PDA

View Full Version : Saskatchewan judge

BStrachan
08-01-2019, 09:45 PM
I read online today that a Saskatchewan judge ruled that all natives can hunt in Saskatchewan without a hunting license for moose. Course I dont feel that is fair but what do others think?

REMINGTON JIM
08-01-2019, 09:47 PM
Read it WHERE ? Link Please ! Thks RJ

Anonymous
08-01-2019, 10:07 PM
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/sask-first-nations-hunting-1.5233289?fbclid=IwAR3P85xANLP-pb-S_JwiorrcNaG40PbmAEl1Bb5pUImSQSitsAInud2VaRU

AlpineStalker
08-02-2019, 01:05 AM
The Crown argued Saskatchewan was trying to preserve game for its own native community, and an expansive view would have hindered that.

"There is no evidence, even now, that we have a problem with a large number of native hunters entering to hunt within the province," wrote Kovach. "It seems to me that this just wasn't a big problem and certainly wasn't something that one would allow to stand in the way of the deal."

Maybe not a popular opinion around here but I think it's a pretty fair assessment by the judge.

saskbooknut
08-02-2019, 05:15 AM
Locally, on the Manitoba border, it is a big problem now. The judge is ill informed.
The unintended consequence is to remove any possibility of managing Moose harvest by SERM.
I believe there was a possibility of negotiating a harvest agreement with First Nation treaty adherents within the Province, so that hunting was based on harvestable surplus, but now the gates are wide open. Moose populations in the forest fringe of Saskatchewan are already in deep trouble.
It is one thing to acknowledge that the boundaries of Saskatchewan do not conform to traditional territory, but another to leave big game harvest totally unrestricted.
No surprise, the Government of Saskatchewan will be appealing to a higher court.

338win mag
08-02-2019, 05:39 AM
The original intent of section 35 rights was so the King of England, or any other King, or any anti hunting globalist leader couldn't take the culture of hunting from Canada's indigenous, like the threat of hunting being taken away from the citizens today.

So then the courts come along and interpret it to mean another, thereby making itself an entity unto itself with nobody to answer to.
The addition of the UN and their articles being implemented by Trudeau, and in BC by Horgan will simply be another tool for our court system to use in defining Canadian lifestyle further.

It shows a different picture here in BC if the FN from Saskatchewan were to come here and hunt unfettered...surely whats good for the goose is good for the gander.....

saskbooknut
08-02-2019, 06:11 AM
As it is, BC has an issue with the International boundary vs. traditional territory of First Nations. The court has already spoken in the case of a US resident First Nations man hunting in BC.

dakoda62
08-02-2019, 07:02 AM
Needs to be challenged in the Supreme Court, however with Liberal judges Turdo has appointed the decision may stand.

Iron Glove
08-02-2019, 09:27 AM
Needs to be challenged in the Supreme Court, however with Liberal judges Turdo has appointed the decision may stand.

Of the current 9 Supreme Court Judges, 6 were appointed by the Conservatives.
With the soon to be retirement of Gascon, the next appointment will be by Trudeau based on the recommendations of the Advisory Board headed by ex Conservative Leader Kim Campbell.
One might then suggest that the present Supreme Court is still dominated by Conservative appointed Judges.

adriaticum
08-02-2019, 10:47 AM
Its time we started ignoring the "licensing" bull shit.

Bugle M In
08-02-2019, 10:53 AM
The original intent of section 35 rights was so the King of England, or any other King, or any anti hunting globalist leader couldn't take the culture of hunting from Canada's indigenous, like the threat of hunting being taken away from the citizens today.

So then the courts come along and interpret it to mean another, thereby making itself an entity unto itself with nobody to answer to.
The addition of the UN and their articles being implemented by Trudeau, and in BC by Horgan will simply be another tool for our court system to use in defining Canadian lifestyle further.

It shows a different picture here in BC if the FN from Saskatchewan were to come here and hunt unfettered...surely whats good for the goose is good for the gander.....

With the soon to be retirement of Gascon, the next appointment will be by Trudeau based on the recommendations of the Advisory Board headed by ex Conservative Leader Kim Campbell.
One might then suggest that the present Supreme Court is still dominated by Conservative appointed Judges.

Yes and yes.
It's going to get messy if things aren't made better soon.

adriaticum
08-02-2019, 10:55 AM

Supreme court has nothing to do with this.

adriaticum
08-02-2019, 10:57 AM
The problem lies in the perception that first nations hunt for food and the rest of us hunt for fun.
Until that perception changes, first nations will be getting a free ride to kill whatever they want and we will be restricted more and more in what we can do.
For that reason I would like to give 50 lashes to everyone who calls hunting sport and/or mentions the word hunting and sport in the same sentence.

Bigdoggdon
08-02-2019, 11:56 AM
The big concern here should be that this now sets a president that all FN can hunt anywhere in Canada at anytime

saskbooknut
08-02-2019, 11:56 AM
First Nations I Saskatchewan have a contractual right to hunt, it's called a Treaty.
The problem is how do we move to a harvestable surplus style management, in that legal framework.

BStrachan
08-02-2019, 12:37 PM
Read it WHERE ? Link Please ! Thks RJ

JR it was posted on a hunting forum on Facebook. I'll try and find it again for you.

Iron Glove
08-02-2019, 12:40 PM
Supreme court has nothing to do with this.

Read Dakoda's post that I referenced - he was the one that brought up the Supreme Court.
And yes, if a case like this goes the full route it would end up in the Supreme Court.

WhiteTailAB
08-02-2019, 12:49 PM
Its time we started ignoring the "licensing" bull shit.

Yup, agreed.

Spy
08-02-2019, 01:05 PM
The problem lies in the perception that first nations hunt for food and the rest of us hunt for fun.
Until that perception changes, first nations will be getting a free ride to kill whatever they want and we will be restricted more and more in what we can do.
For that reason I would like to give 50 lashes to everyone who calls hunting sport and/or mentions the word hunting and sport in the same sentence.

I have been telling you guys for years now, its not a sport, the word sport was and is used by the antis, now its coming back to bite us all in the ass... Oh but how you all agued with me I even started a thread a couple years ago to sound the alarm but once again was laughed at....

adriaticum
08-02-2019, 01:19 PM
I have been telling you guys for years now, its not a sport, the word sport was and is used by the antis, now its coming back to bite us all in the ass... Oh but how you all agued with me I even started a thread a couple years ago to sound the alarm but once again was laughed at....

No, I never argued with you. I know better :mrgreen:

Ride Red
08-02-2019, 01:53 PM

No, we laughed at you for supporting Horgan and Weaver :roll:

Spy
08-02-2019, 03:37 PM
No, I never argued with you. I know better :mrgreen:

Lol you are a character have a great weekend ;-)

Spy
08-02-2019, 03:39 PM
No, we laughed at you for supporting Horgan and Weaver :roll:

Lol I think Im going to have to start drinking after this ^^^^^^^^ quote, brings back terrible memories, thanks for the reminder...