PDA

View Full Version : Hunting alone in Grizzly country

bazza
08-08-2019, 10:55 PM
Does anyone hunt alone in Grizzly country? If so can we share some advice for novices and pros alike? Strategies & tactics to stay safe???? Protective gear etc?

Thanks

mpotzold
08-09-2019, 12:37 AM
My take on staying safe & best protection when in grizz country
-carry a rifle that's capable of penetrating the dense muscle, bone, fur, fat & beyond & be proficient with it. Use larger diameter bullets with a Sectional Density greater than 0.300
-if using a shotgun use non soft slugs such as Brenneke. The buckshot may or may not work depending how close the grizz is.
-carry a large knife along with a folding one.
-flag the kill area in a circle about 2 ft. high if you need to come back & make a lot of noise when coming back & checking for disturbed flagging
-if more than 1 hunter have one protect & be ready while the other field dresses
-if by yourself have the gun fully loaded & chambered within easy reach & continuously watch & listen to the surroundings

If charged
-aim for the body centre in a frontal charge.
-they can run at more than 45 fps so I would start shooting at around 30 yards+.

What to watch for
-watch for birds such as ravens & listen to rodents noise
-look for fresh droppings & tracks
-smelling something rotten turn around
-if tenting electric fence may help

Finally
NEVER LET YOUR GUARD DOWN WHEN IN GRIZZ COUNTRY.
I WOULD NEVER RELY ON BEAR SPRAY IN STOPPING A DETERMINED BEAR THAT WANTS YOU AS HIS NEXT MEAL.(Spray better than bullets is totally based on a bogus study supported by the anti gun, anti hunting groups that value bears life above ours)
DON'T PLAY DEAD WITH ANY BEAR.

Ron.C
08-09-2019, 06:23 AM
Use the search function and you'll find countless pages of discussion on this topic.

In my opinion, probably the best thing you can do that is rarely talked about it try to observe bears. Learn about them, gain some respect for them but you will find you will get more comfortable with them the more you see them. Funny how many panic about grizzlies, but are perfectly comfortable in around black bears.

I do allot of hunting on my own including backpack hunts.

As hunters, you break allot of bear safety rules by always trying to move with the wind in your face, game calling, being quiet, being around animal carcasses.

You have to be alert and aware of your surroundings, but I for one dont move throught the bush/mountains like there is a bear waiting behind every tree to attack me. I also dont carry anything more than my 7mm-08 while hunting. I'm not going to carry a big magnum rifle just in case. My rifle is also not in my hands ready to fire. Most of the time its on my pack. I'll admit, my last run in with a griz was close, and luckily for me he ran after a breif bluff. I never had time to get my rifle off my pack.

I do however carry a pack alarm and have strung it up when I am dressing game, and always set it up around my camp. Dressed out an elk shot solo a t sunset one year. It was warm and had to get it done. Worked till well past midnight to get it dressed and packed out. Only had a bow. I made a ton of noise and got the quarters/straps off and away from the guts as quick as I could.

I also carry a 4" fixed blade knife on the belt of my pack and bear spray.

Not going to get into the bear spray debate, been done to death on here.

Wild one
08-09-2019, 06:46 AM
If you are hunting anywhere in BC crossing paths with grizzly is possible and run ins with black bears are a high possibility most days

I hunt solo often and in areas with good numbers of both black and grizzly. In my opinion there is no reason to stress about bears but you should use your head and be observant( your hunting you should be paying attention to sounds, sign, and animals already ;-)). Outside of that pay attention where you set up your camp. Don’t pitch your tent on top of bear turds or in the middle of active feeding areas. Only other thing I recommend if you are sleeping in a tent in heavy bear areas sleep with a fixed blade knife under your pillow. If you are one of the truly unlucky and a bear hits your tent you are not likely to find the zipper so being able to cut your way out would come in handy. KEEP A CLEAN CAMP I can’t keep track of how many hunters have told me about bear problems as they dump bacon grease or throw scrap food on the edge of their camp :roll:

Use your brains and being observant will limit the possibility of bear problems more than anything

J_T
08-09-2019, 06:56 AM
I agree with the above posts. Sharks might be a current reason to stay out of the water on the east coast, but bears are no reason to stay out of the woods. I hunt alone, I work alone in the bush. Working, I normally only have bear spray. When I'm bowhunting, I do have a small 12 gauge in my pack. Being safe, is mostly about being aware. Learn bear habits and observe sign. Blacks are different that grizzlies in their habits and how they react to your presence.

Jrax
08-09-2019, 07:05 AM
I pack a 7mm mag at the ready with a gun bearer so I can have gun in hands and ready to fire in 3 seconds. When hunting alone, bullet in the chamber with safety on. No pack alarm, though I have considered it, and I always want to carry a can of mace but im usually opting out of both because weight.

I don't stress too much about it but try to be as careful with food and when an animal is down. Try to be aware at all times.

I work in the bush and all I carry is bear mace. Have a handful of encounters over many years. The more you are out there the easier it gets.

Be smart and have fun

caddisguy
08-09-2019, 07:51 AM
Don’t pitch your tent on top of bear turds or in the middle of active feeding areas.

Pffft... nonsense

You gotta show those bears you own the place.

Find an area with fresh bear sign all over and set up in the most obvious path of travel. This creates an obstruction and demonstrates your confidence.

Next you want to walk around the area looking for scent markers or freshly broken saplings and pee on them. And in the case of freshly broken saplings, cut off the broken tips and throw them off into a distance. This is particularly effective during the spring when boars are self conscious during mating season.

As for fresh scat, you gotta do some dirty work. If you find a big pile, grab a stick and flick and disburse it by sweeping and flinging, then pee there too. This shows them you are pretty sick, twisted and unpredictable. And you're going to be doing quite a bit of peeing, so be sure to be drinking a lot of beer throughout the whole process. A 12 pack should do.

Then go back to your tent. One last task before settling in is to make sure all your food is safe inside the tent and spray the area around your tent with bear spray.

After all this, if you do by whatever slight chance happen to hear a bear outside the tent, this is where the fawn distress call comes in handy. Start blowing the crap out of it so it sounds like a fawn getting absolutely wrecked. This should intimidate the bear so you can sleep soundly.

If the unthinkable happens and a bear gets aggressive with you, the most effective tactic is the same as breaking up a dog fight (google it) except you want to use at least 3 fingers.

Or you could take your chances listen to Wild One :) Actually for legal reasons, I have to acknowledge his assessments are effective and proven.

Wild one
08-09-2019, 07:56 AM
Pffft... nonsense

You gotta show those bears you own the place.

Find an area with fresh bear sign all over and set up in the most obvious path of travel. This creates an obstruction and demonstrates your confidence.

Next you want to walk around the area looking for scent markers or freshly broken saplings and pee on them. And in the case of freshly broken saplings, cut off the broken tips and throw them off into a distance. This is particularly effective during the spring when boars are self conscious during mating season.

As for fresh scat, you gotta do some dirty work. If you find a big pile, grab a stick and flick and disburse it by sweeping and flinging, then pee there too. This shows them you are pretty sick, twisted and unpredictable. And you're going to be doing quite a bit of peeing, so be sure to be drinking a lot of beer throughout the whole process. A 12 pack should do.

Then go back to your tent. One last task before settling in is to make sure all your food is safe inside the tent and spray the area around your tent with bear spray.

After all this, if you do by whatever slight chance happen to hear a bear outside the tent, this is where the fawn distress call comes in handy. Start blowing the crap out of it so it sounds like a fawn getting absolutely wrecked. This should intimidate the bear so you can sleep soundly.

If the unthinkable happens and a bear gets aggressive with you, the most effective tactic is the same as breaking up a dog fight (google it) except you want to use at least 3 fingers.

Or you could take your chances listen to Wild One :) Actually for legal reasons, I have to acknowledge his assessments are effective and proven.

