PDA

View Full Version : Any updates on Moose up North??

ARC
09-26-2007, 09:21 PM
I plan on heading up to the FSJ area moose hunting next week. I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine who works up there. He works in forestry, so he is in the field nearly everyday. Apparently he usually sees 100-150 moose in a given year, however he told me that this year he has seen only 5 while out working. He has been working in some historically prime areas as well. How have other peoples experiences in the area been this year? We are a ways into the season now, so I figure some guys should have some first hand knowledge.

todbartell
09-26-2007, 09:25 PM
I was up in Chetwynd in early September for two days and saw one cow moose. My partners were there for 6 days and saw, I think, five moose, two were bulls

browningboy
09-26-2007, 09:28 PM
A buddy of mine just got back from the Kechika and they were sucessfull, said there was lots and no sign of winter kill, just have to pound the bush a little harder as water is plentifull.

mark
09-27-2007, 06:34 AM
from what I saw, I wouldnt bother hunting moose up there this year! Twas the worst Ive ever seen it!

Odd-6
09-27-2007, 07:41 AM
My brother-in-law spent 2 weeks in Aug near pink mtn, didn't get anything.

bigwhiteys
09-27-2007, 07:43 AM
Chris, We came through FSJ on my way home from my sheep hunt. Spent the last few days chasing moose and elk. Saw 2 Moose in a patch where it's not uncommon to see 10 or more at one time... (you've been there) The Elk seemed to be doing great and we messed up on a big 6 point but the moose were few and far between. There did seem to be more moose out and about further north. A friend of mine took a nice bull from the liard area.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

lunatic
09-27-2007, 08:26 AM
Well I'll add my two cents. I don't know about those other areas as I only have to go a few minutes from the house to cut my tag. The moose and elk around Tumbler Ridge are FINE. Every trip into the bush I have seen both. In two weeks of hunting I seen approximately 12 bull moose ( 7 which were legal ) about 35 - 40 cows or calves, and lots of elk....mainly bulls. And no, I do not road hunt, but the in-laws seen at least 12 right from their truck and took a big bull right at the side of the road.

willy442
09-27-2007, 08:44 AM
The last time I looked at a map, both Tumbler Ridge and the Kechika were a fair distance from Fort St John.

The area's hit by the deep snow, ticks and Febuary rains last winter are really hurting in numbers but other area's seem to be fine and more moose are being taken from Fort Nelson and North it seems.

elkdom
09-27-2007, 08:58 AM
well hear is two more cents,pretty much the same reports, sightings from my point of veiw as (lunatic TR) moose are not extinct, now moose rut is on they are moving and calling ,elk are just about anywhere you take the time to check it out, turned down three 6x6 bulls, one very large 6x5,severl 5 and four pointbulls came in to calls including one grizzly bear, sunday shot large ,6x6 bull , even some residents that live in region 7 B say moose are scarce,seems to be TWO opinions those that find game , those that dont! now locally it seems the hunters that are not getting a moose also are not finding a 6 point elk, seems to be a pattern there! I hope the seasons are not going to be altered by the veiws of the (shot nots ) , there are many elk and moose , Good Luck,

Schmaus
09-27-2007, 09:31 AM
I hope the seasons are not going to be altered by the veiws of the (shot nots ) , there are many elk and moose ,

My sentiments exactly, people go up to an area for one week a year and then try to guesstimate the whole animal population.

bigwhiteys
09-27-2007, 09:45 AM
My sentiments exactly, people go up to an area for one week a year and then try to guesstimate the whole animal population.

Or they might live and work there year round and actually have somewhat of an idea what is happening. The people who go up for a week and shoot a moose/elk will obviously think they are plentiful and everywhere. Some areas took a heavier winter hit then others. I know in the area I hunt it's quite unusual if you don't see several Moose in a morning/evenings hunt. The three different parties I know of that have gone in for Moose this year have all come out skunked, although they did manage to take two 6 point Elk (The Elk seemed to do well in this area this year). This is on several sections of private land in the FSJ area.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

browningboy
09-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Just curious, if the kill was that bad, are guys finding their bodies all over the place? (skeletal remains etc.)
Heading up shortly, if theres less then theres less, but I'm still just going to enjoy myself!:-P

bigwhiteys
09-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Just curious, if the kill was that bad, are guys finding their bodies all over the place? (skeletal remains etc.) Heading up shortly, if theres less then theres less, but I'm still just going to enjoy myself!

By no means would I let it even remotely discourage you!!! While some have not been successful others have. Right place, Right time = Dead Moose,Elk,Deer, replace with whatever game animal you choose.

Carl

browningboy
09-27-2007, 12:09 PM
By no means would I let it even remotely discourage you!!! While some have not been successful others have. Right place, Right time = Dead Moose,Elk,Deer, replace with whatever game animal you choose.

Carl
Not discouraged at all, I believe that it may be a harder hunt but I firmly believe there still around but like I said before, just want to go and play.;-)

lunatic
09-27-2007, 12:50 PM
The last time I looked at a map, both Tumbler Ridge and the Kechika were a fair distance from Fort St John.

The area's hit by the deep snow, ticks and Febuary rains last winter are really hurting in numbers but other area's seem to be fine and more moose are being taken from Fort Nelson and North it seems.

I understand that T.R. is a little ways from FSJ. My point WAS that if that area is as hard hit as some are saying then perhaps another area REALATIVELY close should perhaps be considered instead. I don't buy the deep snow theory either as I guarantee that T.R. got a heck of alot more snow than FSJ and area did.

lunatic
09-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Just curious, if the kill was that bad, are guys finding their bodies all over the place? (skeletal remains etc.)
Heading up shortly, if theres less then theres less, but I'm still just going to enjoy myself!:-P

I have spent lots of time on the quads this year in different areas around here as well as down the Murray river on the river boat. I have seen one carcass this year which is alot less than most other years.

willy442
09-27-2007, 01:21 PM
well hear is two more cents,pretty much the same reports, sightings from my point of veiw as (lunatic TR) moose are not extinct, now moose rut is on they are moving and calling ,elk are just about anywhere you take the time to check it out, turned down three 6x6 bulls, one very large 6x5,severl 5 and four pointbulls came in to calls including one grizzly bear, sunday shot large ,6x6 bull , even some residents that live in region 7 B say moose are scarce,seems to be TWO opinions those that find game , those that dont! now locally it seems the hunters that are not getting a moose also are not finding a 6 point elk, seems to be a pattern there! I hope the seasons are not going to be altered by the veiws of the (shot nots ) , there are many elk and moose , Good Luck,

I'm really happy for you and lunatic for getting your animals. I have also turned down many Elk and am presently on the trail of a very large 7x6. However I think you are missing the point here and that is both Moose and Mule Deer numbers are down drastically from prior years.

Yes while traveling and scouting new pipeline right of ways and access this spring we did see more dead animals than usual. Some of the moose carcasses had no hair on or around them, due to the ticks this spring also taking a toll. I have yet to see where anyone has claimed these animals to be extinct and I'm sure if you want to hunt a little deeper in the woods than most you can be successful.

I find it very funny that many hunters, hunting the same places they have for years can all agree to a decline in numbers and two probably LUCKY hunters can disagree.

