PDA

View Full Version : Caching Water

Kuiper
08-07-2019, 08:11 PM
Hey Everyone,

I was lucky enough to draw the 8-03 September sheep tag this season. I will be scouting the area over the next month and plan on hiking in water to cache up high during my scouting trips so I can save weight later. How have you cached water for later use? Type of containers, ways to keep critters out etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Cheers

twoSevenO
08-07-2019, 09:12 PM
Congrats on an awesome tag!!

I have simply left water bottles behind and had no issue. I left them away from the trail, under a dead fall log near a cliffy section. Definitely out of the way of any large animal that might be walking by in that area.

If you anticipate lots of rodents, maybe some aluminum bottles or canteens. But i just did some good ol plastic bottles and it was fine

silvertipp
08-07-2019, 09:33 PM
Never needed to worry about it up the ashanola
take a good filter
several lakes to get water from

604Stalker
08-07-2019, 09:36 PM
Platypus filter you will love yourself for it rough country but worth the effort

Drillbit
08-07-2019, 10:56 PM
keep them in the shade.

have a plan B in case they aren't where you left them or something damaged them.

Kuiper
08-08-2019, 08:10 PM
Will do, thanks for the advice everyone!

HighCountryBC
08-08-2019, 08:47 PM
Tried the plastic bottle thing many years ago - bears love the plastic and will chew them to sh*t if and when they find them. Be prepared for that if that's your plan. Awesome area you're heading into. Scout it as much as you can and soak it in. With the fire last year lots of areas have greened up considerably. Sheep will always be found in their traditional areas but the fresh green is a good bet.

HighCountryBC
08-08-2019, 08:49 PM
Hey Everyone,

I was lucky enough to draw the 8-03 September sheep tag this season. I will be scouting the area over the next month and plan on hiking in water to cache up high during my scouting trips so I can save weight later. How have you cached water for later use? Type of containers, ways to keep critters out etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Cheers

There is a number of springs up there depending on where you are looking at basing out of.