PDA

View Full Version : Hunting help advice offerred..

srupp
08-01-2019, 12:16 AM
I truly enjoy sharing hunting help advice. .as its true no one gets there alone..nor ever have I.
I have had tremendous responses to my yearly offer..
More why and how..not so much..over by that tree...
I am getting ready for my wife and I holiday to Sheridan lake in a week..will then be hosting a bear client / friend from 30 years ago..when information was shared in writing..he actually still has my 30 year old reply...amazing. ..
I have several folks that sent emails and never caught up the JENNINGS lake area...
Couple on moose by 150 mile..
By August 10 I will be unavailable untill Detlef leaves mid Oct..then I will be busy mule deer, whitetail hunting for us.
Good luck to all, straight shooting and please be safe.
Hoping some of the chats have helped as LEH authorizations are becoming rare..and the opportunity to be cherished.
cheers
Srupp

BStrachan
08-01-2019, 01:23 AM
I have never gone mule deer hunting. This fall might be my first time. That is if I can make to my cabin on Ruth lake in late October early November. I have been throwing around the idea of setting up a blind to hunt from. In your experience Srupp what have you had most success with spot and stalk or hunting from a blind?
I have a good idea of a few places I could hunt from a blind in the area around the cabin.
I know the forest is quite think so maybe a spot and stock wouldn't be most ideal?
Have you had any experience hunting around Ruth lake?
Brian

Piperdown
08-01-2019, 06:22 AM
Have a great season Steve :)

Wild one
08-01-2019, 06:45 AM
Your definitely a rare breed Steve and the hunting community could use more people like you

Laurp99
08-01-2019, 07:21 AM
I never met you Steve but I appreciate all you do for the forum. We talked in depth several years ago regarding camping safety in the Chilcotin regarding vandalism and places to avoid, hopefully it's better now! Have a great trip and be safe yourself!!

wildcatter
08-01-2019, 08:26 AM
I have never gone mule deer hunting. This fall might be my first time. That is if I can make to my cabin on Ruth lake in late October early November. I have been throwing around the idea of setting up a blind to hunt from. In your experience Srupp what have you had most success with spot and stalk or hunting from a blind?
I have a good idea of a few places I could hunt from a blind in the area around the cabin.
I know the forest is quite think so maybe a spot and stock wouldn't be most ideal?
Brian

Hello Brian,
I am building my cabin in Forest Grove, but haven't hunted the area yet.
Maybe one day we can meet and talk a little about places to go there.
Cheers, Otto

dinsdale
08-01-2019, 08:33 AM
srupp.
Although I seldom post, I read all content of the site regularly. I must say that I look forward to your contributions, as they are without fail classy and informative. Thank you.

Bugle M In
08-01-2019, 09:14 AM
PM sent:razz:!
Thought it wouldn't hurt to ask about a few spots.

Ajsawden
08-01-2019, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the advice Steve. Hopefully my buddy does good with your information and we can send you some moose pictures as a Christmas present. Good luck on your adventures!

srupp
08-01-2019, 02:51 PM
Brian

Hmmm here spot and stalk with mulies..blinds for whitetails imo
Good luck
Srupp

BStrachan
08-01-2019, 09:31 PM
Hello Brian,
I am building my cabin in Forest Grove, but haven't hunted the area yet.
Maybe one day we can meet and talk a little about places to go there.
Cheers, Otto

Hey that would be fantastic! I know the area pretty well as I've been going there since 1979 as a child but have never hunted up there. There are a few old logging roads that have grown over that are good plus far end of the lake accessible by canoe we could hunt.
Where in Forest Grove are you building?

BStrachan
08-01-2019, 09:42 PM
Hmmm here spot and stalk with mulies..blinds for whitetails imo
Good luck
Srupp

I was wondering about that as the timber is pretty thick. Thx for your input Steve

Rombie
08-01-2019, 10:16 PM
Heading up to Sheridan on Monday! Any advice for hunting the area would be much appreciated, just got my licence last year.

Cheers

srupp
08-01-2019, 11:43 PM
Hmmm hunting what? In August? Only thing open is hares ? A lot of the area is burned on the south side, lots of private property on north side from hwy 97 to Sheridan is good moose when holding a LEH..deer are there but much better towards little fort end.
The BC Lions cheerleaders have a retreat up near there a bit later..always nice to turn the corner and encounter 30 young attractive fit ladies in flattering workout attire flagging a poor old hunter down..and I quote" willing to do just about anything for a cigarette "
Lol..never ever expected that..
More info needed..first post? Requires a joke....

If fishing Sheridan..ruby eyed leach all your deep sinking flyline out....row just fast enough to keep the line straight in 30 feet of h2o...
Cheers
Srupp

Rombie
08-02-2019, 06:42 AM
Just hunting beers this week but will be back up late September early October, Mule deer and grouse.

Arctic Lake
08-02-2019, 09:22 AM
Steven you have helped many members On this site very generous of you !
Arctic Lake

Weatherby Fan
08-02-2019, 09:54 AM
Ok Steven I have one small request, in the last few years I’ve passed up a lot of Mule Deer bucks in search of a big clean Typical Mule Deer, last year I snuck within 50 yards of a bedded 160 class buck and as much as I wanted to try out my newly GEF built 6.5-284 Ultralight rifle I passed......

In the past we would usually see one dandy every year between our family hunts but not so much anymore ?

Now where’s my best chance of finding that big typical in BC ?

Bugle M In
08-02-2019, 10:01 AM
Interesting how some always help.
I know when I was younger I was "super competitive".
Always was stressed driving up to my EK elk hunts and wondering "how many others" would be there and camped by the road closure etc.
And then I wanted to be the 1st guy awake and out up the hill so as to beat anyone to the possibility of finding "my elk":mrgreen:

But as I have become older, I have lost that and now just take it as it comes and try to relax and just do my best and not worry about who else is out there.
Sometimes use them to my advantage, I suppose.

But yes, some guys think it has to be "Top Secret" all the time!
Even talk to a few folks and asked if they belonged to HBC at all.
They all say "no".
They don't want to "share" their knowledge.
That's just how some folks are.

For me, if it wasn't for some people along the way showing me "other tactics" and "where", I wouldn't be anywhere near the hunter I am today.
Another thing with age also is you cant do some of the hunts you once could if you develop physical health issues.
So I suppose when that happens, it becomes even easier to share info.
But folks like Srupp are rare!

BStrachan
08-02-2019, 12:40 PM
Heading up to Sheridan on Monday! Any advice for hunting the area would be much appreciated, just got my licence last year.

Cheers

Best of luck when hunting season rolls around. No hunting in August but I am sure you are aware of that. Great fishing at this time of year.

BStrachan
08-02-2019, 12:42 PM
Hmmm hunting what? In August? Only thing open is hares ? A lot of the area is burned on the south side, lots of private property on north side from hwy 97 to Sheridan is good moose when holding a LEH..deer are there but much better towards little fort end.
The BC Lions cheerleaders have a retreat up near there a bit later..always nice to turn the corner and encounter 30 young attractive fit ladies in flattering workout attire flagging a poor old hunter down..and I quote" willing to do just about anything for a cigarette "
Lol..never ever expected that..
More info needed..first post? Requires a joke....

If fishing Sheridan..ruby eyed leach all your deep sinking flyline out....row just fast enough to keep the line straight in 30 feet of h2o...
Cheers
Srupp

Lmao are you kidding me about the cheerleaders!? If it's TRUE sure hope you didnt pull the same stunt as that movie dumb and dumber at the end when the bus load of girls stopped asking for directions...lol

BStrachan
08-02-2019, 12:45 PM
Just hunting beers this week but will be back up late September early October, Mule deer and grouse.

I love hunting beers! Sorry man had to get a dig in

srupp
08-02-2019, 01:46 PM
Ok Steven I have one small request, in the last few years I’ve passed up a lot of Mule Deer bucks in search of a big clean Typical Mule Deer, last year I snuck within 50 yards of a bedded 160 class buck and as much as I wanted to try out my newly GEF built 6.5-284 Ultralight rifle I passed......

In the past we would usually see one dandy every year between our family hunts but not so much anymore ?

Now where’s my best chance of finding that big typical in BC ?

Truly they are where you find em...lots of dandy bucks still being harvested near Princeton..Tunkwa lake area..and surprisingly Spenses bridge holds some 180 plus..
Really lack of pressure..usually tough up and down real estate..lack of access by indians shooting everything 371 days a year 24 hours day.
What I can put publically..dont stray too far from Fraser river breaks..
As far as cariboo region 5 send a pm..I will call.

Just dont travel in BC for mulies..

I do have a location that later in the season....can we say ...brrrrrrrrr
The migratory deer come through 1 small narrow pinch point valley holding 400 deer in 7 days heading to winter grounds..damn medivac helicopter flights helped lots..lo

srupp
08-02-2019, 01:53 PM
Lmao are you kidding me about the cheerleaders!? If it's TRUE sure hope you didnt pull the same stunt as that movie dumb and dumber at the end when the bus load of girls stopped asking for directions...lol

Yes..this really happened to me..true..still laugh....
Oh..for one more bad habit. .and one lonely cigarette..
Srupp

BStrachan
08-02-2019, 02:35 PM
Yes..this really happened to me..true..still laugh....
Oh..for one more bad habit. .and one lonely cigarette..
Srupp

Lol well sure hope I get that lucky this October...Next time send them my way to Ruth lake the Strachan cabin..is where I'll be waiting
Brian

srupp
08-02-2019, 03:11 PM
Hmmm lol I still remember it like it was yesterday..and the leader of the pack made sure her zipper on her track suit top was suitably low to ensure my complete and undivided attention as she bent over and leaned in drivers side window..
if only she realized im not good at multitasking..lol
All beauties..and all in fun....
Steven

randymac
08-02-2019, 06:45 PM
Hey Srupp
my son has a Sept. bull moose draw for 5-2b . We haven't been in that area since 2014. Any burnt out areas to worry about or any recommendations?
thanks
Randy

srupp
08-02-2019, 07:24 PM
Hmmm hey Randy..send pm with ph number..I will call...actually seen lots of sign and good moose spottings while in this area for 2 week bear hunt this spring.
Not much in the way of burned I have seen..but havnt toured the entire zone.
Normally sept is find the water. .= find the moose...rained every day. .every other day for 2 months!
Send pm with ph number..will call before my holidays.
Congrads on the draw..
Srupp

Mosin
08-02-2019, 07:39 PM
Hey Srupp
my son has a Sept. bull moose draw for 5-2b . We haven't been in that area since 2014. Any burnt out areas to worry about or any recommendations?
thanks
Randy

Back side of McIntosh lake and Tisdall lake.

srupp
08-02-2019, 08:03 PM
Back side of McIntosh lake and Tisdall lake.

Cant go wrong with either..the wolves from ducks unlimited pond south through jackpine rd..the old Grondein ranch right out at mcintosh have been obviously increasing..with all the huge cutblocks makes one wonder why? Its grown up to eliminate direct sight by wolves accross the cuts.but the tracks tell the story..
Still ...agree with backside of the lake.
Srupp

Rombie
08-03-2019, 07:33 AM
Yeah just fishing and family time this trip and thank you

srupp
08-03-2019, 09:49 AM
Yeah just fishing and family time this trip and thank you
We are staying @Sheridan lake resort..green kingranch 4 door truck, green canopy with boatloader and lund 12 foot tin boat,26 foot Citation travel trailer..black lab..will be there from 13th for 12 days..
cheers
Srupp

Mosin
08-03-2019, 12:07 PM
Cant go wrong with either..the wolves from ducks unlimited pond south through jackpine rd..the old Grondein ranch right out at mcintosh have been obviously increasing..with all the huge cutblocks makes one wonder why? Its grown up to eliminate direct sight by wolves accross the cuts.but the tracks tell the story..
Still ...agree with backside of the lake.
Srupp

I saw some Grizz sign just behind Macintosh lake, so be wary. Lots and lots of wolves by Tisdall lake, lots of old sign and heard em just howling off in a far distance all night

huff
08-17-2019, 10:12 AM
Hi Mosin my buddy has a moose tag for are 5-02 zone d. Do you have any intel on that area

Bullseye Bob
08-18-2019, 12:08 AM
Steven , what u do for the hunting people on this forum is outstanding and very helpful, I know this first hand from the sage advice You have given me the last two years with success in both years due to your help, thank u so much ,I wish u great success on your hunts this season.

albravo2
08-18-2019, 08:25 AM
Steven, I hope your health is improving and you are able to hunt like a teenager this year.

I chickened out on the place you suggested for me this year. I need more time flying up in that area before I'll be comfortable on a solo hunt. With my hunting success rate there is a fair chance I'd starve to death waiting for a break in the weather to fly out.

Weatherby Fan
08-18-2019, 10:00 AM
Hmmmm......come on Steven, I’m still waiting for the details on that 30” 190 class Mule Deer spot, I’m looking for a clean Typical to no junk :wink:

randymac
10-04-2019, 07:41 AM
Well we got back Sunday nite, saw group of 4 Grizzly second day, probably 3 cubs and mom but they were all very large. Saw different Grizzly third day. 2 different black bear sows with 3 cubs each and a single black bear. 2 cows, 2 UMO (Unidentified Moose Object), and 2 linx. Wet and rainy for the most part with some sun. Finally got frost wed and Thursday nite and had a bull come in to the call on Friday but he held in the trees thrashing a bit and then the wind shifted and he was gone without us getting a look. Saturday morning, last day of the hunt, called in a 5 x 7 bull which we spotted about 400 yards away around 8:30 on a rise moving closer to us but going to be downwind soon so my son closed the distance to a couple hundred yards and we had him quartered and hanging back at camp by noon.
Neither of the cows we saw had calves. Wolves were howling most nites a few hundred yards from our camp.

WhiteTailAB
10-04-2019, 08:14 AM
Wish I saw this thread sooner haha I'm going with my GF's Opa over the thanksgiving weekend, what advice do you have for a non-resident (me) in the quesnel area for white tail, mulies and bear?

Thank you.

joshbazz
10-04-2019, 09:07 AM
Hey Steven,

As a new hunter, just joined this site last year, I have enjoyed and appreciate your stories and advice. I am truly thankful of members on here like you, and others, who selflessly share information or give guidance. It really means a lot.

All the best to you this hunting season!