PDA

View Full Version : Glowing Jacket

kazul
09-27-2007, 10:03 AM
I've just got a Rem. camo jacket.
When I put it under a black light it "glows" pink.It's new and unwashed.My cheap,old and washed wal-mart camo doesn't glow.

My understanding(please correct me if I'm wrong) is that deer don't see in color but they do see in the ultra violet spectrum of light.
I read this in a recent BC hunting mag.
If clothing glows under black light than it's in a spectrum of light that deer see in and if you wear that hunting no matter of the camo pattern than you'll glow to the deer also.

Is it possible to dull the "glow" ??? or is my new jacket just good for camp use?? Or should I take it back while I still can??

Any Ideas??

RMG
09-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Wash the jacket in sportwash, or any other non whitening, non brightening odor free soap. It may take a couple of washs to rid the item of its glowing properties.

Fisher-Dude
09-27-2007, 10:16 AM
Wear it to a nightclub - the women will find you more easily when you're glowing under the lights.

Mr. Dean
09-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Like RWG stated.

Least that's what I read somewhere (magazine). I think it was in the same article that explained the glowing hunter syndrome.

Mr. Dean
09-27-2007, 10:26 AM
SWEET avitar FD!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

todbartell
09-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Hunter Specialties makes a non UV brightening wash that also has no scent. Check it out

Mr. Dean
09-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Hunter Specialties makes a non UV brightening wash that also has no scent. Check it out

I will!

Last year I stalked a Deer for DAYS. it didn't seem to matter what I did... He'd bust me EVERY bloody time.

I too was wearing a Remmy coat. :???:

Come to think of it; the day I did connect, I dropped this coat about half way in on the hike, opting for a sweater instead.

Me thinks that I need one of them high-tech lights, also.

Wildman
09-27-2007, 12:42 PM
ive got rem camo....you can buy special uv, sent fee laundry soap to fix that problem from any store that sells hunting gear.

Browningmirage
09-27-2007, 01:02 PM
so which remmy were you using?

Seems that i am having the same problem, bought it from walmart, but it is remington brand name...I havent got a black light, so i dont know if it glows, but if its the same name then i can expect it to. If thats the case ill have to get some UV stuff too

Browningmirage
09-27-2007, 01:12 PM
will just washing it a bunch of times make the UV dimmer?

Bpower
09-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Is it the 6 in 1 jacket fom remmington?

Mr. Dean
09-27-2007, 02:27 PM
so which remmy were you using?

Seems that i am having the same problem, bought it from walmart, but it is remington brand name...I havent got a black light, so i dont know if it glows, but if its the same name then i can expect it to. If thats the case ill have to get some UV stuff too

I dunno???

It did come from Wally-World though. That IS fact.

Mr. Dean
09-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Is it the 6 in 1 jacket fom remmington?

Nope. Mine is kinda just basic; non-reversable, 2 pockets on the outer and 1 (maybe 2...) on the inside. Zipper and button snaps inc. :tongue:

kazul
09-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Me thinks that I need one of them high-tech lights, also.

Just a black light in the bathroom.
It wasn't very high tech,except maybe the technican.:wink:

Wildman
09-27-2007, 04:14 PM

Yup, thats the stuff I have.

Rob
09-27-2007, 04:58 PM
The Walmart coat for $99 is the 6 in 1 I believe

Browningmirage
09-27-2007, 06:52 PM
yeah i bought the same 6 in 1 wal mart coat, and it is a remington

Heres my question though
I was walking the other day, in full view of a doe, (there is a doe season here), i was near the treeline, but if this is actually true, why wouldnt she have spooked...I am wearing the cheap remmy camo, and besides not seeing many animals, i havent had any spook on me

todbartell
09-27-2007, 07:31 PM
if you think you're glowing, get some non UV wash. I wouldnt waste much time overthinking the whole thing.

Mr. Dean
09-27-2007, 08:03 PM
.... Aparently you glow more when it's dusk or dawn (makes sense, I guess).

Daytime not a big issue.

kazul
09-27-2007, 10:20 PM
mine is the remington heavy fleece front zip jacket.
it cost $49 at wal-mart.

I'm not sure about the other stuff glowing.I checked all of my camo and the jacket is the only thing that glows. The cheap no-name cammo doesn't glow one bit.:confused:

pmj
09-27-2007, 10:54 PM
For all my hunting clothes I use unscented detergent with no brighteners. Only available at outdoor stores. Unscented Tide is NOT the right stuff.