But you’re way sounds way more entertaining lol

Fella
08-09-2019, 08:46 AM
Is bear spray like mosquito repellant? You’re supposed to douse yourself in it to repel bears right?

mastercaller
08-09-2019, 08:58 AM
My take on staying safe & best protection when in grizz country
-carry a rifle that's capable of penetrating the dense muscle, bone, fur, fat & beyond & be proficient with it. Use larger diameter bullets with a Sectional Density greater than 0.300
-if using a shotgun use non soft slugs such as Brenneke. The buckshot may or may not work depending how close the grizz is.
-carry a large knife along with a folding one.
-flag the kill area in a circle about 2 ft. high if you need to come back & make a lot of noise when coming back & checking for disturbed flagging
-if more than 1 hunter have one protect & be ready while the other field dresses
-if by yourself have the gun fully loaded & chambered within easy reach & continuously watch & listen to the surroundings

If charged
-aim for the body centre in a frontal charge.
-they can run at more than 45 fps so I would start shooting at around 30 yards+.

What to watch for
-watch for birds such as ravens & listen to rodents noise
-look for fresh droppings & tracks
-smelling something rotten turn around
-if tenting electric fence may help

Finally
NEVER LET YOUR GUARD DOWN WHEN IN GRIZZ COUNTRY.
I WOULD NEVER RELY ON BEAR SPRAY IN STOPPING A DETERMINED BEAR THAT WANTS YOU AS HIS NEXT MEAL.(Spray better than bullets is totally based on a bogus study supported by the anti gun, anti hunting groups that value bears life above ours)
DON'T PLAY DEAD WITH ANY BEAR.

Well said...especially the point about never let your guard down

I carry an air horn, bear spray and a 12g defender.

srupp
08-09-2019, 11:29 AM
Hmmmm some great points...
I buy a new white cotton t shirt for camping..it stays in its package, when setting up the tent I throw the new white sleep shirt in.
No food no candies, dont even brush your teeth in your tent.cook and wash away from your sleeping.
When you go to your tent,,, knife flashlight rifle accompany you..if a bear visits you at night treat it as PREDATORY..if the door of the tent is occupied by said bear, or he flopps down on the tent..use the knife to make a exit..until out rifle is useless..flashlight is to see what to shoot. .
This brings us to the gleaming white new t shirt. .at 3am tired anxious terrified things happen really fast the white helps in the confusion to identify the good guys..you..your partner..
Not eveyone who gets attacked dies..actually deaths are not the norm..however most shot by said partner by accident confusion do die.
If bear grabs your partner aim for bears ass end direction AWAY from bears mouth thats holding your partner..shoot in the hip..KEEP YOUR RIFLE ON THAT SAME EXACT SPOT...the bear will drop partner do a 180 and where his hip was his head will be..shoot in head.
Once down ensure bear is dead..now deal with your injued partner.
Aiming anywhere along a bear towards the head the bullet may travel along the spine towards the mouth holding the bears tent taco dinner..usually fatal at close range for both bear and victim.
tents are for sleeping..not eating.nothing in there to attract bears dinner attraction.
Cheers
srupp

bearvalley
08-09-2019, 11:37 AM
I buy a new white cotton t shirt for camping..it stays in its package, when setting up the tent I throw the new white sleep shirt in.
No food no candies, dont even brush your teeth in your tent.cook and wash away from your sleeping.
When you go to your tent,,, knife flashlight rifle accompany you..if a bear visits you at night treat it as PREDATORY..if the door of the tent is occupied by said bear, or he flopps down on the tent..use the knife to make a exit..until out rifle is useless..flashlight is to see what to shoot. .
This brings us to the gleaming white new t shirt. .at 3am tired anxious terrified things happen really fast the white helps in the confusion to identify the good guys..you..your partner..
Not eveyone who gets attacked dies..actually deaths are not the norm..however most shot by said partner by accident confusion do die.
If bear grabs your partner aim for bears ass end direction AWAY from bears mouth thats holding your partner..shoot in the hip..KEEP YOUR RIFLE ON THAT SAME EXACT SPOT...the bear will drop partner do a 180 and where his hip was his head will be..shoot in head.
Aiming anywhere along a bear towards the head the bullet may travel along the spine towards the mouth holding the bears tent taco dinner..usually fatal at close range for both bear and victim.
tents are for sleeping..not eating.nothing in there to attract bears dinner attraction.
Cheers
srupp

I’ll have to add this to the crew protocol on how to deal with a bear issue.
Theres gonna be a real run on the sale of new white cotton T shirts!
All those camo coloured merino shirts had better get thrown in the garbage burn fire....they’re much to dangerous to be wearing around camp.

Wild one
08-09-2019, 11:58 AM
The white shirt is a new one to me but definitely can see the logic behind

Ourea
08-09-2019, 12:08 PM
Put your big boy pants on and go hunting.
The more you spend time in the field the more you will become comfortable.

Fear of the unknown vs loving being there

bearvalley
08-09-2019, 12:15 PM
Put your big boy pants on and go hunting.

Don’t seem like much of that going on!

charlie_horse
08-09-2019, 12:17 PM
I heard a good one that is simple and makes sense to me. Pitch your tent on the low side of known game trails if game trails are present. Simply due to thermals at night. Obviously far from full proof but also pretty simple.

twoSevenO
08-09-2019, 12:43 PM
I've had one really good bear scare in 2016 (even posted a thread about it) and to be honest my own tiredness still makes me less than cautious.

I've slept in the open, under a tarp with 55lbs of deboned meat 50 yards away, because there was nowhere else good to hang it.

I've slept with all my food above my head, because I was tired and lazy to go hang it far away.

One thing I do, and this could just be placebo, but it makes me feel MUCH better .... is to back my tent or set up tarp into some bushes so that a potential bear attack can really only come from the one open side. Makes me sleep better at night.

srupp
08-09-2019, 01:08 PM
Hmmm make a plan prethink what to do with the game animal...where to store your food..what about sleeping..having camped in bear country..or feeling comfortable has nothing to do with what is possible..how can I be prepared..what is the best plan.?
so your relaxed comfortable in your tent eating your chocolat bar...If something happens being comfortable is your best plan.? Hmmmmmmm
know of at least 3 examples of shit hitting the fan with 20 year plus experienced hunters..and guides...
Do what you want..at least think of what might work and why..if relax be comfortable is goodfor you..its good for the bear..
Terries brand new tent..first day up...shredded..all due to location..and some candy bars left under the pillow....lol ya that will fool a bears nose.
Giving thought through advice..and poo.pood..classy..no wonder folks dont want to post photos..or anything..sheeeeeesh..
Srupp

huntingfamily
08-09-2019, 01:18 PM
I think your biggest threat will be when you have an animal down and are in the process of field dressing it.
There's a pretty good post on here from a while back when Rattler and Brambles were attacked in their tent...
Here it is:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?40606-Brambles-and-Rattler-GRIZZLY-ATTACK-sheep-adventure&highlight=Grizzly+rattler

jtred
08-09-2019, 01:29 PM
I live in the central Kootenays so everywhere I go, whether it be hiking, backpacking, hunting, fishing etc it is all grizzly country. Cougar, black bear, and wolf as well. I mainly hunt solo, day hunts and multi-day backpack trips. First off in on pack trips I keep a tidy camp, food hung as high as possible down wind of camp, no food or toiletries in the tent, tent is not pitched near cooking area. I carry bear spray and my rifle(270win, 7mm-08, or 25-06 no magnums here). I'm very aware of the fact that I'm in bear country, but actually don't let it worry me too much. You have to put it in perspective(not counting if you've killed something) think of how many thousands of people spend how many thousands of hours in the bush recreating and how many bear attacks are there? Admittedly hunters put themselves in somewhat more danger just by the nature of what we are doing. Once you have an animal on the ground the risk does ramp up. While I'm dealing with the carcass(also solo usually) I always reload the magazine and have the rifle loaded with safety on and within reach). I find I have to remind myself to stop and look around once in a while as I get kind of singleminded when I'm dealing with an animal.

I see bears, even right in camp(a black bear sauntered through one time) but so far have never had an issue. I'm 50 and have been fooling around in the bush alone since I was ten on our farm in n. Alberta. So that's 40 years. You have to be vigilant and aware of your surroundings but there really isn't a crazed grizzly behind every tree.

Ourea
08-09-2019, 01:59 PM
Don’t seem like much of that going on!

Kids just have to get out and embrace being in the outdoors and love it vs fearing it.
You are way safer in the backcountry than you are in eastside Chicago.
Hundreds, if not thousands, bumped into grizzly bears every year.......but only a few have been hurt.

bearvalley
08-09-2019, 02:24 PM
Kids just have to get out and embrace being in the outdoors and love it vs fearing it.
Hundreds, if not thousands, bumped into grizzly bears every year.......but only a few have been hurt.

