PDA

View Full Version : Does Bear Spray Work? The science is clear, right? Not so fast...

silveragent
08-28-2019, 08:19 AM
https://www.outsideonline.com/2401248/does-bear-spray-work?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=onsiteshare&fbclid=IwAR0lF8pLD8amu7rbbiZ9ti3G3r94kaSEIKBCusB6A eZ-_miL9DDYRY_vL14

Does Bear Spray Work?The science is clear, right? Not so fast, according to, well, science.Fact #1: Bear spray is 98 percent effective. (https://biologicaldiversity.org/w/news/press-releases/wyoming-game-commission-urged-adopt-bear-spray-requirement-2019-07-18/)
Fact #2: Your odds of being injured by a bear while carrying a firearm are the same as if you’re carrying no defense at all. (https://www.outsideonline.com/1899301/shoot-or-spray-best-way-stop-charging-bear)
I’ve always taken the scientific studies that arrived at those two conclusions as gospel. And I’ve written articles repeating their findings (https://www.outsideonline.com/2196612/reminder-humans-have-ability-easily-deal-bears) while arriving at the invariable conclusion that bear spray is better than a firearm when it comes to defending against a bear attack. But you know what? I was wrong.
“There was no thought of comparing the two [studies], though some do that,” says Tom Smith, who authored both reports, titled the “Efficacy of Bear Deterrent Spray in Alaska (https://polarbearsinternational.org/media/2231/bear_spray.pdf)” and “Efficacy of Firearms for Bear Deterrence in Alaska (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/261982557_Efficacy_of_Firearms_for_Bear_Deterrence _in_Alaska).”
Yet many people—including me, obviously—have compared the results of those two studies. And that, according to Smith, was never his intention.
... more in the article

brian
08-28-2019, 08:49 AM
That was an interesting article, thanks for posting it.

Ron.C
08-28-2019, 08:49 AM
Good read. I think the main take away is gun/spray defense statisics can be maniplutated to suit a desired conclusion, and there is no guranteed outcome in a bear attack regardless of what you have to protect yourself . To argue the contrary is moronic.

I'll continue to carry my spray whenever I feel the situation merits it.

Foxton Gundogs
08-28-2019, 09:06 AM
Pepper is for AFTER the bear is dead and on the grill. I'll stick to my 540 gr bear spray. After years of bear hunting and some bear guiding I have learned my comfort zone is 25 yards not 10 ft so I'll take a projectile that doesn't dissipate in the wind or over 15', my "Holy Crap Cannon can do a lot of damage in those extra 60 ft.

Carrollizer
08-28-2019, 09:37 AM
They should just get some Pedophiles rounded up, arm them with bear spray, and put them in a pen with a grizzly. Thats the only way they could 100% confirm if it works or not. And if it doesn't the bear will eventually be fine

moosinaround
08-28-2019, 09:48 AM
12ga, or 444 marlin, is 100% effective if target is hit appropriately, I have hard data on that! Moosin

Laurp99
08-28-2019, 10:16 AM
Bear spray can be effective but that all depends on the situation!
The spray sure didn't stop this attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iTYDdmp_i4

huntingfamily
08-28-2019, 10:38 AM
The wind is not always favourable to use bear spray.

HighCountryBC
08-28-2019, 10:42 AM
Asolutely bear spray works. It’s not the answer for every situation but it certainly has its place. Most guys will sh*t their pants when faced with a charge and would be lucky to get more than a single shot off with a rifle.

DeepJeep
08-28-2019, 10:59 AM
For hunters we have an option to carry a firearm but for hikers, bear spray is the only option other than taking precautionary measures

wideopenthrottle
08-28-2019, 11:06 AM
Asolutely bear spray works. It’s not the answer for every situation but it certainly has its place. Most guys will sh*t their pants when faced with a charge and would be lucky to get more than a single shot off with a rifle.
why wouldn't they s**t their pants trying to fire off a spray can( I know you are not saying this so sorry if I seem like I am)....I know which would make my butt leak more. ive never understood how anyone could argue pissing off a bear is safer than killing it...I am torn between pointing this out which might reduce someone's comfort level in the bush (creating fear) and letting someone carry on with a false sense of security...

