PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in snow storm at Redfern - Need urgent help

champs
08-19-2019, 02:03 PM
Hello. My husband and son are stuck in a snow storm in the Redfern-Keilly provincial park. They travelled in on a side-by-side by the road out is blocked by branches pushed down by the snow. Chain saw is out of gas. Does anyone know if there is an outfitter in that area that may be able to help? Or any suggestions at all? They are cold and wet and stuck. Thanks.

monasheemountainman
08-19-2019, 02:21 PM
if its that urgent you should probably call some sar or something not post it on the internet...JMO sorry not trying to sound rude...How far in are they? can they walk out and go back in with more fuel later??

champs
08-19-2019, 02:27 PM
Thanks for responding. We're just trying to consider all the options before calling SAR. Just talked with them and they are going to try to hike out - not too far (15k) just slow in the snow. Thanks again.

Wentrot
08-19-2019, 02:29 PM
Thanks for responding. We're just trying to consider all the options before calling SAR. Just talked with them and they are going to try to hike out - not too far (15k) just slow in the snow. Thanks again.

No shame in calling for help being wet and cold in a snow storm is the recipe for disaster.

RyoTHC
08-19-2019, 02:40 PM
Situation like that can go from good to bad real quick, SAR would rather an easy retrieve of two people than a hunt for them if they don’t show up. I second SAR sooner rather than later.

i feel like they much prefer the rescue part than the searching.

08-19-2019, 02:42 PM
Champs, SAR is there to help.
Call RCMP they are there to help.

please do this now.

RyoTHC
08-19-2019, 02:43 PM
Cold and wet turns into hypothermic really quick , maybe they can walk 13km out but not the last 2? Get someone heading their way ASAP.

08-19-2019, 02:45 PM
a lot can happen, and no one wants it to.
you have a line of communication right now. Your family needs to hunker down and know someone is coming. If its a storm and is that bad, they need to hunker down..

monasheemountainman
08-19-2019, 02:53 PM
At least they are on a road and know the way out, but yea definitely get someone heading their way to get them

Foxton Gundogs
08-19-2019, 03:19 PM
I agree, get help now, Better to soon than to late, Hind sight is 20/20 but I always carry an ax and bow saw as well as a chain saw. they never run out of fuel or break down at the worst time. Just a general hint for everyone.

Amphibious
08-19-2019, 03:27 PM
Qwest, Highland, and Bailey helicopters all have machines in that area. Could call them to drop gas and check on your boys.

champs
08-19-2019, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the advice. We have a plan in motion. I will call SAR if they don't meet their next check point. Thanks again.

BStrachan
08-19-2019, 04:23 PM
Hope they make it out safely. If I lived up that way I would go and help. Looking forward to hear about their safe return.

rocksteady
08-19-2019, 04:52 PM
Qwest, Highland, and Bailey helicopters all have machines in that area. Could call them to drop gas and check on your boys.

Unfortunately if the snow storm is that bad they may not have vis to fly

moosinaround
08-19-2019, 04:55 PM
Swinging an axe, and running a hand saw are good ways to stay warm too. If I wasn’t 9 hrs away I’d head in too! Please keep us posted! Moosin

Amphibious
08-19-2019, 05:02 PM
Unfortunately if the snow storm is that bad they may not have vis to fly

GFA's look good for the next 12hrs. You'd be surprised what we can fly in.

nebcfarmer
08-19-2019, 05:03 PM
What road did they go in on? I’m driving by there tomorrow.

S.W.A.T.
08-19-2019, 05:16 PM
I'm a little confused. Obviously they have contact with the outside world, why dont they just contact for help

Muledeercrazy2
08-19-2019, 05:42 PM
I'm a little confused. Obviously they have contact with the outside world, why dont they just contact for help

I don't think they were looking for SAR, just some help if it was available. I can understand that, there doesn't need to be just two awnswers, SAR or no help at all. Personally, short of an accident or serious injury I wouldn't want someone calling the cavalry for me.

Muledeercrazy2
08-19-2019, 05:44 PM
There should be a hunting bc help page, except it would get plugged up by guys looking for another bottle or case of beer 200km out of town.

monasheemountainman
08-19-2019, 05:58 PM
There should be a hunting bc help page, except it would get plugged up by guys looking for another bottle or case of beer 200km out of town.