ARC
09-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I am hoping that as we start to hit the middle of the rut that a few more bulls make themselves seen. I will probably hit my regular moose spots the first few days and then perhaps switch over to elk hunting if I'm not seeing much.

lunatic
09-27-2007, 01:27 PM
Well I personally AM NOT trying to argue that there has been no reduction in numbers in some areas. The point that you seem to be missing is that if some areas are NOT lacking game then perhaps those are the areas to be spending time looking for game rather than wasting precious time off in areas where game is not plentiful.

tooty
09-27-2007, 01:52 PM
We also have noticed a decline in moose pop.around PR.Gregg creek area is where we go and there is a problem for sure.Lots of wolves and a major loss of habitate do to pine beetle kill.Calve numbers are down from years before.

willy442
09-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Well I personally AM NOT trying to argue that there has been no reduction in numbers in some areas. The point that you seem to be missing is that if some areas are NOT lacking game then perhaps those are the areas to be spending time looking for game rather than wasting precious time off in areas where game is not plentiful.

Good idea, lets invite the annual migration of meat hunters into your back yard and do another assessment next year.:shock:

Jetboat
09-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Some areas did get a shit kickin' from the winter & ticks, but others didn't. Be flexible. Too many guys travel to only one area and set up camp. They hunt hard but don't see much. But they stick it out and end up getting skunked. These guys return home and whine about no game. Why did they stay where they weren't see anything? If you aren't seeing game, move elsewhere. It's really that simple.

Byson
09-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Just Got back from Mcbride seen 3 big bulls, but i didn't have a draw just looking for the lotto 6/49 bulls, also seen a 5 point elk i was ready to put the hammer down but it was missing a point i have a Grizz draw seen some sign but no grizz. seen 2 point and a ugly little spkie that had a antler like the cartoon openseason heading back up on the longweek end i did shoot a buffalo on a farmers field for $500 i know its not hunting but i got a good deal

lunatic
09-27-2007, 05:13 PM
Good idea, lets invite the annual migration of meat hunters into your back yard and do another assessment next year.:shock:

Uh.....that has been happening every since the immature / tri-palm rule came into affect so the difference would be? The Stewart Lake area has been like a zoo for years since the reg's changed and is still a good spot for moose.

elkdom
09-27-2007, 07:12 PM
I find it very funny that many hunters, hunting the same places they have for years can all agree to a decline in numbers and two probably LUCKY hunters can disagree.

Well thank you for accepting the fact there are lucky hunters , you may be right in your opinion and you are probably correct in thinking there are only 2 lucky hunters in BC, I am certain your estimate in numbers of lucky hunters and your estimate of big game numbers comes from the same reliable source!
I do consider my self very lucky every year, year after year,SH#T I even got LEH grizz draw three years in a ROW! But I work at it heart and soul,I scout game almost every day of the year in a region that is crawling with wildlife , so this is my opinion on hunters that judge game numbers after visiting an area far from home on a short hunting trip! There are three kinds of hunters!Some make things happen!! Some want things to happen!! Some wonder what didnt happen!!!! And I believe ONE makes his own LUCK!

eric
09-27-2007, 07:54 PM
GUYS, lets not turn this into a pissing match. YES the moose numbers are down in CERTAIN areas. I have worked in the del rio area for the last 5 years, I fly over the pine river into the stewart lake area twice a month and I talk to alot of the hunters that come up here year after year and this is not the place you want to come for a moose, in this area the #s are way down, head north of FSJ or go up the highway, pink mtn, bucking horse, ft nelson take your pick. Like Lunatic say's why go to an area that you know has no moose, do some research and find a new spot, because it's going to take a few years before we start seeing moose around here.
Just my .02 worth
Eric

moosinaround
09-27-2007, 08:42 PM
When I was up in the del rio this early sept. I was a little disapointed in the number of moose I seen, given the prime habitat that I was in was very moosie. I am not sure about this due to the fact that it was my first time in the rio, but I do know that the Gregg creek around prince george, is doing alright with moose. They are just going into habitat that they previously didn't use. The reserve strips and traditional game trails have been disturbed from the beetle harvesting, and I know my strategies for hunting this area have changed. Moosin

browningboy
09-27-2007, 08:44 PM
All the moose are in Cashe Creek, they got tired of the snow!

Thunderstix
09-28-2007, 05:35 AM
Only been scarce the last few weeks I guess in prep for some sexual activity. I work for Canfor and my co-worke does block fly overs sees a ton, but said they just disappeared 2.5 weeks ago...they'll be back!

willy442
09-28-2007, 06:21 AM
But I work at it heart and soul,I scout game almost every day of the year in a region that is crawling with wildlife.

Seems like alot of effort for an area so rich in wildlife and yes I agree you make your own luck when hunting. The point is that people coming to the area on a short hunt cannot devote the time you have. In order to have any degree of success, they need to hunt areas with better numbers of Moose and Mule Deer than we have in the Fort St John area this fall and most likely this will carry over for a couple more years, or until numbers increase.

MB_Boy
09-28-2007, 08:05 AM
With temps dropping the rut is going to be in full swing as this is the 'prime time' for the moose rut. My Dad has studied this right across western Canada and the dates range by a few days (given 'normal' weather) but Sept. 28th is generally a safe bet as the peak of the 'first rut'. A late rut can and will happen, but this is prime time and looking at the news this morning seeing nice cooler temps it has to only help making them vocal and getting the boys all riled up.

horshur
09-28-2007, 08:16 AM
With temps dropping the rut is going to be in full swing as this is the 'prime time' for the moose rut. My Dad has studied this right across western Canada and the dates range by a few days (given 'normal' weather) but Sept. 28th is generally a safe bet as the peak of the 'first rut'. A late rut can and will happen, but this is prime time and looking at the news this morning seeing nice cooler temps it has to only help making them vocal and getting the boys all riled up.

X2--moose are getting busy and they don't dink around in the bedroom. I seen bios stats that have most cows bred in ten days--get hunting gentlemen the time is at hand!

Jetboat
09-28-2007, 08:34 AM
The boys here at work are starting to see moose moving and you can hear them calling at night :smile: There was hard frost this morning and temps are predicted to get to -6C tonight :D The eve of the rut is apon us and I've got next week off. Any bets as to what I'll be up to ? :wink:

elkdom
09-28-2007, 08:59 AM
Seems that the moose are lookin for love! more and more showing themselves the last few days, seeing most in clear cuts,meadows,they are talking a lot, not only eavinings and mornings but quite a bit of midday nooner stuff going on , good luck !

willy442
09-28-2007, 09:01 AM

I would rather take my moose while the meat is best prior to the rut before they start pissing all over themselves and fighting. Guess if you can find a 2 point it will still be pretty good though.

MB_Boy
09-28-2007, 10:14 AM
I would rather take my moose while the meat is best prior to the rut before they start pissing all over themselves and fighting. Guess if you can find a 2 point it will still be pretty good though.

Willy....you do what you have to do. You must also be in the mindset that a rutted up buck just doesn't taste as good as one shot a month prior to the rut?? You are always going to have good and bad....I have shot deer in the thick of the rut....and have shot them a month before, and side by side you would NEVER be able to tell the difference.

It doesn't matter when you shoot an animal....you are going to have good and bad cases all the time no matter what, but caring for your meat has a HUGE impact on the table fare. Do you find your moose in August (when they taste better :razz:) have a flavour of swamps...sedentary skanky water that is the lovely "garden" for all sorts of aquatic vegetation which they have been feeding on for the 3 months prior? Does the stress that bugs put on the animals (which is considerable) affect the flavour of the meat? Sorry man, but I hunt moose during the rut and have had some of the best tablefare imaginable.