I completely agree with you Dave....it’s laughable that “tried and true” outdoorsmen piss their pants about being in bear country.
The odds of becoming a bear turd aren’t high enough to throw in the towel and take up a career as a coffee shop patron.
I’ve put in time in bear country, been in a couple of tense situations and personally know a few mauling victims.
My advice is have fun in the outdoors....face it if a bear attack does happen it ain’t gonna play out the same as it does when you’re pre-planning for if one does.

Ourea
08-09-2019, 02:33 PM
I had my scare after numerous experiences seeing grizzly bears and admiring them.
It was in my head for a while.....end of the day I wasn't harmed.
They are there.
Don't let them ever get in the way of being outdoors.

bearvalley
08-09-2019, 02:37 PM
I had my scare after numerous experiences seeing grizzly bears and admiring them.
It was in my head for a while.....end of the day I wasn't harmed.
They are there.
Don't let them ever get in the way of being outdoors.

I’m worried when we agree!

Bernie O
08-09-2019, 04:39 PM
After over 50 years of hunting all over BC and doing my share of killing I have only once had an aggressive black bear bother me.
The three ss were the solution. However be aware of your surroundings. Common sense will out smart a bear 99% of the time. If you get unlucky in the 1% think of the good times you had and accept your fate.

hickman
08-09-2019, 05:09 PM
Because I have Grizzlyphobia I always wear the MARK V when walking off the logging road...

srupp
08-09-2019, 05:29 PM
I completely agree with you Dave....it’s laughable that “tried and true” outdoorsmen piss their pants about being in bear country.
The odds of becoming a bear turd aren’t high enough to throw in the towel and take up a career as a coffee shop patron.
I’ve put in time in bear country, been in a couple of tense situations and personally know a few mauling victims.
My advice is have fun in the outdoors....face it if a bear attack does happen it ain’t gonna play out the same as it does when you’re pre-planning for if one does.

Hmmmm no one seems to be " pissing their pants "....seems like the original question of what to do in grizzly country...a couple relax enjoy..what happens will happen que sera sera...
If your answer is go be happy..dont plan dont prepare..so be it...some prepare have thought about it..
You obviously dont hang your game harvest in the tent with you ? See..you have thought about some parts of grizzly country..
Have you ever thought of what to do if your partner is hanging out of a bears mouth.? What would you do ? Why ? It doesnt happen every day but it happens many tmes every year..
When Len Jeck got attacked..he for once in a blue moon wasnt carring a rifle..his thought..its only 1 short trip...
Im glad there are such experienced folks that dont have a plan but are determained to ridicule those that have thought some of these things through and have some sort of idea..
Betty Franks ws fine sleeping on the slides with grizzlies everything will be fine..nothing has ever happened.....untill it did...
Im truly sorry for adding my.02 when so many obviously have much better ideas..
Do nothing.....ok..for ewe..
Srupp

twoSevenO
08-09-2019, 05:52 PM
If you are worried about being in grizz country, alone or not, you probably wont have much fun. My biggest worry is DRIVING on a highway to grizz country where I will be safe! No way I would drive an import on the highway to grizz country!! WAY to dangerous! I feel at least a 4 door F350 with aftermarket bumpers is a bare minimum for driving to grizz country. I would feel even safer with an F550. Once on the mountain you can relax.

What the hell does that even mean? Like you are afraid of hitting a bear? I cant even tell if this is a serious post. I assume not since i cant tell what difference it makes how many doors your truck has. Lol

This is next level messed up paranoia right there ... LOL.

jtred
08-09-2019, 05:53 PM
Hmmmm no one seems to be " pissing their pants "....seems like the original question of what to do in grizzly country...a couple relax enjoy..what happens will happen que sera sera...
If your answer is go be happy..dont plan dont prepare..so be it...some prepare have thought about it..
You obviously dont hang your game harvest in the tent with you ? See..you have thought about some parts of grizzly country..
Have you ever thought of what to do if your partner is hanging out of a bears mouth.? What would you do ? Why ? It doesnt happen every day but it happens many tmes every year..
When Len Jeck got attacked..he for once in a blue moon wasnt carring a rifle..his thought..its only 1 short trip...
Im glad there are such experienced folks that dont have a plan but are determained to ridicule those that have thought some of these things through and have some sort of idea..
Betty Franks ws fine sleeping on the slides with grizzlies everything will be fine..nothing has ever happened.....untill it did...
Srupp
Your input is very important and welcome, it's unfortunate some don't sit back and read their posts over a couple of times before posting. I don't get why some are so aggressive in their opinions, the anonymous nature of the internet surely is the best place to be an expert. The bear defence thread has been discussed many times, and I understand that the wilderness does cause anxiety for the new hunter. The very best way to learn is to go out with experienced woodsmen/women (woodspeople?) that actually practise what they preach. Be alert, keep a clean camp, don't store attractants in or near your tent, once an animal is down vigilance has to ramp up. Number one rule is if you're not comfortable being in the wilderness alone, don't be. This is supposed to be a good time, you won't have a good time if you're worried all the time. Go with a group.

bearvalley
08-09-2019, 06:15 PM
Srupp

Easy Steven.....no offense meant.
One day we’ll have to trade Betty Frank stories....knew her well.
And Clayton Mack as well....he was a good friend of my dads from the Anahim Lake days.
You should have seen Connie King after the grizzly family chewed him up...some kids walking home to Clesspocket after school sure had scalp tingles.
But I guess they got over it...they still travel in grizzly country.
How about old Frank Cushman and the bear that died on top him...his kid Tim and I were talking about that a while back.
Wouldnt it be a bitch to save yourself from a bear and die pinned under its stinking carcass?

Anyhow I ain’t planning on getting mauled to death by a grizzly but it would probably beat sitting in an old age home shitting my pants until I croaked from old age.

bearvalley
08-09-2019, 06:15 PM
Srupp

Easy Steven.....no offense meant.
One day we’ll have to trade Betty Frank stories....knew her well.
And Clayton Mack as well....he was a good friend of my dads from the Anahim Lake days.
You should have seen Connie King after the grizzly family chewed him up...some kids walking home to Clesspocket after school sure had scalp tingles.
But I guess they got over it...they still travel in grizzly country.
How about old Frank Cushman and the bear that died on top him...his kid Tim and I were talking about that a while back.
Wouldnt it be a bitch to save yourself from a bear and die pinned under its stinking carcass?

Anyhow I ain’t planning on getting mauled to death by a grizzly but it would probably beat sitting in an old age home shitting my pants until I croaked from old age.

Gateholio
08-09-2019, 06:19 PM
Cheers
srupp

You know, I always take a cotton t-shirt for sleeping in, as it's comfortable and nice to get out of the merino or polypro. But never a white one. That's not a bad idea. Many of us have woken up to grizzly tracks around the tent, you always kinda wonder what if?

Like most people that spend lots of time around bears, they don't scare me, but I've also ran into a few bears-black and grizzly- that were real assholes. No need to live in fear, but taking a few standard precautions and being aware of your surroundings is always a good idea.

Deaddog
08-09-2019, 10:57 PM
Up to recently human smell kept grizzly away. Meat in our camp was ours, you want it come take it , we shall see what happens with-no hunt. Bottom line bears shouldn’t make u lose sleep , go out enjoy and don’t worry about the what if’s

wildcatter
08-09-2019, 11:28 PM
Grizzly numbers are increasing since no hunting allowed, so are incidents and it will get worse.
The question is when will those making the decisions realize that was maybe not the best idea.
Oh, I forget the antis will do everything to not have grizzly hunting reinstated.
Anyway, it will not keep me from going out in the bush, but will make me more aware of the
surroundings and ready to tackle whatever comes.

Danny_29
08-10-2019, 12:20 AM
Just be Beary aware.

I'm most worried about suprising a bear. Distance is a huge factor and if you surprise a bear in close you've got none. Distance gives you lots and time and options.

Carry bear spray and a knife on my hip at all times, you get used to it pretty quick.

