-29-2019, 09:41 AM
Started hunting elk 10 years ago with about 6 solid attempts of about 8 days each year (only because I cant hunt elk in smithers and have 3 kids, otherwise the number would skyrocket!). 2 successful hunts with 2 6pts and many close calls with either making a mistake or just not knowing how to close the final yards and seal the deal. Every year has been more action with elk and armed with more knowledge, more experience, better calling and better gear.

Both elk were last day and second last day of hunt. This year I hope to get one early to take pressure off and enjoy the rest of the hunt and calling for buddies.

0 days pre-season and scouting.

This year will be 9 days hunting in a great area. Leaving in 21 days!!

Bugle M In
08-29-2019, 11:17 AM
Since 1985 for me when I could carry a rifle and hunt, but went on my first elk adventure to the same area in 1976 with my dad and his friends.
For me, I think it is 15 bulls in total and no cows.
Been part of other friends success as well, usually being the one that does the calling, probably around 5 or so.
And then others own their own during the time we are up there.

Usually only spend 9 or 10 days, but 2 of them are travel time from the LM, mind you the drive up was always at nght and arrived at 1st light.
(almost 42 hours up straight without sleep!)
Most of the success came in the late 80's and the 90's.
Not so much now.

Scouting was just getting out on the mtn bikes and hitting areas that we learned over time was were they would hang.
I think what we really accomplished best, was learning "how they travel" and their little secret routes back and forth across the river as they
worked they way up or down.
So, we looked for elk tracks, fresh ones.
That was first and foremost, and then we zeroed in on them more.

Best all around success was just sitting along the river, that had a long pinch point and calling.
Could be nothing for 6 days straight, and then the last 6 hours, have 2 bulls down.
There was one trail they liked to use to come out an look what was up, and we dropped atleast 10 elk in that same 5 yard circle.
It was literally a bone yard as we would debone the game right there.

todbartell
08-29-2019, 12:41 PM
this will be my 13th season hunting elk, have taken six bulls. Have served a few up on a platter for partners too

Not too many hours go by in a day when I am not thinking about elk

BCHunterFSJ
08-29-2019, 12:52 PM
I believe I have taken 10 bulls in the 30 years I have hunted in Region 7b ...

wideopenthrottle
08-29-2019, 12:54 PM
I have never hunted them but have 1 6x6 I got on a GOS by pure luck (in my current avitar)
I put 3 elk pics on the gallery here but still haven't learned to post them properly...apologies in advance

rocksteady
08-29-2019, 02:20 PM
Not gonna say...

Elk are my passion and i am quite successful.. stats mean nada... i prefer lbs in the frrezer vs inches of bone for B&C or P&Y

My biggest bull, bone wise was over 310.. biggest weight was over 500 on the hook.

RackStar
08-29-2019, 02:41 PM
Awesome!

sorry I didn’t ask for “stats” for bragging rights, just generally curious on others success, as I have a very very small network of hunters that I hunt with / talk to.

Thanks for the reply’s so far, good job guys.

Boner
08-29-2019, 02:49 PM
Well I'm sorry to say I haven’t sealed the deal on an elk. I had two good chances in the same year that I mucked up. Looking back I probably wasn’t aggressive enough and was situated in the wrong place for a clear shot.

I have called them in numerous times for a clear shot, but not enough points. That’s when the camera comes out! :)

Ron.C
08-29-2019, 04:36 PM
Have hunted elk in 14 seasons over the years.

Got 1 cow (bow), 1 calf (bow), 1 spike (bow), 1 cow(muzzleloader), 1 5x5 (bow).

I had some great hunts over the years and called in some good animals. Come close to a few big boys but never able to close the deal. Absolutely nothing to date compares to having a bull screaming at you in the timber. 100% most exciting huntng Ive ever done is hunting rutting elk. And nothing is enjoyed more at my families table then elk meat, regardless of how its prepared.

Haydenmk
08-29-2019, 05:37 PM
Ive hunted Elk 5 years now in the Kootenays (8 days hunting each year). Haven't even seen a 6 point I coulda put the sights on, so zero bulls for me. But it's always been a good time. Haven't been able to scout it much.

j270wsm
08-29-2019, 05:41 PM
Cant remember the exact number but I’ve taken at least 10 bulls and 2 cows. First bull elk I was 19(2000), one cow( archery ). My son shot his first elk( cow on my tag ) when he was 10(2013), he has taken 3 bulls since then. Biggest elk was a 305” archery bull but I agree with rocksteady.....filling my freezer is the more important than antler size.

