PDA

View Full Version : One time use food bag/pouch?

twoSevenO
08-09-2019, 08:48 AM
I hate mountain house, but I like the packaging. Is there such a thing where a guy can make a decent home made meal in a bag/pouch and throw it out instead of doing dishes later?

Water is often at a premium for me and I cant afford to be washing dishes with it. I'd rather eat, throw the bag away in my garbage bag and get on with my day.

I know some eat out of ziplock bags but pouring boiling water in one doesnt seem like a good idea.

corywilson13
08-09-2019, 09:03 AM
We recently made some chili and pasta dishes, dehydrated, vac-sealed and then took on a gear testing backpacking trip for a few days last week. We poured the boiling water into the vacuum seal pouch, folded over the top and clipped it closed with a bag clip to let it re-hydrate the same way a mountain house does. The home-made meals tasted way better than the mountain house meals.The two of use will be eating 100% homemade dinners for our sheep hunt which starts in 3 weeks. I did trial using a mug with a screw top on this trip - but i don't feel the added weight was worth the ability to save some food for later. GSI Fair Share Mug https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5050-849/Fair-Share-Mug-II. I have been storing all my dehydrated meals in the freezer, to keep them fresher.

twoSevenO
08-09-2019, 09:11 AM
Interesting idea. Those vacuum bags are definitely thicker than ziplock.

CheesyLimper
08-09-2019, 09:36 AM
I use ziploc and so far, no problems. The bag does seem flimsy when filled with boiling water, so my wife made me a little fleece bag to put the ziploc in. Also keeps heat in a little better.

Interesting idea. Those vacuum bags are definitely thicker than ziplock.

HighCountryBC
08-09-2019, 09:44 AM
X2 on the vacuum packaging bags.

warnniklz
08-09-2019, 09:45 AM
I use ziploc and so far, no problems. The bag does seem flimsy when filled with boiling water, so my wife made me a little fleece bag to put the ziploc in. Also keeps heat in a little better.

Bought a caselot of mountain house tins. Then packed them in zip lock as well. Packs way better than pouches.

CheesyLimper
08-09-2019, 10:17 AM
I make all my own dried food and I find certain ingredients can poke little holes in the vacuum bag during the vacuuming process. Could very well be due to my set up though.

X2 on the vacuum packaging bags.

Ron.C
08-09-2019, 11:15 AM
Cabelas sells vacuum seal bags that have a re-sealable "ziplock" style closure on one end. I use them when I make and freeze Jerky and pepperoni. Probably work pretty awesome for backpacking meals. They are pretty heavy and should handle hot water just fine. Ill empty the contents of a MH meal in one tonight and report back on how it works when water is added

twoSevenO
08-09-2019, 11:15 AM
I make all my own dried food and I find certain ingredients can poke little holes in the vacuum bag during the vacuuming process. Could very well be due to my set up though.

This discussion is about using the bag to eat out of .... a disposable bowl, if you will, not for vacuum packing.

champs
08-09-2019, 04:15 PM
I use Ziploc to carry separate meals, pour dry ingredients into an insulated cup... Pour water into cup. Bag done. Works great.

boxhitch
08-09-2019, 06:06 PM
Have used freezer bags with no troubles
For those or MH meals we made up holders out of that foil bubble wrap used for duct insulation , easy to set aside while glassing and keeps things hot.........or cold
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/null/0210eea5-a16b-476f-99ec-5cf5c05872bd

first saw the idea where a guide had tupperware type boxes and drink bottles wrapping in it, these stacked together in a neat kit to save space

digger dogger
08-09-2019, 06:14 PM
Zip Zag. Google it.

Way thicker than zip locks.

twoSevenO
08-09-2019, 10:41 PM
thanks for all the advice guys!

One of my favorite meals at the end of the day a big serving of mac and cheese with some pepperoni or salami cut up into it :) .... and i just hate doing dishes, even if i have my quad nearby and can carry more gear.

While mountain house doesn't give me stomach problems that stuff is just loaded in sodium and the taste is off putting half-way through. I basically have one, then i'm sick of it for a while after.

pg83
08-10-2019, 01:34 PM
I buy the tins as well and use zip locs. I always bring one MH bag for my first night's dinner and then put the zip locs inside it for extra stability when pouring boiling water and eating out of.

grantk
08-10-2019, 04:05 PM
Was just thinking about this the other day... I'd like to try mylar bags in the foodsaver, using scrap pieces of the dimpled side of regular vac bags to enable the machine to draw the air out:
http://adviceandbeans.com/2011/04/food-savers-and-mylar-bags/

Might be completely unnecessary, I think that the regular bags are probably safe to hold boiling water, as people regularly use them for sous vide.