PDA

View Full Version : sad sight around squamish...

pointandshoot
09-26-2007, 06:37 PM
hey guys and gals...i had do something that i never hoped i'd have to do. my room mate and i went up to the squamish area in the back 40 to do a little scouting and shooting 22's. well we get out at our normal spot (which really isn't super far out of squamish so please don't get mad at me for shooting in the bush during a hunting season in prime territory). well when we get out of the car there is a whole bunch of ravens making a whole lot of noise in the trees...thinking wtf we get out and check it out. well sure enouf there is an animal that had been killed, skinned, and quartered just off the side of the road (it looked like it had been there for the week by the smell and flies). WTF! was too big to be a deer, so i'm not sure if it was an elk or moose. well time to call the co's and let them know what was going on. so i made a report and let them know where it was, but the really sad part is that the person or people that did it will probably never be caught and they will probably be out "hunting" next weekend. pretty sad since this is my first year hunting...will try to post pics later if anyone is interested.

Steeleco
09-26-2007, 06:42 PM
Don't let these jerks spoil your hunting beginnings, you did the right thing in reporting it. The A-holes that did this aren't hunters, just remember that!!!

HighCountry
Please post some picture.

moose hunter
pics im sure someonen on here can tell you elk or moose

JoshLedoux
09-26-2007, 07:14 PM
I understand that the road isn't the greatest place to skin an animal and not very pc. Im just sort of missing what the illegal part is here. P.S. I haven't looked in the regs to see what is open up there nor do I know what area you're in

tooty
09-26-2007, 07:25 PM
I'm a friend of Chris Doyle,one of the COs in Squamish.He would love to hear from you on this matter.I would think that's it's an elk.I havn't heard of moose in Squamish.We do have elk that we relocated from the Sunshine Coast to the Elaho valley.There is no season for elk in Squamish.

dana
09-26-2007, 07:26 PM
If the animal was legal to hunt then to skin and quarter the animal and take all edible portions is totally legal as well. Don't forget that some in this country actually have special rights and can hunt animals that might not be open to the general public as well. ;)

tooty
09-26-2007, 07:34 PM
I'm sure there is no elk permits for native hunts there,but there are 4 I think for the Sunshine Coast,but don't quote me on that fiqure.

lapadat
09-26-2007, 07:50 PM
There is a small population of Moose in the Elaho River valley ......no hunting season.

dana
09-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Ever think that a hunter from that area could have maybe went somewhere else in the province to hunt???? What do you do with the remains of the carcus after you cut up your own meat? Do you throw it in the dumpster, or do you throw it out for the coyotes? Hmmm, before you jump to wrong doing, maybe you need to think some things through eh? ;)

BlacktailStalker
09-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Are you sure it wasnt just a carcass somebody dumped ?
I know some guys put game in the back and do it at home.. (yes even moose, we got an immature moose in the back of my truck last year)
Either way, cant hurt to call it in though.

jettabambino
09-26-2007, 08:39 PM
lets see the pics... i am interested in what it was now.... not good though.. cant understand why someone would leave it behind

pointandshoot
09-26-2007, 08:45 PM
tooty i would love to talk to you co friend just give me a number or an e-mail where he can be reached (i tried to give a description where we were...but it was hard because i didn't have a map with us). ok, sorry for the crappy description here guys because there seems to be a bit of confusion. what i'm saying is that someone killed and cleaned a kill back in the bush. my guess is that the meat got spoiled in the heat then they dumped the perfectly good meat closer to squamish. where i found the animal there was no gut pile, hide, or head. i'm a hunter not a peta activist. i'm all for killing an animal for food...and even if you want to skin and gut an animal at the side of the road. but it was all good sections that were dumped. i'll try to post a few pics...

pointandshoot
09-26-2007, 08:49 PM
blacktailstalker, i'm sure it was all meat. my first job was at a butcher shop. you could clearly see the meat. the rope was still threw the hind section that they used to drag it out with. guys...trust me, there is no mistaking this for anything else but something that got dumped on the way out...

Shooter
09-26-2007, 09:00 PM
My guess is exactly what you said. Probly the meat got spoiled in the heat and they discarded it. Its really a shame to see a good animal wasted like that.

quadrakid
09-26-2007, 09:28 PM
you might not want to make a habit of approaching killsites in bear country armed with a .22, personally if i think there is a dead critter close by i get my sorry ass outta there no matter what i,m packing.

jettabambino
09-26-2007, 09:35 PM
you might not want to make a habit of approaching killsites in bear country armed with a .22, personally if i think there is a dead critter close by i get my sorry ass outta there no matter what i,m packing.

good point... :?

pointandshoot
09-26-2007, 09:41 PM
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd58/pointandshoot_1/IMG_0174.jpg
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd58/pointandshoot_1/IMG_0173.jpg
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd58/pointandshoot_1/IMG_0172.jpg

pointandshoot
09-26-2007, 09:44 PM
we had my 303 with us also....but i hear what your saying

Derek_Erickson
09-26-2007, 09:45 PM
Quite possibly a beef that had gone bad, or they're baiting bears, oither than that I dont know

jettabambino
09-26-2007, 09:46 PM
i think it might be a moose... none the less... its a sad sight... not sure why people do this crap

JoshLedoux
09-26-2007, 10:09 PM
Now the story's a little clearer. certainly seems odd. Any possibility of it being a bear?

WoodOx
09-26-2007, 10:50 PM
If the animal was legal to hunt then to skin and quarter the animal and take all edible portions is totally legal as well. Don't forget that some in this country actually have special rights and can hunt animals that might not be open to the general public as well. ;)

second that. got to be careful of reverse discrimination

Derek_Erickson
09-27-2007, 05:15 AM
look how big the rib cage is!!

butcher
09-27-2007, 08:32 AM
Looks like a post-butchered moose to me. It has been split along the spine by a saw for sure and in the one photo it looks like there is a bullet wound in the feather bones above the spine. (right where a moose's hump would be). That plus all the rags makes me think that someone home butchered a moose, didn't bone out the ribs and chucked everything in the bush afterwards. Happens every day.

You should see the pile of bait I have going after hunting season.

Mr. Dean
09-27-2007, 10:07 AM
You should see the pile of bait I have going after hunting season.

Ditto. The back 40 get's LOTS of composting materials. Not only mine, but friends also.

Wildfoot
09-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Did you lick it?

I would have licked it.

Mr. Dean
09-27-2007, 11:50 AM
pointandshoot;

I commend you one your actions. You saw something that raised questions in your mind. Instead of looking away and forgeting about it, you decided to act upon it.

GOOD FOR YOU!

At worse, you could be mistaken of what you saw. Not a big deal, at all.

I personaly can't figure out what's all in that pic. I think I see a fairly large hunk of meat (shoulder????) in the upper right of shot 1. But can't tell for sure...

Either way, let us know how it turns out - Thanks.

Byson
09-27-2007, 03:44 PM
we have 3 diffrent herds of elk here one herd lives around 20mile the other is at 25mile I seen these Elk lots when i was logging there this summer the other herd of Elk is in the Indian Arm, we also have lots of Moose around 54mile on the west side of the upper Squamish. The land is Squamish Nations knoe Interfor gave up Some of the rights to the Natives and the Natives bought the rest off of Interfor, but im pretty sure the Indians only have the Rights to the Timber and the land is still crownland which mile were you at i know Squamish so Well born and Rasied

rollingrock
09-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Byson you shouldn't have disclosed the spots here. I'm assuming you know Don Baker?

Byson
09-27-2007, 05:19 PM
yes i know Don Baker My Father Company Hauls Logs for him, Do you guys want to know where all the Deer are at too LOL

rollingrock
09-27-2007, 06:39 PM
yes i know Don Baker My Father Company Hauls Logs for him, Do you guys want to know where all the Deer are at too LOL

Hey you can fork your secret spots over to my pm..:-PDon's land has some good deer to.

lakelander
09-27-2007, 09:35 PM
could it have been a wolf kill or something..

pork n beans
09-28-2007, 12:39 AM
it's moose ribs. someone is just getting rid of the scraps after butchering by the looks of things. i dump bones and shit all the time.

mrdoog
09-28-2007, 12:46 AM
I think it's moose scraps.
I can't comprehend why the ribcage was dumped?
Yummmy, moose ribs.
Such a waste.