HarryToolips
08-29-2019, 09:33 PM
I love hunting elk, have been for about a week a season for the last 4 seasons or so...unfortunately I usually can only hunt them for about a week before going back to focusing on deer so I can at least get a couple deer in the freezer..the last few years I've been putting about a week or two total pre season into scouting..

Rattler
08-29-2019, 10:00 PM
Have taken a half dozen bulls now and called many in for friends. Nothing quite like screaming bulls. Probably spend at least two weeks every year hunting elk. Scouting is non existent. Learn to bugle and cover ground until you get a bull to respond. Always be mindful of the wind because that is the number one reason why elk will bust you. Suggest subscribing to Elk 101 university of elk. A lot of excellent elk advice in that course.

Mudsey
08-29-2019, 10:21 PM
Got a couple bulls in Region 4 in the early 1990's when was a GOS for 3pt and bigger. Have hunted Region 7A and B a few times in the last 10 yrs with no success.

Bugle M In
08-29-2019, 10:39 PM
I was lucky that only 1 was less than 6pt's all those times.
Now it seems hard to find a 6.
5 pts I see still but also less.

Bugle M In
08-29-2019, 10:43 PM
Well I'm sorry to say I haven’t sealed the deal on an elk. I had two good chances in the same year that I mucked up. Looking back I probably wasn’t aggressive enough and was situated in the wrong place for a clear shot.

I have called them in numerous times for a clear shot, but not enough points. That’s when the camera comes out! :)

Don't be too hard on yourself.
I know I have screwed up as man, if not more chances then the success I have had.
Nikki Luada (F1 superstar) had a saying, and I truly believe he meant it!.....

He learned more from losing a race than he ever did from winning one.
So, you have to lose to learn to win.

HighCountryBC
08-30-2019, 06:52 AM
Have taken a half dozen bulls now and called many in for friends. Nothing quite like screaming bulls. Probably spend at least two weeks every year hunting elk. Scouting is non existent. Learn to bugle and cover ground until you get a bull to respond. Always be mindful of the wind because that is the number one reason why elk will bust you. Suggest subscribing to Elk 101 university of elk. A lot of excellent elk advice in that course.

Agree with the majority of this but have to say scouting is a huge part for our group. Simply from an inventory perspective. Pretty easy to pick a drainage that has elk in it, and any decent elk hunter can probably get a bull to light up. We scout to know who is running the neighborhood. Not all the guys in our group care about what kind of numbers a bull will throw up but it is a lot easier to pass up a decent bull when you know there is 360"+ patrolling the hills.

Rattler
08-30-2019, 08:57 AM
Agree with the majority of this but have to say scouting is a huge part for our group. Simply from an inventory perspective. Pretty easy to pick a drainage that has elk in it, and any decent elk hunter can probably get a bull to light up. We scout to know who is running the neighborhood. Not all the guys in our group care about what kind of numbers a bull will throw up but it is a lot easier to pass up a decent bull when you know there is 360"+ patrolling the hills.

Our group is not selective...first 6pt goes down. Agree if one was looking for a better bull then maybe scouting would help. The issue in WK are the bulls will travel over 20km to find cows. So one can camera up and scout, but there is a high likelihood that bull won’t be there come hunting season.

dapesche
08-30-2019, 09:25 AM
well I am getting excited. Just got a text from a my friend. Bulls were bugling in the spot that I hunt until 5:30am before making their way up the mtn. They are fired up. Hopefully they stay that way until Sunday/Monday.
I am trying to cut my first elk tag. 3rd year hunting and have been close each year. Keep learning more with every season.

Liveforthehunt
08-30-2019, 09:31 AM
Rattler

This I agree and disagree with I think it's a mixed bag... 2 years ago had 7 different legal bulls on cams first couple weeks of September one particular was shot by a buddy 36+ km away 3 days later and I'm sure they will travel even further in shorter periods of time . Also the past few years I have had bulls hang in a 5km radius from early july through end of September until the snow pushed them out... in saying that cows around all summer as well

Bugle M In
08-30-2019, 11:33 AM
Lone Bulls "will travel" a long way in search of cows.
Yes, some big bulls can hang close by cows during the summer for sure, but others will search.
A bull that loses a battle in one area will move on to another area to see if he can win there.

36+ kms away, i believe that easily!

RackStar
08-30-2019, 11:41 AM
Early season, sept 1 - 15.