Hahahaha good idea! I’ve had that emergency a few times!

robert05
08-19-2019, 06:45 PM
I quess my take on this whole situation is to stay put and build a fire and wait a couple of days for the snow to clear.
if they do not have sufficient supply's to last a few days they have no business being in there. Sorry to be harsh but
that is bush reality.f

2chodi
08-19-2019, 06:51 PM
Besa River Outfitters is on the trail to Redfern, but it sounds like they never got that far. The forecast is for much warmer starting this afternoon.

S.W.A.T.
08-19-2019, 08:15 PM
I guess knowing where redfern is might also shed some light

boxhitch
08-19-2019, 08:33 PM
If it is an emergency and just not an inconvenience , call 911, they will determine best action. They may know of a local or call the sar group or use RC's own heli or ........

boxhitch
08-19-2019, 08:36 PM
I guess knowing where redfern is might also shed some lightNW of Pink

HarryToolips
08-19-2019, 08:40 PM
I agree, get help now, Better to soon than to late, Hind sight is 20/20 but I always carry an ax and bow saw as well as a chain saw. they never run out of fuel or break down at the worst time. Just a general hint for everyone.
I do as well, and it is a good tip...how's it going OP, has SAR been called or another means of rescue?

northof49
08-19-2019, 09:18 PM
This was posted as need for urgent help....hopefully you contacted SAR. 15km through the wet snow and brush without proper gear will likely take 5-6hrs. Hopefully they are out to truck by now or had ability to start fire.

Huntingtyler123
08-19-2019, 09:25 PM
Hope they are ok now, please update us when you can ����

Downtown
08-19-2019, 09:28 PM
Hello. My husband and son are stuck in a snow storm in the Redfern-Keilly provincial park. They travelled in on a side-by-side by the road out is blocked by branches pushed down by the snow. Chain saw is out of gas. Does anyone know if there is an outfitter in that area that may be able to help? Or any suggestions at all? They are cold and wet and stuck. Thanks.

The CO service in Fort Nelson would know the contact information for the licenced outfitter in that particular Area. The CO service must also be notified in advance of any use of a Helicopter during a Hunting Expedition otherwise Charges could be laid.

While Piss poor Planning may make for great Adventures, Hunters venturing into remote areas of BC should be expected to make reasonable provisions to cover all eventualities.

Cheers

Downtown
08-19-2019, 09:31 PM
I quess my take on this whole situation is to stay put and build a fire and wait a couple of days for the snow to clear.
if they do not have sufficient supply's to last a few days they have no business being in there. Sorry to be harsh but
that is bush reality.f

2nd that.

Cheers

Mutter87
08-19-2019, 09:54 PM
No word or update??

elker
08-19-2019, 10:41 PM
It doesn't make sense, from the very beginning of the story

britman101
08-20-2019, 12:41 AM
Areas above Fort Nelson got hammered by early snowfall on the weekend. Hopefully they got out, or Search and Rescue were called to get them out of there. Being trapped in wet and cold conditions would be a sure recipe for disaster.

boxhitch
08-20-2019, 04:50 AM
I can feel for their situation. You just have to witness what 6" of heavy wet snow will do to a fully leafed out poplar or birch or willow. More than just a few bent branches, lots of times the trunk is bowed or shattered, there could be thousands of fallen trees on the trail
On the plus side lots of northern trails will be better for years to come, with less encroaching foliage )

Fella
08-20-2019, 06:55 AM

What doesn’t make sense?

Wild one
08-20-2019, 07:16 AM

Or is it beyond your mental capacity to understand the situation :roll:

Read Boxhitch’s post and you might be able to comprehend what they are likely experiencing. It would suck to be caught not being prepared for those conditions

Boner
08-20-2019, 07:45 AM

It’s a hunter’s wife asking for help for her husband and son. It’s not a story. It’s one of the good things about this site, maybe someone in the area could help. I would be so lucky that my wife would go on here to ask for help if I needed it.

