PDA

View Full Version : Bringing meat, capes, skulls back to Canada from USA

264mag
08-18-2019, 10:10 AM
I am going on an elk hunt in New Mexico in Nov.

I have called border services and have gotten mixed information.

If all goes well I am hoping to return with deboned meat and a bleached (euro mount ) skull and antlers. If that’s not possible at least meat and a skull cap and antlers.

Can anyone she some light on what the actual regulations are for bringing these back to Canada. I will be driving.

thanks in advance

Chuck

BCHunterFSJ
08-18-2019, 10:35 AM
I had no problems bringing back a pronghorn from South Dakota.

264mag
08-18-2019, 10:45 AM
Did you have to bleach the skull beforehand?

dracb
08-22-2019, 04:22 PM
I am going on an elk hunt in New Mexico in Nov.

I have called border services and have gotten mixed information.

If all goes well I am hoping to return with deboned meat and a bleached (euro mount ) skull and antlers. If that’s not possible at least meat and a skull cap and antlers.

Can anyone she some light on what the actual regulations are for bringing these back to Canada. I will be driving.

thanks in advance

Chuck

The synopsis states: "do not return with
intact carcasses or tissues able to carry
CWD prions to B.C. Make sure to process
carcasses and leave high risk tissues behind
(brain, spinal cord, lymph nodes and organs)
where you harvested."

Checking in the Ministrywith the guy who deals with imports and exports of animals and parts of animals adds the following with regards to the skull: You must be diligent to REMOVE ALL SOFT TISSUE from the inside and outside of the skull. It must be thoroughly cleaned and then boiled and then bleached. It can be done by the hunter but perfection in cleaning it of infectious tissue is the objective.

BCHunterFSJ
08-23-2019, 11:46 AM
Did you have to bleach the skull beforehand?

I have no idea... Nobody even asked to see the animal!
Mind you that was in 2011... Guess things are different now!

David Heitsman
09-05-2019, 03:29 PM
Take a coat hanger and fully plunge the cranium of any brain matter. Stop at US Fish and Wildlife on the US side, fill out and have them sign your export documents, show these to Canada Customs along with your US hunting license and Canadian PAL and you should get waived through with minimal fuss. I was at the customs window in Coutts, Ab in fall of '17 with a skinned and quartered Wyoming bull and was through in less than 30 seconds. Having done this many times with deer, sheep and elk, most of the time I am waived through without leaving my vehicle. Occasionally an agent wants to inspect my firearms which can take 5 - 10 minutes.

srupp
09-05-2019, 03:36 PM
Thanks David...good information I needed.
Cheers
Steven

264mag
09-05-2019, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the information guys.