Are you guys covering as much ground as possible , trying to locate using location bugles, or mostly cow calls?

ive been listening to elknut podcasts a lot, he seems to swear by location bugles.

rocksteady
08-30-2019, 12:05 PM

Are you guys covering as much ground as possible , trying to locate using location bugles, or mostly cow calls?

ive been listening to elknut podcasts a lot, he seems to swear by location bugles.

Yes and no.. if they are there they respond (bigger bulls) spikers stay quiet

rocksteady
08-30-2019, 12:06 PM
Find the sign.. poop.. rubs, tracks.. start there

rocksteady
08-30-2019, 12:09 PM

Every elk hunter swears by their methods... does not apply to every herd and bull..

I have heard bulls screaming that you thought, no way, that us the crappiest bugle i have ever heard, you better practice more and then a six walks out of the bush

Island Hunter 79
08-30-2019, 01:13 PM
Congrats on your draw, I as well got a draw up in 1-09. Looking to head up in early Oct as well. Good Luck!

wideopenthrottle
08-30-2019, 01:39 PM
Every elk hunter swears by their methods... does not apply to every herd and bull..

I have heard bulls screaming that you thought, no way, that us the crappiest bugle i have ever heard, you better practice more and then a six walks out of the bush

I had that happen with a cow moose one time where you would have sworn that it was some guy doing the calling who had no clue how to do it at all-only there was no way anyone could have been in that swamp.... then she would do some more typical sounds before running around splashing and wailing like a toddler "fake crying" again... I spent an hour as it was getting dark with her wailing and two or three bulls in the timber out of sight that I was trying to call in....3 of us walked up to that spot the next morning and got a bull/...ill put a pic of the bull in the HBC gallery

RackStar
08-30-2019, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the tips rocksteady,

got the areas lined up, have heard bugles last week, and we have half a dozen good bulls on the cameras. Just waiting to get out Sunday morning. But I am going into a area with a higher elk population next week that I have not scouted before. Then back home to hunt the areas we scouted all year.

Good luck rocksteady...

charlie_horse
08-30-2019, 01:52 PM
I personally bugle constantly for location if I'm covering ground. Something eventually answers, I personally think it's a very effective start to locate an elk in the area and come up with a game plan from there. That being said I'm sure I've walked right past bulls staying silent.

todbartell
08-30-2019, 02:16 PM
why would a bull stay silent?

Bugle M In
08-30-2019, 02:23 PM
Find the sign.. poop.. rubs, tracks.. start there

Yes, good advice there.
My dad bugles like he is learning for the first time after all these years and still gets them to come in.

And yes, look for fresh sign is my main goal.

I agree with the thoughts like this:

Hunt using your bino's first.
Some terrain you can see a lot of the area.
And if you see something, take it on like a goat/sheep hunter, imo.
Quiet and stalking close is always the best method first.

But, as is the case for me, the terrain is mostly treed etc, so I have to go with locating calls and mostly cow calls.
Others like to sit in wait.
I spent much of my time along a river in one particular area for many years now.
Can be boring, but have had my best success doing just that and calling.

Other times I will hit a area where there might be 5 or 6 locations to try and hunt in, and sitting in those locations for several hours at a time.
Sometimes the call and come in, other times they just show up.
Squirrels will let you know if something is around (I'm serious!)

But each morning, no matter which way I intend to hunt or where, I am always searching for even a single fresh track as to tell me if something has changed
and there might be elk present close by.

Mentioned was elk travelling many km's in a day (mostly at night, imo)
That fact alone does not help one locate elk any better, not at all.
The knowledge of it is to help "keep you positive"!
I have sat at a river for 5 or 6 straight days, with nothing to hear or see.
But I remind myself that each day is a new day and today might be the day an elk has traveled into you area.
And it has helped to know this and stick with it.
(granted, the last 3 seasons has tested my patience to limit, and may have even destroyed it last season:-()

I find that the solo bulls that wander this much tend to be larger bulls.
The smaller bulls tend to already be around/ or close by a main group of cows.
Which, if you see small spikers etc, you may not be that far off the main herd.
(but, they could still be a couple of clicks in the vicinity....nothing is a give me)
But I find the solo tracks of a bull elk walking straight lines along the river for long distances tend to be bigger bulls, not the young ones.
Those are the bulls that respond really well to bugling and cow calling.

A herd bull with cows, bugling from a distance is almost suicide.
That's when you have to realize, if you haven't seen them by glass, that you have to go after them.

