PDA

View Full Version : Fellow hunters on trail cams

Wentrot
07-28-2019, 12:37 PM
The other thread has me curious, have you ever captured another hunter on your trail cam? Rare occasion or happen a lot? Close to a road or a solid hike?

I have never had another hunter show up on camera but it seems some people think you are on camera anytime you step in the woods.

Wild one
07-28-2019, 12:47 PM
I have only had a pic of one person on cam ever. It was a surveyor flagging the right of way for a new logging road.

If you set cams in timber away from trails, and cut blocks odds are you won’t get pics of people if you are 100+yards in the bush.

Squamch
07-28-2019, 12:48 PM
I had a couple on a quad park and enjoy each other's company in front of a camera once.
Had a couple hikers with their heads down tromp on by once.
I don't have cameras in either location anymore either.

caddisguy
07-28-2019, 12:58 PM
Never had another hunter on trailcam but I did have a mushroom picker several years ago. And this year I had a couple campers who saw a bear and decided to try and follow it and they walked passed the camera.

That's it for about 7 or 8 years running half a dozen cams, mostly year round.

My cams range from 100M to 5km from roads. My two people sightings in almost a decade were both 100M from the road.

Firstblood
07-28-2019, 01:10 PM
I dont use my cameras much anymore but had one hunter on it. My buddies get people at least once a season. Last season I was hunting a good 5km from a road up high an the next day my buddy who lives an hour away texted me "hey so did you see anything up by that rock face"...... he got me on his camera waaaay in the bush, also know if a few regular satelite cams that I walk past regularly, still dont know who owns them.

Gateholio
07-28-2019, 02:02 PM
Got a pic of a mushroom picker once. It was pretty close to a road, but a little weird out of the way spot so I was a bit surprised, but not totally shocked.

LuckyHorseshoe
07-28-2019, 02:05 PM
Had one hunter on cam, he was nice enough to leave it alone even though he clearly saw it. Lost a cam to a 2 legged critter, fairly sure it was not a bear. Have come across a couple cams, wish I had my camera with to check the SD cards in them!!! Would never steal one.

ghunter4x4
07-28-2019, 05:26 PM
I have had people on my cams and there not close to any roads. i've also seen cameras that most likely got pics of me a long way from any road.

Salty
07-28-2019, 05:27 PM
Never a hunter but did pick up a couple silviculture guys in survey garb but they weren't flagging anything. Maybe a re gen survey or something. Anyways Kudos to those guys the direction they came from holey hell did they ever come through some ugly steep going.

HarryToolips
07-28-2019, 06:03 PM
Several times.....

HighCountryBC
07-28-2019, 06:47 PM
Happened a couple times on my whitetail cams as they usually aren't more than a kilometer or so off the nearest road. Never seen a soul on any in the back country.

Never been concerned when I've come across any in the bush. Try to avoid them if I notice them before I've walked passed, otherwise just give the thumbs up and keep on hiking.

The Hermit
07-28-2019, 06:54 PM
Mine are on private land all year, and about four or times a year capture images of trespassers.

wos
07-28-2019, 07:06 PM
Never seen a hunter on any of my camaras. I have 10 going with my hunting partner. I have only captured one human on my camera and it was my camera that is on my property monitoring my cabin.

twoSevenO
07-28-2019, 08:30 PM
Never, yet. I mostly run blacktail cams that are quite a hike in.

That's not to say someone hasn't spotted the cam, went through my pics and deleted the ones of themselves on it. Always a possibility ... but unlikely

snipersights
07-29-2019, 01:25 PM
I had a couple on a quad park and enjoy each other's company in front of a camera once.
Had a couple hikers with their heads down tromp on by once.
I don't have cameras in either location anymore either.

Pretty sure me and my buddies found your cam a couple years back, walked up saluted it and moved on.

77Gunner
07-29-2019, 05:10 PM
I was out hunting on this mountain a few years ago when I came across a couple of hunters. Not a popular area but quite productive. One guy I had run into years ago was in a talkative cheerful mood, the other younger guy seemed disappointed that there was someone else (me) in this area. We chatted for a bit and I told them I had shot a buck right in this exact spot last weekend and I was back for his brother. He asked if that trailcam 15 feet away was mine. It was placed right where the buck had tumbled down a hill and I had field dressed before packing out.
After i explained it wasn't mine we parted ways. On my way back through a few hours later I checked the cams sd card and saw the cheerfull guy making a funny face but didn't see myself at all. I couldn't understand how it didn't capture me as I was right in front of it. I guess I'm not photogenic enough. LOL.

jimzuk
07-29-2019, 07:52 PM
I have had a few people. 2 forestry workers, 2 hikers and 1 hunter. None of them noticed the camera. The only one that noticed the camera was a fellow on a dirt bike who waved at it. He was a good rider as the camera was up some steep rocky bluffs.

