PDA

View Full Version : Day pack

BStrachan
07-29-2019, 02:29 PM
I know there ls going to be different opinions. I'm looking for a good day pack. Im looking at a badlands 2200 from Cabelas or the Cabela brand. I would love Sitka or Kuiu pack but unfortunately right now the budget isnt there for either of those brands.
Any comments good or bad are appreciated.
Thanks

Brian

Jordan f.
07-29-2019, 02:36 PM
I'd take a look on Rokslide. You might find a good used one (Sitka/kuiu) at a price you can afford

RugDoctor
07-29-2019, 02:40 PM
I have a 2200 and I love it. Good space and the buckles work even if you break one side of a clip. Not the greatest to find a bladder for if you’re going to....Badlands site they’re about $45 or so and shipping is about $50 or something stupid like that.

boxhitch
07-29-2019, 04:26 PM
Good idea, to have a day pack that holds what you need to carry and fits yourself with the hunting clothes under, better yet if it looks and feels like what you like, you're on the right track.

KBC
07-29-2019, 04:39 PM
Guys are starting to unload the exo K2 bags now that they have a new model out, I second the check rokslide comment.

Wentrot
07-29-2019, 04:56 PM
I’d avoid the 2200. When I first started out my hunting partner was kind enough to lend me his. I found it very uncomfortable with any weight. Definitely put your feelers out for a used pack.

Ron.C
07-29-2019, 05:02 PM
I used a Badlands 2200 for 7 years.
Pros:
Super well made, as are all badlands packs
quiet and low profile on your back,
AWESOME WARRANTY!!!!
in a pinch, can be used as a meat hauler, but not really something you will want to use it for often.

Cons:
Adjustability - I am a smaller stature guy and found it to be a little big for me. I lacks torso adjustment and at a 33" waist
As said above, can be uncomfortable if loaded heavy as it lacks adjustability

If you are just using it as a day pack, I'd recommend the Badlands Diablo Dos over the 2200. I find its a little more functional. Better pockets, rifle/bow carrier, super ventillation on your back in warmer weather.

BStrachan
07-29-2019, 06:30 PM
I'd take a look on Rokslide. You might find a good used one (Sitka/kuiu) at a price you can afford

K great thank you

BStrachan
07-29-2019, 06:34 PM
I used a Badlands 2200 for 7 years.
Pros:
Super well made, as are all badlands packs
quiet and low profile on your back,
AWESOME WARRANTY!!!!
in a pinch, can be used as a meat hauler, but not really something you will want to use it for often.

Cons:
Adjustability - I am a smaller stature guy and found it to be a little big for me. I lacks torso adjustment and at a 33" waist
As said above, can be uncomfortable if loaded heavy as it lacks adjustability

If you are just using it as a day pack, I'd recommend the Badlands Diablo Dos over the 2200. I find its a little more functional. Better pockets, rifle/bow carrier, super ventillation on your back in warmer weather.

Thanks Ron, I'll look at the diablo pack. This will be my first real good hunting day pack so I want to make sure I get something good quality but in my price range.

BStrachan
07-29-2019, 06:35 PM
I’d avoid the 2200. When I first started out my hunting partner was kind enough to lend me his. I found it very uncomfortable with any weight. Definitely put your feelers out for a used pack.

Hey went rot thanks for your feedback! Did it hurt your back or more so your shoulders?

Wentrot
07-29-2019, 06:58 PM
My back. I am rather tall though so it may have been a fitting issue. Regardless though, hauling a critter out with it wouldn’t be a good time IMO

Mixter
07-29-2019, 08:06 PM
I love my eberlestock gun runner pack

Keta1969
07-29-2019, 08:28 PM
I've had an eberlestock X2 for a day pack for several years. It carries all I need for day trips and has hauled lots of meat. Even has had bone in moose legs on it. No issues or break downs for some pretty good abuse. The longest pack out with a heavy load was around a mile. You knew you had a load but it was doable and could have gone farther. It was around 179.00 bucks but that's sometime ago. It has a rigid frame and I think that really helps a small pack when loaded heavy.

The Hermit
07-29-2019, 08:39 PM
I found the Badlands too hot and sweaty - poor circulation.

Frank grimes
07-30-2019, 06:35 PM
I’d look at finding an older used arcteryx bora 40. One of the Canadian made ones. Super comfortable and very well made. Can be used to bring first load of meat out as well. It’s a little heavy but durable.