Bugle M In
08-30-2019, 02:27 PM

I have seen it.
A bull with a harem of cows and a couple of hunters some distance below them bugling etc looking for elk, and that bull stayed perfectly quiet.
Hunters moved on because they didn't spot them and didn't hear a thing.
Got that bull the next morning:D

Sometimes a bull will just sit in a wallow all day, not move an inch nor respond.
Then, for no reason, it decides to respond just before dark.
Hard to figure out why?

tracker
08-30-2019, 02:42 PM

human hunting pressure and predator hunting pressure seen it many times ..

todbartell
08-30-2019, 03:02 PM
Hard to figure out why?

because we don't watch enough Primos videos

rocksteady
08-30-2019, 03:52 PM
Elk are so misunderstood.. do everything ny the book from Primos/Born and Raised outdoors/ elk 101..

Elk don't play by the playbook.. thats what keeps them interesting

HighCountryBC
08-30-2019, 04:08 PM
Rattler,

Completely agree, most hunters/groups are not selective. Some of us are. One drainage we hunt usually has 8-10 cameras between all the hanging valleys, saddles etc. In nearly a decade we haven't got more than a dink raghorn on any of those cams during the summer - cows/calves and small bulls. Once the end of August hits, things change drastically and the real bulls roll in. This goes on well into October. Most guys in our small group will pop a primer on the first legal bull they see but they've been known to change their standards more than once when a hammer is hanging around. No arguing that cam inventory is responsible for that. We don't hang our cams where the bulls are in the summer, it's pointless because they won't be there come September. The areas they roll into during the rut get carpet bombed, however.

Ourea
08-30-2019, 05:14 PM
We've put some dandies on the ground and have passed on numerous bulls every season.
If you get away from pressure..... elk will do what elk do and are fairly predictable and easy to find.
Hunt pressured areas and it is a much tougher proposition to find success.

When elk get bounced, ESPECIALLY OUT OF THEIR BEDDING AREA, they can easily move 5 to 10 miles to find safety again.
Get away from pressured areas and focus on locations that boast good habitat and elk should come fairly easily.

https://i.imgur.com/1VtC57b.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KY49Lbh.jpg

Boner
08-30-2019, 06:28 PM
Now that there is a Jim Dandy. Thanks for sharing!

RackStar
08-30-2019, 06:57 PM
Awesome, thanks for all the tips. I can tell everyone’s counting down the days.

RackStar
08-30-2019, 06:59 PM
^^^^^
Very impressive.

Arctic Lake
08-30-2019, 07:08 PM
To all the die hard elk hunters.

How many years have you been elk hunting and how many bulls have you harvested?

its one thing to tip over a deer or 3 every year, but how many harvest elk regularly?

How much time pre season and during season goes into your wapiti addiction?

Myself, I got full blown addicted last season, spent all spring and summer hiking and scouting and trail caming. Zero elk harvested for me, but I’ve dedicated more time then ever to hunt this year. I’m looking forward to it. Only 3 days until opener. Good luck everyone.

RackStar
I have never hunted elk but defineatly would like to . I think of elk as majestic animals , monarchs if you will.
, Would love to learn how to call . I have learned to call moose and been successful with that . Would like to learn from someone who is an ethical Hunter not a druggy obviously does not drink alcohol when hunting , but enjoys a beverage around the campfire at night . Maybe there is someone on HBC that is older and seasoned that needs a helping hand
Arctic Lake

Bugle M In
08-30-2019, 07:21 PM
Rattler,

Completely agree, most hunters/groups are not selective. Some of us are. One drainage we hunt usually has 8-10 cameras between all the hanging valleys, saddles etc. In nearly a decade we haven't got more than a dink raghorn on any of those cams during the summer - cows/calves and small bulls. Once the end of August hits, things change drastically and the real bulls roll in. This goes on well into October. Most guys in our small group will pop a primer on the first legal bull they see but they've been known to change their standards more than once when a hammer is hanging around. No arguing that cam inventory is responsible for that. We don't hang our cams where the bulls are in the summer, it's pointless because they won't be there come September. The areas they roll into during the rut get carpet bombed, however.

Yup, I talked to a few loggers who spent the whole summer in the valley, way up, in some decent cutblocks and big fire habitat.
They were disappointed at the fact that they hadn't seen a single elk in there the whole summer.
Then, in a day, everything changed, and then they spotted over 50 elk in there.
Just like that.