Speaking of stories, what happened to that thread of you filling your wife’s tag?

solo
08-20-2019, 07:45 AM
@Champs I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I hope your guys had a safe night, and that they get themselves and their equipment out of the bush. I can’t even imagine how you could deal with all the thousands of broken trees, let alone over a foot of fresh wet snow. Good luck, and I think they are very lucky to have you on the ground to help them get out.

elker
08-20-2019, 07:52 AM
If the trapped duo can communicate with their family, they can communicate with the SAR. If the wife can ask help in this chat room, she can contact the SAR or rcmp as well.
Why the didn't do it? Time was being wasted.
were they worried about paying rescue fees?
Their action or inaction reminds me the wife of my friend. She saw my friend lying on bed with foams coming from his mouth, she didn't call the ambulance, he called another friend to come to help. In the end, my friend died. He might have been saved had she called the ambulance the first place

REMINGTON JIM
08-20-2019, 07:55 AM
Elker KNOWS everything - You ALL Need to pay attention to that Genius ! :shock::tongue: RJ

08-20-2019, 08:03 AM
No matter how prepared and knowledgeable a guy is, things can go south to the point where help is required. Always good to lend a hand and not judge, because next time it could be you.

Wild one
08-20-2019, 08:15 AM
No matter how prepared and knowledgeable a guy is, things can go south to the point where help is required. Always good to lend a hand and not judge, because next time it could be you.

Could not agree more. Better off to build good karma and help when you can because you never know when things could go sideways

I have had people help me out when I was in the spot and have done the same for others. If it’s over a dumb mistake I have taken some teasing well being helped but I do the same to others in those situations so it’s karma :-P

hope this group is experiencing a better day this morning

Wild one
08-20-2019, 08:18 AM
If the trapped duo can communicate with their family, they can communicate with the SAR. If the wife can ask help in this chat room, she can contact the SAR or rcmp as well.
Why the didn't do it? Time was being wasted.
were they worried about paying rescue fees?
Their action or inaction reminds me the wife of my friend. She saw my friend lying on bed with foams coming from his mouth, she didn't call the ambulance, he called another friend to come to help. In the end, my friend died. He might have been saved had she called the ambulance the first place

It becomes clearer every time I read your posts why other members have called you an idiot in past threads

bigredchev
08-20-2019, 08:34 AM
A fellow on here helped tow our broken duck punt 12 or more years ago.

He and his son showed up for for a set of binos free to go to a new hunter. What comes around goes around.

GEF
08-20-2019, 08:36 AM
Why is it when someone asks for advice or help on this site it turns in to an opportunity for some members to judge and criticize.I mean really !
My grandmother used to say if you don't have anything nice to say dont say anything at all.Its not helpful .The lady is worried for her son and husband ,help her out or keep your negative comments to your self.

Fella
08-20-2019, 08:39 AM
Why is it when someone asks for advice or help on this site it turns in to an opportunity for some members to judge and criticize.I mean really !
My grandmother used to say if you don't have anything nice to say dont say anything at all.Its not helpful .The lady is worried for her son and husband ,help her out or keep your negative comments to your self.

The advent of the internet suddenly made everyone a know it all

Bubbacanuck
08-20-2019, 08:43 AM
Hoping today they are having a better day

elker
08-20-2019, 08:46 AM
It becomes clearer every time I read your posts why other members have called you an idiot in past threads
As long as you can read and type a few words, I am happy for you. Not every high school dropout can do what you do.

Jrax
08-20-2019, 08:54 AM
Its mid - august and a snow storm like that even in a place like Redfern is a rare event. Not everyone will be prepared for that in august nor need be. The OP is asking for help and probably used the word 'urgent' as she is trying to get help for husband and son and is worried. I think we can already deduce its not an emergency and they just want out. They have communication to SAR and RCMP if they need.

this is when hunting community should not judge and just help. Hope someone was able to get to them and they get out.

S.W.A.T.
08-20-2019, 08:57 AM
NW of Pink

Was the redfern I was thinking of also, that far north, in this condition..... I don't understand why a real effort for help isn't being made? Prep time and briefing, drive time to entrance of trail or where starting point, all this could easily ad up to 4+ hours.

Hope these folks are ok

elker
08-20-2019, 09:01 AM

My apologies!
I did not read this post before throwing out my opinion too fast.
I hope your family have made it out from the snow and are now safe.

Ltbullken
08-20-2019, 09:46 AM
This was posted as need for urgent help....hopefully you contacted SAR. 15km through the wet snow and brush without proper gear will likely take 5-6hrs. Hopefully they are out to truck by now or had ability to start fire.

I'd double that travel time through thick snow. Bad idea to walk out. Stay with your gear, build a shelter, stay put ... #1 rule of lost or in a bad way in the back country.