Jagermeister
08-10-2019, 06:52 AM
Going back fifty or 60 years ago, grizzlies had fear of man and would book it for parts unknown once man was detected.
The reason for this was to that in most cases man would fire a shot into a grizzly once spotted. Shots were not always lethal to the bear and those survivors instilled fear of humans into other bears simply avoiding human contact.
Times have changed as the practice of indiscriminate shots fired at grizzly and blacks too has fallen into disfavour through regulation. As a result, over the past 40 or fifty years, grizzlies fear has diminished and they have regained title ”Emperor of the Forest”. Shots heard now are an attracting dinner bell for “meat on the ground”. And the race is on.
I think that solo day hunting trips are not too much of an issue. You just had your wits about your surroundings. However, it’s much easier to get the after the shot job done if you have a companion along.
Multi-day trips are better with a hunting partner. But if that is not possible then one should take a little extra precaution.
Hunting solo.
Park your tent, if it’s possible, so it is only approachable from one direction and away from game trails.
Have detachable scope rings. Trying to find the target in the dark and at close quarters is extremely difficult. Having the scope off will make it easier for target acquisition.
Invest in a pack-alarm. Advanced warnings of intruders is most
beneficial.
Have a Spot or Inreach device to assure folks back home you’re okay or summon help if required.
And the knife at hand whether it be for creating a new opening in the tent or stabbing away is sound advice.
A leanto with a mattress of spruce boughs and a small fire out front with a reflector. Been there, done that.

08-10-2019, 07:20 AM
A couple years ago we started using a Pack Alarm. The units are small and light and work as advertised. Two years ago we had a grizzly come into camp at about 1:00am. The alarm woke us up and scared the bear

RiverOtter
08-10-2019, 07:30 AM
Good to know that if I roll into a hunting camp at Zero Dark Thirty and see a GIANT marshmallow walking towards me, it's just Rupp. Hahaha.

Arctic Lake
08-10-2019, 07:43 AM
Used to sleep in a tent in Grizz country with my Buck fixed blade right by my side . Will upgrade to my BK9 next time. Oh also now have a Remington 870 Police to sleep with but that would not come with me in a hike in situation .
Arctic Lake

Wild one
08-10-2019, 07:51 AM
I wonder how many people have slept through bears sniffing their tent at night and don’t realize it :wink:

Personally I have been woken up to this a good number of times and there are places I pretty much expect it over a 7day or more hunt. Outside of pushing their nose against the tent I have had no issues and they just moved on. I do get a laugh out of telling my hunting partners who have slept through it once we are packed up headed home. Made a mistake telling a new hunting partner in the morning on one trip and he freaked and slept in the truck for the rest of the trip lol

Its good to pay attention and realize there is bears around it’s just part of being in the outdoors in the west but it’s way less of an issue than many think. Most bears are not going to cause you problems but yes there is a small portion of asshole bears

HighCountryBC
08-10-2019, 08:05 AM

x2 on that chief.

Some thoroughly laid out plans on here that would no doubt go out the window if something were to happen. If a bear wants to come have a sniff around your tent, it will. There is some obvious housekeeping to do around camp but brushing your teeth or a chocolate bar wrapper in your tent isn't a dinner bell.

HarryToolips
08-10-2019, 09:55 AM
I agree that the chances of attack are slim, however I still use a pack alarm, have my gun with mag loaded in the tent along with a knife and my headlamp stays on my head..

wildcatter
08-10-2019, 10:16 AM
I wonder how many people have slept through bears sniffing their tent at night and don’t realize it :wink:

Personally I have been woken up to this a good number of times and there are places I pretty much expect it over a 7day or more hunt. Outside of pushing their nose against the tent I have had no issues and they just moved on. I do get a laugh out of telling my hunting partners who have slept through it once we are packed up headed home. Made a mistake telling a new hunting partner in the morning on one trip and he freaked and slept in the truck for the rest of the trip lol

Its good to pay attention and realize there is bears around it’s just part of being in the outdoors in the west but it’s way less of an issue than many think. Most bears are not going to cause you problems but yes there is a small portion of asshole bears

Yeah happened to me a few times, kind of hard to fall asleep again after hearing the sniffing.

mpotzold
08-10-2019, 10:45 AM
I agree that the chances of attack are slim, however I still use a pack alarm, have my gun with mag loaded in the tent along with a knife and my headlamp stays on my head..

Yes I agree! But why take a chance? Better be safe than sorry!

I also fully agree with Jager that grizz have/are/will be losing fear of men. As Gary Shelton said we must instill fear of man by hunting them.

I have worked, hunted,camped,....in grizz country for over 54 years & had many,many bear encounters(mostly black) but the bear always left sometimes reluctantly. When working mostly carried a mag. revolver but sometimes a .303 as issued by the company.

Only once was charged by a huge grizzly. Eve & I thought -that was the end. Had nothing to protect us with. My gun was over 100 ft. away. Yelling is what changed his mind only feet away.
And no! you don't crap in your pants. You become much more astute & do the best to get yourself out of the dire predicament.

MRP
08-10-2019, 04:55 PM
So where the heck is grizzly country? I know the odds of seeing one is better some places than others. But in BC as far as I can tell from the outskirts of Vancouver to highest peak is big bad griz country. Get over it and just get at it.

LBM
08-10-2019, 05:56 PM
Does anyone hunt alone in Grizzly country? If so can we share some advice for novices and pros alike? Strategies & tactics to stay safe???? Protective gear etc?

Thanks
Hunt and am in it every day. Respect them and be as aware as you can as others have said. There have always been bear encounters saying they have to be hunted to install fear is
just crap IMO people have been attacked and still are were there is open seasons. There is way more people in the outdoors now so bond to be more encounters.

Arctic Lake
08-10-2019, 08:02 PM
Yes I agree! But why take a chance? Better be safe than sorry!

I also fully agree with Jager that grizz have/are/will be losing fear of men. As Gary Shelton said we must instill fear of man by hunting them.

I have worked, hunted,camped,....in grizz country for over 54 years & had many,many bear encounters(mostly black) but the bear always left sometimes reluctantly. When working mostly carried a mag. revolver but sometimes a .303 as issued by the company.

Only once was charged by a huge grizzly. Eve & I thought -that was the end. Had nothing to protect us with. My gun was over 100 ft. away. Yelling is what changed his mind only feet away.
And no! you don't crap in your pants. You become much more astute & do the best to get yourself out of the dire predicament.

Mpotzold Hmmmmm I sometimes wonder if they would be able to just get one hell of a big kick in the ass that was not lethal when they encounter man that when they are near him again they get the hell out of Dodge .
Arctic Lake

Walking Buffalo
08-10-2019, 08:05 PM
Hunt and am in it every day. Respect them and be as aware as you can as others have said. There have always been bear encounters saying they have to be hunted to install fear is
just crap IMO people have been attacked and still are were there is open seasons. There is way more people in the outdoors now so bond to be more encounters.

Yup!

It is well established fact that hunted animals have no less fear of people than hunted animals.

How this truth cannot be so blatantly obvious to a bunch of hunters is mind-blowing.... :rolleyes:

tomcat
08-10-2019, 08:30 PM
Yup!
It is well established fact that hunted animals have no less fear of people than hunted animals. Who established that fact??

Luka77
08-10-2019, 09:04 PM
Yup!

It is well established fact that hunted animals have no less fear of people than hunted animals.

How this truth cannot be so blatantly obvious to a bunch of hunters is mind-blowing.... :rolleyes:

Just recently I've read an article how biologists were testing effect of human voice on animal (predator) behavior, and when cougars, wolves heard human voice playing on recording it spooked them, and they've changed their paths and started avoiding that area. Same effect dogs bark had on raccoons.
It seems that animals are spooked by predators sound and humans are predators, so I think they are spooked of people, not all of them, but most of them. are

Rattler
08-10-2019, 09:17 PM
Just recently I've read an article how biologists were testing effect of human voice on animal (predator) behavior, and when cougars, wolves heard human voice playing on recording it spooked them, and they've changed their paths and started avoiding that area. Same effect dogs bark had on raccoons.
It seems that animals are spooked by predators sound and humans are predators, so I think they are spooked of people, not all of them, but most of them. are

I can speak to the “not all of them” spook to human voices. When we got attacked it happened as soon as we yelled at the bear. Will never forget the sound of that bear running towards our tent. You could hear the bears feet hitting the ground and getting louder and louder as it was charging...