If you think moose pissing and rolling in it (wallowing) affects the taste of the meat.....I think you need to take a bit closer of a look or make yourself order #1 for Ali's HuntingBC Cookbook. I hope you shoot your elk in early August, Moose in late August and your deer before October 30th......for the sake of the table.

I had salmon for dinner last night....it spends the bulk of it's life in saltwater....still just tasted like lemon and herbs to me. :razz:

Jetboat
09-28-2007, 10:33 AM
I usually take a bull in August. Best time for meat, but this year I'm willing to use the canner and grinder as I'm in the mood to go big or go home :lol: Besides, we still have a freezer half full of prime beef from one of our neighbour's steers :wink: No siree, this year I is huntin' fer horns and the rut is prime time for calling in candidates for the wall :biggrin:

MB_Boy
09-28-2007, 11:04 AM
No siree, this year I is huntin' fer horns and the rut is prime time for calling in candidates for the wall :biggrin:

Jetty.....me granny passed down an old family recipeeee for them horns and it will be in the Huntin' In BeeCee cookbook. She preferred the "softer" and more "tender" horns from the month of Jooleye with the velveeeet. She didn't have much in the way of teeth so's we hads to provide the softer ones for her. :lol:

Me.....I love the shined up big boys....stinky and all.

Jetboat
09-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Jetty.....me granny passed down an old family recipeeee for them horns and it will be in the Huntin' In BeeCee cookbook. She preferred the "softer" and more "tender" horns from the month of Jooleye with the velveeeet. She didn't have much in the way of teeth so's we hads to provide the softer ones for her. :lol:

:lol: LMAO...yep...them thar Grannies shore do knows how to fix a powerful appetite :biggrin: Mmmm...velvet 'n bear cracklins ;)

willy442
09-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Willy....you do what you have to do. You must also be in the mindset that a rutted up buck just doesn't taste as good as one shot a month prior to the rut?? You are always going to have good and bad....I have shot deer in the thick of the rut....and have shot them a month before, and side by side you would NEVER be able to tell the difference.

It doesn't matter when you shoot an animal....you are going to have good and bad cases all the time no matter what, but caring for your meat has a HUGE impact on the table fare. Do you find your moose in August (when they taste better :razz:) have a flavour of swamps...sedentary skanky water that is the lovely "garden" for all sorts of aquatic vegetation which they have been feeding on for the 3 months prior? Does the stress that bugs put on the animals (which is considerable) affect the flavour of the meat? Sorry man, but I hunt moose during the rut and have had some of the best tablefare imaginable.

If you think moose pissing and rolling in it (wallowing) affects the taste of the meat.....I think you need to take a bit closer of a look or make yourself order #1 for Ali's HuntingBC Cookbook. I hope you shoot your elk in early August, Moose in late August and your deer before October 30th......for the sake of the table.

I had salmon for dinner last night....it spends the bulk of it's life in saltwater....still just tasted like lemon and herbs to me. :razz:

MB Boy: Sorry but for me, I prefer Moose, Elk and Deer taken off of the farmland in the early seasons not swamps. I for one live here in the North and do not have to hunt during the rut for these animals like yourself to be successful. Your dad spent many years studing the rut to figure out it is in full swing by Sept 28th every year, I suggest maybe he helps you out and puts forth the same effort into the quality of game meat. Granted there are some way's to take care of rutting game that can improve it during these times, but don't be foolish and try telling anyone it is just as good as non rutting game. Some of the local butcher shops will not even hang it with other game if harvested during the peak of the rut.

browningboy
09-28-2007, 12:39 PM
Hey MB, can we borry your dad for our upcoming hunt??:roll: That guy sure has done some amazing things with them moose anyhow we heading up on the 12th for quite a while, so time to hunt them hard and hopefully be successfull. If not theres always the stories that will be made!:smile:

Gateholio
09-28-2007, 12:43 PM
. Your dad spent many years studing the rut to figure out it is in full swing by Sept 28th every year, I suggest maybe he helps you out and puts forth the same effort into the quality of game meat.

MB Boys father is a well known authority on moose IIRC.

MB_Boy
09-28-2007, 12:51 PM
MB Boy: Sorry but for me, I prefer Moose, Elk and Deer taken off of the farmland in the early seasons not swamps. I for one live here in the North and do not have to hunt during the rut for these animals like yourself to be successful. Your dad spent many years studing the rut to figure out it is in full swing by Sept 28th every year, I suggest maybe he helps you out and puts forth the same effort into the quality of game meat. Granted there are some way's to take care of rutting game that can improve it during these times, but don't be foolish and try telling anyone it is just as good as non rutting game. Some of the local butcher shops will not even hang it with other game if harvested during the peak of the rut.
Willy....I had replied, but deleted it as you are just not worth getting into it with. You hunt the farmland in your daily routine and whack your animals early all you want. God knows if they are no on open farmland it would be tough for you to find them.

Thanks Gate.....yes he is.

Hey MB, can we borry your dad for our upcoming hunt??:roll: That guy sure has done some amazing things with them moose anyhow we heading up on the 12th for quite a while, so time to hunt them hard and hopefully be successfull. If not theres always the stories that will be made!:smile:

Browning....not sure about the rolling eyes, but I am just stating what I have learned from probably the most renowned "moose dork" in the world. He hunts them, has studied them for 40+ years, filmed, photographed, authored books about, started the North American Moose Foundation, and just received an award for ~30 years of concurrent attendance at the North American Moose Conference that was in PG in early June.

Let's just say we like to hunt the rut as it is more exciting....NO road hunting as we fly in when we hunt. Meat is secondary to the time out there and 10 days of ruttin' activity is fun. I like calling them....not chasing them around fields.....but that's JUST me. :wink:

Stone Sheep Steve
09-28-2007, 12:53 PM

Just remember.............. if it's not Willy's opinion, it's "BS".:neutral:

SSS

MB_Boy
09-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Just remember.............. if it's not Willy's opinion, it's "BS".

:mrgreen::biggrin:

Back to ARC's first question.

ARC....good luck on your hunt. From what I have read.....some died in the winter from wolves/ticks etc, some have been shot in the early season while eating grains, they should be rutting now and sound as though they are starting to really move around now, but DON'T shoot one now if you plan on eating it. :wink:

browningboy
09-28-2007, 01:26 PM
MB, the rolling eyes thing was meant to be wishfull thinking:biggrin:, I've seen his videos and basically saying he knows his stuff.

MB_Boy
09-28-2007, 01:34 PM
MB, the rolling eyes thing was meant to be wishfull thinking:biggrin:, I've seen his videos and basically saying he knows his stuff.

Cheers!! Kinda what I had figured.

ARC.....if you hit the 'farmland' and there is a calf season keep an eye out for these guys.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/scrichton/Triplets.jpg

Cedarstrip
09-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Not the exact neighbourhood, but we just got back from a week in 6-08 near Telkwa and didn't see a single animal. Very little sign as well.

willy442
09-28-2007, 04:09 PM

GateHouse: I really don't care what his or anyone else's father has done. This discussion in case you missed it is about the quality of meat before and during the rut. First he stated that there was no difference and now he don't care about the meat it's more for calling moose and having fun.
This makes it fairly clear that he has not learned a whole bunch from his dad.

It's also amazing how fast people like yourself and SSS like to jump in and defend some of these so called experts that you both seem to keep on a pedestal.

