PDA

View Full Version : 2019 September Elk Hunting - Which Week?

jburgundy
08-15-2019, 03:43 PM
Hey HBC,

I got invited for the 2nd year to go Elk hunting in region 4 this September and I am wondering which week would most likely be most productive. The conventional choice would be to be out there on opening day, but thanks to the Corey Jacobsen article: https://www.elk101.com/2019/01/which-week-for-hunting-elk-in-2019/ it appears the first week rifle season leading up to a full moon.

Last year I was up on opening day for a week and only had one bugle and never saw any bull elk - but it was hot and smokey.

So I am wondering what the seasoned elk hunters would do? Less pressure but worse moon phase or wait a couple of weeks until the new moon at the end of the month?

Thank you.

huntingfamily
08-15-2019, 05:40 PM
I personally see more bull activity the 3rd week of Sept and then again in mid-October.
YMMV

todbartell
08-15-2019, 05:57 PM
Whatever week you go, make sure you challenge every bull. Make them see red

j270wsm
08-15-2019, 06:51 PM
Which part of region 4? Almost no fires and lots of rain this summer. Could be a good yr for antler growth but elk numbers are still way down so expect to put in some miles, lots of calling and glassing.

ianwuzhere
08-15-2019, 08:07 PM
i always smile when i hear about people planning holidays around what a moon is doing hehe.. What if its cloudy at night time- does that mean the moon is non existant? lol

blackbart
08-15-2019, 09:08 PM
Go, enjoy, put in effort repeat on the effort. Any week or day is as good as the next one in September.

todbartell
08-16-2019, 09:29 AM
Go, enjoy, put in effort repeat on the effort. Any week or day is as good as the next one in September.

not true, you'll have a higher chance of success in the first half of September before the cows come into estrous. Once they do, the odds of pulling a bull away from them will much less.

huntingfamily
08-16-2019, 09:35 AM
not true, you'll have a higher chance of success in the first half of September before the cows come into estrous. Once they do, the odds of pulling a bull away from them will much less.

You're talking about herd bulls. The satellite bulls that are trying to get in on the action will come in.

Ajsawden
08-16-2019, 09:39 AM
i always smile when i hear about people planning holidays around what a moon is doing hehe.. What if its cloudy at night time- does that mean the moon is non existant? lol
Obviously it means the moon is gone!! If you can't see it, it isn't there...
I find fishing is always more screwed up by the moon than hunting. If the bulls are not rutting full time, they still gotta eat, drink and sleep. If the bulls are rutting and attached to cows, the cows still have to eat, drink and sleep.

Throwaway
08-16-2019, 10:50 AM
If you could only get it on once a year would the moon have any effect on you?

rocksteady
08-16-2019, 12:30 PM
If you could only get it on once a year would the moon have any effect on you?

Um hum.. you got that right.. regardless of moon, weather, wind, rain or snow the hump urge is greater

Once a year would make me happy!!

Ferenc
08-16-2019, 01:30 PM
Weather / Huntin pressure / location are all the things I would look at including prescouting before I’d be planning which week .... ideally as said ,if you can have at er for the month of Sept .. do it ... hot weather shuts them down vocally pretty good .... cool weather ... frosty mornings .... bugles through out the night...help ... never play the moon ...

rocksteady
08-16-2019, 01:35 PM
I dont think hunting pressure affects them, as long as you are cow calling.. cows=getting some

rocksteady
08-16-2019, 01:39 PM
Just cause they are not being vocal does not mean they are not blinded by getting laid.. i have had big bulls sneek in without a peep to cow calls.. just to see if there is a sleezy lady in the herd

rocksteady
08-16-2019, 01:44 PM
Not every hunt is about screeming bulls coming to calls on a leash.. its the ultimate, but sometimes pussy footing around the still woods is just as productive

Bugle M In
08-16-2019, 02:34 PM
Not every hunt is about screeming bulls coming to calls on a leash.. its the ultimate, but sometimes pussy footing around the still woods is just as productive

Yup, well said.
Some years they bugled more and cam in or sometimes they bugles a lot and you had to go after them.
Sometimes they don't bugle and come in.

