PDA

View Full Version : Camp stove suggestions

marcus44
08-08-2019, 01:29 PM
I just got an Cabela's Alaknak tent (13x27) and I'm looking for suggestions for a good stove (under $500). If possible maybe a pellet stove? I'm not planning on any cold winter trips, mainly summer/fall trips, in relatively mild weather, maybe temps around the freezing point.
Thanks

longwalk
08-08-2019, 02:11 PM
Davis tent makes a good cylinder style stove. A five gallon hot water tank with the stove should put you at your target price.

MRP
08-08-2019, 08:28 PM
Pellet stove??? The woods is full of wood.

Bustercluck
08-08-2019, 11:43 PM
I’m not a fan of a wood stove. They don’t burn long enough and it’s either 110 degrees with the door open or the fire goes out and you’re freezing. The one thing they are really good for is drying your gear out though. The last few years we’ve been bringing a generator and running ceramic heaters overnight. I’d be interested to see how those diesel furnaces perform for efficiency and heat.

MRP
08-09-2019, 07:33 AM
I’m not a fan of a wood stove. They don’t burn long enough and it’s either 110 degrees with the door open or the fire goes out and you’re freezing. The one thing they are really good for is drying your gear out though. The last few years we’ve been bringing a generator and running ceramic heaters overnight. I’d be interested to see how those diesel furnaces perform for efficiency and heat.

Generator and electric heaters? Unless its going to get way below zero in the tent, nope not for me. Good sleeping bag and cold air I'll sleep better. Even on summer trips with the travel trailer I hear other campers heaters coming on at night and its like +10 degrees out. Don't know how they can stand it.

Usually put a little wood in the stove at night and let it burn out. Then have a fire bundle made up to put in the stove in the morning, in 10 minutes all is toasty warm again.

Any wood sove and a good spark arester cap, or burn dry popular wood.

Elkaholic
08-09-2019, 07:43 AM
I just got an Cabela's Alaknak tent (13x27) and I'm looking for suggestions for a good stove (under $500). If possible maybe a pellet stove? I'm not planning on any cold winter trips, mainly summer/fall trips, in relatively mild weather, maybe temps around the freezing point.
Thanks

My family and I have been using a 12x12 Alaknak tent for years now, we love it and will buy another when this wears out. Get the best stove you can get for you money. But also make sure it has good damper's. Once you learn your stove you load it set the damper and go to bed. You will find yourself using the woodstove in it all year round as we do haha. Good luck. Great purchase.

Bustercluck
08-09-2019, 07:47 AM
Generator and electric heaters? Unless its going to get way below zero in the tent, nope not for me. Good sleeping bag and cold air I'll sleep better. Even on summer trips with the travel trailer I hear other campers heaters coming on at night and its like +10 degrees out. Don't know how they can stand it.

Usually put a little wood in the stove at night and let it burn out. Then have a fire bundle made up to put in the stove in the morning, in 10 minutes all is toasty warm again.

Any wood sove and a good spark arester cap, or burn dry popular wood.
I’m not afraid to sleep in the cold. I was out last year and it dropped down to at least -10 or better and I was sleeping by myself in an msr backpacking tent about 50 km from my truck. The worst part is putting your boots on in the morning, pulling them out of a nice warm sleeping bag and straight into a -10 ice box.

But if theres going to be heat, I don’t like wood stoves.

Ron.C
08-09-2019, 08:09 AM
Marcus, I am in the same situation. I have been looking at the Camp Chef Alpine stove for my 10x12 wall tent. Comes with stove pipe as well for about $329.

I still havent ruled out a propane heater like the big buddy, but really like the thought of a woodstove.

Im not looking to have 24/7 heat, but drying gear and having the ability to keep the tent dry is my main requirement. That said, we had a COLD late Oct deer hunt a couple years ago. Going to sleep in a warm tent and having the ability to start a fire in the morning would be nice.

Pioneerman
08-09-2019, 08:35 AM
I can not imagine anything other than a wood stove in a tent that will allow it. Unless a smaller tent with no stove jack then sure a Big buddy heater works and kicks out a lot of heat. Pellets ? You are going to pack how many sacks to the bush with you for a hunting trip, plus a generator that will be large enough to run the stove also, unless they make them that do not need a feeder and fan. Nothing will take the dampness away like a wood stove and also dry things the best also. I have heard of many different stoves still having a fire in morning, so no restarting, and warm all night. Plus you have fuel all around you no packing it in needed or packing out also. check out youtube

northof49
08-09-2019, 09:11 AM
^^^couple whisky’s before bed.....up 5hrs later to take a leak and stoke fire.....still glowing nicely and keeping the chill off come morning.

Ubertuber
08-09-2019, 10:11 AM
If you don't want to deal with a wood stove, skip the genset and ceramic heaters and pick up a diesel stove. They are quiet and very efficient.
I have a Geo-stove in my 12x14 wall tent. It heats the tent as nice as a wood stove. just light it and leave it.
There is a good deal on a H45 diesel stove in Craigslist right now.