Intelligent people take many of these reports and studies at face value and although they may be accurate to some degree, they are not alway's
the most reliable nor set in stone. The best information is what you see with your own eye's, not what some one else tells you. I guess when you haven't had the time to live for extended periods of time in the wild, it leaves you no other option though!

Stone Sheep Steve
09-28-2007, 04:12 PM
As always, Willy, you're right and everyone else is wrong. We're all sorry...:-(................................................. :roll:

Most of us are very familiar with MB_Boy's Dad's work.

SSS

Gateholio
09-28-2007, 04:24 PM
[QUOTE]GateHouse: I really don't care what his or anyone else's father has done. This discussion in case you missed it is about the quality of meat before and during the rut.

Willy, it certainly appeared as if your discussion wasn't just about meat quality, it appears as if you were making a comment regarding MB Boys fathers credentials when you said this:

Your dad spent many years studing the rut to figure out it is in full swing by Sept 28th every year

Maybe itr was just about meat quality, though...:p

It's also amazing how fast people like yourself and SSS like to jump in and defend some of these so called experts that you both seem to keep on a pedestal.

Actually, I was simply attempting to shine some light on what the background was, rather than "defend" an expert who really needs no defense whatsoever, as his long list of credentials really speak for themselves.

Intelligent people take many of these reports and studies at face value and although they may be accurate to some degree, they are not alway's
the most reliable nor set in stone. The best information is what you see with your own eye's, not what some one else tells you. I guess when you haven't had the time to live for extended periods of time in the wild, it leaves you no other option though

Yeah, we shouldn't put much stock in the opinions of a biologist who has spent decades studying moose in the wild, in many different regions of north america, with a list of accomplishments a mile long...Best to just listen to a former hunting guide that hunts moose in a farm field.;-)

mgnm300
09-28-2007, 05:49 PM
guess i'll put in my 2 cent's,,i went to the fsj area in aug and was north about 150 kms,,,we were out there for a week,,first area we saw a bit of sign and saw no moose but we moved camp and ended up missing a huge bull the first morning and the second morning i shot a nice 3 point,,the next morning after that my dad ended up missing a nice bull on account of his scpoe being buggered up ,which we discovered afterwards. the point i'm trying to make is ya we hunted hard but were not afraid to move either, actually ended up where we were never in the area before,,,it's great to explore our great province and sometimes it pays off
by the way all the moose we saw were on cutlines,,,nowhere near any rds

Jetboat
09-28-2007, 06:03 PM
we moved camp and ended up missing a huge bull the first morning and the second morning i shot a nice 3 point,,the next morning after that my dad ended up missing a nice bull on account of his scpoe being buggered up ,which we discovered afterwards. the point i'm trying to make is ya we hunted hard but were not afraid to move either, actually ended up where we were never in the area before,,,it's great to explore our great province and sometimes it pays off

My point exactly. Don't hunt where the game ain't (that make sense?) Congrats by the way. Got some pic's to share?

lunatic
09-29-2007, 12:08 AM
[quote=mgnm300;189492]guess i'll put in my 2 cent's,,i went to the fsj area in aug and was north about 150 kms,,,we were out there for a week,,first area we saw a bit of sign and saw no moose but we moved camp and ended up missing a huge bull the first morning and the second morning i shot a nice 3 point,,

This was exactly my point as well.....If the reports are that there is limited game in the area you plan on hunting then alter your plans ! Careful though......if you suggest anywhere to perhaps go then ALL the meat hunters will invade your area for years to come and will shoot ALL the game.

mapguy
09-29-2007, 07:18 AM
well iv'e eaten fish from a muddy lake and it does effect the taste . i've eaten grain fed beef and grass fed ones and yes there is a difference . what they eat affects the taste of the fat .I've noticed that animals up in the alpine taste better than ones from lower elevations . Deer from a grainfield make fine eating . Ive also taken animals prior to and during the rut and have had no problems with the taste . However i use extreme care
when removing the hide and glands .

mgnm300
09-29-2007, 08:27 AM
ya i have pics but don't have the first clue how to post
but guess i'll try

BCLongshot
09-29-2007, 08:36 AM
I can't even get into a pissing match anymore, I piss fine but losing pressure.....

Gravity is my friend.

:cry::cry::confused::tongue:

Jetboat
09-29-2007, 09:22 AM
As for updates...it froze nicely last night and snowed a bit in some areas. I'm at work an hour north of FSJ and it's lightly snowing as we speak. Some of our contractors with the weekend off are out chasing bullwinkles and I'll let ya know how they make out...

mgnm300
09-29-2007, 09:26 AM
i think i got it,,,,fsj moose this year

willy442
09-29-2007, 10:16 AM
[quote=willy442;189459]

Willy, it certainly appeared as if your discussion wasn't just about meat quality, it appears as if you were making a comment regarding MB Boys fathers credentials when you said this:

Maybe itr was just about meat quality, though...:p

Actually, I was simply attempting to shine some light on what the background was, rather than "defend" an expert who really needs no defense whatsoever, as his long list of credentials really speak for themselves.

Yeah, we shouldn't put much stock in the opinions of a biologist who has spent decades studying moose in the wild, in many different regions of north america, with a list of accomplishments a mile long...Best to just listen to a former hunting guide that hunts moose in a farm field.;-)

Gatehouse; I'm well aware who MB's father is and of the work he has put into studying Moose. How ever his work is not totally in agreement with others who have also studied Moose in Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Alaska and Canada. My point being he is one of many and although some of his work has some merrit he is not the world renouned expert you think.

It is really amazing how some on this site can be so out of touch with reality and still stand behind thier opinions. The belief of which I'm sure you are a part of that rutting meat is as good as non rutting speaks for its self, I rest my case. Also if you are going to quote my statements, please quote the entire statement rather than play the same old game you and a few others are so prone to of picking what suits you.

PS You at one time could have recieved the same info as BC Filmer. (NOT ANYMORE):biggrin:

MB_Boy
09-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Gatehouse; I'm well aware who MB's father is and of the work he has put into studying Moose. How ever his work is not totally in agreement with others who have also studied Moose in Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Alaska and Canada. My point being he is one of many and although some of his work has some merrit he is not the world renouned expert you think.
):biggrin:

Okay Einstien.....do me a favor and please share with me what of his work is not totally in agreement with "others". Please, please share where you get this from? Explain why my father was asked to present papers and speak at conferences in Europe and Russia?? Why would 'experts' over there be in so much contradicition and still ask him to speak? What in his "work" is not in agreement? This is Moose Science.....not Rocket Science?

Are you well versed in management techniques utilized in oh.....let's say Sweden? Do you know about the issues with ridiculously high moose populations in Sweden?

Willy....keep living and skipping through your moose hunting fields and if you are going to come on an open forum and make unqualified comments about my father you had best be prepared to back them up. Please share with me the circles in which you run where you have heard so much about the opposition to my Dad?

This is gonna be a great repsone I am sure from an unqualified opinionated ex-guide that hunts moose and studies them so throughly in their "natural" settings of rolling farmland.

I really have nothing to prove to you Willy, but I loves myself a good debate and your last statement is something I certainly hope you can back up.

MB_Boy
09-29-2007, 11:26 AM
GateHouse: I really don't care what his or anyone else's father has done. This discussion in case you missed it is about the quality of meat before and during the rut. First he stated that there was no difference and now he don't care about the meat it's more for calling moose and having fun.

the most reliable nor set in stone. The best information is what you see with your own eye's, not what some one else tells you. I guess when you haven't had the time to live for extended periods of time in the wild, it leaves you no other option though!