To OP, above is all tactics.
I know some were saying to me in the past that going during the opening bow season was best. while other say late September or early oct.
Depends where I think.

When elk #'s were "way" better, I think any of the weeks would be fine, and like some said, a bull in search of cows before he has them rounded up is
easier to hunt, imo.
Once they have cows, harder.
As for Satellites, I agree, even if a herd bull wont come out, they will.
Problem is, they aint many of them around right now!
That's why the early bow was becoming popular (just ask the local butchers in the area when was best!!)

I have hunted new moon, only to have elk go by us at 10pm thru our camp.
Basically just as nocturnal as full moon.
I have taken a bull close to full moon because he was out and about on the river feeding with his cows a little too long one morning.

And then we had fires to contend with and backroad closures.
Cant predict the snow, but give the first big "Cold snap" anytime over "which week"!

I have given up trying to predict when is best especially with low numbers.
I will avoid the full moon because I just can this year and will try later hoping snow has hit the high country.
Nothing gets elk moving out like some snow.
But there is a big lack of them, in some areas more than others, but in general, pops aren't good right now at all.

jburgundy
08-16-2019, 09:51 PM
Thank you very much for everyone who replied to the thread and those who sent PMs!

dbergen69
08-16-2019, 10:05 PM
I find the 7 to 10 days before the fall equinox the best. Basically about Sept 10 or so to the 21 to 23. The peak of cow estrus should be close to the equinox.

Jagermeister
08-17-2019, 01:31 AM
Here’s the tip.
You’re just about to hit the sack and are stepping out for a whiz. Forget leaking onto the ground and instead pee into the plastic container with a cap that you brought along for that sole purpose.
Now, assuming that you haven’t pissed on your fingers, bring out your hoochie momma cow elk call a give a couple of chirps. Go to sleep and when you awake, quietly arise and be ready to shoot that bull elk as you stick your head out.

Islandeer
08-17-2019, 06:21 AM
Here’s the tip.
You’re just about to hit the sack and are stepping out for a whiz. Forget leaking onto the ground and instead pee into the plastic container with a cap that you brought along for that sole purpose.
Now, assuming that you haven’t pissed on your fingers, bring out your hoochie momma cow elk call a give a couple of chirps. Go to sleep and when you awake, quietly arise and be ready to shoot that bull elk as you stick your head out.
This tip, very savvy, working it while you try to sleep.....

Bugle M In
08-17-2019, 08:08 AM
Here’s the tip.

Yup, there is some truth in there.
Have had elk right close to camp several times now after a late night bugle or cow calling.
If you are up getting ready for the morning hunt, and you are up a couple hours before first light to prepare for your day, always worth giving a few calls!
Issue is trying to make sure the rest of your party stays quiet from that point on when moving about.

Also, after hiking into an area where you want to start your hunt from, give a few chirps, and they stay really quiet for 15 minutes.
There were times we put the bikes on the tree to get our gear out and backpacks on, but stayed quiet etc.
Would look up, not even 3 or 4 minutes and there a bull looking right at us.
Happened more than you think.
Right at first light!

LBM
08-17-2019, 08:23 AM
Interesting so many on here talk about bears etc coming into there ungulate calls but now there recommending calling at night from inside there tents.

canucks6
08-17-2019, 08:36 AM
Everything seems early this year. Shades hatched early, berries were ripe down low early and the trail cams show the velvet coming off already. Just my 2 bits.

Bugle M In
08-17-2019, 09:07 AM
^^^^^probably a good balance between sun and rain this year (so far) to keep things green and ripe etc.
Very different then the past few years.
Hopefully we have a proper fall with some frost in there rather than 30+ during the days (keeping fingers crossed)

One member did share with me privately some of his trail cam photos.
So far seeing most cows with a calf etc.
Again, hoping they make it thru the year, but have heard several times where cows have calves late august and somewhere in September have gone missing.
Likely culprit is wolves.

RackStar
08-17-2019, 09:25 AM
This thread makes me antsy..
2 more weeks gentlemen!
39 straight days of elk hunting coming up...

todbartell
08-17-2019, 10:19 AM
39 straight days of elk hunting coming up...

https://media.giphy.com/media/9udHO801PzozK/giphy.gif

Jrax
08-17-2019, 10:43 AM
Favorite dates are sept 10 to 22 for bull action regardless of moon phase and weather for region 7B. I would maybe change dates if its going to be stinking hot or heavy rain for days on end but so far I have just gone on the planned dates. Love when it gets cold or snows mid September and the elk get all crazy.

alpinetreker
08-25-2019, 04:54 PM
I would agree with Jrax��

jac
08-25-2019, 08:17 PM
Pretty sure the elk rut is brought on by light I think the fall equinox is the best time to plan a trip. That being said I have chased screaming bulls on sept 1st and oct 19th so go when u can.

Bugle M In
08-25-2019, 08:43 PM
Pretty sure the elk rut is brought on by light I think the fall equinox is the best time to plan a trip. That being said I have chased screaming bulls on sept 1st and oct 19th so go when u can.

About 10 years ago someone handed me some articles to read.
I get that people talk about the fall equinox etc being the "kick off".
However, this article stated that there are 4 cycles, the first rut actually kicks off the last week of August or so.
If you think about it, if you head to the parks like Jasper etc right now, you usually see evidence of that.
Speak to loggers and many say they hear the elk bugling right about now.

So, if there are 4 cycles, then it makes sense that the 2nd one happens around the 3rd week of September.
And then obviously, again in October.
As for November, I have no idea, but some here have stated they have seen it happening in November.

Now, I have had a lot of success either just before a heavy thunder shower, and sometimes right after, either 12 hours before or 12 hours post.
Just not fun hunting in downpours and being socked in and unable to glass around.
Heat just makes the majority of the day slow, usually, and early am or late evening are still good times, but I have seen elk hunker down in timber for days
during a heat spell and literally sit in there! until things cool off and have seen them up to 6 days in a small spot, hardly moving at all.

Seth
08-25-2019, 10:05 PM
Whatever week you go, make sure you challenge every bull. Make them see red
I second this. Looking back, I would have shot more bulls by aggressively going in (timber) after them. To awnser the op’s question, I’ve only ever hunted region 4 elk opening week or the last week of season. We’ve shot elk during both time periods but generally speaking we’ve seen more bulls opening week. The area we’ve hunted more often does not have bulls bugling opening week, at least not during shooting light. While hunting an adjacent m.u. opening week, bulls were screaming regularly and I think this depends on hunting pressure.

Bugle M In
08-26-2019, 02:02 PM
Yes, I should have added the loggers stated that there was some active elk bugling etc in the later part of August, but come September, by the 10th,
they had stopped being vocal on their own.

TodBartell has some great advice, to go in after them.
I will give them sometime to see if they come in on their own.
I have had times where I was "too aggressive" and ended up getting in "way to close"!
(I knew they were in there, but between their calls it is hard to know where exactly they are, and have stepped "right on them", which gives you no time
to count points).
But if the calls get further away, you are probably dealing with a bull with cows, and you need to get in there and switch to cow calls only.

I have watched first hand a bull with a group of cows feeding in the open of a steep hilled cut block, then in the distance you can hear a hunter coming towards
that same area.
The bull and cows round up in a circle, move to the edge of the timber, and the hunter never ever knew there were any elk there.
Hunter probably thought there were no elk to be found in that area, as they didn't come back the next day.

Glassing for elk before calling is always best, imo.
Then you can call.
Elk will respond however in the dark, just before first light quite often and feel safe I suppose doing so.

J_T
08-26-2019, 02:21 PM
My rule of thumb, when I get a response is to go quickly and cut the distance between us in half. Don't worry about making noise. Get in there.

As to the OP question, my most targeted hunt is the Sept 1 - 9 BOS. Never a problem locating bulls or having fun. The bush has less traffic (ORVs) and the elk patterns are more natural. But the absolute best time to hunt is in the peak of the rut. And that depends where you are, the coolness of the evening, rain, clear and the moon phase. But I don't worry too much about the moon phase. Only whether I need a flashlight or not.

HighCountryBC
08-26-2019, 09:27 PM
As soon as the velvet comes off bulls will start roaming. It's already happening, just as it does every other year.

Now, I have had a lot of success either just before a heavy thunder shower, and sometimes right after, either 12 hours before or 12 hours post.
Just not fun hunting in downpours and being socked in and unable to glass around.
Heat just makes the majority of the day slow, usually, and early am or late evening are still good times, but I have seen elk hunker down in timber for days
during a heat spell and literally sit in there! until things cool off and have seen them up to 6 days in a small spot, hardly moving at all.

You're talking specific occurrences. A full moon will absolutely affect how much daytime activity there is. That being said, even in the heat or after a busy evening elk are up for a midday stretch and, if there's a hot cow, bulls will be dogging her instantly.

But if the calls get further away, you are probably dealing with a bull with cows, and you need to get in there and switch to cow calls only.

Sorry Bugle but I completely disagree with this. Bulls respond with fight or flight. If it's easier to just push the cows and avoid a fight he will do that. If he has a harem and you get in tight, challenging him will set him off and he will come looking to defend. I rarely spend much time cow calling unless I am covering miles on a slow day.

Bugle M In
08-26-2019, 11:00 PM
As soon as the velvet comes off bulls will start roaming. It's already happening, just as it does every other year.

You're talking specific occurrences. A full moon will absolutely affect how much daytime activity there is. That being said, even in the heat or after a busy evening elk are up for a midday stretch and, if there's a hot cow, bulls will be dogging her instantly.

Sorry Bugle but I completely disagree with this. Bulls respond with fight or flight. If it's easier to just push the cows and avoid a fight he will do that. If he has a harem and you get in tight, challenging him will set him off and he will come looking to defend. I rarely spend much time cow calling unless I am covering miles on a slow day.

Don't have to be "sorry", even I know this.
You would have to go back into other threads where I have talked about being damn near run over by elk, and if a bull has a harem, sometimes the only way
you can get him to come, IS, to get in "Real Close"!, just be prepared because they can come in fast and yet be extremely quiet at full tilt!

As for full moon, it's not my favorite choice.
If you look at moon charts, generally speaking, the full moon comes up at night and quite often rises around the time shortly after sunset.
(granted, it changes by almost an hour each night)
A New Moon quite often rises and sets during "daylight hours".
So yes, there can be a difference.

That being said, I have taken elk at first light, with the full moon way up in the sky.
Basically they got "caught" feeding using the moonlight when the sun came up.
I find more often, they don't like coming out til way after dark during full moon, again, imo.

As for cows dodging bulls when they get up from an afternoon stretch, absolutely it happens.
But, if it is really hot, and they are in "thick timber with shade" (and generally with a fast flowing creek near by acting as natural air conditioning), most of
us are "never going to see that action"
Sort of why most of us, generally like a frosty morning, cool and even wet day, as they have no need to rest in timber.

As for roaming right now, yup.
Sometimes many think elk roam from the high country down to look during the rut.
Not necessarily.
Ever seen those big bulls along the big rivers all summer long??
They will leave low country and move upwards as well, to the high country, to find cows.

Anyways, the folks with bows the past several seasons have had the best opportunities/success up in the EK.