Gun loaded in tent, headlamp on and I use a pack alarm.

northof49
08-10-2019, 09:53 PM
There have always been bear encounters saying they have to be hunted to install fear is
just crap IMO people have been attacked and still are were there is open seasons.

Animals that are hunted by humans are more fearful. Deer in municipal no hunting areas have no signif fear of humans because they have become conditioned to associate that humans won’t harm them. Whereas deer out in the bush are fearful and take off in a flash. Deer quickly associate humans and gun shots and buddy flopping over dead as not such a good thing!! Ever pull your truck over to take a shot at a coyote or wolf? You can immediately tell the ones that have been shot at before or seen buddy shot.....they are running flat out the moment you so much as slow down....FEAR IS LEARNED. No different for bears. They soon equate people, gun shots and death and learn it is best to avoid humans. This is where the concept of hazing comes from....provide a suitably negative stimulus and the bears learn it is simply best to avoid humans. In the absence of a negative stimulus the bears will do as they like and become more and more bold. In the absence of hunting, bears will quickly learn they have nothing to be scared of and do as they please. There will always be people attacked regardless....but there is no question that the frequency of attacks will increase as the grizzly population increases with the absence of griz hunting, and as they become less fearful of humans.

Walking Buffalo
08-11-2019, 12:08 AM
I'll try to do this again.

It is well established fact that hunted animals have no less fear of people than UN-hunted animals.

Who established that fact??

Other than LBM, I don't know.

My comment was pure sarcasm.

HarryToolips
08-11-2019, 08:27 AM
I can speak to the “not all of them” spook to human voices. When we got attacked it happened as soon as we yelled at the bear. Will never forget the sound of that bear running towards our tent. You could hear the bears feet hitting the ground and getting louder and louder as it was charging...

Did the pack alarm go off??

Sakofox
08-11-2019, 08:45 AM
That's a great topic! I've been moose hunting by myself for over 10 years with great success. Ive also been quite lucky regarding bear encounters although I've been bluff charged 3 times by a grizzly. I'm a big believer in getting the harvested animal to camp right away whatever it takes. Leaving it overnight until morning has been treacherous for me. Always listen to the ravens and enjoy the outdoors.

northof49
08-11-2019, 09:40 AM
^^^ I’m of different opinion. Have hunted for 45yrs mostly on my own mostly in areas with griz and have had run-ins over the years. When hunting moose/elk typically use 338win to deal with unfriendly visitors. I never process/pack in the dark. You can’t shoot what you can’t see. If I get something down at last light I simply bust the guts out, split the sternum, open the neck and couple of smaller logs under to help with airflow and cooling and tie one of the front legs off to tree to keep it open. String a tarp over a few feet above to keep the rain off and back at first light in the morning to finish processing. I hang some ribbon and mark the last 100yds with flagging trail so know when am getting close. Stop, look, listen when approaching. I don’t go in there making a bunch of noise. Have frequently had griz come in bugling and to gun shot. Processing in the dark on your own exposes you to unnecessary risk.....just not necessary. If have time can always quarter and move the quarters 300 yds down wind from gut pile and tarp there instead. It is amazing how quiet a big griz can be sneaking in. Can appear out of nowhere....lot better when can actually see them in the day light. Just the way I do things based on my experiences and works for me. Also I tend to hunt when it is cooler so bone sour not an issue if get it opened up nicely. I tend to hunt mornings more anyhow except some areas that have always produced better in the eve.

steve-r
08-11-2019, 11:20 AM
Does anyone have a pack alarm recommendation?

Jagermeister
08-11-2019, 11:50 AM
Does anyone have a pack alarm recommendation?As far as known, this is the only one.

http://www.packalarm.net/

srupp
08-11-2019, 11:53 AM
x2 on that chief.

Some thoroughly laid out plans on here that would no doubt go out the window if something were to happen. If a bear wants to come have a sniff around your tent, it will. There is some obvious housekeeping to do around camp but brushing your teeth or a chocolate bar wrapper in your tent isn't a dinner bell.

Hmmm actually it is...a dinner bell...poor advice when new hunters are relying on advice..1 chocolate bar $1600 tent gone first morning..terry never slept in a tent while guiding again..
Hmmm big white marshmello..Rupp appreciate the analogy..really...
Bearvalley..both my friends and mentors..Clayton Mack and Betty Franks are deceased unfortunatly..Betty some 5 years ago now .
Srupp

Jagermeister
08-11-2019, 12:01 PM
That's a great topic! I've been moose hunting by myself for over 10 years with great success. Ive also been quite lucky regarding bear encounters although I've been bluff charged 3 times by a grizzly. I'm a big believer in getting the harvested animal to camp right away whatever it takes. Leaving it overnight until morning has been treacherous for me. Always listen to the ravens and enjoy the outdoors.
Bluff charged three time by a grizzly. And you were at your kill when this happened. Those were not grizzlies, those were pussies.

Bugle M In
08-11-2019, 12:04 PM
I have seen first hand how "gun shots" can be a dinner bell for GBear.
Think the person videos was of Redfern Country.
Taking long shots (too far, imo) of a Bull Cariboo in a large open bull on the left side.
A Gbear that was feeding alone way on the right side of the bowl starting hauling ass towards that bull as soon as the shots started to fire.
Even the fact that the bull hadn't originally been hit with the first several shots until another shooter took over the attempt.
I don't even think the bull had a clue he was the one being fired upon!
Yet somehow that Bear sure knew.
By the time the bull hit the ground, the bear was on it!

Now, if bears were hunted in the fall (which I think tags should have been handed out at the time), that bear would be long gone.
Either taken by a hunter or got his ass back into deep country away from hunters.
Gbear do not act in the manner they once did many years ago when they were hunted annually etc.
Their fear is virtually gone to some degree.
They now are "thinking it over" before they react it seems.

moosinaround
08-11-2019, 12:12 PM

Thanks

Clean camp, understand bear behavior, if you notice recent bear activity, don't out your camp there! In the tent, I have a loaded gun, and a flashlight, as well as my headlamp. I do think about a plan when going to sleep, it is fresh in your head as you are waking to dispatch a toothed killer! I have used a pack alarm they work well! Keep dead critters away from your tent, and your associated clothes that have dead critter juices on them. I do not give bears much room when they come close to me. If they do not leave after I hollar at them, they get dead quick! Any big bore rifle with good shot placement will be adequate for a bear! go out and have fun, All of BC is bear country, so be prepared everywhere! Moosin

Bugle M In
08-11-2019, 12:17 PM
Nothing wrong with make your rifle your new "mistress" while going to sleep in a tent in bear country, imo!

bearvalley
08-11-2019, 03:16 PM
Nothing wrong with make your rifle your new "mistress" while going to sleep in a tent in bear country, imo!
Probably more chance of getting hurt cuddling up with a loaded rifle than there is of being a grizzly bear snack pack!

bearvalley
08-11-2019, 03:20 PM
Hmmm actually it is...a dinner bell...poor advice when new hunters are relying on advice..1 chocolate bar $1600 tent gone first morning..terry never slept in a tent while guiding again..
Bearvalley..both my friends and mentors..Clayton Mack and Betty Franks are deceased unfortunatly..Betty some 5 years ago now .
Srupp

Oh my.......

LBM
08-11-2019, 04:55 PM
Animals that are hunted by humans are more fearful. Deer in municipal no hunting areas have no signif fear of humans because they have become conditioned to associate that humans won’t harm them. Whereas deer out in the bush are fearful and take off in a flash. Deer quickly associate humans and gun shots and buddy flopping over dead as not such a good thing!! Ever pull your truck over to take a shot at a coyote or wolf? You can immediately tell the ones that have been shot at before or seen buddy shot.....they are running flat out the moment you so much as slow down....FEAR IS LEARNED. No different for bears. They soon equate people, gun shots and death and learn it is best to avoid humans. This is where the concept of hazing comes from....provide a suitably negative stimulus and the bears learn it is simply best to avoid humans. In the absence of a negative stimulus the bears will do as they like and become more and more bold. In the absence of hunting, bears will quickly learn they have nothing to be scared of and do as they please. There will always be people attacked regardless....but there is no question that the frequency of attacks will increase as the grizzly population increases with the absence of griz hunting, and as they become less fearful of humans.