Ah Willy....you got me.....I gotta reply to this one too..........but do me a favor....learn to follow a conversation. YES...we were discussing the finer points of pre rut and rut game. How you care for the meat and what is in the animals diet DOES have an impact. Moose aren't "Traditionally" found in "rolling farmland". If you have a grain fed moose that you whack on your way to work....hell Willy that is going to taste good at any time. I am sure it is better if it has spent it's life feeding on grain.....but I would tend to bet that if it is shot in the last week of August vs. the last week of Sept you ain't gonna see a whole lot of difference. OR for that matter as you state above "the best information is what you see with your own eye's".....how about what I have tasted with my mouth. I HAVE NEVER NOTICED A DIFFERENCE....that's right from my own taste buds. :-P

Now.....just because for me I like to hunt the rut as opposed to sittin' on a fence post on the back 40......that does NOT mean that meat is not important. As a hunter if I am going to harvest an animal I owe to that animal to do all I can to ensure that meat is cared for properly. I am not a trophy hunter, but I won't whack the first moose I see on a 10 day hunt. So I am a bit lost as to your comment and lack of comprehension of hunting the rut....for the excitement of the rut.....with the hopes of getting some great table fare? I think I am understanding though.....you don't "hunt" you just go and "shoot". Which is fair enough and completely understandable as "meat" is the #1 priority for a lot of hunters. As someone like Dana has stated before.....I will eat tag soup as opposed to whacking an animal on the first day. I appreciate that perception as I want to get out there as much as possible.

So now.....what is it that I have not learned from my Dad? Sorry.....I am missing the intelligence in that comment? What is "fairly clear" to you? I am sure what is "fairly clear" is completely "cloudy" to the bulk of people.

As far as taking credibility from "experts".....I will tell you my Dad likely spends more time than any of his counterparts in the field just "hanging around" with moose. So as for people taking his credibility....what is the problem? When you have a problem with your vehicle.....(unless you are a mechanic too?).....who are you going to look to? Something with experience....and "expertise" in the area or are you going to take it to the local crossing guard at school.....I mean they have seen LOTS of cars with their own eyes? How about the parking meter attendant? They have written up lots about cars.....they should know why your engine is knocking right??:rolleyes:

Do you do your own colonoscopies or do you let your doctor?? Why ever would you put a "expert" on a pedestal.....when you have been sitting on your own ass all your life.....you should know it better than anyone right??

A quote from the movie "Tommy Boy"........"you can get a good look at a T-Bone by stickin' your head up a bull's ass, but I would rather take the butcher's word for it"

mapguy
09-29-2007, 11:31 AM
seems to me gatehouse has started another little tiff with his partial quotes
isn't that stirring the pot

Gateholio
09-29-2007, 11:35 AM
[quote=willy442;189730][quote=Gatehouse;189466]

Willy, the point is that whenever someone cites information from a source other than yours, (especially anyone that has a degree in biology) you attempt to discredit them, because you have some knowledge of some animals and thier behaviour. It's similar to a medic saying he knows more about medicine than a doctor, or a oil change guy saying he knows more about cars than a mechanic.

This doens't mean that your opinons have no merit, it simply means that you have trouble accepting others opinions as having merit, too.

. The belief of which I'm sure you are a part of that rutting meat is as good as non rutting speaks for its self, I rest my case.

I woudl say that in general, you are correct, in that pre rut animals taste better, and that animals that eat grain taste better than those that eat bark and browse. However, I have eaten some very fine tasting animals that were rutting, and some horrible tasting ones that werent' anywhere near the rut, so I agree wiht MB Boy that much depends on the individual animal.

PS You at one time could have recieved the same info as BC Filmer. (NOT ANYMORE)

I don't think I've ever asked you for information...I certianly don't recall you putting an X on a map for me at any time.;)

MB_Boy
09-29-2007, 11:38 AM

Wow....isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?

Mapguy....try and keep up with the conversation here. You want misquotes.....explain to me some of Willy's logic??

Explain this to me?? I am still at a loss how.....from my experience there is NOT a difference in the meat.....and me hunting the rut because I enjoy calling and having fun in the bush means I have learned nothing from my Dad?? :?

I really don't care what his or anyone else's father has done. This discussion in case you missed it is about the quality of meat before and during the rut. First he stated that there was no difference and now he don't care about the meat it's more for calling moose and having fun.

Oh and Mapguy....thanks for your input!! :wink:

Gateholio
09-29-2007, 11:43 AM

Interesting opinion coming from someone with as much credibility as you.:tongue:

mapguy
09-29-2007, 01:06 PM
a lot of hunters prefer to shoot there animals before the rut simply because they stink and you can contaminate the meat quite easily . However at the same time there are many that enjoy hunting the rut . As for experts well i myself appreaciate there work but at the same time i realize that the rut will vary a bit from year to year not by much and i think the experts agree on that
from all that i have read anyways

GoatGuy
09-29-2007, 01:21 PM
the most reliable nor set in stone.

Intelligent people also know what's out there in terms of other studies, papers and management strategies. They also generally have some background in upper level statistics and if they don't know they ask others how things work and are interpreted.

You don't know them, misquote them and randomly blather out information that is always innacurate or completely incorrect. I can't count the times that you've been corrected on this board when you randomly blurt statistics out and later delete your posts.

The best information is what you see with your own eye's, not what some one else tells you.

I'd sooner take things from the experts than from the window of someone's truck but that's just me. Listening to and understanding what experts have to say is generally considered intelligent.

Kind of like with medicine - I'd sooner ask a doctor who's been around for 5 yrs about diseases than a janitor in a hospital and "seen it with their own eyes for over 30 years." Who would you ask? Let me guess you're probably an expert on that too.

There's generally people who study these animals and know the facts, not passing opinions on what has happened and should happen. Generally requires a bit of a background in biology or at the least brushing up on the science associated with wildlife management (that does not include BC's best bushpilot or guide sorry).

It's easy to convince clients from the US or Europe about what's best and how things should be run - it's a little different when you try to convince folks who are involved (particularly when what you say is incorrect).

As always your contribution is appreciated - here's to LEH!!

Sniper
09-29-2007, 02:38 PM
I noticed at the begining of this thread some people were curious as to what happened to all the Moose in the FSJ area. Well an aquaintance of mine had a Grizz LEH in the spring and told me when he returned that there was dead moose carcasses rotting every where in the bush. This fellow was told by his local rancher friend in FSJ that because of the severe draught last year there was not enough feed for the moose this winter and they starved to death as well as being hit with ticks. These fellows tried to spray some of the tick infested animals with Diesel but I suspect it was far to late. I'm sure the tick problem is because with global warming it no longer gets cold enough to kill off the majority of ticks (ticks were rare when I was a kid). To bad the government didn't get there ass in gear and drop some hay into some of the worst hit area's but isn't that the way they work? by the time they make a decission it's 2 years to late.

browningboy
09-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Just talked with my buddy and he's at 188 mile of the alaskan hwy (sat phone) and so far hes passed on numerous immatures and 3 larger bulls, and I said what you nuts! He told me he's going for the big one and also told me elk doing well as well.
He said when our group comes up it should be great hunting, just under 2 weeks now!8-)

Gamebuster
09-29-2007, 04:38 PM
MB,

It seems everyone knows but me so I gotta ask.....who's your father?

browningboy
09-29-2007, 04:42 PM
MB,

It seems everyone knows but me so I gotta ask.....who's your father?
He's Dr. Moose, the guy that studys moose and puts a fake moose head over his and challenges rutting bulls to fight etc.. he's been on discovery etc..