08-20-2019, 09:47 AM
this is when hunting community should not judge and just help. Hope someone was able to get to them and they get out.

+1.......................

Big Lew
08-20-2019, 09:50 AM
I agree with hunkering down, building a fire, and waiting it out while people come in to get you out.
I recall when a 14 year old boy went for help, leaving his family by their truck and camper that had
slid off the road ending up perched at a bad angle. That was also during snowy and nasty conditions.
He never made it because he exhausted himself and died from exposure. That was on the Hope-Ross
Lake road.

Ltbullken
08-20-2019, 10:02 AM
I agree with hunkering down, building a fire, and waiting it out while people come in to get you out.
I recall when a 14 year old boy went for help, leaving his family by their truck and camper that had
slid off the road ending up perched at a bad angle. That was also during snowy and nasty conditions.
He never made it because he exhausted himself and died from exposure. That was on the Hope-Ross
Lake road.

Walking out, sprain an ankle or knee in the snow... It's the terrible cascade of bad decisions. Stay with your gear, build shelter, fire, eat, brew up! Winter camping!

champs
08-20-2019, 10:06 AM
Safe and sound. Thanks for your help.

walks with deer
08-20-2019, 10:12 AM
great do hear....!!!@

twoSevenO
08-20-2019, 10:14 AM
I'd double that travel time through thick snow. Bad idea to walk out. Stay with your gear, build a shelter, stay put ... #1 rule of lost or in a bad way in the back country.

x2! Stay put. Stay warm.

Bit of a freak storm right now, there's no doubt about that. If they're worried about hypothermia you better hit that "SOS" on the inReach before its too late!
Or get you to call it in if they are able to text you from a phone.

08-20-2019, 10:15 AM
I'm Glad Champs, give them my best.

After you are all rested up, take a look at what happened and see if you guys did everything right or somethings wrong. It is always best to go through it when its fresh. by no means am I saying there is anything but maybe there was some small thing that could be done.

DeepJeep
08-20-2019, 10:22 AM
Great news!

GEF
08-20-2019, 10:30 AM
Good news ! Glad to here all is well.No one can prepare for 15 k of wet snow wind fall.Freak storm.

Ltbullken
08-20-2019, 10:58 AM
I'm Glad Champs, give them my best.

After you are all rested up, take a look at what happened and see if you guys did everything right or somethings wrong. It is always best to go through it when its fresh. by no means am I saying there is anything but maybe there was some small thing that could be done.

Always wise to debrief/after-action-review when that happens. Lessons learned for next time.

Glad everything worked out.

northof49
08-20-2019, 11:27 AM
Great news...good it worked out

r106
08-20-2019, 11:47 AM

Great to hear

r106
08-20-2019, 11:48 AM

Well said.....

Downwindtracker2
08-20-2019, 12:02 PM
It's not the first time, in northern BC, we've had an early snow. Most of us have seen what happens to leaf trees when they load with snow. The leaves are supposed to be off when it snows. If any of you have opened trail after, you know what they were facing.

ElectricDyck
08-20-2019, 12:37 PM
We got into the same thing on a remote logging road in the TSako lake area, big snowfall in September..had to chainsaw for about 2km..2 guys walking in front of the truck while we crept along ..without the chainsaw we weren't going anywhere..

REMINGTON JIM
08-20-2019, 01:14 PM

Great points Gary ;-) - Elker's a REAL Helper Outer ! :frown: RJ

REMINGTON JIM
08-20-2019, 01:16 PM
Great to HEAR that All are Well and Safe ! :smile: RJ

eatram
08-20-2019, 02:53 PM
so did they see any rams?

tyreguy
08-20-2019, 03:55 PM
SxS and chainsaws...............i'm thinking moose

so did they see any rams?

BStrachan
08-20-2019, 04:38 PM

Happy to read they made it out safe

rocksteady
08-20-2019, 04:50 PM
Good, bad or indifferent.. a good ending

BCHUNTER21
08-20-2019, 06:11 PM
like bring more gas for the chainsaw!!

rocksteady
08-20-2019, 06:47 PM

Easy to be a armchair quarterback when not in the bush..

northof49
08-20-2019, 07:28 PM
A few real tools on HBC....thank goodness for the ignore list!!

Arctic Lake
08-20-2019, 07:45 PM
Glad they are AOKAY !
Arctic Lake

GEF
08-20-2019, 10:34 PM
Really?
How many gallons of fuel would you have brought to brush 15 kms of blow down?

Drillbit
08-20-2019, 10:40 PM
how many gallons of fuel for 15 kms of solid brushing on a trail ?

They probably had enough gas having a Sxs. Probably ran out of mix oil for the saw.

Glad to hear they made it out ok. Hopefully they can regroup and get back in there for a Moose!

Jagermeister
08-21-2019, 12:35 AM
Here's the lesson.
When you are caught in the middle of a snowstorm, use your chainsaw to cut firewood and build shelter instead of blowing the saw gas on cutting snow laden branches. You know that if it's snowing hard, there is going to be a shitload of sagging branches and maybe some toppled trees. The idea is to stay warm and dry and presumably with some food and drink to tide you over. Once the storm abates you get on your way. You use your sat phone or whatever the communication device may be to inform the good woman at home you are going to be delayed and will contact her again when you are on the way and what time she should expect you. Failing your arrival she can then phone the police that you are overdue and she hasn't heard from you since yesterday. And then post it here to seek to see if any of the good members perchance have any information on your whereabouts.
The only one that saw the light of day was S.W.A.T. with his post, " I'm a little confused. Obviously they have contact with the outside world, why dont they just contact for help".

boxhitch
08-21-2019, 07:19 AM
How can you construct a lesson pertaining to this situation which you don't know anything about
Confused? only if trying to finish a puzzle with so many missing pieces

Wild one
08-21-2019, 07:33 AM
Really no matter how prepared people are shit can go sideways give it a break people

bearvalley
08-21-2019, 07:56 AM
The weather conditions in the north are a challenge right now to anyone out in the bush.
One to two feet of snow depending on your altitude and now pissing down rain.
Flying is limited....so extended lakeside camp outs are happening.
Some of the “couch critics” on here don’t have a clue what an early winter storm like this can be to deal with.

butcher
08-21-2019, 08:17 AM
The weather conditions in the north are a challenge right now to anyone out in the bush.
One to two feet of snow depending on your altitude and now pissing down rain.
Flying is limited....so extended lakeside camp outs are happening.
Some of the “couch critics” on here don’t have a clue what an early winter storm like this can be to deal with.

Yep. I’m stuck in Dease right now waiting on a flight. There are a bunch of groups ahead of us and a whole bunch in the bush waiting to come out. We are the lucky ones.

Redthies
08-21-2019, 08:27 AM
Elker KNOWS everything - You ALL Need to pay attention to that Genius ! :shock::tongue: RJ

Damn. And I just added him to my “ignore” list. I thought I had “learned” enough from him by now...

albravo2
08-21-2019, 08:29 AM

Holy cow, a page and a half of crap before someone posted something sensible and helpful. Well said 325

eatram
08-21-2019, 01:24 PM
Can we all get back to the original point here, fellas?! E-hem..... Um, maam?! Did they see any game there? And how big?... (turns head and shushes the rest, then turns back to intently listen)

Ferenc
08-21-2019, 01:46 PM
Sounds like that trail turned into spaghetti once the snow hit ... branches heavy laden with leaves then snow... probably even tryin to walk on that trail presented a challenge ... glad you made it out.

Spy
08-21-2019, 05:48 PM
Really happy to hear that the guys made it out safe... That said WTF is wrong with some people posing on this thread ? The lady asked for help not a lecture or smart ass comments....

ACB
08-21-2019, 07:24 PM
So good that they made it out, 6" of Aug. wet snow and popular tree's full of leaf's is a bad mix. A number of years a go I was hunting off of the Hart Heritage hwy. south of Tumbler Ridge and they had a snow storm around labour day weekend about 12", cut lines that we liked to hunt were totally impassable, like trying to walk through a game of pick sticks. I can't imagine being 10-15km off road and having to pick my way though that.

champs
08-21-2019, 11:20 PM
Plenty of wisdom to be garnered through this. First ensure that your wife does not use the words "urgent help needed" on this site when all you want to know is an answer to a simple question. That question was this: how far down redfern lake trail is the outfitter camp located and if it actually exists.

Now I am the husband (champs) who was stuck, cold and wet on the trail. But I can assure you all an SOS was not required.

Here's the story for any of you that care. Critique how you may like, I'm ok with learning.

We entered redfern knowing heavy precip was forecasted, along with 1-3 cm of snow. We experienced closer to 30cm of snow. We spent 36 hours in the tent waiting out the storm, a known potential problem for those of us in the back country. We decided to leave after the storm finished. For those unfamiliar with redfern it is basically a quad trail, many km through alders. We were in 20 km. As people have said already snowfall before leaves fall brings down many trees and basically make roads impassable. We had what I figured would be 8km of work before the road would be at a slightly lower elevation (thus less snow), and wider thus less impacted by alders laying down. The number of downed trees was much greater than I expected. After running out of gas, 5 hours into the job, I had covered almost 4km. I then switched to my axe and hand saw with which I was slower (shocker). At that point I wondered hmmm, where is that outfitter camp?
Of course I missed the fact that the camp would have to be further down the trail from where I was which was obviously as impassable as what I was dealing with (haha .... Fool). And that's when you all saw the "urgent need for help". Sorry for the drama. It was not an SOS scenario or an unprepared fool (well not totally I think). At all times I had food, tent, sleeping bag and clothes in waterproof bags available for use. At any time I could have built a fire and hunkered down and been dry. I just didn't want to after the 36 hour tent stay already.

As far as hiking out 15 km, it's not an unusual thing for my son and I to do. Last year we hiked into redfern... This year we chose the sxs. In the end another hunter was traveling up the trail clearing from below what I had given up on clearing from above. My son and I hiked 1.5 km down the trail, met them coming up and then of course returned to our sxs and continued down. In addition, there were other parties dealing with exiting redfern from much deeper than I was who passed my stationary sxs as I hiked. I knew other parties had to be around dealing with the same issues. It was a long day reaching the truck around 10 pm.
Anyhow that's the story.

As for seeing game, I did call in a black bear, only for it to show up once I had given up and decided to take care of the morning constitutional. 15 yards apart the bear was safe as I held the TP.

ACB
08-21-2019, 11:32 PM
Lesson learn't, never have you're gun more than a arms length away when you're hunting, even when you're in the middle of the morning constitutional. Just for a case in point, a friend of my fathers shot the biggest mulie buck that he ever shot in the middle of his morning constitutional and then he finished his morning business. So glad that the out come was positive.

Jagermeister
08-22-2019, 12:03 AM
Plenty of wisdom to be garnered through this. First ensure that your wife does not use the words "urgent help needed" on this site when all you want to know is an answer to a simple question. That question was this: how far down redfern lake trail is the outfitter camp located and if it actually exists.

Now I am the husband (champs) who was stuck, cold and wet on the trail. But I can assure you all an SOS was not required.

Here's the story for any of you that care. Critique how you may like, I'm ok with learning.

We entered redfern knowing heavy precip was forecasted, along with 1-3 cm of snow. We experienced closer to 30cm of snow. We spent 36 hours in the tent waiting out the storm, a known potential problem for those of us in the back country. We decided to leave after the storm finished. For those unfamiliar with redfern it is basically a quad trail, many km through alders. We were in 20 km. As people have said already snowfall before leaves fall brings down many trees and basically make roads impassable. We had what I figured would be 8km of work before the road would be at a slightly lower elevation (thus less snow), and wider thus less impacted by alders laying down. The number of downed trees was much greater than I expected. After running out of gas, 5 hours into the job, I had covered almost 4km. I then switched to my axe and hand saw with which I was slower (shocker). At that point I wondered hmmm, where is that outfitter camp?
Of course I missed the fact that the camp would have to be further down the trail from where I was which was obviously as impassable as what I was dealing with (haha .... Fool). And that's when you all saw the "urgent need for help". Sorry for the drama. It was not an SOS scenario or an unprepared fool (well not totally I think). At all times I had food, tent, sleeping bag and clothes in waterproof bags available for use. At any time I could have built a fire and hunkered down and been dry. I just didn't want to after the 36 hour tent stay already.

As far as hiking out 15 km, it's not an unusual thing for my son and I to do. Last year we hiked into redfern... This year we chose the sxs. In the end another hunter was traveling up the trail clearing from below what I had given up on clearing from above. My son and I hiked 1.5 km down the trail, met them coming up and then of course returned to our sxs and continued down. In addition, there were other parties dealing with exiting redfern from much deeper than I was who passed my stationary sxs as I hiked. I knew other parties had to be around dealing with the same issues. It was a long day reaching the truck around 10 pm.
Anyhow that's the story.

As for seeing game, I did call in a black bear, only for it to show up once I had given up and decided to take care of the morning constitutional. 15 yards apart the bear was safe as I held the TP.
A lot of melodrama for sure. Wives can be that way.
A question if you will.
Would a machete have been any use to you? I carry one on my quad at all times, along with a medium size axe, folding saw and a hatchet. I have a large atv box that stores lots except the kitchen sink.

Squamch
08-22-2019, 07:23 AM
Even better than a machete, is a fiskars brush axe. They're ideal for alder clearing.

08-22-2019, 07:49 AM
Champs, thanks for the story.
Drama? lol this is HBC you know!

Glad your ok, don't be hard on your wife for using "urgent".... this is a forum, people flash off at anything and move on to the next. Chalk that up to another adventure in the outback!

Wild one
08-22-2019, 08:19 AM
Wives always overreact mine included :lol:

Good to hear all worked out and now you have a new campfire story

tyreguy
08-22-2019, 08:20 AM
You would have to understand the magnitude of the broken branches and trees in a situation like this. Others will see it when they visit later in the fall.
Machete works ok for a few branches, but not reasonable for 100’s.

A lot of melodrama for sure. Wives can be that way.
A question if you will.
Would a machete have been any use to you? I carry one on my quad at all times, along with a medium size axe, folding saw and a hatchet. I have a large atv box that stores lots except the kitchen sink.

albravo2
08-22-2019, 08:44 AM
Champs,

This thread has really bugged me since I first read it, not because your wife did anything wrong but because there was a lot more armchair quarterbacking and sh*tposting than actual help from the hunting community.

I think your wife played her hand pretty well. It is arguable whether 'urgent help' was a good choice of words but everything else was well done:
- she reached out to the hunting community to see if any help was nearby. I get good cell reception where I camp to access Redfern so I think there was a pretty fair chance someone in a position to help would have received the message.
- when people started responding with 'Call SAR' she kept a cool head and communicated with you to determine whether or not that was necessary and she made the right call by not calling in the calvary.
- when morons on here started saying stupid things about your level of preparation she didn't engage. My wife would have ended up in jail.

I think your wife deserves some flowers and a nice dinner.

I know the area pretty well and know what a summer snowstorm can do. I think you and your son handled the situation as well as you could have. Bushcraft isn't about always having the right tools and gear, it is about making the best of what you have.

Spy
08-22-2019, 08:56 AM
Champs,

This thread has really bugged me since I first read it, not because your wife did anything wrong but because there was a lot more armchair quarterbacking and sh*tposting than actual help from the hunting community.

I think your wife played her hand pretty well. It is arguable whether 'urgent help' was a good choice of words but everything else was well done:
- she reached out to the hunting community to see if any help was nearby. I get good cell reception where I camp to access Redfern so I think there was a pretty fair chance someone in a position to help would have received the message.
- when people started responding with 'Call SAR' she kept a cool head and communicated with you to determine whether or not that was necessary and she made the right call by not calling in the calvary.
- when morons on here started saying stupid things about your level of preparation she didn't engage. My wife would have ended up in jail.

I know the area pretty well and know what a summer snowstorm can do. I think you and your son handled the situation as well as you could have. Bushcraft isn't about always having the right tools and gear, it is about making the best of what you have.
Well said buddy, thanks for posting what a lot of us are thinking..

Downwindtracker2
08-22-2019, 09:04 AM
We should spin off a thread on trail clearing.

wideopenthrottle
08-22-2019, 09:21 AM
We should spin off a thread on trail clearing.

were you like me thinking how snarled wet/snowy alders and a machete are a bad combo....heheheheh

08-22-2019, 10:04 AM
Champs,

I think you are 100% correct on all points.
Me being one of the "Call in the cavalry" .. I did so based off the word urgent. She did have communication, and she did handle it correct.. but to me "Urgent" meant something in that communication asked for it.
me being a coastal guy Timeline deviation is an "Act now" thing.

just this month my dad and his friend were fishing Nootka. The one guy accidently gave the wrong day they would be back.. ( old guys had just messed up )
These 2 guys are not new to fishing... when they were late we got worried. After a few hours we called the RCMP to check the lot where the truck parks.... it was there.
We then got in touch with the coast guard... it turns out, there was an Emergency the coast guard was dealing with and dads friend who is a retired Dr was Assisting on..
They were "Found" and dads friend got a strip torn off him by his wife for giving the wrong day......

Moral is..... Guys like Albrovo who have experience in an area are better equipped to answer a call like this. And in this case it was correct.
And it explains the variation in responses...

Jagermeister
08-22-2019, 12:15 PM
were you like me thinking how snarled wet/snowy alders and a machete are a bad combo....hehehehehI've been there and I have done that. It doesn't matter what the tool you're using, you're going to get wet. Of course you'd know that if you got out of the armchair, right?

wideopenthrottle
08-22-2019, 12:26 PM
I've been there and I have done that. It doesn't matter what the tool you're using, you're going to get wet. Of course you'd know that if you got out of the armchair, right?

im talking about the risks of swinging a machete at tough vegetation when you are tired and wet...something you profess to know about ...as do I.... but some others might not....when you get out of your armchair do you prefer a machete or a brush axe?

GEF
08-22-2019, 12:43 PM
I would think twice about asking for help on this site with all the judgmental arm chair idiots scolding me for seeking help .All i can say is i am total disappointed with the bickering, scolding and hollier than thou comments .
Is this what we are all about ?Come on !

Norwestalta
08-22-2019, 12:55 PM
I've been there and I have done that. It doesn't matter what the tool you're using, you're going to get wet. Of course you'd know that if you got out of the armchair, right?

D6 4 blades wide. Perfect tool.

moosinaround
08-22-2019, 01:06 PM
Now your talkin my lingo! We have a road that goes around the mill. We call it the back forty. It has our resident population of cow elk and doe/fawn mulies. I regularily keep the road open with my 980K, so I can visit the ladies!! moosin

tyreguy
08-22-2019, 01:22 PM
It used to be just Jizzmine that used to be the resident knob, seems times have changed and have multiplied
I would think twice about asking for help on this site with all the judgmental arm chair idiots scolding me for seeking help .All i can say is i am total disappointed with the bickering, scolding and hollier than thou comments .

tyreguy
08-22-2019, 01:23 PM
and to clarify, I’m in total agreement with your post.

walks with deer
08-22-2019, 01:52 PM
i have asked for help on hbc when travelling...i had help in 20 mins...funniest part os i was near the redfern.

IronNoggin
08-22-2019, 01:54 PM
and to clarify, I’m in total agreement with your post.

Times Ten!! https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Pozitive.gif https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Pozitive.gif

Cheers,
Nog

Jagermeister
08-22-2019, 04:04 PM
I don’t think the Ministry would approve that size of blade. Have I ever used a fiskars brush axe? No. The machete I have is 20” overall, blade is 15”x3” at the widest and narrows down to just under 2” at the handle. Weighs 1 lb. 3 oz with most of the weight in the blade. Not very tiring tiring at all.

Muledeercrazy2
08-22-2019, 04:29 PM
The lesson to learn from this is that there could have been a lot more focus on how the hunting community in BC could have helped. I'm not sure how, maybe

contact info for the GO
Someone enroute to area who could drop off fuel
Locals who might be able to help
Etc

Besides the suggestion to call SAR, which is appropriate in an emergency, there was lots of uncolicitated advice and not a lot of useful help.

Norwestalta
08-22-2019, 06:16 PM
Now your talkin my lingo! We have a road that goes around the mill. We call it the back forty. It has our resident population of cow elk and doe/fawn mulies. I regularily keep the road open with my 980K, so I can visit the ladies!! moosin

Lots of frost,, -20 and not much snow is the best recipe for doing such things. Much better then the ol 21" Hachette.

Opinionated Ol Phart
08-22-2019, 08:19 PM
This story brought back memories.. Got chased out of the Redfern area early Sept in the 80s. Early snowfall that suprised us when we got up one morning .Running two Big Reds chained up, pulling trailers and we damn near had to make camp on the way out because of fallen alders on one sidehill. The trailers carrying our camp and two moose kept trying to slide off the road--- we were down to a crawl at times. Got out to the road just at dusk..... wet cold hungry and in need of a drink. But we got our bulls, so it was all worth it!