Have had both wolves and coyotes come out after one from there pack has been shot many times, some even seen the first one shot and still came back out, mind you we had hiked in not driving in a truck.
Seen the same with many ungulates as well. Last year there is 2 bull moose on a slide chute a guy shoots the one in the evening and as you do gutted and left it till morning on way back runs into another
tag holder walk out on slide there is the other bull so shoots it, guess that one didn't get the memo. Shooting a bear with a gun or hazing with rubber bullets, paint balls, dogs etc are 2 different things, a dead bear is not coming back, and personally
I have seen hazing more effective on cats, with bears seems to depend on time of year and the food source. Many suggest black bears are more dangerous then grizzly yet they are hunted both spring and fall.
The grizzly population may or may not increase hard to say even with out the season there is bears being shot, but one thing for sure with the increasing human population and more user groups in the out doors
there will be more encounters. Don't believe in the dinner bell theory either.

Ron.C
08-11-2019, 05:19 PM
I am also skeptical if hunting bear in wilderness areas makes them fear man. Animals living in close proximity to people are a bit different I think and all habituated to some degree.

I dont know how shooting a lone bear" griz or blackie " somehow instills fear of humans in other bears? I do know from first hand experience that bears can learn to associate the shot of a rifle with food, and I have no doubt that they can and do pick up the scent of blood/gut of human killed game and sometimes come to investigate a potentoal meal.

MRP
08-11-2019, 08:20 PM
Haven't ģot one but solar powered motion yard lights for hanging meat has crossed my mind . $30 At Costco last time I seen them.

Rattler
08-11-2019, 09:22 PM
Did the pack alarm go off??

Did not have a pack alarm when we were attacked. I’m not sure it would have been helpful anyway given how fast she was running before she hit our tent. Pack alarms will work well for curious bears and give one time to get ready/scare it off.

Bugle M In
08-11-2019, 09:25 PM
Oh my.......

Well I guess if you are the type to have one in the pipe already.
In my case I rarely do unless I am ready to drop the pin, so I would say "nope".

Bugle M In
08-11-2019, 09:27 PM
I have seen first hand how "gun shots" can be a dinner bell for GBear.
Think the person videos was of Redfern Country.
Taking long shots (too far, imo) of a Bull Cariboo in a large open bull on the left side.
A Gbear that was feeding alone way on the right side of the bowl starting hauling ass towards that bull as soon as the shots started to fire.
Even the fact that the bull hadn't originally been hit with the first several shots until another shooter took over the attempt.
I don't even think the bull had a clue he was the one being fired upon!
Yet somehow that Bear sure knew.
By the time the bull hit the ground, the bear was on it!

Now, if bears were hunted in the fall (which I think tags should have been handed out at the time), that bear would be long gone.
Either taken by a hunter or got his ass back into deep country away from hunters.
Gbear do not act in the manner they once did many years ago when they were hunted annually etc.
Their fear is virtually gone to some degree.
They now are "thinking it over" before they react it seems.

FYI, all captured on video by one of the hunters present.

tigrr
08-11-2019, 09:38 PM
That fishing string camp alarm is a good thing.
I live amongst 7 grizzly's as of sept 2017. Be bear aware and have fun. They do actually fear you. Unless they have cubs and are on a killed moose. Then you are SOL. I still see bow hunters with no gun.
Alone nope!

mpotzold
08-11-2019, 09:57 PM
Did not have a pack alarm when we were attacked. I’m not sure it would have been helpful anyway given how fast she was running before she hit our tent. Pack alarms will work well for curious bears and give one time to get ready/scare it off.

The one time we may:?: use bear spray!:mrgreen:

Thanks for the input to the guy that has walked the talk.:) Main reason I totally trust Gary Shelton.

-another grizz encounter story.
LT(LOVER 308 ) & I came across a huge grizz feeding on a freshly killed moose near Germansen Lake on a logging road about an hour before dark. Instead of charging the 2 guys in the VW he ran away as fast as a locomotive. LT had his 308 ready. We were headed for an old abandoned trapper's cabin not that far away. The cabin door was not very sturdy so we placed pebbles in empty cans attached to a string about 20 feet in front of the doorway & about a foot high. The bear decided to live.:p

Jrax
08-12-2019, 05:40 AM
was it posted here? I would like to see that one if they are sharing it! I hunt there some years and have seen some aggressive ones.

Arctic Lake
08-12-2019, 09:23 AM

Hi Rattler. I think I remember hearing about your incident . Could you please post any links to the story .
Thank You
Arctic Lake

mpotzold
08-12-2019, 09:28 AM
Forgot to mention.
Don't count on campfire protection against a determined bear.

northof49
08-12-2019, 10:15 AM
Hi Rattler. I think I remember hearing about your incident . Could you please post any links to the story .
Thank You
Arctic Lake

see post 19

wildcatter
08-12-2019, 09:10 PM
A bit sideways from the topic but it's about bears.
This article in The Vancouver Sun titled:
The horrific truth about the way our bears are managed

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/op-ed/sylvia-dolson-the-horrific-truth-about-the-way-our-bears-are-managed
Stupidity knows no limit, note the words "our bears" what?
The simple truth is the bear population is exploding, so no wonder the number of incidents are on the rise.

HighCountryBC
08-12-2019, 09:10 PM
Srupp

Sorry Srupp but the poor advice isn't coming from this end.

The amount of scent around camp, let alone your tent is huge. If a bear comes in, he's made the decision to check things out. Brushing your teeth outside your tent isn't stopping that.

As Bearvalley and Ourea have already said, if an attack does happen - it isn't playing out like these detailed pre-plans have been written.

srupp
08-12-2019, 09:22 PM
Hmmm as said repeatadly..do what you want but advocating for food inside your tent for those new hunters seeking guidance is asking for problems..
...most times its the food..the only exception I can think about was on Kodiak island...professional guide and client attacked in the tent..the video was something along the lines of shootout at OK corral...no mention about food stuff present...
Srupp

AlpineStalker
08-12-2019, 10:03 PM

Does anyone have a link to this video?

Bugle M In
08-12-2019, 11:51 PM
Does anyone have a link to this video?

Nope, it was a personal video I was given to watch but have given it back some years ago now.
I recall other threads some years ago on here with a member talking about one Gbear in the southern EK area that a few folks had given a name to.
Again, they said once shots were fired, the bear would come in and hunters had to give up the quarry to the bear.
I suppose some of those members have long since left HBC also?
The right place with the right bear who has had some experience and success with hunters and their game does exist, thus the dinner bell from shots fired.
Most areas it's the gutpile that most likely brings them in.
Again, another thread somewhere back in here somewhere where someone I think had a Moose (Elk) down and was getting it ready on the horse when
they were attacked.
IT's not a frequent thing for sure, but I am of the opinion that "these days" bears tend to be a lot more unpredictable then years ago.
Years ago you would have been hard pressed to ever see one.
Now I spot them in the cut blocks more than I do elk and moose combined!

HarryToolips
08-13-2019, 09:26 PM
Ah ok thanks for the info, glad your ok...

tinhorse
08-13-2019, 10:17 PM
When hunting in grizzly country alone just carry a bottle of Chuck Norris urine with you. One sniff and the bears will be scared shitless and running for their lives.

Paulyman
08-13-2019, 10:46 PM
A tree stand is a good way to prevent an ambush.

Redthies
08-14-2019, 06:27 AM

Hard to get your tent or downed elk in your tree stand...

joshbazz
08-14-2019, 08:21 AM
As far as known, this is the only one.

http://www.packalarm.net/

Just ordered one...

corywilson13
08-18-2019, 08:58 PM
We did as well.

mpotzold
08-18-2019, 11:14 PM

But then you need to be weather aware!:p

https://www.geek.com/news/lightning-strike-kills-300-pound-bear-in-colorado-photo-1799907/

j270wsm
08-19-2019, 07:36 AM
Just after day light dad walked us into an area where he hunted elk and even though I’d listen to dad practice with his bugle......I wasn’t prepared for the next 30min. We were up before daylight, had our breakfast and drove to our destination arriving just as it was getting light. We slowly walked the trail into the big meadow and got set up with a few trees as a blind. After a few quiet min of watching the meadow dad let out a bugle....200yds across the meadow a bull screamed back at us, after a few more bugles back and forth the wind changed and the bull went silent and disappeared. I wasn’t prepared for how electrifying that first response would be. I was scared, nervous and excited but most of all, in that instant I was hooked on elk hunting.