MRP
08-10-2019, 08:34 AM
picked up this at yard sale for free. just have to make a door.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/PhotoPictureResizer_190810_071951914_crop_800x600. jpg

albravo2
08-10-2019, 09:09 AM
I've used a surplus US Army diesel heater and a homemade woodstove made from a beer keg. I like the ability to harvest fuel from the surrounding area but otherwise all advantage goes to the diesel heater. No sparks to ruin your tent, doesn't go out in the middle of the night, easy to start and TONS of heat on demand. They weight about the same but (obviously) you have to haul the diesel in with you.

boxhitch
08-10-2019, 11:47 AM

Any wood sove and a good spark arester cap, or burn dry popular wood. Best bop right there, key is having the starter kit ready for the morning
Light the stove, turn on coffee low, pull boots into sleeping bag , hit snooze

Our local Home Building Center has a wood camp stove on sale $180 ish iirc, decent looking unit, kcar not cadillac

Norwestalta
08-10-2019, 12:44 PM
I've got a Yukon 1950. Burns wood, coal or diesel. Love it in my wall tent.

Ron.C
08-11-2019, 04:15 PM
Picked up the Camp Chef Alpine at Cabelas this morning on sale for $270. Got it home, set it up and lit a fire at 1230. At about 1pm, loaded it up , closed the damper on the door down to about 20% and left it alone. Been going for 3 hours now with now, we'll see how long it burns for.

BackBacon
10-17-2019, 03:45 PM
Picked up the Camp Chef Alpine at Cabelas this morning on sale for $270. Got it home, set it up and lit a fire at 1230. At about 1pm, loaded it up , closed the damper on the door down to about 20% and left it alone. Been going for 3 hours now with now, we'll see how long it burns for.

hey Ron, how did it go? looking at getting one myself

Ron.C
10-17-2019, 04:13 PM
At 5 hours, was still throwing out some heat, but the wood had burned down. Its loaded in the truck now and will be on use on our deer camp in the east koots tomorrow night. I'll report back after the hunt.

338 whisper
10-19-2019, 03:00 PM
Home Hardware GSW wood burning stove. We use our in a TiPi Tent works great $100.00 +venting. Boiled water on it could not be happier with it.

Downwindtracker2
10-19-2019, 03:53 PM
Tin Airtights are called hippy killers.

Salmon Belly
10-19-2019, 05:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzXh2DBeC4A

Taylor69
10-19-2019, 11:13 PM
We had a welder make us a stove, added a gasket and it’s air tight. Go for a week we use one match, burns for a little over 8 hours. Wood stove all the way!

Marc
10-20-2019, 01:17 PM
I still havent ruled out a propane heater like the big buddy, but really like the thought of a woodstove.

Ron,

I have one if you want to borrow it for a try. I've only ever used it in my garage and it gave me a headache every time and burning propane for some reason causes an increase in humidity, guess its a byproduct of burning it.

boxhitch
10-20-2019, 02:33 PM
No surprise as burning 1 lb of liquid propane creates over 1 lb of water

Ron.C
10-28-2019, 11:32 AM
Just back from my first trip with a 10x12 walltent and Camp Chef Alpine Stove. Stove worked well burning standing dead timber. Got a fire going about an hour before bed with dry wood, damper open wide. Got a decent coal bed, loaded up two rounds "as big as would fit", closed damper. Fire burned out through the night but stove was still very warm to the touch in the morning.

My stove is configured with two 90 deg elbows tent side stove jack.

I was quite happy with this stove and the comfort it provided.

wideopenthrottle
10-28-2019, 11:40 AM
Just back from my first trip with a 10x12 walltent and Camp Chef Alpine Stove. Stove worked well burning standing dead timber. Got a fire going about an hour before bed with dry wood, damper open wide. Got a decent coal bed, loaded up two rounds "as big as would fit", closed damper. Fire burned out through the night but stove was still very warm to the touch in the morning.

My stove is configured with two 90 deg elbows tent side stove jack.

I was quite happy with this stove and the comfort it provided.
same for us pretty much but we keep a 3 gal pot of water with lid on the wood stove for a constant supply of hot water when needed as well as acting as a heat sink to make the heat last a bit longer

todbartell
10-28-2019, 12:22 PM
I use the Camp Chef Alpine stove in a 14x17 wall tent. I got the hot water tank too, works really good. Get up for a pee every few hours during the night and throw in another couple pieces of wood.

Brno22F
10-28-2019, 01:41 PM
Have been using a Cabelas Big Horn outfitter tent for a number of years now for our moose hunts up north.
For the first couple of years we had a hippie killer sheet metal stove. As far as I am concerned, the only plus to the hippie killer was its' light weight. It did the job and was cheap but the tent was either roasting or freezing. Damper control was very poor and it was a top loading unit so there was no good place to set a pot of water for wash-up or tea. Last year we upgraded to the Camp Chef stove. It works really well. Better damper control. Longer burn time, especially if you put a big round piece on just before lights out. It holds bigger pieces of wood than the hippie killer. Also has front loading and a nice flat top with side racks for warming stuff or drying nits/toques/socks if you like.
There are 4 of us in our hunting party. All of us agreed that the Camp Chef stove was the best gear upgrade we have made in recent years.

longwalk
10-28-2019, 02:26 PM
Just came back from an 8 day hunt. 12 *14 wall tent and cylinder stove. From setting up on a Friday and lighting the stove up, it never went out until I packed up on the following Saturday. Burned some dry fir but mostly larch. Draft closed about 80% and chimney damper adjusted accordingly, the tent was always comfortable all night.

Tron
10-28-2019, 10:11 PM
I’ve used kwik camp stoves and it was great. With the hot water tank. Google them

northof49
10-29-2019, 06:28 AM
Checked out some reviews and comparisons and the larger Kwik Kamp stove sounds pretty good

Ltbullken
10-29-2019, 09:09 AM
I have a brand new wood stove, haven't used it. Should work well in your size tent. PM me if interested.