Bugle M In
08-30-2019, 07:23 PM
We've put some dandies on the ground and have passed on numerous bulls every season.
If you get away from pressure..... elk will do what elk do and are fairly predictable and easy to find.

When elk get bounced, ESPECIALLY OUT OF THEIR BEDDING AREA, they can easily move 5 to 10 miles to find safety again.
Get away from pressured areas that boast good habitat and elk should come fairly easily.

Yup, you go in and blow it, and yes, they are gone.
Then your back to scouting/tracking.

HighCountryBC
08-30-2019, 07:24 PM
Yup, I talked to a few loggers who spent the whole summer in the valley, way up, in some decent cutblocks and big fire habitat.
They were disappointed at the fact that they hadn't seen a single elk in there the whole summer.
Then, in a day, everything changed, and then they spotted over 50 elk in there.
Just like that.

Pretty standard.

orest.06
08-31-2019, 08:07 AM
Nice harvest. How many points each side?

eastkoot
08-31-2019, 02:01 PM
My Dad started me early at 14-15, I am now 68, haven't hunted elk for 4-5 years. Have a disability which does not allow me to hunt any longer. Just out of curiosity I just went into the jewelry box and counted my ivories and have 40 so that means 20 elk in my lifetime..But, I do live where I can be hunting elk within 5 minutes from home..

HarryToolips
08-31-2019, 09:37 PM
^^^very impressive, sorry to hear of your disability..

Muliechaser
09-01-2019, 05:10 AM
Good luck everybody!

Mc

madcalfe
09-01-2019, 06:03 AM
been hunting them for 4 years. and shot 6 points every year within 50 yards of them screaming.

Ron.C
09-01-2019, 06:34 AM
AWESOME BULL Ourea!!!!!!!!!

https://i.imgur.com/KY49Lbh.jpg[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Ourea;2113587]We've put some dandies on the ground and have passed on numerous bulls every season.

Get away from pressured areas and focus on locations that boast good habitat and elk should come fairly easily.

Arctic Lake
09-01-2019, 02:50 PM
Maybe I should put in for an LEH elk next year .Do you think fellas would be forthcoming on helping a guy out to point him to a best place to hunt in an if he get’s an LEH draw ?
Arctic Lake

rocksteady
09-01-2019, 03:18 PM
Maybe I should put infor an LEH elk . Do you think fellas would be forthcoming on helping a guy out to best place to hunt in an if he get’s an LEH draw ?
Arctic Lake

Um.knowing HBC... probably not

Arctic Lake
09-01-2019, 03:52 PM
Um.knowing HBC... probably not
LOL. I guess one can hope !,
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
09-01-2019, 03:55 PM
Sorry to the OP no intention of derailing your thread . Check out the movie about the elk hunter who overcame adversity to continue in life and hunt again . Movie is Charged on Amazon Prime
Arctic Lake

REMINGTON JIM
09-01-2019, 03:56 PM
Artic Lake - Weatherby Fan - GEF and Remington Jim to the East KOOTs on a open 6 pt Hunt ! :D RJ

Arctic Lake
09-01-2019, 04:32 PM
Artic Lake - Weatherby Fan - GEF and Remington Jim to the East KOOTs on a open 6 pt Hunt ! :D RJ

LOL. I see where this is going . Your thinking I would be the slowest of the three of us so I become dinner for Mr. GRIZZ
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
09-01-2019, 04:35 PM

What a magnificent animal !
Arctic Lake

Sharpish
09-01-2019, 06:25 PM
Roosevelt. Get an LEH tag first.

Ourea
09-01-2019, 06:27 PM
What a magnificent animal !
Arctic Lake

Bit of a poser picture but a very respectable bull

Piperdown
09-01-2019, 06:35 PM
You are a bit of a poser :mrgreen: Beauty bull!!

willyqbc
09-01-2019, 08:03 PM
If i recall, when my hunting partners and I started hunting elk, it took us 3 years to figure it out and actually connect on a bull. the following 7 seasons we connected on 14 more bulls. After that, things in everyones lives changed and we haven't been on an elk trip in 6 or 7 years now.

first bull I ever took

https://i.imgur.com/zZi6v4w.jpg

Last bull I took

https://i.imgur.com/5fNkhza.jpg?1

Decided its been to long so even if its just local, gonna get the bugle dusted off this year!

