PDA

View Full Version : Landing salmon on shore

dak0ta
08-11-2019, 08:24 AM
Hey guys, any tips on how to land a Pink salmon from shore? Had two on the line and got them within 2 feet of the bank but they got off. A bit frustrating.

JoeSixPack
08-11-2019, 08:27 AM
As soon as they get close just back up and pull them right up on the bank. Works for all fish species.

dakoda62
08-11-2019, 08:39 AM
Yep walk em back, don't use the rod tip.

Wild one
08-11-2019, 08:46 AM
Tail them or net them works too and better options for C&R. But if you are keeping them and have a strong leader you can beach them. If you are going to beach them turn their head towards you before you walk back it increases your odds over trying to over power a fish swimming away

elch jager
08-11-2019, 08:56 AM
Unless of course you are releasing the fish... then you don't want to be the Jerry and drag it through the rocks...

Tire the fish properly by exhausting the near-side flank. Rod should be horizontal, pointing downstream and parallel to the river, ideally fight your fish from a slightly downstream position so that it is fighting current and rod... once the one side is exhausted, the fish will not be able to resist and swim right to you at the shore.

Now... move your rod 180 degrees opposite your fighting position - upstream horizontal parallel to river... when the fish is directly upstream reduce pressure so that it drifts right to your feet...
Cradle, remove your barbless hook and quickly decide if you are keeping or releasing. You may need to adjust your position as you do this depending on what your fish is doing... but if you maintain your position relative to the fish as described above, it will become easier and eventually you will look like a real pro...

*note - does not work so well if you have foul hooked it in the dorsal or tail... then you should either break it off or have an assistant remove the hook and release while the fish is still in enough water that it isn't being damaged.

dak0ta
08-11-2019, 09:29 AM
Wow pro tips, thanks will try next outing. Question, I'm using a spinning rod, how should I set the drag when fish is on? And to reduce pressure once the fish is tired, is that via the drag or just tension in your arms holding the rod?

Unless of course you are releasing the fish... then you don't want to be the Jerry and drag it through the rocks...

Tire the fish properly by exhausting the near-side flank. Rod should be horizontal, pointing downstream and parallel to the river, ideally fight your fish from a slightly downstream position so that it is fighting current and rod... once the one side is exhausted, the fish will not be able to resist and swim right to you at the shore.

Now... move your rod 180 degrees opposite your fighting position - upstream horizontal parallel to river... when the fish is directly upstream reduce pressure so that it drifts right to your feet...
Cradle, remove your barbless hook and quickly decide if you are keeping or releasing. You may need to adjust your position as you do this depending on what your fish is doing... but if you maintain your position relative to the fish as described above, it will become easier and eventually you will look like a real pro...

*note - does not work so well if you have foul hooked it in the dorsal or tail... then you should either break it off or have an assistant remove the hook and release while the fish is still in enough water that it isn't being damaged.

bankshot
08-11-2019, 04:10 PM
Check out "Fishing with Rod" on YouTube, he's local and has several of videos posted on landing & releasing salmon.

REMINGTON JIM
08-11-2019, 04:31 PM
Hey guys, any tips on how to land a Pink salmon from shore? Had two on the line and got them within 2 feet of the bank but they got off. A bit frustrating.

Use Trible HOOKs like the FNs ! :mad: RJ

r106
08-11-2019, 05:35 PM
If your going to drag them up on the rocks you better be sure its a pink or something you can keep.

happyhunter
08-11-2019, 06:00 PM
If your going to drag them up on the rocks you better be sure its a pink or something you can keep.

The last time I fished the Vedder the pinks were closed to fishing. That didn’t stop guys from dragging them onshore and literally kicking them back to the water. The lack of respect for the fish/resource was disgusting

r106
08-11-2019, 06:28 PM
The last time I fished the Vedder the pinks were closed to fishing. That didn’t stop guys from dragging them onshore and literally kicking them back to the water. The lack of respect for the fish/resource was disgusting
I only specified pinks as i assumed the original poster was fishing them where its legal for retention. But yes it is disgusting watching these "outdoorsman " show little respect to wildlife. I admit i was once ignorant about it myself but one learns and grows up and others dont

Bugle M In
08-11-2019, 09:39 PM
Run backwards!!!
Don't try to reel it in to 2 ft either from shore.
Once you see its there in the shallows, haul ass!
And keep going for awhile, not just a foot or 2!
Watched many just slap their way back to the water and off they went because someone thought the fish being 3 or 4 ft on shore was good enough.