TyTy
07-29-2019, 09:22 PM
I had a father and son dou smiling and waving at a camera about 5 years ago. Met the fella this last winter while out having a fire with the family and got to chatting about the area. Fun times

358mag
07-29-2019, 09:42 PM
I might be the only one with 3 FN's on a trail camera walking -hunting in the day light , closest road is about 3 KM away . But full credit to them they just laughed ,gave a big smile and didnt try and steal the camera .

blackbart
07-29-2019, 09:48 PM
358 post pics or it didn't happen.....

358mag
07-29-2019, 10:04 PM
358 post pics or it didn't happen.....
Its on video and I have no idea how to down load it for HBC .

5jackz
07-29-2019, 10:07 PM
Yes , we have had other hunters pass by our cameras . Most of them are quite far in of the roads . Only had one stolen . We run around thirty in a couple diifferent areas , just in case of wildfires . This season we went into some very restrictive country that has major elk , moose and deer droppings . Seems though that someone else feels that we are trespassing on his personal CROWN land hunting area. He goes through and deletes all the pictures of ungulates and just leaves us pictures of the bears , cats and coyotes . Obviously a local that should know better . At least he places them back where he found them . He should not have deleted the pictures of us coming and going in the camera - dead giveaway . We still plan to hunt this area this season . Hope to run into this individual .

browningboy
07-29-2019, 10:27 PM
We placed a couple up Sunday summit, lost one and the other one had a guy taking a dump in front of it, just crazy, so after that different area with no problems since

slowjo
07-30-2019, 06:25 AM
just once in ten years. but, i knew the hunter, he smiled and waved. i moved the cam away from there.

Talltimber1
07-30-2019, 08:24 AM
No but i found a cam close to mine. Posted a picture on the Island hunting FB group and we have become friends and hunting buddies.

high and to the right
07-30-2019, 09:46 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7504&stc=1

Someone dressed up in this costume and chewed up my camera.

Andrewh
08-02-2019, 08:24 AM
I've had pics of me on a cam sent to me! I love walking by cams with animals on my back.

I knew where the cam was located SO I made sure I took that route back with a 4pt in the pack.

small world

Bugle M In
08-02-2019, 10:07 AM
We placed a couple up Sunday summit, lost one and the other one had a guy taking a dump in front of it, just crazy, so after that different area with no problems since

See, now that is an issue, lol.
I have always wondered at times, especially in higher traffic areas, "is it safe to take a dump right here":mrgreen:????

Hate to say it, but leaving a cam out in the middle of nowhere is going to lead to it being stolen, imo.
I know my buddy lost, or should I say, had it stolen up in the Pitt Lake LEH hunt a couple years back.

And yes, I suppose if some don't steal it, they will be tempted to open it up an look at the card if they have a camera along that fits the card.
Atleast it isn't stolen!
Saw it on "Deadliest Catch" where one boat "checked out" a crab trap or 2 from another vessel to see how the fishing was.

How do you folks with Cams feel about folks checking out your cards????

hparrott
08-02-2019, 10:15 AM
See, now that is an issue, lol.
I have always wondered at times, especially in higher traffic areas, "is it safe to take a dump right here":mrgreen:????

Hate to say it, but leaving a cam out in the middle of nowhere is going to lead to it being stolen, imo.
I know my buddy lost, or should I say, had it stolen up in the Pitt Lake LEH hunt a couple years back.

And yes, I suppose if some don't steal it, they will be tempted to open it up an look at the card if they have a camera along that fits the card.
Atleast it isn't stolen!
Saw it on "Deadliest Catch" where one boat "checked out" a crab trap or 2 from another vessel to see how the fishing was.

How do you folks with Cams feel about folks checking out your cards????

I would never touch another hunters cameras. Just leave it alone

mike31154
08-02-2019, 10:21 AM
I would never touch another hunters cameras. Just leave it alone
^^^ This. I stumbled upon one a number of years ago. Waved hello & moved on. Simple decency. Don't use them personally but have no issues with others doing so. It's a risk, shit gets stolen all the time in the bush. Vehicle break ins etc.... nasty.

Wentrot
08-02-2019, 06:19 PM
I’d never touch another persons camera but wouldn’t be pissed off if someone checked an SD card as long as everything was left as I had it.