Jetboat
09-29-2007, 05:37 PM
One of the guys dropped by the plant for coffee today. Found a dead bull beside a road that was shot and left :x Brows only had two points. Another co-worker saw two bulls this morning, an immature they turned down and a big bull they couldn't get a shot at. Another fellow dropped his six point elk. Can't wait to hear what the rest of the guys are finding. Come on dayz off!

willy442
09-29-2007, 09:53 PM
I noticed at the begining of this thread some people were curious as to what happened to all the Moose in the FSJ area. Well an aquaintance of mine had a Grizz LEH in the spring and told me when he returned that there was dead moose carcasses rotting every where in the bush. This fellow was told by his local rancher friend in FSJ that because of the severe draught last year there was not enough feed for the moose this winter and they starved to death as well as being hit with ticks. These fellows tried to spray some of the tick infested animals with Diesel but I suspect it was far to late. I'm sure the tick problem is because with global warming it no longer gets cold enough to kill off the majority of ticks (ticks were rare when I was a kid). To bad the government didn't get there ass in gear and drop some hay into some of the worst hit area's but isn't that the way they work? by the time they make a decission it's 2 years to late.

To act on these sorts of things is no longer possible in game management. Years and years of early settlers, ranchers, natives and guides hunting and living with these animals has no value what so ever. The facts now appear to be that these peope including myself were to stupid and uneducated to learn anything by what we observed and experienced. It has been stated, dead moose with no hair are common and even required to keep the right cow, calf and bull ratio. The ironic thing is as long as they don't all die, we still have plenty to hunt because they were over populated anyway. Once hunting if we fail to find them where they were in prior years its because they moved a little further off the roads. I guess if I had to go out for a limited amount of time hunting and needed to justify the costs like most, this type of thinking might start to make some sense in my own mind too. For now though I won't be throwing in my towel and following along.

It seems we must first go to school and learn from some one else, whom learned through schools, politics and studies. From those that were already educated beyond thier intelligence and had very little time or experiance in the wild. On most occasions these folks actually hired us non observant types to safely transport them in and out of many wilderness area's in which we sometimes watched in disbelief as they dressed up like moose, caribou, bears or wolves to study a particular spiecies.

Funny thing is never did any of these people ever ask for a framed diploma, declaring we were authorities in our field, while they trusted us with thier well being. Looking back I wish we had come up with one, maybe we could have charged more and even been invited to speak around the world on horsemanship and packing green horns through the mountains.

Some of the things I did learn from my elders and my own observations are.
1. By the third week of September the Moose start into the rut here in the North.
2. It's not the weather that activates the rut. It is daylight hours that mainly contributes to initiating the rut at about the same time every year. Colder weather will increase the movement of game during the rut. Storms will decrease it.
3. If it is required that you shoot an animal for food, in the rut, take a dry cow. Stay away from stinky old bulls. ( Now I guess not only were we stupid but our taste buds and sense of smell lacked too.)
4. If you want to shoot a Moose with bigger horns, go further North because of daylight hours also increasing feeding times, horns grew bigger.

These examples could continue on for many more observations but seeing as they are worthless and I don't have a diploma making me an expert, I'll have to call it quits and learn from those that spend most thier time in concrete jungles, frequently reminding us, how they know best and have paper to prove it. They will eventually implement change, but it will always be from past harvest levels and politics. Both very poor options in my opinion, but workable and successful in the eye's of these people.

MB_Boy
09-30-2007, 12:04 PM
To act on these sorts of things is no longer possible in game management. Years and years of early settlers, ranchers, natives and guides hunting and living with these animals has no value what so ever.

Willy.....who ever said that NO ONE listens to guides, ranchers etc.??

The facts now appear to be that these peope including myself were to stupid and uneducated to learn anything by what we observed and experienced.

Hey....speaking of stupidity, what makes what you experience out on the fields any more pertinent than someone with a degree who spends countless days in the field just following the animal in question around?? So just because my father has a degree, masters and PhD and spends TONNES of time just following and observing moose he has not credibility because what??? Is it because he is not just driving to and from the combine on the back 40 and observing animals in that respect? How is it that YOU fail to give ANYONE any credibility unless they have spent their days walking at your side?

It has been stated, dead moose with no hair are common and even required to keep the right cow, calf and bull ratio. The ironic thing is as long as they don't all die, we still have plenty to hunt because they were over populated anyway. Once hunting if we fail to find them where they were in prior years its because they moved a little further off the roads. I guess if I had to go out for a limited amount of time hunting and needed to justify the costs like most, this type of thinking might start to make some sense in my own mind too. For now though I won't be throwing in my towel and following along.

Well.....yes I am very familiar with "ghost moose" and the tick infestation is rampant in some areas and I never stated that moose don't die off due to tick infestation. So what is your point in the above statement?

It seems we must first go to school and learn from some one else, whom learned through schools, politics and studies. From those that were already educated beyond thier intelligence and had very little time or experiance in the wild. On most occasions these folks actually hired us non observant types to safely transport them in and out of many wilderness area's in which we sometimes watched in disbelief as they dressed up like moose, caribou, bears or wolves to study a particular spiecies.

No one said you HAD to go to school, but for comprehension you may want to consider it. My father grew up in Northern Ontario and my grandfather was a game warden for the largest game preserve in North America. So my father spending time growing up in the bush....then choosing to go to University and get a degree, masters and PhD (in parasitology btw) and STILL spend countless hours in the wild.....you are going to pout and not give someone credit for that? Explain to me what is the difference in the fact that you obviously are bitter at anyone with a degree, but why are we supposed to give you credibility? Because YOU spend time driving to and from work watching moose out in the "rolling farmland"?

Funny thing is never did any of these people ever ask for a framed diploma, declaring we were authorities in our field, while they trusted us with thier well being. Looking back I wish we had come up with one, maybe we could have charged more and even been invited to speak around the world on horsemanship and packing green horns through the mountains.

Okay Willy.....now you are just making NO sense whatsoever. You sound like a child dying for some attention. Your statement makes no sense.....are YOU now claiming that YOU are an authority in your "field"?? What "field" is that?? You were a guide?? Great....good on ya.....there are hundreds other just like you out there.

My Dad has been fortunate enough to have an obsession with an animal.....he doesn't just sit behind a desk and a microscope....he in 100% in belief that the field is the BEST classroom of all. Fortunately for me....his obsession with the animal has also benefited him financially and myself as well. Moose paid for me to go to University......thank you moose!!

Some of the things I did learn from my elders and my own observations are.

And why can YOU learn from YOUR elders and observations and no one else is allowed to do the same??

1. By the third week of September the Moose start into the rut here in the North.

Thanks for that update.

2. It's not the weather that activates the rut. It is daylight hours that mainly contributes to initiating the rut at about the same time every year. Colder weather will increase the movement of game during the rut. Storms will decrease it.

I agree wholeheartedly.....however I do believe that temperature does play a role. It may not "initiate" the rut, but it does help faciliatate. Whether it gets them moving (god knows moose get cold).......or does get the "blood" flowing is wide open to debate.

