PDA

View Full Version : My LEH Bull in the W.Koots

mcrae
09-25-2007, 01:24 PM
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/sako555/Picture204.jpg

I decided I had better put up a pic and a story because I was getting allot of request via pm for a story:smile:

My wife and I went out on the 9th and set up camp in the area I was looking to hunt. I decided on an area that was basically two big logged area's connected by a well used game trail. The area was steep,thick,cool,well watered and the most important factor the cows were all over! The past 10 years waiting for a draw plus numerous hours bear/deer hunting in the area gave me pretty good insite as to were to look for the bulls:smile:

We headed out early on the 10th and spent the morning watching elk. We saw five legal bulls all in the 5x5ish range. I was in the first three hours of the hunt:shock: and really tempted by a really big bodied 5x5 but I decided to at least wait till the evening.
I am a meat hunter and not much of trophy guy so it was hard for me not to take any of these bulls. We had a close call with a bull we only got a glimpse of around 10 that morning as well. We managed to get him to come to a bugle but in the end he figured us out. We caught a glimpse of a really big bull heading into the thick stuff. I have no clue how to score antlers but he was a 6x6 at least and really wide.

We headed back for lunch and waited for it to cool down a bit. The temp was in the 25ish range at least and it was very dry and hot all over the valley. We decided to go right back to the same spot and sit and wait. The bottom end of the cut we watched was the upper end of a really well used game trail. It wasn't long before a skinny little 3x3 bull started to feed along the edge. We amused are selves watching him and mulies until just before dark a decent 5x6 came out. I watched this bull for a couple minutes and then decided I would get closer. I crept up and got into posistion at about 50 yards when I realized he was a very small bull. He had a really skinny 6x5 rack but his body just seemed quite small almost sickly. I left him to his dinner and went back to camp to have mine!

The next morning found us on the oppsoste side of the game trail. The plan was to quietly walk in the 4km to the back end along a logging road and catch them along a stretch of dark timber. We were about 2km in when I realized my wife was in some serious pain, she had been suffering from a really bad back and it was pretty apparent she couldn't go any farther. We decided to hunt 3/4 of the way up so I sent her back to the ATV and moved in another 1km. It was a pretty quiet morning and around 7ish I heard my wife coming up the road with the ATV. Like a smart gal she turned it off and came in the rest of the way quietly. We started cow calling and managed to attract a mulie doe? We sat for about an hour when the morning stillness was broken by that sweet sound of an elk bugle! I challenged back and that pissed him off. My wife and I then did our best to sound like a group of cows. It must have worked because this bull was coming for sure we could hear him in the timber coming our way and he was at least 1500 meters away...

I set up at the top of the clear cut near the edge of the timber. My wife stayed about 200 yards back and continued to work him in with the cow calls. It took about 45 minutes but in the end the bull walked completely broadside to me at no more than 50 yards. He never knew I was there he was completely concentrating on that cow. I took him with my .270 using 130 grain Barnes TSX's. The first shot was deadly but this being my first elk I put another into him. Lucky for me he never moved I dropped him where he stood.

I took me about four hours to get him all taken care of and I can say without a doubt it was a very hard chore dealing with an elk on my own. My wife was so sore she really could only offer moral support and hold the odd leg that was trying to get revenge on me.

In the end I realized I had not shot the "monster bull" but I got it with my wife, she basically called the damn thing in, and it was an incredible morning. We ended up with a full freezer and that in the end gentlemen is whats really important to me.....

Jason

Wildman
09-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Nice bull, great story.

newhunterette
09-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Now that my hunter friends is a great and beautiful story :)

Kudos to u jason and ur lovely wife on a job well done

Ali

alremkin
09-25-2007, 01:59 PM
I see from your profile you're in Nelson, so this must have been a hunt close to home for you? What were the odds of being drawn for this area?