Squamch
07-31-2019, 07:34 AM
I have a 2200, an older one. It carries all I want, but I wouldn't use it as a meat hauler. I'm also a tall skinny type guy, so lengthwise it's great for me at 6'2" but the waist belt is cinched as tight as possible on a 31" waist and it's not -quite- enough.
I would look into one with back ventilation though. It can be a bit warm, but I'm usually wearing rain gear anyway!

DeepJeep
07-31-2019, 08:58 AM
I have a badlands 2200.

Over the last 2 years I have taken on relatively small hikes with about 20lbs including the bag and it was comfortable.

Recently I have added weight to it, so total weight around 30-35lbs. I have done 6 hikes on the weekends over the last couple of months. Mt Seymour, Cypress, etc... and its been comfortable. I did not get any rubbing. I had to stop once at each of the hikes to take my backpack off and relieve some pressure.

I am 5 10" with a waist 34-35ish right now and there still is plenty of adjustment left at all points.

Bottomline: if you can find it at a good price (they rarely go on sale), get it. It wont be a meat hauler like a frame pack would be. but it does have a built in aluminum (?) frame. Tons of pockets- which I like as I can remember where all items are. I have gotten used to it.

See if you can try on some different ones. Mystery ranch is really good too.

Would I buy it again? I would definitely like to try others ones first.

And btw, warranty is awesome. I lost the waist buckle (both make and female)and they sent me 2 sets, just in case... I like that.

adriaticum
07-31-2019, 09:49 AM
Think of backpacks like shoes.
Would you buy one without trying it on?
I'd venture to say that many of us have a backpack we bought without trying that sit somewhere in a dark corner never seeing the light of day.

Salty
08-01-2019, 02:07 PM
I've had an eberlestock X2 for a day pack for several years. It carries all I need for day trips and has hauled lots of meat. Even has had bone in moose legs on it. No issues or break downs for some pretty good abuse. The longest pack out with a heavy load was around a mile. You knew you had a load but it was doable and could have gone farther. It was around 179.00 bucks but that's sometime ago. It has a rigid frame and I think that really helps a small pack when loaded heavy.

This. I've had my X2 for a half dozen years and no plans to change it out. I even paid a little less than that, todbartell had a real good sale on I'm not sure what they are now. With the aluminum frame design they convert to a not so mini pack board which is handy as hell I don't think I've seen another day pack like them. They weigh 5 lbs empty so there's lighter ones out there just triple your budget and I'm sure you'll be able to shave off 2 maybe even 3 lbs! lol But they probably won't have a rigid frame and they won't have the versatility.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0072/8173/7779/products/DSC_8215_1024x1024@2x.JPG?v=1563381831

(https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0072/8173/7779/products/X2HM-web_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1563381831)

Jrax
08-01-2019, 09:15 PM
I found the Badlands too hot and sweaty - poor circulation.
Same as above, and it feel apart after 2 weeks of hard bush use. Warranty was best part about it. Sold the new pack when it came in. Used exo would be great option.

koothunter
08-02-2019, 07:07 AM
I picked up a Mystery Ranch pop up 28 for $190 shipped. Used it to haul some antlers and other stuff around. Looking forward to this season with it. Really like it so far, and has the capacity to haul out quarters fairly comfortably.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
08-03-2019, 04:08 AM
I have had, for many years though I am neglecting to recall the specific date of purchase, Eberlestock Dagger hydration pouch as a daypack. Have subsequently added Eberlestock Mainframe molle pack frame and a small Scabbard, which I have been using recently for all kinds O' shite!

As has been said, not the lightest weight wise... While this is not a negative to me. I do find the heft comforting, many folks would find the diminutive Dagger shy on capacity/minimalist; I personally, don't share the sentiment. I dig Eberlestock + happily recommend!

tuner
08-03-2019, 06:37 AM
Eberlestock X1A3.

noth615
08-04-2019, 12:09 PM
5.11 Rush24,Worked Great for me!
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/101575/511-rush24-backpacks

BStrachan
08-07-2019, 09:48 AM
Thank you to everyone who offered advice and presented me with offers on buying their pack. I managed to find a pack that I believe will work best for what I want.
I ended up settling on a Badlands 2200
Thanks Sillygwillie ��