TARCHER
08-28-2019, 11:22 AM
For hunters we have an option to carry a firearm but for hikers, bear spray is the only option other than taking precautionary measures

You can also carry a road flare. I have a buddy in Prince Rupert who walked many north coast streams for many years for fed fish. Anytime he had to deal with a stubborn bear he would strike a flare. He says either grizzly od black they would mostly drop there head and turn away and leave.

moosinaround
08-28-2019, 12:27 PM
If a hiker has a PAL, they can carry a gun? A dominion arms 12ga, with practice, can be a very effective bear deterrent, and the shortys are very compact? Moosin

caddisguy
08-28-2019, 12:41 PM
If a hiker has a PAL, they can carry a gun? A dominion arms 12ga, with practice, can be a very effective bear deterrent, and the shortys are very compact? Moosin

Dominion Grizzly Compact is awesome. I take it sometimes on summer trailcam hikes

Only other thing I have to say is "oh crap not another bear spray vs gun thread" :)

If I could sum it up, I'd say it's good to have an extra tool in the tool box. Hard to aim a rifle when you're on the ground getting mauled. And I'd rather have my hunting partner try spraying a bear that was mauling me first rather than trying to shoot it off me. Spray has the potential to be more useful in a close surprise situation where maybe you are already knocked down. I'll take the rifle for a predatory bear following me around 1000% of the time.

But you can't some up these threads... they go on for 20 pages LOL

Livewire322
08-28-2019, 01:54 PM

What makes you say that?
Theres nothing stopping a hiker from packing heat if they are licensed to do so.

I used to carry my Dominion Arms Grizzly 12ga while hiking.

DeepJeep
08-28-2019, 02:06 PM
I meant if they were unlicensed.

Rye
08-28-2019, 02:21 PM
I believe most of our parks don’t allow folks to carry firearms regardless of licensing, which makes bear spray the only option for hikers. Outside of parks but on established hiking trails (as opposed to wilderness hiking), you might find yourself unwelcome if you chose the 12 gauge as your preferred option.

Mark-R
08-28-2019, 03:51 PM
Some questions regarding Todd Orr who survived that double mauling. Full story: https://youtu.be/SOQAhKrOOww?t=111
He clearly states that he sets off that morning with his pistol for hunting elk and his bear spray.
What if the culture around bear spray vs firearm against a bear attack were different?
What if the common knowledge instead was that a firearm is more effective against a bear attack than bear spray?
Would Todd have taken out his bear spray first before his pistol as he did?
And today, if Todd had to relive exactly that encounter, would he still use his bear spray first over his pistol?

Well, I went and asked Todd Orr himself and here's what he said:

"To be honest, I would pull both if possible.I actually practiced with bear spray in the left hand and pistol in the
other.
Bracing my wrists against each other for support.

I don’t want to shoot too early and an investigation resulting in a “not
self defense” verdict.

And I still feel bear spray will work in most situations.

Tough call for sure but I will be ready and trained with both."

Muledeercrazy2
08-28-2019, 04:01 PM
I've used it on bears in my driveway several times. It works fine to chase a garbage bear away, but not spectacular. I would prefer to use a 12guage, but its more work and might upset my neighbours a bit, as well as the local rcmp. My neighbor actually had a beer tear a hole through his garage door to get his garbage. We see lots.

One tip, if you use it and it does work.... Don't chase the bear with it, or at least check for a crosswind first.

HighCountryBC
08-28-2019, 07:14 PM
why wouldn't they s**t their pants trying to fire off a spray can( I know you are not saying this so sorry if I seem like I am)....I know which would make my butt leak more. ive never understood how anyone could argue pissing off a bear is safer than killing it...I am torn between pointing this out which might reduce someone's comfort level in the bush (creating fear) and letting someone carry on with a false sense of security...

My point is that the vast majority of people will panic, especially at close range, and will be lucky if they even get a shot off, let alone hit their target.

Hunter gatherer
08-28-2019, 07:31 PM
If you want to carry spray go ahead but I will always pick a firearm.

TARCHER
08-28-2019, 07:40 PM
If you want to carry spray go ahead but I will always pick a firearm.

Me too, but not on the Bowron lakes chain, not in Jasper or mt robson, all places i frequent.

Redthies
08-28-2019, 07:51 PM
My neighbor actually had a beer tear a hole through his garage door to get his garbage.

Budweiser or Molson? Must have been an ANGRY beer!

Muledeercrazy2
08-28-2019, 08:04 PM
Lol...
Homebrew

As much as city people like to blame homeowners for causing problems with bears, sometimes they are just aggresive and hungry. We had never seen this one around, about 3 year old boar.

Big Lew
08-28-2019, 08:38 PM
As has been said, there have been many threads about this subject.
I said earlier in another thread that I've tested the large cans that shoot out a stream rather
than a mist. It reaches much further. I've also practiced grabbing my can, removing the safety
clip, and then trying to aim at a fast approaching target...it isn't easy. Neither is unshouldering
and aiming a firearm. Other than predatory bears, if a person has enough warning of a bear's
approach or intention I believe either defense will work, but having said that, like Foxton Gundogs,
I would rather rely on real hitting firepower. There have been many incidents where a person, even
someone very familiar with the outdoors, has been mauled and/or killed while carrying a gun or spray.
They simply didn't get the chance to use them. There's also been documented incidents where an
approaching predatory bear attacked despite getting soaked in pepper spray. A decent gun in those
incidents would very likely stop the bear...permanently.

Gateholio
08-28-2019, 09:00 PM
I've had spray both work and fail miserably. Some bears are assholes and they don't give a shit about a face full of spray. I won't rely on it.

it's unfortunate they won't let us carry handguns in the bush. I can draw and put 4 or 5 shots into a bears face in less time than it takes to get spray into action.

MOOSE MILK
08-28-2019, 09:08 PM
it's unfortunate they won't let us carry handguns in the bush. I can draw and put 4 or 5 shots into a bears face in less time than it takes to get spray into action.

X2 THIS

Redthies
08-28-2019, 09:14 PM
Lol...
Homebrew

As much as city people like to blame homeowners for causing problems with bears, sometimes they are just aggresive and hungry. We had never seen this one around, about 3 year old boar.

I lived in the woods for 30 years. Had black bears walk in the patio doors in summertime, and rip the siding offa neighbors shed when his idiot renters left garbage in. The biggest black bear I’ve ever seen (and I saw a LOT of bears) fell asleep groaning under a tree 20’ from my back door after eating another neighbors 5 gallon bucket of cat food. Some people just don’t get it...

For the record, it’s 405 grain .45-70 rounds for me. I own bear spray, but it’s for two legged wildlife.

Camp Cook
08-29-2019, 05:07 PM
I disagree DeepJeep I am never without a firearm when I am out in the bush might only be a 14" barreled single shot T/C Contender carbine in a thumper round like 338JDJ#2 or 375JDJ.

I did this a few years ago = my opinion of the use of pepper spray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-AVr7gNmrU

mpotzold
08-29-2019, 05:43 PM
I disagree DeepJeep I am never without a firearm when I am out in the bush might only be a 14" barreled single shot T/C Contender carbine in a thumper round like 338JDJ#2 or 375JDJ.

I did this a few years ago = my opinion of the use of pepper spray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-AVr7gNmrU

Wow!
Perfect example of being proficient with a rifle!

You killed the charging grizzly in 2 seconds!:mrgreen:

Preparing myself for a bear charge I used to practice at a gravel pit about a dozen miles east of Canoe Creek with my GG 45/70 shooting as quickly & accurately as possible at paper plates at various distances up to about 40 yards.
Did the same with my mag revolver in the Yukon.
Only got charged once by a huge grizz-didn't have a weapon handy. We worked it out that I had enough time to shoot it at least 2x as it charged. Waving & yelling at the top of our lungs saved us from bear scat!

Harvest the Land
08-29-2019, 08:38 PM
I take bear spray and/or a Chiappa Double Badger during bow season. I like that you can get two shots off with one load (a .410 slug in one barrel and .22 in the other for a bit longer range warning shot). Luckily haven't had to use it yet on a problem bear. That Dominion 12 ga looks pretty sweet

cptnoblivious
08-30-2019, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the link, very interesting read.

Paulyman
08-30-2019, 04:24 PM
I always carry two types of bear spray, one in a can and 1 in a cartridge. 300 WSM to be exact

Wild one
08-30-2019, 05:35 PM
Might want to start practicing on moving target coming towards you bouncing through broken terrain after going for a run to get your heart rate up

Speed shooting a stationary target takes skill and not taking away from that. But it does not mean you are going to drop a charging bear. No doubt in my mind some here could but when shit hits the fan the % would be very low. I have done it and I have also stood there stunned as a bluff charging bear ran past me. Things can happen FAST

Some need to be honest yes a firearm is a reliable way to stop a bear charge but the human that needs to make the firearm work it’s magic is completely un reliable in an adrenaline filled second. You miss the firearm is useless and it takes more skill to hit a charging bear with a firearm than deploying spray

Nothing wrong with carrying a firearm or spray but the true factor on what one is best is the operator. Say it all the time use your brain it’s the best form of bear defence and better than any thing you carry

wideopenthrottle
08-31-2019, 11:15 AM
Not sure why i keep feeling the need to make counterpoints to you but here is something for thought....even if it takes "more skill" to deploy a rifle than a spray, i would argue hunters have practiced that skill (or they should have) and are generally more adept with their firearms than they would be with a spray can..... deploying the spraycan on a regular basis can get pretty expensive if you truly practice the WHOLE deployment process.... to not spray it, is like practicing shouldering your rifle without ever actually taking the safety off re-aiming then firing)

Foxton Gundogs
08-31-2019, 11:55 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Good Post^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wild one
08-31-2019, 12:24 PM
Not sure why i keep feeling the need to make counterpoints to you but here is something for thought....even if it takes "more skill" to deploy a rifle than a spray, i would argue hunters have practiced that skill (or they should have) and are generally more adept with their firearms than they would be with a spray can..... deploying the spraycan on a regular basis can get pretty expensive if you truly practice the WHOLE deployment process.... to not spray it, is like practicing shouldering your rifle without ever actually taking the safety off re-aiming then firing)

I have way less faith in the average hunters abilities than you do. Most are moderately skilled and that is on stationary targets. There is nothing wrong with that for the purpose of hunting. Seen and heard my fair of oops moments from excited hunters over the years forgot the safety(I can admit to this one), ejecting a shell then pulling the trigger, loading a cigarette into the chamber, bolting the cuff of their sleeve, ejecting their clip, tripping in the moment and just plain old buck fever. Humans make mistakes under pressure hunters included.

Not all hunters are equal but all think they are awesome shots under pressure lol

HighCountryBC
08-31-2019, 12:36 PM
I have way less faith in the average hunters abilities than you do. Most are moderately skilled and that is on stationary targets. There is nothing wrong with that for the purpose of hunting. Seen and heard my fair of oops moments from excited hunters over the years forgot the safety(I can admit to this one), ejecting a shell then pulling the trigger, loading a cigarette into the chamber, bolting the cuff of their sleeve, ejecting their clip, tripping in the moment and just plain old buck fever. Humans make mistakes under pressure hunters included.

Not all hunters are equal but all think they are awesome shots under pressure lol

This is a very accurate assessment.

Most hunters completely implode when they are road hunting and see a deer, let alone when a bear is charging them.

RiverOtter
08-31-2019, 01:03 PM
Having been in on a bear charge that resulted in a dead bear, I'll say this...the first shot connecting is your best chance at not only avoiding contact, but also slowing things down for a second shot. Even if the first shot isn't fatal, it is going to slow things down enough to allow for a reload and hopefully a better placed follow up shot.

Our bear went from gallop to staggering walk after taking a bullet in the bottom lip. After that, it was simply aim and fire.

Big Lew
08-31-2019, 01:05 PM
I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of a bear attack at all, but there's a lot of paranoia
out there when in fact the actual potential for an outdoors person, hunter or not, to get mauled
or killed is likely less than the chance of having an unrelated injury or being involved in a serious
vehicle accident. Of course it does happen, but keeping vigilant and using common sense will go
a long way in reducing that remote chance of an attack.

Wild one
08-31-2019, 01:56 PM
I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of a bear attack at all, but there's a lot of paranoia
out there when in fact the actual potential for an outdoors person, hunter or not, to get mauled
or killed is likely less than the chance of having an unrelated injury or being involved in a serious
vehicle accident. Of course it does happen, but keeping vigilant and using common sense will go
a long way in reducing that remote chance of an attack.

Agree 100%

Use your brains be aware and odds are you have nothing to worry about

RiverOtter
08-31-2019, 02:24 PM
Not gonna deny the paranoia by some, but the fact is, there are a lot of negative bear encounters every year that go unreported; I'd say most.

Factor in the populous that never leaves the city or spends any real time in bear country and the odds quickly change from slim to quite possible.

Pioneerman
08-31-2019, 03:05 PM

Why would you say that ? And what makes you think that a person will shit their pants and miss with a firearm capable of stopping and killing a bear, but a aerosol herb spray would make them more in control of their bowel movements and able to defend against an attack? Bullets do not get blown off course in 20 feet in a strong wind. Bullets do not get blown back in your face dropping you to the ground defenseless and blind.

Foxton Gundogs
08-31-2019, 03:35 PM
All I will say is IF a hunter doesn't have the calm to aim and fire coolly at a charging bear at 25 yds, they sure as heck aren't going to have the nerve to effectively(if that is even a thing with pepper spray) discharge pepper spray at a charging bear at 15 ft.

Big Lew
08-31-2019, 06:08 PM
All I will say is IF a hunter doesn't have the calm to aim and fire coolly at a charging bear at 25 yds, they sure as heck aren't going to have the nerve to effectively(if that is even a thing with pepper spray) discharge pepper spray at a charging bear at 15 ft.

Totally agree! Also many don't realize unless they've actually witnessed it, is just how fast
a bear, black or grizzly, can run at full charge. Even if the victim accurately hits a charging
bear full in the face with bear spray beginning at the spray's maximum range, the bear will
be on them well before the spray has any effect, if it has some at all.

Quiet Hunter
09-06-2019, 03:56 PM
Crazy thread. a lot of good stories . I got a 45-70 just for bears but I also got pepper spray (strongest capsicum percentage ) just incase. Grabbed it from Cabelas. 45-70 from Wanstalls

Hopefully if I ever have to use the spray its just for flavoring the meat lol

Ron.C
09-06-2019, 05:47 PM
My spray saved my butt when a mtn lion came at me . No, I wasnt carrying a gun that day, was reteiving tree stands after the hunting season. To be honest I never would of gotten the gun off my shoulder. It all happened that close, that fast and I dischaged my spray from the hip . Luckily you dont have to be pinpoint accurate and a good portion of the spray stream nailed it in the face.
Unfortunately, I also wore some of it because the wind blew some back in my face.

Now replace the cat with a charging bear, would it have worked? In not sure, but at about 10 feet, Im skeptical.

I could care less about stats, or anyond elses opinion, I still carry my spray even when rifle hunting. If I think my life is in danger from an animal and I can shoot, I will. But it doesnt always work that way and its good to have options

adriaticum
09-06-2019, 07:32 PM

Dude, I don't know what kind of circus you hang out around :shock:

wideopenthrottle
09-07-2019, 01:27 PM
Totally agree! Also many don't realize unless they've actually witnessed it, is just how fast
a bear, black or grizzly, can run at full charge. Even if the victim accurately hits a charging
bear full in the face with bear spray beginning at the spray's maximum range, the bear will
be on them well before the spray has any effect, if it has some at all.

i posted my one and only bear that i ever shot in the hundreds i have made contact with over my life...they do speed up alot (and get closer) especially when you raise the rifle and go from seeing them at 1x power to seeing them at 3 or 4x ...heheh

mpotzold
06-24-2021, 12:21 PM
Bear spray recalled by Health Canada.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/bear-spray-recalled-in-canada-might-not-function-when-users-need-them-for-protection-1.5483690

Health Canada issued a product safety warning Wednesday for four different bear deterrent products.
Health Canada-canisters do not function properly and the product will not spray.
https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2021/75891r-eng.php

Harvest the Land
06-24-2021, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the heads up on this Morris. Good to know my can of Frontiersman might be useless

Rob Chipman
06-24-2021, 02:08 PM
I really don't know if I could tag a charging bear with my rifle, or if bear spray would be better.

I do know this: if I'm with a buddy who's getting mauled I will be able to tag the bear with my rifle. Yes, I understand that the round may exit the bear and hit someone else (ie, the buddy getting mauled). Heard that story coming out of the Kootenays a few years ago where the guy survived a mauling that the bear did not, but the guy got the round in the knee or somewhere close.

I also know the Liard Hotsprings story where a gutsy guy died trying to save the woman by deploying a rotten tree trunk. The other guy who ran back to the truck for the rifle got there too late. If you've been there you know how far it is from the hot springs back to the truck.

I've heard a ton of stories from guys who work in the bush to know that these encounters may start fast but sometimes take a lot of time to unfold.

So, I'm sure spray works, and I'm sure the rifle works, but I know for a fact that the rifle will work when I really, really need it to (that is, when it's no longer a charge, but an attack, and the only question is who's going to survive it).

jac
06-24-2021, 04:54 PM
I carry both. It’s been well documented that spray works well.

LBM
06-24-2021, 05:49 PM
Bear spray recalled by Health Canada.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/bear-spray-recalled-in-canada-might-not-function-when-users-need-them-for-protection-1.5483690

Health Canada issued a product safety warning Wednesday for four different bear deterrent products.
Health Canada-canisters do not function properly and the product will not spray.
https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2021/75891r-eng.php

Guns can jam to.

LBM
06-24-2021, 05:54 PM
I really don't know if I could tag a charging bear with my rifle, or if bear spray would be better.

I do know this: if I'm with a buddy who's getting mauled I will be able to tag the bear with my rifle. Yes, I understand that the round may exit the bear and hit someone else (ie, the buddy getting mauled). Heard that story coming out of the Kootenays a few years ago where the guy survived a mauling that the bear did not, but the guy got the round in the knee or somewhere close.

I also know the Liard Hotsprings story where a gutsy guy died trying to save the woman by deploying a rotten tree trunk. The other guy who ran back to the truck for the rifle got there too late. If you've been there you know how far it is from the hot springs back to the truck.

I've heard a ton of stories from guys who work in the bush to know that these encounters may start fast but sometimes take a lot of time to unfold.

So, I'm sure spray works, and I'm sure the rifle works, but I know for a fact that the rifle will work when I really, really need it to (that is, when it's no longer a charge, but an attack, and the only question is who's going to survive it).

I always ask people i hunt with if a bear is on me were are you going to shoot they always say for the front i saw no if broadside best to shoot it first in the hips.
If a bear is mauling some one its head and shoulders etc will usally be on the persons or the persons arms and legs will be flailing around his vitals, thus what happened to
the guy you mentioned. Shoot in hips first when it spins shoot in front with second shot.

Bustercluck
06-24-2021, 05:56 PM
My buddy was watching a video last night of a guy who was mauled by a sow with Cubs. He had spray and a firearm, I think it was a pistol, not sure on what kind. The bear screwed off and tucked the Cubs away somewhere to come back and stock him from behind. He sprayed it once but it attacked three times. He ended up laying face down and playing dead while the thing nipped at his back a bunch of times to make sure he was dead and then it left him alone.

I’ll ask him for a link

fishhunt
06-24-2021, 06:10 PM
My defender can jam, but will work in wind and rain and I can carry as mush ammo as I want. Bear spray can run out quickly, be useless in heavy rain or wind, malfunction, and not deter some bears. I carry a both defender and bear spray, but trust my defender first. The best defense is hunting with a competent partner who also carries a defender. Because even with a defender, a grizzly can come out of nowhere (tall grass) and you may not be able to react quick enough. Having someone else who's capable is great. Unfortunately, I'm usually the only one carrying the defender and spray. So my hunting partners will be protected, while me, less so!

Rob Chipman
06-25-2021, 11:08 AM
I always ask people i hunt with if a bear is on me were are you going to shoot they always say for the front i saw no if broadside best to shoot it first in the hips.
If a bear is mauling some one its head and shoulders etc will usally be on the persons or the persons arms and legs will be flailing around his vitals, thus what happened to
the guy you mentioned. Shoot in hips first when it spins shoot in front with second shot.

That's some solid insight right there. Good practical advice. Good call.

srupp
06-25-2021, 12:25 PM
Hmm famous Alberta sheep guide Leonard Jeck..I won't carry bear spray..no rifle no go
My standard advice..for night time encounter..everyone is offered a white the shirt for sleeping..night flights with bears..tired sleepy not at our best.,good guys are wearing white..camo sucks for this.
Bears investigate and dominate and mastic ate with their mouth.
So buddy is being chewed..move to the side..shoot bear in the rear hips angelLing rearwards...so bullet won't channel up the spine out mouth or face into buddy.
Not everyone mauled but everyone shot usually suffers worse fate.
Once first shot into back hips..femoral artery etc. .KEEP YOUR RIFLE FOCUSED ON SAME SPOT.
BEAR WILL DO 180 where his ass was his head WILL BE..now head shot..buddy will be left behind.
Finish the job..3rd shot if needed down into brain pan.
DEAD BEARS HAVE EYES WIDE OPEN !
NOW USE that emergency first aid you learned..giggle.and help bud..consider # spine stop all bleeding..access emergency comunication devise..get help..bud NEEDS assessment by ER Dr.

Oh ya NEVER SPRAY.
my .02
Srupp
Hmm know first hand of this being used 2x by outfitter.
Had charges over the years.,no contact

Foxton Gundogs
06-25-2021, 12:41 PM
Thanks Steve, After several years as a bear guide and 60 + years as a bear hunter, I have learned one thing. Pepper is for AFTER the bear is on the BBQ. 45-70s and 12 ga Brennekes are for BEFORE the bear is dead.

hunterdon
06-26-2021, 09:33 AM
Not gonna deny the paranoia by some, but the fact is, there are a lot of negative bear encounters every year that go unreported; I'd say most.

Factor in the populous that never leaves the city or spends any real time in bear country and the odds quickly change from slim to quite possible.

Very true! I once spoke with a conservation officer years ago in the Okanagan, who explained to me that there was a black bear attack on a young 10 year old boy, up in the Aberdeen plateau area. The boy survived but was chewed up on the back pretty bad. Nothing was made public as it was known that many of the local businesses do not want to scare the tourists away from the area. So, I do know that some attacks are not made public.

mpotzold
07-09-2022, 10:37 PM
Thanks Steve, After several years as a bear guide and 60 + years as a bear hunter, I have learned one thing. Pepper is for AFTER the bear is on the BBQ. 45-70s and 12 ga Brennekes are for BEFORE the bear is dead.

I'm with you & Steve 100%.:)
I use a GG 45/70 loaded with 540 gr Garrets when fresh grizz signs present & 375 when in open country. The 12 ga Defender is normally at camp loaded with Brennekes within easy reach for all to use.

Reason I would never, never rely on bear spray?

California driver attacks another driver almost emptying a can of bear spray into his face at very close range.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pCQdN2XadM

So much for bear spray stopping a determined predatory bear!:roll: