PDA

View Full Version : Fishing on sheep hunt.

Huss
08-11-2019, 12:22 PM
What lures do guys use on the lakes up north?

walks with deer
08-11-2019, 12:25 PM
for grayling i used meps.

theoutdoorsman
08-11-2019, 12:48 PM
Silver panther martens with the single fly hook, cast masters/small crocs if there isn’t much drop off and you need to get it out there a ways.

Danny_29
08-11-2019, 01:08 PM
Same flies you'd use to catch whitefish will work for grayling fine. Czech nymphing works really well.

Downtown
08-11-2019, 02:13 PM
Same flies you'd use to catch whitefish will work for grayling fine. Czech nymphing works really well.

On a Sheep hunt, if one wishes to be successful one needs to be Focused. You hunt like a Wolf, no Scylining never in the open, never without cover.

How many Sheep have you or if you are a professional Guide harvested if your where concerned with Fishing ?

Cheers

whitlers
08-11-2019, 02:16 PM
On a Sheep hunt, if one wishes to be successful one needs to be Focused. You hunt like a Wolf, no Scylining never in the open, never without cover.

How many Sheep have you or if you are a professional Guide harvested if your where concerned with Fishing ?

Cheers

This guy doesn't like the idea of having fun while hunting..

Mudsey
08-11-2019, 03:06 PM
I've had good luck with Blue Fox for both rainbow and lake trout.

albravo2
08-11-2019, 03:28 PM
Grayling are the most aggressive fish I've fished for. I haven't found anything they don't hit but I was using a green wooly bugger last time I was up north and I was doing pretty well. I'm not an expert fisherman by any stretch but I did find that they seemed to be territorial-- they would hit whatever I threw in on the first of second cast but after I released them I'd have to walk a few paces down the river to get the next fish to think I was invading its territory.

blackbart
08-11-2019, 05:54 PM
Some days you are weathered out and it is kinda nice to fish. No northern fish that I have met is overly picky. Some fresh fish and bannock and beans at the lake is a nice change from freeze dried.

Had a great time once doing that on a re-stock night at the lake before heading off in a different direction for another week. The swim and change of underwear was good too. As was the case of beer!

Dude, it is a vacation do whatever floats your boat and makes you happy.

Cheers

Ron.C
08-11-2019, 06:31 PM
Havent sheep hunted, but have fished on some pretty remote backpack goat hunts. A fresh fish is a treat when you been living on dehydrated meals, not to mention the fun of fishing in areas where few do. And if you get an animal, nothing better then a mountain surf and turf dinner over a fire in the backcountry miles from any roads!!!

boxhitch
08-11-2019, 06:58 PM
CheersLets turn that around. How many hunts have you been on where you didn't have any time that a distraction like fishing fit in?

358mag
08-11-2019, 07:26 PM
Lets turn that around. How many hunts have you been on where you didn't have any time that a distraction like fishing fit in?
Most of them , as pre no lake or river-creek to fish in . Hard enuff just to find water to drink !

white moose
08-11-2019, 07:52 PM
black gnat with an adjusta bubble float

Huss
08-11-2019, 09:22 PM
I have been hunting sheep for 6 years. Not that it matters but I Have a stone and a goat we have only been skunked twice, but that’s hunting. This is a year where we are going for twice as long and just happen to have a lake with fish in it. Why do guys get butt hurt when someone else enjoys the outdoors differently? Thanks for the info guys as for the negative downers, please try to remember it’s an outdoor experience not a competition. I always enjoy my time however I spend it.

butcher
08-11-2019, 09:50 PM
Even if you only fish while waiting on the plane, worth taking a rod. Lots of different spoons work.

silvertipp
08-12-2019, 05:08 PM
Dam I've been on several sheep hunts and short of sheep ribs a fish is dam near to die for after eating mountain house for ten days or as I call it "dried noodles with chunky stuff"
take a few spoons for sure and enjoy

Bugle M In
08-13-2019, 12:19 AM
Dam I've been on several sheep hunts and short of sheep ribs a fish is dam near to die for after eating mountain house for ten days or as I call it "dried noodles with chunky stuff"
take a few spoons for sure and enjoy

I can barely down that stuff after the 2nd day.
So yes, I hear you^^^^^
To the OP, enjoy your trip and do it however you choose....good luck.

I'm thinking about taking the belly boat and fly road and hit a few lakes around Golden as I think I might have more fun with that then looking for elk around there!!!

Iron Sighted
08-13-2019, 05:27 PM
Grayling are the most aggressive fish I've fished for. I haven't found anything they don't hit but I was using a green wooly bugger last time I was up north and I was doing pretty well. I'm not an expert fisherman by any stretch but I did find that they seemed to be territorial-- they would hit whatever I threw in on the first of second cast but after I released them I'd have to walk a few paces down the river to get the next fish to think I was invading its territory.

Yes, pretty much this. I have found few flies they won't take, sure certain ones may better than others, but grayling are voracious and are not picky. I have caught a handful while swinging 4" streamers for bull trout.

northcoastfun
08-13-2019, 06:43 PM
I have a small ultra lite fishing kit with two rods two spinning reels and a small kit with spinners, flys ,split shot ect. If we go into a lake it’s in the plane. Sheep tenderloin and rainbow Has made some great memories around the fire ....

bcfirefly
08-14-2019, 07:50 AM
I leave in a week for a sheep hunt and my telescopic rod and reel are already packed! Just have a small spoon and a mepps for a lure. Hoping to break up the mtn house meals a bit or if lucky do some suft and turf!

butcher
08-14-2019, 08:00 AM
My 4 piece, 5 weight is packed.

mooseknuckler
08-14-2019, 10:10 AM
If at the lake, then I like a heavy spoon like a crocodile and light line to maximize casting distance.

butcher
08-14-2019, 11:42 AM
If at the lake, then I like a heavy spoon like a crocodile and light line to maximize casting distance.

I thought you vanderhoof boys just swam around and caught fish in your teeth.

JAGRMEISTER
08-15-2019, 08:40 AM
Many sheep and many fish, some with bare hands! You must be hunting the wrong
places!

saltybuck
08-15-2019, 11:33 AM
good ole yellow and red five of diamonds