Well you didn't get the monster bull, but this looks like a decent 6x6 to me and appears to be in good shape from what I can of him, I mean not horned and worn out from fighting in the rut. Elk is my favorite meat so looks like you're family is in good shape for meat for the next year or so...8-)

One Shot
09-25-2007, 02:11 PM
Congrats on your first Bull. Thanks for the story. It is nice when your other half can call them in for you. You now may be getting PMs to rent her out. LOL:grin:

brotherjack
09-25-2007, 02:17 PM
I'd call that bull a monster. I've never even seen one remotely that big in the wild, and I've been trying hard for 5 years now. Congrats.

Leaseman
09-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Great stolry and a great animal....:D

frenchbar
09-25-2007, 02:41 PM
Congrats on your first bull.great storyand pic.seeing all theese elk threads is making me want to take up elk hunting .thanx for sharing.

BlacktailStalker
09-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Hey good for you, congrats to both of you.

Fisher-Dude
09-25-2007, 03:30 PM
That is a beauty bull! Well done and a great story. Sharing it with your wife, the expert elk caller, makes it that much sweeter!

kootenayelkslayer
09-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Great bull, nothing wrong with that one. I must say I'm quite jealous.

HighCountry
09-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Way to go that's a nice bull congratulation.

Gus
09-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Wicked bull, good job!

Brambles
09-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Good looking bull Jason, congrats and give me a call when all your birthday parties are all done with and we'll get together. I have to go back to work on Oct 1 - 8 and then I'm off for basically the rest of the hunting season.

horsethief
09-25-2007, 07:47 PM
good bull for your first one

30-06
09-25-2007, 07:47 PM
id be happy with that for my first bull.thats forsure

RiverOtter
09-25-2007, 07:54 PM
That's awsome, good job.

RO

gameslayer
09-25-2007, 08:38 PM
Nice story good bull

mcrae
09-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the replies folks and this was a close to home hunt. It takes me 45 minutes to get into the area and its got some real monster elk in there as well as Mulies. As for the odds for this LEH lets just say I doubt I will ever hunt this area again unless I get really lucky! My wife is hoping for the draw someday as well so we can call in a big one for her!

The Hermit
09-25-2007, 09:27 PM
fabuloso!!!

mntman
09-25-2007, 09:28 PM
nice bull congrats

pitdog
09-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Nice bull. Great story.

lunatic
09-25-2007, 10:04 PM
Congrats on a job well done !

bosch
09-26-2007, 07:22 PM
I have been tryin for a six in the kootenays for many years now without success, have'nt put in for LEH yet there though, just on the island and finally got one last year...got a nice 6x6 rosie here but still no rocky mountain elk...congrats are in order on a great bull sir!

fin241
09-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Congrats on the great bull....great story too

martyonthewater
09-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Wife called him in? sounds like love , nice bull to both of you. congrats

Koot
09-26-2007, 08:28 PM
nice job.I wish I could get my wife to hunt with me!!Congrats on conecting with a nice bull.I've only been able to call in 5X5's this year so far.Maybe this will be the weekend.Sounds like a fun hunt.
Koot

browningboy
09-26-2007, 08:38 PM
Thats what dreams are made of!

BowsUp
09-27-2007, 08:29 AM
Congratulations. Whatever your wife used to call you in works on elk, too.

Elkhound
09-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Nice job Jason...congrats to you and the wife. I know you have wanted a bull for awhile now......nice to have an LEH in the pocket eh?;-) How is your mulie season going? Now that I am on this side of the water I must get up that way to hunt...I have wanted to for a few seasons now. Congrats again. Two thumbs up

mcrae
09-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Mulies... Not yet...

I need to buy a new freezer first the one I have is full of elk meat! Its a terrible dilema LOL...

Anytime your up this way just give me a shout!

greenhorn
09-28-2007, 12:41 AM
I'd call that bull a monster. I've never even seen one remotely that big in the wild, and I've been trying hard for 5 years now. Congrats.

You should start applying for the LEH tags on the Island, then you'll see bigguns!

Thunderstix
09-28-2007, 05:21 AM
Really great story and photo. Got my juices flowing for sure.