There is nothing like having a bull with in 20-100yds, screaming and charging through trees/alders to find a challenging bull or the cow that’s desperately calling out to him.......

I live in elkford which is pretty much dead center of the elk valley. As many on this site know we have a very healthy grizz population in this corner of the province. For the last 18yrs I have hunted elk alone more than I have with a partner. The last 6yrs I have spent a ton of time helping my son with getting his first 6pt.
With the exception of a few yrs where I didn’t buy a tag or just couldn’t get a shot, I have taken an elk every yr since my first bull when I was 19. Between myself, my dad, my son, my uncle and friends...I have been in on at least 30 successful elk hunts over the last 18yrs, 15 of those successful hunts resulted in my elk tag being cut.

Some of these bulls were standing in the open when we were driving, some were called into cut blocks with lots of visibility and some were called into close range through thick timber and alders. During 95% of these hunts I was packing a 270 with 130gr tsx......and not once did I worry about not having enough rifle in case a grizz was encountered.

I can honestly say that encountering a grizz is something that rarely crosses my mind. Yes they live where I hunt and I have seen them while hunting but if your more focused on grizz and what to do if encountered or being out gunned.......your missing out on a lot of hunting opportunity. After all how often do you actually see a grizz while hunting let alone get within 200yds of it?? Get out hunting.....be smart, be safe and if that bad encounter happens.....make the first shot count!!

Mosin
08-19-2019, 07:58 AM
Who established that fact??

Someone that doesn't hunt...now that there is also a well established fact lol

walks with deer
08-19-2019, 09:23 AM
i set led motion solar lights by my camp...if your still standing in the light by time i aim...i am fireing.

LBM
08-19-2019, 11:57 AM
i set led motion solar lights by my camp...if your still standing in the light by time i aim...i am fireing.

Doesn't seem fair you no why the guys pit lamp or use lights, kind of blinds them and makes them stand there.
May be a good idea to see what is there though.

REMINGTON JIM
08-19-2019, 01:08 PM
Make the first one ! One of these ! https://www.cabelas.ca/product/98388/lightfield-rubber-slug :biggrin: RJ

knothead
08-19-2019, 09:47 PM
Make the first one ! One of these ! https://www.cabelas.ca/ tcproduct/98388/lightfield-rubber-slug (https://www.cabelas.ca/product/98388/lightfield-rubber-slug) :biggrin: RJ

Make the first one an 1 1/4oz slug and all the rest the same. Likely you will be lucky to get one on target if the bear is charging.

hawk-i
08-20-2019, 06:47 AM
One might sleep better with one of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLnKBWqPcVI

decker9
08-20-2019, 08:23 AM
We had a run in last week while sheep hunting, grizzly roamed into camp, nose down in the berry’s. We got his attention (and the camera rolling) about 80 yards from the tent, once we got his attention, he started making a choking/gagging noise from his throat, each time, a big string of drool would poor out of his mouth. After 30-40 seconds of trying to get our smell, he stood up on his hinds, and gave the look that cartoon bears do before they take a run. Luckily I guess I sounded meaner then he cared to tangle with.

Does anyone have experience with the choking sounds I was hearing? He was woofing and snapping his jaws a bit, I wonder if the choking sounds were another, scare tactic maybe?

I’ll share a couple photos I snapped from the video, which I did a bit of editing on. We only had one gun on this hunt, I think that will change next year.

https://i.imgur.com/7tgEXnF.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/YymAOGP.jpg

Ron.C
08-20-2019, 08:35 AM
Decker, glad it worked out for you, and the bear. Pretty neat pics.

Perhaps the "choking" sounds were just the bear clearing what he was in the process of eating. I had a very similar situation 3 years back, except I walked up on the bear at about 20 yards that was feeding at a creek crossing. He also stood woofed " and made some other wierd noise" just before he dropped back on a fours and exited

Wild one
08-20-2019, 08:47 AM
We had a run in last week while sheep hunting, grizzly roamed into camp, nose down in the berry’s. We got his attention (and the camera rolling) about 80 yards from the tent, once we got his attention, he started making a choking/gagging noise from his throat, each time, a big string of drool would poor out of his mouth. After 30-40 seconds of trying to get our smell, he stood up on his hinds, and gave the look that cartoon bears do before they take a run. Luckily I guess I sounded meaner then he cared to tangle with.

Does anyone have experience with the choking sounds I was hearing? He was woofing and snapping his jaws a bit, I wonder if the choking sounds were another, scare tactic maybe?

I’ll share a couple photos I snapped from the video, which I did a bit of editing on. We only had one gun on this hunt, I think that will change next year.

Those photos turned out really good with the background. Amazing shots but I also have no camera skills lol

With out being able to hear what you experienced it’s hard to be sure if I am thinking the same sound. If it’s what I am thinking of it’s something I have heard when a bear has been startled or agitated but does not realize what’s going on. Basically a bear going WTF well taking a defensive stance. I don’t know if I would call it gaging/choking sound but kinda flemmy huff growl.

I could be thinking a completely different sound but it’s hard to explain what I mean or be sure what you heard. If it is the same one I view it as a confused/agitated response

Jrax
08-20-2019, 09:00 AM

yes, have had this happen while I was parking the truck to start work. Just as I was pulling over we noticed two large grizzlies feeding about 30m away on the edge of brush. The sow turned and saw us then bolted but the boar started huffing and making growly and gurgly noises and drool was pouring out of his mouth then he charged! It was spring so we guess that we interrupted his courting.

Arctic Lake
08-20-2019, 09:17 AM
Make the first one ! One of these ! https://www.cabelas.ca/product/98388/lightfield-rubber-slug :biggrin: RJ

RJ. And others I have been wondering if these would work to inflict a good kick in the ass so that bears realize when they see man stay away . I see that they come rated for different yardages so perhaps better to send a message before they get too close Of course it may only work for those bears that have already had that said kick in the ass . Thoughts ?
There is a fella on the other website who has a lot of experience with Polar Bears using these .
Arctic Lake

Wild one
08-20-2019, 09:25 AM
RJ. And others I have been wondering if these would work to inflict a good kick in the ass so that bears realize when they see man stay away . I see that they come rated for different yardages so perhaps better to send a message before they get too close Of course it may only work for those bears that have already had that said kick in the ass . Thoughts ?
There is a fella on the other website who has a lot of experience with Polar Bears using these .
Arctic Lake

I have not used rubber slugs but I have educated bears to keep away from my house with a slingshot with success

decker9
08-20-2019, 09:31 AM
That’s explains it better wild one, a flemmy huff, almost like a flemmy moose grunt, but faster and not as deep. He did seem agitated, curious... and hungry lol.

I will try and get the video on imgur and share it in here.

decker9
08-20-2019, 11:45 AM
See if this works, a few seconds in, you can see what he (I think) does with his throat.

https://youtu.be/8JMZlpotV1s (https://youtu.be/8JMZlpotV1s)

northof49
08-20-2019, 11:47 AM
Typically just means they are agitated and not too happy....a warning. Can go either way depending on demeanour and age of bear. I have had a mid-size griz popping jaws and hissing like a cat.....basically blowing air and spit. Simply letting me know he wasn’t happy. Good he wasn’t sure of himself or would have been a bad situation. Had been waiting on my back trail in ambush situation in thick stuff. Ended up following me for 3km after stand-off. One of the few times I wasn’t packing heat....those situations make you feel pretty insignificant.

Ron.C
08-20-2019, 11:52 AM
Great video!!! Good job on challenging him.

northof49
08-20-2019, 12:01 PM
Yes great video to have....he was definitely measuring you up and certainly took some time making up his mind who was who in the pecking order. You handled it perfectly....obviously. I think you said there was two of you which likely made all the difference. If only one of you he likely would have been more determined. Thanks for the share...great footage. It’s times like that I’m happy to be packing my 338 or 300.

decker9
08-20-2019, 12:56 PM
Yes great video to have....he was definitely measuring you up and certainly took some time making up his mind who was who in the pecking order. You handled it perfectly....obviously. I think you said there was two of you which likely made all the difference. If only one of you he likely would have been more determined. Thanks for the share...great footage. It’s times like that I’m happy to be packing my 338 or 300.