3. If it is required that you shoot an animal for food, in the rut, take a dry cow. Stay away from stinky old bulls. ( Now I guess not only were we stupid but our taste buds and sense of smell lacked too.)

No.....it is apparent that it is ONLY YOUR taste buds that count here. No one else who has eaten moose all their life is allowed to have an opinion. Don't forget if you are passing out info to ensure that the hunter has an LEH before he whacks said "dry cow".

4. If you want to shoot a Moose with bigger horns, go further North because of daylight hours also increasing feeding times, horns grew bigger.

These examples could continue on for many more observations but seeing as they are worthless and I don't have a diploma making me an expert, I'll have to call it quits and learn from those that spend most thier time in concrete jungles, frequently reminding us, how they know best and have paper to prove it. They will eventually implement change, but it will always be from past harvest levels and politics. Both very poor options in my opinion, but workable and successful in the eye's of these people.[/

Man....you do sound like a baby. Things a little bit tough for you on the playground??

Explain to me.....I am failing to see why you choose to discredit someone with a degree who spends countless hours and days on end to study an animal? You really have an issue with anyone who doesn't walk exactly in your footsteps don't you?? Just because someone has a title with the gov't.....and a piece of "paper"......coupled with countless hours spent in the bush.....and gathering feedback from CO's, guides, outfitters etc.....they need to pay heed to the gospel according to Willy:442?? Willy....enlighten me with your past accomplishments so as to understand why everyone should bow down to the words of the "442"?

Oh....still waiting for an answer to your slagging of my father.....his theories and all the people who oppose his "research"??? Have you EVER read anything published by my father? There are books and countless papers that he has authored and co-authored.

Me thinks that Willy has got nothing to say when questioned but just to babble teary responses as he stamps his feet.

Good on ya buddy. Keep making statements with NOTHING to back yourself up.

Oh....and still waiting

willy442
09-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Like most with your views you are excellent at picking and twisting things out of context. Please read my signature, its self explanitory. Beware you don't shoot anyone pretending to be a moose. Then if you are successful enjoy your rutting meat.

mapguy
09-30-2007, 01:30 PM
mb boy you must admit someone running around the bush waveing moose antlers at moose might by many be considered a little foolish .
there is no hard and fast science to wildlife just mostly personal observations
but what does this have to do with moose up north

lip_ripper00
09-30-2007, 02:24 PM
mb boy you must admit someone running around the bush waveing moose antlers at moose might by many be considered a little foolish .
there is no hard and fast science to wildlife just mostly personal observations
but what does this have to do with moose up north

you are so right, but I can see nothing in your post about moose up North, so please keep this thread on track:idea:

Gateholio
09-30-2007, 03:21 PM
A person can have the most information in the world about a subject, but if he want people to listen to him, take notice of his opinions he better do more than just attempt to discredit others.

Observation and information needs to be distilled down into useful data and then distributed if it is to be of any use to anyone.

willy442
09-30-2007, 04:27 PM
A person can have the most information in the world about a subject, but if he want people to listen to him, take notice of his opinions he better do more than just attempt to discredit others.

Observation and information needs to be distilled down into useful data and then distributed if it is to be of any use to anyone.

Thanks for your opinion and advice Gatehouse.

However as I,ve stated before and will again. I know and believe what I observed hunting these animals for over thirty years. I've also met and worked with Dr Tony Bubenik in the past, who is also a very credible Moose Biologist and one I might add that valued his relationships with the guides of the 70s and 80s. While working on his papers and reports at no time do I ever recall him dressing up with Bull Moose head gear, nor do I recall him putting on Moose hunting seminars across the country to line his pockets with the information and film footage he aquired.

Nowhere in my posts do I totally discredit Dr Vince Crichton some of his work on Moose habitat was outstanding, all I've said is he is one of many and not all agree with his publications nor his methods of gathering info.

As for the philosiphy and explanation of discrediting others, you are again showing your leadership ability and moderating qualities. From now on though if you want to lecture me please show your diploma, so you also have some credibility or stick to what you know best cooking burgers.:p

daycort
09-30-2007, 05:11 PM
moose in my area are starting to drop. not as good as most yearss but they are hanging in camps everywhere.

MB Boy: Thanks to seeing your dad walking around with a moose head, I have had several close and exciting encounters with moose waving my bow over my head in plain site of the bull. All they do is grunt and swing there head and as soon as I would drop my bow by my side the moose would wonder off slowly. He was pretty cool watching him in his discovery channel documentry. Be very proud.

Mr. Dean
09-30-2007, 05:18 PM
stick to what you know best cooking burgers.

Willers, I can only assume that you don't know the rules here. :?

I suggest that that you look em up and do a re-read of them. From the top of my pointy head, this busts 2 of them.

*** I know of 4 Bull Moose being taken over the past week, from the Dawsons Creek area. FWIW.

Looks as if it's a happen'n. :cool:

Stone Sheep Steve
09-30-2007, 05:23 PM
Willy- We all know you have extensive knowledge of the north and it's critters. No one is denying that. If I had that kind of knowledge I would also like to share it.
But just like Gatehouse knows about food.........Presentation is the key!;)

SSS

willy442
09-30-2007, 06:28 PM
Willy- We all know you have extensive knowledge of the north and it's critters. No one is denying that. If I had that kind of knowledge I would also like to share it.
But just like Gatehouse knows about food.........Presentation is the key!;)

SSS

Don't worry SSS My information nor presentation is something you to need to concern yourself with. I usually only help out those deserving of the help and information I can provide and last time I looked you were'nt on the list. Thanks for the advice though.:smile:

willy442
09-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Willers, I can only assume that you don't know the rules here. :?

I suggest that that you look em up and do a re-read of them. From the top of my pointy head, this busts 2 of them.

*** I know of 4 Bull Moose being taken over the past week, from the Dawsons Creek area. FWIW.

Looks as if it's a happen'n. :cool:

Mr Dean; Sorry about being one of many breaking the rules here. Yes I know of a few more moose being harvested here also, although still not as many as usual. The guy's going a hundred or so miles north of here are doing very well right now. Talked to a party of 5 today that had 5 moose in 6 days from mile 202 on the highway.

daycort
09-30-2007, 06:42 PM
willy, do you think the moose will spread out more in our area now that the population has dwindled alittle and increase there roaming territory.

willy442
09-30-2007, 07:19 PM
willy, do you think the moose will spread out more in our area now that the population has dwindled alittle and increase there roaming territory.

From what I've seen in our old guide area the moose are fairly territorial and usually don't relocate frequently unless pressured. I've seen bulls stay in the same valley year after year. In a case though of having to many moose in one place and to few in an adjacent area, I think they would naturally move and gradually refill the depleted areas. Lets not forget the wolves and other predators, that now have a decrease in moose, also have to move somewhat to survive. This will also add to the dispersment of high densities through out the area over a fairly short time. Lets just hope we have a decent winter and a couple of weeks of -40 to kill off the ticks and our moose population will thrive again.

daycort
09-30-2007, 07:29 PM
willy on the graham last yearwe rarely dipped below minus 20 and at times it was minus forty for days on end and it didn't seem to get the ticks here? Is there a "just right" season for the ticks to devolope in early spring? I have heard and seen when the moose will stand in water up to there ears and just stay put. Maybe not old territorial bulls won't move around, but I bet the young ones(bulls and cows) that are just off moms tit will definetly move into the vacant valleys and swamps where no moose are curently at.

willy442
09-30-2007, 07:38 PM
willy on the graham last yearwe rarely dipped below minus 20 and at times it was minus forty for days on end and it didn't seem to get the ticks here? Is there a "just right" season for the ticks to devolope in early spring? I have heard and seen when the moose will stand in water up to there ears and just stay put. Maybe not old territorial bulls won't move around, but I bet the young ones(bulls and cows) that are just off moms tit will definetly move into the vacant valleys and swamps where no moose are curently at.