LBM
09-01-2019, 08:26 PM
If i recall, when my hunting partners and I started hunting elk, it took us 3 years to figure it out and actually connect on a bull. the following 7 seasons we connected on 14 more bulls. After that, things in everyones lives changed and we haven't been on an elk trip in 6 or 7 years now.

first bull I ever took

Last bull I took

Decided its been to long so even if its just local, gonna get the bugle dusted off this year!

Some beauty looking bulls there congrats.

HarryToolips
09-01-2019, 09:04 PM
Some incredible lookin bulls there guys...

REMINGTON JIM
09-01-2019, 09:12 PM

so you don't detect him :p RJ

REMINGTON JIM
09-01-2019, 09:15 PM

first bull I ever took

WOW ! Chris thats a GREAT one ! :-) Mine saying where it was taken ? :smile: RJ

willyqbc
09-01-2019, 09:21 PM
RJ....all the bulls we took back then were around to the cameron river or the sikanni river

Arctic Lake
09-02-2019, 08:45 AM

first bull I ever took

Last bull I took

Beauties ! Yes , you know what your doing go again you only get one go on this planet !
Arctic Lake

Talltimber1
09-03-2019, 01:47 PM
I got an Island leh draw for a bull. I also got ACL surgery 4 days ago. Does anyone know how to tie a noose so I can end my misery?

rocksteady
09-03-2019, 01:56 PM
I got an Island leh draw for a bull. I also got ACL surgery 4 days ago. Does anyone know how to tie a noose so I can end my misery?

Noose on the elk or on you??

Google and YouTube are your friend

LBM
09-03-2019, 07:10 PM
RackStar
I have never hunted elk but defineatly would like to . I think of elk as majestic animals , monarchs if you will.
, Would love to learn how to call . I have learned to call moose and been successful with that . Would like to learn from someone who is an ethical Hunter not a druggy obviously does not drink alcohol when hunting , but enjoys a beverage around the campfire at night . Maybe there is someone on HBC that is older and seasoned that needs a helping hand
Arctic Lake

Get any of the tube calls such as power bugle they are all pretty simple to use.

Arctic Lake
09-03-2019, 07:47 PM
Get any of the tube calls such as power bugle they are all pretty simple to use.
Thanks for the tip LBM !
Arctic Lake

KBC
09-03-2019, 08:02 PM
I’ve learned to use the mouth reeds and bugle tube mostly from the ElkNut and doing the Elk101 course.

willyqbc
09-03-2019, 08:33 PM
some light reading to get you all pumped up! Please don't respond in the threads in the links....they are old threads That don't need to be bumped up, but good stories i figure some of you folks might enjoy...specially 2010 and 2011! Enjoy!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?25965-ELK-SUCCESS!!!-2-bulls-down!-(pics)&highlight=hunt

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?39721-2-Nice-bull-elk-down!&highlight=hunt

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?55680-2010-Elk-Trip!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?72174-Elk-trip-2011-bulls-bucks-and-bears!!&highlight=hunt

RackStar
09-03-2019, 10:57 PM
Those story’s sure got me stoked. Unreal.

todbartell
09-03-2019, 11:56 PM
must be hunting on a game farm

willyqbc
09-04-2019, 01:45 PM
must be hunting on a game farm

seemed like it at times......ahhh the good old days.....i miss them!

Ourea
09-04-2019, 02:18 PM

first bull I ever took

Last bull I took

A little junk in the trunk with that younger bull !
Love it!

rocksteady
09-04-2019, 02:46 PM
A little junk in the trunk with that younger bull !
Love it!

Hey.. no body shaming.. that is no longer acceptable

Ourea
09-04-2019, 02:58 PM
^^^^^
Touche.....well played

willyqbc
09-04-2019, 08:26 PM
well, re-reading the old stories, and the new threads on elk has lit a fire under my arse. Theres an area close enough to home for a day hunt, I always suspected would hold elk, so I decided to go scout it out. I had used google earth to identify food sources, water sources, possible bedding areas etc and identified a few possible travel routes between food and bed to go check out. as I made my way up the first little trail, there was nothin to see but beef tracks.....then all of a sudden there it was....a beautiful elk track!!!! over the next 100 yds or so looks like a dozen or so elk filtered on to the trail and carried on single file heading in the general direction of the water source.....decided that was info enough for now and backed out. The kid is going to go scout another portion of the area this week-end to gather a bit more info.

Nobodies fault but my own, but i've been sitting on the bench too long....

Sept 10th.......I'M BACK IN THE GAME!!! :grin: