PDA

View Full Version : Grouse hunting

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-26-2007, 05:00 PM
I was wondering how most of you guys go grouse hunting,do you just shoot them on the logging roads while hunting other game or do you find some good grouse area and go for a walk and shoot them on the fly after you flush them out.The reason I ask is because I used to just shoot them with a 22 while they sat stupidly on the road,but this year I bought a new single shot 20 gauge and have gone for a few walks to target grouse ,it has been very exciting when you flush them out and to hit one in full flight is not very easy.I was also wondering if any guys hunt grouse with there dogs and how their experiences ahve been.So if you want a little midday excitement go for a walk and bring a shotgun you never know how much fun it can be.:-D

Will
09-26-2007, 05:06 PM
I take em when it suits me........roadsides etc.
I do know a few folks that won't shoot them on the ground...not sporting:|

I take em where I find em...ground air whatever. Do on occasion go for walks on a few Grouse trails I know...it is some good fun.
Yes the 20 gauge is a Sweet little grouse Getter:smile:

Mtn Wonderer
09-26-2007, 05:42 PM
I Prefer To Take Em In Flight,i Have A Gsp For Kicking Them Up And Then Picking Them Up. And 2 Boys That Eat Em Up!!! That Doesn't Mean I Haven't Potted Them On The Road Though.

Gasline Right Of Ways Are Great For Taking Ruffies In Flight Two Guys Walk The Edges And A Dog Roaming Around In Between Can Be Pretty Productive At Times.

I Have To Turn Myself Off Big Game, When I Hunt Birds. Besides It's More Fun. You Get To Shoot More Than One And There Not Too Heavy Carry Back To The Truck In One Piece.

Mw

moosinaround
09-26-2007, 06:39 PM
I love going for a cruise on the atv in the afternoon just to look for grouse. I use the 22, or the 177cal pellet gun. Lots of fun and lots of shooting. Moosin

todbartell
09-26-2007, 07:04 PM
usually just opportunity targets when going around from spot to spot, but sometimes I do take a wander with the 22 just for them specifically. I'd like to do the same with a nice O/U or S/S 20 ga :) but I dont got that one yet

BCLongshot
09-26-2007, 07:21 PM
I bring my .22 now and have smoked a few to the head. We had some on the barby and they are damn good. Slingshot too. With marbles.

martyonthewater
09-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Why does everyone talk of single shot 20's? is it a weight thing? I

martyonthewater
09-26-2007, 08:07 PM
I think road chicken is great but nothin beats a stroll in the bush

Will
09-26-2007, 08:09 PM
Why does everyone talk of single shot 20's? is it a weight thing? I
Mine is a Takedown Pump action Winchester 1912 ;-)
It's very light too:cool:

09-26-2007, 08:52 PM
l grouse hunt where ever and when ever l find them. Have a savage combo 30/30-20gauge which is a great truck gun. Happiness is shooting a white tail and grouse with the same rifle in the same day! :)

Bpower
09-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Hello to all, I've been reading alot of these threads and it seems like there are a lot of real decent people on here.

Could anyone tell me where a good place to hunt grouse would be that is relativly close to the Lower Mainland? I was thinking Harrison area or Boston Bar area. What about squamish area logging roads.

Do they taste different depending on the time of year?

Sasquatch
09-26-2007, 09:33 PM
I take them on the wing, more because I like to watch the dog work than anything else. It's exciting as hell watching him get birdy and then trying to pick off the grouse after they flush.

This is only his second season and he's not rock solid on point, plus I'll never claim to be the worlds greatest shot, but we have a blast together and even bring home a few birds now and then.

No matter how you hunt grouse, they sure are a lot fun.

browningboy
09-26-2007, 09:37 PM
We use spitballs to give them a chance!:shock:

308BAR
09-27-2007, 08:30 AM
Hello to all, I've been reading alot of these threads and it seems like there are a lot of real decent people on here.

Could anyone tell me where a good place to hunt grouse would be that is relativly close to the Lower Mainland? I was thinking Harrison area or Boston Bar area. What about squamish area logging roads.

Do they taste different depending on the time of year?

They taste the same every year because they only open the season in the fall. :mrgreen:

Chuck
09-27-2007, 09:56 AM
Sounds like there's different techniques, depending where you live.
Our method was to wander the cow trails and old logging roads.
The brush was tight and before the leaf drop, they were hard to spot.
Our dog would hunt ahead of us and flush the birds he found up into the trees and when he put some up would remain there and bark till we caught up to him, the barking helped us locate him as well as kept the bird from flying off again (mezmerized?). We would then try find the bird(s) and pop them out of the tree with the .410 (head shot). Wing shooting was almost a never. The dog was essential for finding them. I have noticed lately, birds tend to not perch, but fly off for parts unknown when the dog flushes them. I wonder if this is a newly learned tactic for survival or what? I've seen Goshawks fly along logging roads in the evening, swiftly about four feet off the ground and nail grouse feeding and sitting at the edges. All good fun and eating too!

Wildfoot
09-27-2007, 11:41 AM
i like to find a quiet deactivated forest road and walk along it and shoot grouseys on the ground. I have tried doing some shooting when they are in the air, but the chances of losing meat to pellets is much higher when you flush them.

I prefer to find spots along the road that I know hold grouse (usually where a food source is, or some shady overgrown patch). and quietly stalk in and shoot them from close range with a 12ga or 410.

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-30-2007, 08:45 AM
Hey Rick
I took my four year old daughter out yesterday and we had a blast,we managed to get a couple and about three eluded us.Evertime few minutes Angelina would say Daddy theres another one but it would turn out to be a rock.Anyways a great bonding time and when my wife finds out how much junk food we ate she going to shoot me.:-Phttp://www.lan-lord.net/upload/pics/20070930103609IMG_0462.JPG

thatskindafunny
09-30-2007, 08:49 AM
Mine is a Takedown Pump action Winchester 1912 ;-)
It's very light too:cool:
Mine is a 20 gauge Winchester 1912. Very old but very nice.

Woodrow
09-30-2007, 08:53 AM
went out moose hunting yesterday with the old man and we got these chickens sittin in the trees, two differnt kinds of grouse, spruce and ruffed in the same group.http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x114/randyscott44/DSC00380.jpg

The Dawg
09-30-2007, 08:54 AM
I have never got one any other place than a road....seem to be very easily spooked this year too...I use a Remington 20g pump, or my Baikal 410

mapguy
09-30-2007, 08:57 AM
the thing about a single shot 22 is that it was probably your first gun and it gives you lots of practice shooting grouse , plinkin

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-30-2007, 09:09 AM
went out moose hunting yesterday with the old man and we got these chickens sittin in the trees, two differnt kinds of grouse, spruce and ruffed in the same group.http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x114/randyscott44/DSC00380.jpg
Very nice picture ,I want a dog like that.