Ha, my girlfriend was behind a balsam patch boing business just out of sight of camp, but she was the one who seen the bear first and alerted me, my dog’s nose was going wild too, which had us on alert to begin with. We only had the one rifle, which I had in my hands (bear spray stayed on her belt after that)

I honestly thought about a warning shot, but if he decided to take charge at the shot, reloading and getting a aim might have been tricky, so I opted to just keep ready, just in case.

northof49
08-20-2019, 01:26 PM
what were you packing for heater?

Wild one
08-20-2019, 01:54 PM
See if this works, a few seconds in, you can see what he (I think) does with his throat.

https://youtu.be/8JMZlpotV1s (https://youtu.be/8JMZlpotV1s)

Yup that’s a grizzly going WTF are you doing in my berry patch like I was thinking :lol:. He is annoyed your there but not willing to pick a real fight over it. One of those situations the bears is trying to gage your reaction just as much as your trying to gage his. You acted no different than I would expect you use the F word less than I do

That can definitely escalate if it’s a bear with attitude. If it involves cubs or a limited food supply it’s a little more tenses. Odds are you know this already

decker9
08-20-2019, 02:37 PM
what were you packing for heater?

I had my T3 Swede along, with accubonds.

decker9
08-20-2019, 02:39 PM
Yup that’s a grizzly going WTF are you doing in my berry patch like I was thinking :lol:. He is annoyed your there but not willing to pick a real fight over it. One of those situations the bears is trying to gage your reaction just as much as your trying to gage his. You acted no different than I would expect you use the F word less than I do

That can definitely escalate if it’s a bear with attitude. If it involves cubs or a limited food supply it’s a little more tenses. Odds are you know this already

Luckily we didn’t see and sign of cubs on this trip. The ground was so thick with those little juniper berries, the bears are eating well. A dry year like last year tho, perhaps he may have been hungrier.

REMINGTON JIM
08-20-2019, 08:20 PM
Arctic Lake

I shot a couple of Bears with these and they High Tailed it out Fast and NEVER returned ! I first heard of them from the Camp Ground Boss in Stuart BC He shot Blackies and G Bears with them - Chased them off with Good Success ! RJ

stoneramhunter
08-27-2019, 12:27 PM
Im an avid sheep hunter and hunted most of northern b.c. with my pack horses and by foot mostly solo. Ive had several encounters over 50 years with grizzly. There are several rules I follow. i never shoot at a grizzly unless my life is in imminent danger not a good thing to have a wounded grizzly for no reason . At night when i set up a camp I place a string around my camp area and hang ripped up white plastic shopping bags off it. The movement of the white plastic bag strips disturb and confuse the bears and they retreat. if i shoot something I cut about a 10 ft stick tie a piece of flagging to it and jam it in the carcass. when i return with my horses or to retrieve another load by back pack, I look to see if the stick is moving or still standing. over 40 years of doing this it has let me know on several occasions that a bear was on the kill. Best of luck and success hunting

Arctic Lake
08-27-2019, 09:25 PM
[QUOTE=stoneramhunter;2112899]Im an avid sheep hunter and hunted most of northern b.c. with my pack horses and by foot mostly solo. Ive had several encounters over 50 years with grizzly. There are several rules I follow. i never shoot at a grizzly unless my life is in imminent danger not a good thing to have a wounded grizzly for no reason . At night when i set up a camp I place a string around my camp area and hang ripped up white plastic shopping bags off it. The movement of the white plastic bag strips disturb and confuse the bears and they retreat. if i shoot something I cut about a 10 ft stick tie a piece of flagging to it and jam it in the carcass. when i return with my horses or to retrieve another load by back pack, I look to see if the stick is moving or still standing. over 40 years of doing this it has let me know on several occasions that a bear was on the kill. Best of luck and success hunting[/QUOT

I have heard of the stick trick before , sounds like a good idea !
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
08-27-2019, 09:28 PM
I shot a couple of Bears with these and they High Tailed it out Fast and NEVER returned ! I first heard of them from the Camp Ground Boss in Stuart BC He shot Blackies and G Bears with them - Chased them off with Good Success ! RJ

RJ. Good to know about the rubber bullets ! The fella I mentioned I think is Boomer on GunNutz
Arctic Lake

Camp Cook
08-29-2019, 05:56 PM
I spent 7 years working solo as a self employed free miner in remote wilderness areas of BC, Alberta and NWT.

During that time I carried handguns legally was never without one also had my dog with me she woke me up a few times to deal with night time visitors.

The thought of carrying rubber bullets or pepper spray never once even remotely crossed my mind.

For a rifle I mostly packed a Marlin 1895GS in 45-70 loaded with either 350gr Swift A-Frames, 525gr Beartooth Piledrivers or 550gr Jae-Bok Young Craters.

wideopenthrottle
08-29-2019, 06:02 PM
I'll try to do this again.

It is well established fact that hunted animals have no less fear of people than UN-hunted animals.

Other than LBM, I don't know.

My comment was pure sarcasm.

wish I knew you better cuz I thought you were serious.....ever do a loud hand clap when a raven or crow flies by unaware of you...you can tell the ones that have been shot at before by the triple spiral evasive maneuver they do...heheheh

wideopenthrottle
08-29-2019, 06:19 PM
Just after day light dad walked us into an area where he hunted elk and even though I’d listen to dad practice with his bugle......I wasn’t prepared for the next 30min. We were up before daylight, had our breakfast and drove to our destination arriving just as it was getting light. We slowly walked the trail into the big meadow and got set up with a few trees as a blind. After a few quiet min of watching the meadow dad let out a bugle....200yds across the meadow a bull screamed back at us, after a few more bugles back and forth the wind changed and the bull went silent and disappeared. I wasn’t prepared for how electrifying that first response would be. I was scared, nervous and excited but most of all, in that instant I was hooked on elk hunting.

There is nothing like having a bull with in 20-100yds, screaming and charging through trees/alders to find a challenging bull or the cow that’s desperately calling out to him.......

I live in elkford which is pretty much dead center of the elk valley. As many on this site know we have a very healthy grizz population in this corner of the province. For the last 18yrs I have hunted elk alone more than I have with a partner. The last 6yrs I have spent a ton of time helping my son with getting his first 6pt.
With the exception of a few yrs where I didn’t buy a tag or just couldn’t get a shot, I have taken an elk every yr since my first bull when I was 19. Between myself, my dad, my son, my uncle and friends...I have been in on at least 30 successful elk hunts over the last 18yrs, 15 of those successful hunts resulted in my elk tag being cut.

Some of these bulls were standing in the open when we were driving, some were called into cut blocks with lots of visibility and some were called into close range through thick timber and alders. During 95% of these hunts I was packing a 270 with 130gr tsx......and not once did I worry about not having enough rifle in case a grizz was encountered.

I can honestly say that encountering a grizz is something that rarely crosses my mind. Yes they live where I hunt and I have seen them while hunting but if your more focused on grizz and what to do if encountered or being out gunned.......your missing out on a lot of hunting opportunity. After all how often do you actually see a grizz while hunting let alone get within 200yds of it?? Get out hunting.....be smart, be safe and if that bad encounter happens.....make the first shot count!!

of the 4 times I have been on 7+ day hunts up by bull river we have seen at least 1 griz 3/4 times, lost a deer out of camp off the meat pole one of those times

GreyDog
08-29-2019, 06:59 PM
I hike and hunt alone quite a lot and can't honestly say I've given it a lot of thought. I do like having a dog along. I'm currently dogless though so will not have that option this year. I have not used a tent for years and feel better in the open. At least I might see him coming! There are a lot of guys who are more capable and experienced than I but I'm still here too. GD

LBM
08-29-2019, 07:17 PM
I hike and hunt alone quite a lot and can't honestly say I've given it a lot of thought. I do like having a dog along. I'm currently dogless though so will not have that option this year. I have not used a tent for years and feel better in the open. At least I might see him coming! There are a lot of guys who are more capable and experienced than I but I'm still here too. GD

Ya its nice having a dog along and surprising what they can notice before you.

browningboy
08-29-2019, 08:17 PM
Bears can either be noisy ( walking and don’t care) or quiet as a mouse while stalking stuff, they are azzholes but that’s what bears do!
We are always cautious, however I’ve been in a few camps that leave left overs etc just lying around, just asking for it!