We need the cold in late winter or early spring for the ticks. Looking back a few years it seems our winters were colder and I can't remember the ticks being as bad as the last couple of years.

I think the same as you on the young moose moving, but with out collaring or some form of marking them it's damn hard to tell one from the other to confirm where they travelled.

daycort
09-30-2007, 07:42 PM
We need the cold in late winter or early spring for the ticks. Looking back a few years it seems our winters were colder and I can't remember the ticks being as bad as the last couple of years.

I think the same as you on the young moose moving, but with out collaring or some form of marking them it's damn hard to tell one from the other to confirm where they travelled.

It could be like the damn pine beatle and have built in antfreeze in there system.

Maybe I will bring up a rope horse and a branding iron and see if i can't maverick a few for us to mark there movement....

elkdom
09-30-2007, 07:44 PM
Buddy of mine took 48 inch bull moose couple days ago 11+13 pts withsome extra nubs that dont count, out in old log slash, moose was facing him , buddy wanted side shot ,waves his arms yells , moose just kept walking towards buddy , at 200 yds bullwinkle desides to beat up on a birch sapling, bad mistake! buddy wacks him one time in the pump! ,bullwinkle stands up on rear legs ,topples over on his back,dosent even wiggle! DOA. 7mm mag 160 grn, not stinky not chewy just perfect 660 pds qrt"d

Gateholio
09-30-2007, 09:28 PM
As for the philosiphy and explanation of discrediting others, you are again showing your leadership ability and moderating qualities. From now on though if you want to lecture me please show your diploma, so you also have some credibility or stick to what you know best cooking burgers.

I can also show you my diploma after graduating from culinary school, but somehow I still think you would still tell me that my knowledge of making soup is incomplete, and you know better.;-):cool:

Willy, I have quite a bit of leadership and moderating skills, here are my credentials: I've been in charge of multi million dollar facilities, generating several million dollars in revenue per year, as well as directly and indirectly supervising up to 150 people at a time.

As you can imagine, this has required quite a few skills (and training) in dealing with interpersonal conflicts, labour issues and all the other stuff that comes along with dealing with people, many of them having differing viewpoints.

In most situations, it is important that all the different parties acknowledge each others concerns without engaging in insulting language. And, as I said, this is where I take exception to some of your posts- It is not that I do not believe that you have a keen interest in wildlife, and a good knowledge of wildlife. It is that you often attempt to discredit others when sharing your opinion.

You have just made a couple of informative, helpful posts and it would be nice to see more in that style, rather than the other.:D

Elkhound
09-30-2007, 09:37 PM
hmmmm I think I am all caught up now.:roll:

Marc is away so it's up to me. We can now get the thread back on topic.

Willy442 has a 1 week time out. Belittling other members is not called for.

And Mapguy......well you I have had enough of. You already have had a time out. This time it's a permanent one. Trying to start a fight when it was not needed.....You are like a kid on the playground egging two others on to get a fight going. Not needed here.

So there....all done. People can now play nice.

MBBoy's father is a highly respected individual all over the world for his Moose Studies. Us hunters owe him alot for his work.

And yes the rut starts due to light and the eyes.....but let me throw my hat in the ring here as an eye care proffessional. Weather plays a huge role on how much light can enter the eye. So you both were correct:lol:

So how are the moose doing up north? Enquiring minds want to know. I wish I was there moose hunting right now.

lip_ripper00
10-01-2007, 12:09 AM
So how are the moose doing up north? Enquiring minds want to know. I wish I was there moose hunting right now.

thanks for that!!!:mrgreen:

Westicle
10-01-2007, 05:56 AM
I see 2-3 moose every day going into work :)

Jetboat
10-01-2007, 08:00 AM
Our EI guy was hunting this past weekend and saw 8 cow/calf moose together in a logging slash. There was was smallish bull with them that wasn't legal.
*edited to add*
Another co-worker saw four bulls, no legal ones, three cows and a calf. They tried calling them and the bulls ignored their calls and went back to feeding. Hmmm...

MB_Boy
10-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Just one quick thing to point out here and then I shall let it rest.

Thanks for your opinion and advice Gatehouse.

However as I,ve stated before and will again. I know and believe what I observed hunting these animals for over thirty years. I've also met and worked with Dr Tony Bubenik in the past, who is also a very credible Moose Biologist and one I might add that valued his relationships with the guides of the 70s and 80s. While working on his papers and reports at no time do I ever recall him dressing up with Bull Moose head gear, nor do I recall him putting on Moose hunting seminars across the country to line his pockets with the information and film footage he aquired.

Well Willy.....Dr, Bubenik (who also has a degree and some 'paper' associated with his name) was the ORIGINATOR of my Dad's foam moose head that he straps to his chest. Dr. Bubenik was a mentor of my Dad's and a very close friend. If you don't think he donned a moose head then YOU obviously are not very familiar with his work and experiments conducted in learning more about antler size and the role it plays.

In my Dad's position with the MB gov't one of his many areas is relations with the G/O's....natives and all other interest groups that have an interest in the big game ungulate population in MB.

Also....my Dad rarely get's paid for an appearance/talk. He does NOT host moose hunting seminars however he has been asked to speak at them from time to time. He does it out of his "dorky" passion for the animals.

I am actually the one who is pushing for him to start charging some money for appearances or for film crews that come to go filming with him. See I am the part of the family with the "business" background.:-D

Nowhere in my posts do I totally discredit Dr Vince Crichton some of his work on Moose habitat was outstanding, all I've said is he is one of many and not all agree with his publications nor his methods of gathering info.

Again.....I will ask you perhaps you can share who this is, and what controversial opinions there are? Define "total" discredit? You made your statements challenging with NOTHING to back them up other than stirring the pot?

People have an issue with what methods of 'gathering info'? Donning a moose head in a National Park where hunting is prohibited, so that he can follow these animals for hours on end in THEIR natural setting? Hmmm.....ya, must be crazy to have a moose just comfortably bed down 20' from someone. Must be a crazy method of gathering observational information....to have moose fighting right in front of you, or wallowing. Or spend so much time with the animals that you get on video (rarely ever captured) a bull moose eating the velvet from his antlers. Crazy observations which should not have credit because of a degree, masters and PhD???

It would seem that YOU demand all sorts of credibility for what YOU observe, but for my Dad to go out and observe moose with an obsession is wrong because he also spent years at University? Trust me.....I hated it as a child. 10 minutes of watching a moose feed was enough for me....let alone following it around in the bush all day.....but that is just what he does. "Observation".

As for the philosiphy and explanation of discrediting others, you are again showing your leadership ability and moderating qualities. From now on though if you want to lecture me please show your diploma, so you also have some credibility or stick to what you know best cooking burgers.

Well that says a lot about what you are.

Anyhow....sorry all that this went sideways and I apologize to ARC and the mods. How about a thread with pictures of moose that have been taken up North?? :biggrin: