View Full Version : Anyone hunting any bull (elk) archery season in the WK or EK ?

TCMX
08-22-2019, 09:43 AM
My brother and I are heading the the Koots for archery season, and yes we are aware the numbers are low and pressure is high but im just curious to see if anyone else on here has the same idea ?

We plan to mostly let our eyes do the walking once we get up to some drainages and look for sign in the thicker stuff and maybe do some light calling if we can turn up some fresh stuff.

Never been to the Koots before always up north or south west, we are leaving on the 30th to do a little bit of scouting (all we have time for).

I am more just wanting to hear other bow hunters opinion on tactics early season (1st-10th)

from my understanding spikes and rags come in silent most of the time just to cow calls.

too early for bugling ?

not worried about the size of bull, would we have a better chance targeting spikes and rag horns ? or should we just go nuts with calling and try to get a response from anything that wants to play ?

or just cow calling ?

Liveforthehunt
08-22-2019, 09:56 AM
Yes I will be heading out ... not too early to call no good luck ! There are some elk around just have to find em

J_T
08-22-2019, 10:00 AM
Live in the EK. Hunt elk with a passion. Hunt hard. Tactics? I'm not sure there is enough space on this page or site. I think there are lots of threads on elk hunting tactics on here. Personally, I bugle, I cow call. I'm not concerned about chasing a bull off with calling. If I know he's in the area, he'll change. He'll eventually get pissed at the small punk who's blowing his horn.

I keep a lot of calls at the ready. I don't wear them around my neck, but I have a few in my side pocket. Like fishing lures, if one doesn't work, something else might. Be guarded against driving up a road, finding a view spot and bugling. Elk know, that's what humans do. Find a way to separate your location and your sound from other humans.

The BOS is definitely not too early for bugling. 1 day (August 30th arrival) is not scouting. It's arriving to an area in daylight.

Good luck.

rocksteady
08-22-2019, 10:04 AM
First time ever, I have installed a trail cam and salt for elk.

Its been out since late June. Been hit and miss, at first there was elk every day, then for a week or so there were none, now I am starting to see them on pics again. Couple spikes with all of the cows, which I would be more than willing to arrow, but with a group of ladies traipsing through, I know its only a matter of time before a boyfriend starts following.

Danny_29
08-22-2019, 10:04 AM
Not to early to call at all. I've had the most success early season going wayyy up, think like mountain goat up.

TCMX
08-22-2019, 12:00 PM
Yes, i am well aware that 1 day early is not scouting, we had some other priorities this summer, I should have worded that differently haha and don't worry we won't be driving around hanging out the window bugling, or doing any vocalization anywhere near the truck for that matter :mrgreen:

But Thanks so far to everyone that has dropped any knowledge on this thread ! it all helps.

HighCountryBC
08-22-2019, 12:43 PM
Best time of year to call a big bull in.

It's not as dire in the WK as some guys will try and make you believe. Plenty of drainages that hold elk and don't see a boot track all season.

J_T
08-22-2019, 12:47 PM
First time ever, I have installed a trail cam and salt for elk.

Its been out since late June. Been hit and miss, at first there was elk every day, then for a week or so there were none, now I am starting to see them on pics again. Couple spikes with all of the cows, which I would be more than willing to arrow, but with a group of ladies traipsing through, I know its only a matter of time before a boyfriend starts following. I run a few cams. I'm seeing an increase in moose each year. Elk: Cows and spikes on the cameras through June. The calves start to show up with the cows in early July, bulls are nearby and I see them on the camera occasionally. Seeing good recruitment this year. Although I see a cow moose with two calves up to July 7th and then she returns July 17th with only one calf. I do have blacks, Griz and wolves on the cameras. Bulls will show on the camera until about Aug 10th, then they disappear. They return around Aug 25th, looking to harem up and find some cows.

rocksteady
08-22-2019, 12:49 PM
I have had zero pics of moose, grizz or wolves JT.. hope thats a good sign

KBC
08-22-2019, 02:21 PM
I’m heading out solo to the WK on the 31st for my first archery elk season. Looking forward to it. Gonna go out this weekend to have a look around and check some cameras I put out a few weeks ago.

VirgilOfTheWoods
08-24-2019, 08:44 PM
I was out near Elkford last year's Archery season. Saw a few cows, but no luck in getting near any bulls, except for the dozens lounging on (non-huntable) mining property :). Good luck this year. I think I'll try my hand nearer to Fort Steele - try to put in a few km between me and the nearest roads to reduce some of the pressure.

tko
08-25-2019, 01:03 PM
I put a camera up few weeks ago EK and I got a 6 elk last week, couple cows with 3 babies 2 hours after there’s a grizz on camera then camera is sideways ! Bear is staying close them elk!

RyoTHC
08-25-2019, 01:35 PM
All this talk.. I feel like next years holidays need to be last week of August and first three week s of September for a GOS elk somewhere.

Hmmmmm.

Worst case scenario its a camping trip lol

tko
08-25-2019, 02:01 PM
I was out near Elkford last year's Archery season. Saw a few cows, but no luck in getting near any bulls, except for the dozens lounging on (non-huntable) mining property :). Good luck this year. I think I'll try my hand nearer to Fort Steele - try to put in a few km between me and the nearest roads to reduce some of the pressure.

I know I seen same thing few years ago , u just have to be lucky enough to catch them coming or going from mining property .

jtred
08-25-2019, 05:20 PM
I was out today scouting for mule deer and elk(plus I wanted to get to the top of a mountain I had hiked/hunted many times but had never made the summit) and I am positive I heard a bugle. It was distant and pretty windy but still, it sure sounded like an elk. I've never hunted the west Kootenays but pretty much all of my hunting is in the Kootenays so what is happening here is probably true throughout. I live in the central Kootenays. I am more of a mule deer hunter but I do buy an elk tag every year.

charlie_horse
08-25-2019, 07:52 PM
We got so frustrated last year with our elk hunt because we were calling in bulls every day, dead to rights within 5 to 20 yards but it was so thick we couldn't count 6. So this year we are trying archery season to see if we have the same luck with bulls responding the way they were last year. If not were gonna run the hunt for 10 days of rifle season and hope for a 6 point.

dakoda62
08-27-2019, 01:43 PM
Bow hunters in the West Kootenay's check the online updates, there cancellations to take note of "No" spike bull season closed Anterless closed Sept 10-19th
No"

J_T
08-27-2019, 04:14 PM
Bow hunters in the West Kootenay's check the online updates, there cancellations to take note of "No" spike bull season closed Anterless closed Sept 10-19th
No"
Yup, good reminder. No BOS Sept 1 - 9 antlerless elk in the trench (EK) (below 1100m). And watch the vehicle restrictions around fires. I've asked if they will be posted, but I don't see signs. you can download the PDF though.

rocksteady
08-27-2019, 04:39 PM
I think this was from years past
. Not 2018 to 2020

rocksteady
08-27-2019, 04:40 PM
No"

Old news.. a year or more old

todbartell
08-27-2019, 04:48 PM
Heading to a new area is fun. The first season could be classed as scouting trip. Enjoy yourself and stay positive

Remember what elk need : Food, water and security. Find these things in the smallest area and start looking around

Look on cool north facing slopes for elk bedding area. Trails likely will lead to feeding or water from here. Show some caution with bedding area, make sure the wind is right move slow. If you blow them out of their beds, they might really change their habits

Areas with high human precense (roads, trails) will likely not be where the elk will be spending the bulk of their time. Don't waste too much time looking in easily accessible spots.

tko
08-28-2019, 09:43 AM
Regs changed spike bull elk closed for region 4

tyreguy
09-10-2019, 08:06 AM
The rifle season was closed for spike bulls and referred to maps D4/6/8 with a July 2018 amendment - the archery only season still only specifies "Bull" which i believe still includes a spike bull in the Sept 1-9 archery only season.

Regs changed spike bull elk closed for region 4

allan
09-10-2019, 11:57 AM
My partner and I sealed the deal on a big bodied 5x6 sept 1 morning. More central bc though.
Bull came to our bugle, partner ran forward, I stayed back. Called him into 13 yards for the shooter, shooter rushed the shot, I figured we could have easily got the bull to 5 yards:) for him, but he was happy to shoot at 13....
My previous big game animal ( moose) was only 8-10Ft away. Set up is very important.

Xbow
09-13-2019, 09:07 AM
Is there a picture allan ?