PDA

View Full Version : To camo or not to camo...That is the Question!!!

Vini
07-25-2019, 10:55 PM
Hey All,

Though I would solicit you "Experts" on your thoughts about the effectiveness of camo clothing for hunting. I have read various articles and some conflicting. As I understand it, deer are color blind to certain colors. Can't remember which. So that has some merit. I have also read that deer see UV more than colors. So is camo really necessary? Where this is all started is because I want to do some blind hunting. During my research, some people are saying that it'd better to wear black in a pop up blind. So you don't stand out...I get that. Then I though to myself, I wonder if camo patters are actually that relevant to deer or is it just a marketing ploy? My research is conflicting. Lastly, for those of you that do not wear camo, can you recommend decent winter wear that is black and good for blind hunting?

Hunter gatherer
07-26-2019, 05:34 AM
Camo is overrated IMO. Deer pick up movement so if your still they probably won't notice you as much if you move they figure you out pretty quick. Check out the technical outdoor wear ,merino wool, at places like Valhalla. The high end camo is good but way overpriced,the low end stuff is crap.

S.W.A.T.
07-26-2019, 05:44 AM
Its only fashion. Many places require blaze orange. How effective do you think camo is when its covered in blaze orange?

firebird
07-26-2019, 06:05 AM
I believe ungulates can see blue like we see blaze orange. I guess it depends how close you plan on getting. If I’m bow hunting or ambush hunting I wear camo. If am expecting to take a rifle shot a few hundred yards IMO it’s not so important.

As for blinds. Keep in the shadow, meaning keep some windows closed

saskbooknut
07-26-2019, 06:35 AM
Camo is almost never perfectly matched to lighting and background.
Movement and scent are more important to deer. Camo only adds to concealment if you are motionless and its brigtness/hues match background.
Successful hunters wore red or green plaid wool coats for many years, myself included.

Wild one
07-26-2019, 06:51 AM
Black in a pop up blind is to blend into the shadows and often the inside of the blind is black

As for Camo being effective or needed. For waterfowl I would say yes camo is a big help. For big game when it comes to most rifle hunting conditions nope not needed. I don’t find camo as important at distances of 50+yards with a rifle you can get away with a lot as long as you don’t get caught moving. For in close hunting and bow hunting it helps in my opinion. When trying to get within 20-30yards a deer has more time to pick apart that strange object that is a little out of place so breaking up your out line is worth while. I don’t get caught up on pattern or colour but camo is handy to break up your outline when at close range

If I am hunting with a firearm I just wear comfortable clothes in colours that don’t stick out most of the time. Close range hunting I wear my camo to break up my out line. Pattern does not really matter and even an old Mac jacket helps. That said I have shot a deer at 20yards with my bow in shorts and a white wife beater :wink:

r106
07-26-2019, 06:52 AM
Camo is not needed, but i believe it can help. Movement is what gets you busted by the animal and camo can help " confuse them " for that extra few seconds but so does any other pattern that can help break up your outline. The other thing is most out door/ hunting gear is camo hiking gear is usually but not always bright colors.

Keta1969
07-26-2019, 07:12 AM
You can get away with a little noise or movement but your scent will get them moving in a hurry. Camo won't help with that. That comes from over 40 years of blacktail hunting and seeing some nice bucks hightailing it.

steel_ram
07-26-2019, 07:16 AM
Camo is just something that tickles the little boy in all of us. Some more than others. It's not necessary unless your hiding from humans or other animals that rely on vision as their primary sense. (birds)

caddisguy
07-26-2019, 07:16 AM
I'm not an expert at anything, but I think at most camo can give you an edge over some other colors, especially with a solid texture. I also think a red plaid shirt is equally effective as your most expensive camo giddy up. As firebird mentioned, I also think blues are something to avoid.

One think that always confused me about camo though... and maybe someone here has the answer or can confirm my suspicion. I noticed that when I hit my trailcams in low light, some camo jackets / pants reflect the IR and I glow like a 1000W light bulb. Other materials look drab like they should. I believe deer would see light reflecting off me just like the cameras. I am not sure if this is due to the specific colors, material or some kind of water resistance treatment. What I am getting at though, is I think reflectiveness (and or lack there of) could be 1000x more important than pattern break-up. A vibrant camo outfit at the store might look super cool and give the impression you will blend in, but it might also make you a disco ball as far as critters are concerned. I stick to drab washed-out looking stuff to be safe. Or maybe I'm totally wrong? Hope someone can weigh in.

In the fall I wear camo, but for spring bear I switched to jeans to see ticks better and it made no difference, but bears are often oblivious to everything anyway.

Boner
07-26-2019, 07:22 AM
I use camo to avoid other people, after I got scoped by a hunter while I was wearing normal clothes. I never gave the animals much thought on what they can see.

Ron.C
07-26-2019, 07:29 AM
No, camo is not necessary, but it can help you get away with some movement up close. Scent and sound control is more inportant IMO. Don't skyline yourself.

mastercaller
07-26-2019, 07:31 AM
Great question...I've spent over 40 yrs chasing critters, photographing them and being in the woods scouting. I used to take black and white pics of me in various setting's using various camo patterns. Some work well and some make you look like a blob which the critter pics out ASAP. Case in point, was bow hunting elk late September last yr, Was dark and over cast, raining with a little snow mixed in just o piss me off cuz I didn't have my raingear. I was standing in a tall grove of poplars, aspen and pine. Very dark in the bush so much so that I could hardly see my hunting partner 40 yrs away. I was wearing Kuiu Vias however was wearing a black overcoat that is somewhat raingear. With my back against a couple trees, a bull elk was walking 15 yrds of me, upwind, when he saw that black blob, he turned and hightailed it outta there. Earlier in the day, prior to the rain, had cow elk feeding all around me and within 5 yrds, got my wind and bolted.

I've worn green sweaters, grey sweaters, whitecoveralls, Kuiu, Sitka, old military blob patterns, leafy wear suits, homemade Ghillie suits, red/black and grey/black checkered wool coats and everything in between. This is what I've learned:
- when to move/not move is critical
- breaking up your outline is huge - never "skyline" yourself or be out in the open, ensure to be in front of trees/bush using the natural background to break up your outline
- our faces are like a lighthouse light - cover it up or tip your head down to use your peak to shield it
- choose silent material and fabrics
- know where you are going and your terrain - definitely some patterns better than others i.e. using the old treebark pattern on a prairie antelope hunt...did I mention blob :)
- WRT blind hunting, blackout or mesh, need to blend in with it, the surroundings and see point 1
- The most important still comes down to wind...they will smell ya before they see ya

Have fun

MRP
07-26-2019, 07:45 AM
Gray, green, black and brown. All I've used, never deliberately bought camo any thing.
I have thought about a dark slip on mask like the highway bikers use.

browningboy
07-26-2019, 08:41 AM
I buy it so no one can see me while on my atv

jac
07-26-2019, 01:22 PM
I buy high quality hiking gear in earth tones Playing the wind is the key to success

Redthies
07-26-2019, 01:23 PM
I have shot a deer at 20yards with my bow in shorts and a white wife beater :wink:

Now THAT is hunting!

I wear camo for waterfowl, turkey and if I’m still hunting whitetail. Otherwise, just basic tan, brown or green earth tones are fine.

chris
07-26-2019, 02:34 PM
I wear camo quite often because the product I want happens to be camo. I dont buy clothes because they are camo. I quite often hunt in blue Jean's and a sweater. I dont think it makes any difference. I think movement gives us away, not our clothing.

HankBC
07-26-2019, 03:16 PM
I wear a lot of sitka clothing for the performance and to support a hunting company. I feel like the success would be the same in other quality hiking / mountaineering clothes in solids. So long as they aren't noisy! As some others have said it mainly seems to be breaking up your silhouette and not getting caught moving. I try to find more solid hunting gear so I can use it year round and not have to talk to all the hikers about what it is I'm doing out there. Just my .02

Darksith
07-26-2019, 04:34 PM
Camo for most animals simply breaks up our silhouette. Only reason they put leaves and make it try to match background colors is for human selling features and probably a very small group of animals. This is what I understand it. So things like plaid work just as well, they just aren't as flashy. So camo is helpful, but it could generally for deer/elk/moose be any color, but it just makes it harder for them to see your outline

Firstblood
07-26-2019, 06:05 PM
There was a very indepth sudy done by the US military, this was after it adopted the digi camo pattern for all its systems. The very indepth study found that digi camp sucks the big one better than any other. Very detailed camp patterns only work when you look at it up close, from any distance more than 20yds it all blends together and it is a blob as many have mentioned. Camp patterns with larger blocks, blobs and distinct colour breaks actually do break up the outline when youre sitting still. This is my favourite camo pattern for a majority of my hunting, its wool, its not expensive, it works. https://i.imgur.com/NNCA4WU.jpg

fuzzybiscuit
07-26-2019, 06:14 PM
Cool. Reminds me of my mom’s Leopard print dinner jacket. I’ll have to see if it fits me next time I’m home...

Wild one
07-26-2019, 06:20 PM
Cool. Reminds me of my mom’s Leopard print dinner jacket. I’ll have to see if it fits me next time I’m home...

Next hunting success pics from you better include a leopard print dinner jacket or I am going to be thoroughly disappointed :razz:

caddisguy
07-26-2019, 06:25 PM
Next hunting success pics from you better include a leopard print dinner jacket or I am going to be thoroughly disappointed :razz:

What my leopard speedo picture wasn't good enough for you? Ouch :(

Wild one
07-26-2019, 06:30 PM
What my leopard speedo picture wasn't good enough for you? Ouch :(

I don’t want to know and if I seen such a pic it was so disturbing and traumatic that my mind has repressed the memory to the point it no longer exists

you sir sir are a sick sick little man :shock:

Huevos
07-26-2019, 06:40 PM
Camo makes for better hunting pictures... When I guide, I wear it so the client can't blame what I am wearing if he doesn't get an animal, but for most hunts, not a necessity. My wife says she prefers camo because it helps the blood stains blend in...

Firstblood
07-26-2019, 06:44 PM
Ive taken as much game in blaze orange or a mixed colour plaid as camo, but had a friend take some photos of me wearing different patterns, different materials and what not. The above camo worked the best to break up the outline and blend in where I hunt. second was a green red beige plaid. its not about looking like a tree or a "realtree"..... its about breaking up your outline and staying still.

Foxton Gundogs
07-26-2019, 07:26 PM
For years we hunted waterfowl in a green hat, tan Pioneer "Bone Dry" and black hip boots. Big game was red hat, red Plaid Mac and jeans. we did alright. I believe that camo is an advantage in waterfowl hunting and maybe in a deer hide/blind. My camo for big game usually consists of a Stanfield and jeans. Worked well so far.

Gateholio
07-26-2019, 07:34 PM
Camo helps hide you from other humans, that's a major plus to me.

elknut
07-26-2019, 07:39 PM
Wash your hunting clothes in Sportwash and then after they are dry spray them with UV killer ..All laundry soaps leave a UV brightner on the washed clothes ...All game animals can see this and will definitly spot you because you stand out ..We dont see the UV's ..Movement is picked up by game and humans ..stealth is key ..Noisy clothes also draw attention ..Wool is king as is polyester because its quiet ...Dennis

wildcatter
07-26-2019, 07:41 PM
Camo helps hide you from other humans, that's a major plus to me.

That's why I wear it.

Danny_29
07-26-2019, 07:47 PM
Big believer in camo. Rifle hunting not so much, have definetly shot more in solid blaze orange than anything else. When bow hunting and you have to make that final movement to draw camo can buy you the extra seconds you need to seal the deal.

scoutlt1
07-26-2019, 07:51 PM
Stay quiet, move as little as possible, and most importantly watch the wind.

Do that and you can be successful even if you wear a clown suit (or a leopard skin coat if that's your next best option).

I'll pass on the pictures fyi..... :)

Salty
07-26-2019, 08:25 PM
Whatever you do make sure it matches your truck. Don't be that guy with 2 grand worth of Sitka gear on that's in another colour spectrum from your metallic slate Z71, that just will not cut it.

fuzzybiscuit
07-26-2019, 09:17 PM
Whatever you do make sure it matches your truck. Don't be that guy with 2 grand worth of Sitka gear on that's in another colour spectrum from your metallic slate Z71, that just will not cut it.

Camo seat covers in Elevated Ambush. Smokin’ idea Salty...! You the man...!

I tried going the other way and matching my hunting cloths to the black leather in my truck...but just ended up looking like that biker guy from the Village People....oh, and deer can still run when they’re laughing...!

Vini
07-27-2019, 07:17 AM
Thanks everyone. Since I already have the full camo gear, I'm leaning towards some darker earth tone hiking gear that will be dual purpose, hiking and hunting. I'm not the educated on the good brands, so please make your suggestions. THe clothing needs to be warm, quiet and potentially water proof/resistant. Mucho gracias

Fallkniven
07-27-2019, 09:21 AM
There's no need for camo, I have always used Greens and Browns and had great success. Movement/scent/Sound is the key to stealth. Bear in mind it takes a lot of brain power to distinguish individual objects from complex backgrounds (like a wood land environment) Humans can do it, but deer have a tiny amount of processing power compared to us, they simply can't do it, so have evolved a system based on instant flight triggered by movement or scent or aberration. If you stand still and there is no scent/movement/sound or unnatural aberration, a deer simply can't identify you from the background......but as soon as you move...

gamehunter6o
07-27-2019, 11:45 AM
Camo is not needed, but i believe it can help. Movement is what gets you busted by the animal and camo can help " confuse them " for that extra few seconds but so does any other pattern that can help break up your outline. The other thing is most out door/ hunting gear is camo hiking gear is usually but not always bright colors.

Quite right. It's movement that animals pick up so just freeze.
You really only need camo if you are doing something the CO might object to.

mpotzold
07-27-2019, 12:21 PM
Hey All,

Though I would solicit you "Experts" on your thoughts about the effectiveness of camo clothing for hunting. I have read various articles and some conflicting. As I understand it, deer are color blind to certain colors. Can't remember which. So that has some merit. I have also read that deer see UV more than colors. So is camo really necessary? Where this is all started is because I want to do some blind hunting. During my research, some people are saying that it'd better to wear black in a pop up blind. So you don't stand out...I get that. Then I though to myself, I wonder if camo patters are actually that relevant to deer or is it just a marketing ploy? My research is conflicting. Lastly, for those of you that do not wear camo, can you recommend decent winter wear that is black and good for blind hunting?

I've been hunting in BC since the mid 60's & have never used camo & probably never will because I don't hunt bears &/or waterfowl. I always wore something red & have been fairly successful approaching & shooting deer & moose over the years.

The other important factor is that one can be easily seen by another hunter when wearing hunter orange or something red.

Vini
07-28-2019, 07:50 AM
I appreciate all of your comments. Keep them coming. One thing that I will definitely invest in is some sort of head cover mask. I have read a fair amount about this and there seems to be a consensus that the human face is like the light of a light house.

I'm still really interested in your suggestions for good hiking gear that I can use for hunting. I will be hunting a variety of situations from alpine still hunting in early season to spot and stock in the late season. From warm weather to rain/snow. I do know about layers so you do not need to educate me about that. So weather resistant and silent is key

Thank you in advance

Salty
07-30-2019, 08:14 PM
Camo seat covers in Elevated Ambush. Smokin’ idea Salty...! You the man...!

I tried going the other way and matching my hunting cloths to the black leather in my truck...but just ended up looking like that biker guy from the Village People....oh, and deer can still run when they’re laughing...!

Hey we're an inclusive group here fuzzy if you wanna rock the leather guy from the Village People you go. *snork!* lol

Seriously though being the confirmed road hunter that I am I have stepped out of the truck and only taken a step or two and shot a deer or four in the past. I think they should start making one colour cammo, dead matches for truck colours. Hey you can get a perfect match canopy made I'm sure they could match clothing! How frickn stealth would that be, see a deer get out of the truck and - wtf the deer says, I heard the door open but I can't see the guy, he's still in the truck I guess... boom!

HarryToolips
07-30-2019, 09:23 PM
Deer, like humans, will pick up on movement first, that is number one...but what camo does is break up patterns, so yes many people have been successful hunting without camo, but camo does give that subtle advantage...

twoSevenO
07-30-2019, 10:09 PM
Camo is kind of gay. Next thing you know you'll be taking up bow hunting

:D

srthomas75
07-31-2019, 06:36 AM
[QUOTE=twoSevenO;2107076]Camo is kind of gay. Next thing you know you'll be taking up bow hunting with rainbow stickers all over your gear

:D

downsouth204
07-31-2019, 09:45 AM
Salty - you hit the nail right on the head! Camo needs to match the truck.... I work at Great North Precision in Kelowna here, and can help out with the Sitka Gear, but you'll have to go to an outfit like Sign Craft for the matching truck decal job :)

Bugle M In
07-31-2019, 09:46 AM
I like my camo.
It's made to handle the rain or cold temps and dry quick etc.
Way better than what was out there when I started as a kid.

Wearing wool gear etc, that is not camo is fine also, as folks hunted that way for years before camo gear came out.
Only issue is my skin doesn't like wool etc so thankfully I have other options, but they just happen to be camo colored.

Scent is first, so watch the wind.
Sound is second, so move slow and as quiet as possible.
If in direct sight line of deer, "don't move a hair"!!!
(might take 5 minutes or more of being completely still, but as long as points 1 and 2 are kept in check, the deer will settle down).
That's about all you can do when it comes to stalking.

Bugle M In
07-31-2019, 09:48 AM
Salty - you hit the nail right on the head! Camo needs to match the truck.... I work at Great North Precision in Kelowna here, and can help out with the Sitka Gear, but you'll have to go to an outfit like Sign Craft for the matching truck decal job :)

Yup, but I asked a fellow in front of Cabela's one day about his brand new Ram all done in digital camo and the cost to do it.
3,500.00$ plus!!! to do it.
I have better things to do with my money than wasting it on that.

steel_ram
08-01-2019, 10:19 AM
Camo is kind of gay. Next thing you know you'll be taking up bow hunting :D

Especially those matching little short "bows", with rangefinder sights and release aids. Probably the same kind of guy that insists on always backing their trucks into parking spots.

Laurp99
08-01-2019, 11:05 AM
I have several Camo jackets, pants and raingear but agree with everyone that it's not needed, Camo in White for Winter hunting to help break up the pattern and blend in.
I like my camo as it keeps me dry and warm, I could have just used my hiking clothing for hunting but most of that is in various shades of blue and makes noise when I move.

I picked up a Ghillie suit for hunting this year, will see how this works out. :razz:

https://gallery2.flybc.ca/d/85032-1/Ghillie+Suit.JPG

HarryToolips
08-01-2019, 01:02 PM
^^^^lol I'm always too afraid to wear mine, as I'm afraid someone will mistake me for a bear or a samsquanch...

Bugle M In
08-01-2019, 01:27 PM
I have several Camo jackets, pants and raingear but agree with everyone that it's not needed, Camo in White for Winter hunting to help break up the pattern and blend in.
I like my camo as it keeps me dry and warm, I could have just used my hiking clothing for hunting but most of that is in various shades of blue and makes noise when I move.

I picked up a Ghillie suit for hunting this year, will see how this works out. :razz:

https://gallery2.flybc.ca/d/85032-1/Ghillie+Suit.JPG

And then we wonder why some folks said they just saw a Sasquatch!!
Becoming all crystal clear now!

Laurp99
08-01-2019, 01:53 PM
That is why I purchased a blaze orange cap to wear with the suit, I think it'll look a bit silly but I think it will work, I've seen hunters in these suits and you have to look hard to identify them, the suit also comes with a rifle cover so you're well hidden! With the suit, I can basically sit anywhere, sometimes it's hard to find enough material to build a natural blind to hide behind but this should work nicely.

Bugle M In
08-01-2019, 02:14 PM
^^^^Fair Enough, orange hat is good idea.
But those suites always remind me of this pic below (been on the site before somewhere, still makes me crack up every time.)
https://i.imgur.com/DeWkNtS.png

wildcatter
08-03-2019, 11:36 AM
I appreciate all of your comments. Keep them coming. One thing that I will definitely invest in is some sort of head cover mask. I have read a fair amount about this and there seems to be a consensus that the human face is like the light of a light house.

Thank you in advance

Camo burka?8)

mpotzold
09-22-2021, 10:05 PM
I've been hunting in BC since the mid 60's & have never used camo & probably never will because I don't hunt bears &/or waterfowl. I always wore something red & have been fairly successful approaching & shooting deer & moose over the years.

The other important factor is that one can be easily seen by another hunter when wearing hunter orange or something red.

2 hunters mistakenly shot recently:cry:

1.)

31 year old bow hunter shot by a .50 caliber black powder rifle & killed in Colorado by an elk hunter last Friday.
The bow hunter was wearing dark brown camouflage(allowed),not hunter orange.
https://www.durangoherald.com/articles/arrest-affidavit-details-fatal-hunting-incident-in-dolores-county/

2.)

A 74 year old Alaskan moose hunter shot Sept. 11- later died in hospital
https://dailydispatch.dps.alaska.gov/Home/DisplayIncident?incidentNumber=AK21106567
Read that Alaska doesn’t require hunter orange.

sames14
09-22-2021, 10:56 PM
I buy camo so it separates my hunting gear with hiking, fishing and camping gear. I just go to the closet and grab everything in camo and throw it in the camper closet and that way I know I have everything covered. Not too concerned about the overall camouflage patterns etc. Most of the time I end up getting blood on the same clothes I drove up in. LOL

butthead
09-23-2021, 05:02 AM
driving around in the truck all day
no need for camo

browningboy
09-23-2021, 06:19 AM
I have Sitka gear, it’s good and is long lasting, bought most of it from wholesale sports and it’s still like new so you pay more but it lasts.

walks with deer
09-23-2021, 06:22 AM
Myself and my family kill alot of deer. Orange man orange.

browningboy
09-23-2021, 06:25 AM
Myself and my family kill alot of deer. Orange man orange.

That’s because you walk with them… unfair advantage jj

dapesche
09-23-2021, 07:09 AM
I use camo. It obviously helps but isn't required.
There seems to be this group of folks who attempt to be cool or super hardcore by saying camo is lame. Likely to support their believe that they are so good they don't need camo.

Camo absolutely helps. Especially if you're hunting in close quarters with an animal. If you're in open country and shooting at distance than I think the choice to not use camo is a much easier one.
Here in the West Kootenays where a lot of your interactions with animals are within 100-150 yds I'd argue that you need some sort of camo. Even just a shirt. I just got busted by a bull at 25 yds and it wasn't till he saw my white face that he spooked. He still followed my down the mtn in think 2nd growth thinking I was a bull pulling a cow away. That's after being about 8-10yds from me and seeing my movement through a few young pines and firs.

Extra bonus of camo is that you reduce the usage and extend the life of your gear because you won't wear camo as much around town. I have a few pair of hiking pants prana zions and arcteryx that I used to use for both hunting and around town but now they are so dirty I have to only use them around the house or hunting. If I had a dedicated pair of camo hunting pants previously, I would've resisted the temptation to use my hiking pants and not have ruined them.

Almost like having work clothes or dress pants and button up shirt. If you wear them to work only, that set up can last you years but if you wear those same clothes both at work and around town/the house then you'll burn through them quicker.

I see camo as my work clothes and I only use them to hunt and I'll be using them for a long time.

So I really don't look at the camo debate as a 'is it needed or not'... I put on the camo and it's business time :)

DarekG
09-23-2021, 07:38 AM
I see camo as my work clothes and I only use them to hunt and I'll be using them for a long time.

So I really don't look at the camo debate as a 'is it needed or not'... I put on the camo and it's business time :)

Exactly what I came to say.

Harvest the Land
09-23-2021, 08:09 AM
No camo for this guy. I get all my hunting clothes from Value Village and look for the green, grey, light brown wool pant bottoms from old school 70's style suits. Super comfortable, quiet, warm, very water resistant and dry quickly. And they only cost $5-$10 bucks per pair.

I don't think camo is at all necessary to get into bow range, but if it gives you more confidence then fill your boots - whatever it takes to put meat in the freezer.

Can't stand wearing orange either - don't like to give away my location to others.

But I will absolutely slap on my orange toque if I've got a set of antlers or a bear hide Protruding from my pack; or if im hunting in really flat open country where there's no timber or hills to absorb any stray bullets

Treed
09-23-2021, 08:25 AM
Gortex rain gear made by companies like Arc’teryx is way louder than Sitka’s gear. I finally got camo after years of using my typical field gear for the bush. I’m way more comfortable now and quieter. Mind you, twice I’ve had deer come up to me within 10 m while I was wearing a cruiser vest and hard hat. I stayed completely still and it wasn’t until they winded me that they realized what I was and took off. So camo is not the be all and end all. I do like watching hunters walk by me with no clue that I’m there.

brian
09-23-2021, 02:52 PM
Deer detail vision absolutely sucks. They are functionally blind by human standards. They are really sensitive to motion and have an insanely wide field of vision. I feel very confident not wearing camo and hunting at close range.

on a side note, I raise sheep that just about have the same vision as deer. Every lambing season I draw the mama ewe into a safe barn by taking her lambs and getting her to follow me. At first I would just hold them in close to my body and the ewe would run around kind of freaked out. She could hear her lamb but not find it no matter how close she was to me. I learned that I had to hold the lamb out at arms length so she could see it’s silhouette in order for her to follow me properly. Their detail vision is truly terrible. Move, make a sound, or get winded and they have the advantage.

brian
09-23-2021, 02:54 PM
I also don’t worry much about the noise made by rain gear. It’s all pretty quiet once it’s raining hard enough for me to bother using it.

MOOSE MILK
09-23-2021, 08:41 PM
I have pictures of my Dad and a bunch of buddies with lots of deer in the days when they used .303's,'94's and 12 gages, scopes? what are they?
Not one of these gentlemen are wearing camo, some are wearing wool red checker pattern, most are just in their work clothes.

These days it seems like you can't buy hunting clothing that isn't camo.
MM

srthomas75
09-23-2021, 09:01 PM
I'm not a camo fan myself but I also don't have a strong opinion against it. Without being a wildlife myself I have no idea if the animals have an advantage over my stanfield or a realtree coat? The camo patterns seem to be doing well for the marketing of the hunting apparel companies. maybe that's what it is more than function. keeping up with the Jones' of the hunting community.
I know that camo patterns work at hiding things from my eyes [ a guy sitting in the trees dressed up versus the guy sitting in brighter clothing ] but I'm not sure if wildlife views it the same?

Blacktail1
09-23-2021, 09:20 PM
Honestly I’ve snuck up on deer wearing my halli Hanson rain gear as if I were invisible. Camo is not the be all end all.

mpotzold
09-23-2021, 10:02 PM
I have pictures of my Dad and a bunch of buddies with lots of deer in the days when they used .303's,'94's and 12 gages, scopes? what are they?
Not one of these gentlemen are wearing camo, some are wearing wool red checker pattern, most are just in their work clothes.

These days it seems like you can't buy hunting clothing that isn't camo.
MM

SEE POSTS # 3 & #35 north of Germansen

#3-I always wear something red when hunting so I can be seen by other hunters.
The biggest moose we ever got. I was 6’1” & 200 lbs.
3 years earlier in 1969 in the same area (see post #35) shot the moose with a .303
Moose hunting pics! (huntingbc.ca) (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?152867-Moose-hunting-pics!&highlight=germansen+landing+moose)

https://oi361.photobucket.com/albums/oo52/cariboo_2008/Morris_1972.jpg~original

https://oi1305.photobucket.com/albums/s558/land51/001_zpshjsiwv6z.jpg~original

MichelD
09-23-2021, 10:07 PM
No camo for this guy. I get all my hunting clothes from Value Village and look for the green, grey, light brown wool pant bottoms from old school 70's style suits. Super comfortable, quiet, warm, very water resistant and dry quickly. And they only cost $5-$10 bucks per pair.

I don't think camo is at all necessary to get into bow range, but if it gives you more confidence then fill your boots - whatever it takes to put meat in the freezer.

Can't stand wearing orange either - don't like to give away my location to others.

But I will absolutely slap on my orange toque if I've got a set of antlers or a bear hide Protruding from my pack; or if im hunting in really flat open country where there's no timber or hills to absorb any stray bullets

My best pair of hunting pants is a pair of green Canadian army dress pants. Wool/polyester blend, warm, quite water resistant and tough.

I have to admit that I have a Cabela's camo jacket for hunting. It's got pockets in the right places, a hood, and the Dry-Plus material is though not waterproof, water resistant to a degree.

MichelD
09-23-2021, 10:10 PM

I agree. I think a lot of guys should be suited up in Ford F150 Interior fabric, that way they would be virtually invisible in their usual hunting location.

hawk-i
09-24-2021, 06:04 AM
Good camo is quite quiet, so its worth wearing while hunting. JHMO though

As a side note my F350 4x4 has camo seat covers too :rolleyes:

RackStar
09-24-2021, 06:10 AM
For elk hunting I prefer camo , when you have a bull tip toe in at 30 yards I will take any advantage I can! For deer and moose I could give a damn.

XPEIer
09-24-2021, 06:13 AM
I hear many people stating how important scent is, but I am amazed at how many guys put their hunting clothes on when they leave Vancouver, stop at every tim hortons and gas station along the way, smoke a few stogies, fuel the quads, cut fire wood, cook supper, sleep etc all in the same gear, then head out hunting in them. It seems counter productive to be head to toe in camo, but have every type of manmade scent all over them. Myself, I dont even like to fuel my truck on the way out hunting with my hunting clothes on, but maybe I am the crazy one.

XPEIER

Rieber
09-24-2021, 06:24 AM
Camo - pfft. I feel embarrassed if I wear camo when riding in the truck.

I do have camo but I don't think it's ever "really" helped me other than the fact it's my hunting raingear and quiet in the bush.

I read a long time ago that blues and yellows are visible to deer so I have always avoided those colours for hunting.

My favorite is the old grey wool loggers sweater with faded olive or brown pants.

I did pick up a couple wool hoodies in tan and olive for this year - time to pull them out soon.

horshur
09-24-2021, 07:11 AM
I hear many people stating how important scent is, but I am amazed at how many guys put their hunting clothes on when they leave Vancouver, stop at every tim hortons and gas station along the way, smoke a few stogies, fuel the quads, cut fire wood, cook supper, sleep etc all in the same gear, then head out hunting in them. It seems counter productive to be head to toe in camo, but have every type of manmade scent all over them. Myself, I dont even like to fuel my truck on the way out hunting with my hunting clothes on, but maybe I am the crazy one.

XPEIER

Scent isn't important because you cannot effect a change that makes a difference. Hunt as if you stink because you do. Remember a dog can trail a rabbit or lynx which in winter are nearly scentless to human nose..your breath, dander from your hair and skin. It is not even a challenge for game.
Atmospheric conditions and humidity, wind and thermals, temperature effect games ability to wind scent.

Nimrod
09-26-2021, 08:32 AM
Scent isn't important because you cannot effect a change that makes a difference. Hunt as if you stink because you do. Remember a dog can trail a rabbit or lynx which in winter are nearly scentless to human nose..your breath, dander from your hair and skin. It is not even a challenge for game.
Atmospheric conditions and humidity, wind and thermals, temperature effect games ability to wind scent.
Couldn't agree more.
Thinking you can evade games ability to smell you is a waste of time. Hunt with the wind in your favor, easy to say incredibly hard to do. So many factors with the wind and terrain, back eddies on the lee side of ridges and tree lines, anabatic and katabatic flow, even figuring out where the prevailing wind is coming from can be tricky. Your never going to fully understand what happening 100 percent of the time but if your trying to consider these things your going to approach your area differently and probably have more success.
then camo might actually help a little.

robbiej793
09-26-2021, 09:27 AM
duck hunting and turkey I like camo. I stopped buying camo now that my favourite outer wear has solid colors. I feel like I get a false sense of security when im deer hunting in camo lol !

Redthies
09-27-2021, 05:13 AM
duck hunting and turkey I like camo. I stopped buying camo now that my favourite outer wear has solid colors.!

100% correct. Waterfowl and Turkey hunting are times when camo is a huge advantage. Any time I’m hunting deer or upland I don’t wear camo and there is orange on my head at least. I didn’t always wear orange, but after seeing all the dipchits in the woods last few seasons, I’m definitely wearing a blaze orange hat at a minimum.

My room-mate from my ski bum days in Rossland is the founder of First Lite, so I wear a lot of his gear. 95% of it is solid color, but I have one wool piece and one jacket in Fusion camo. It’s the quality, comfort and fit that keep me wearing it. You can’t beat merino wool for being active in.

brian
09-27-2021, 08:43 AM
I hear many people stating how important scent is, but I am amazed at how many guys put their hunting clothes on when they leave Vancouver

That is because there is almost nothing you can really do to evade it. All the scent killing hunting stuff is marketing bullshit. I did extensive reading of studies conducted by law enforcement agencies like the FBI field testing a dogs sense of smell. It is truly amazing. Deer have about the equivalent. There is an odour on your skin that does not wash off with soap and is distinct to you. We cannot smell it, but dogs and deer sure can. They can piece out your scent like you can flavours in a meal. They can smell your breath, your BO, your cover scent, your laundry detergent, your scent blocking laundry detergent etc etc etc. Once you realize how good their sense of smell is, then you will realize your only solution is to not have the wind carry that scent to their noses.

Harvest the Land
09-27-2021, 01:04 PM
That is because there is almost nothing you can really do to evade it. All the scent killing hunting stuff is marketing bullshit. I did extensive reading of studies conducted by law enforcement agencies like the FBI field testing a dogs sense of smell. It is truly amazing. Deer have about the equivalent. There is an odour on your skin that does not wash off with soap and is distinct to you. We cannot smell it, but dogs and deer sure can. They can piece out your scent like you can flavours in a meal. They can smell your breath, your BO, your cover scent, your laundry detergent, your scent blocking laundry detergent etc etc etc. Once you realize how good their sense of smell is, then you will realize your only solution is to not have the wind carry that scent to their noses.

100%. Good to see you back posting again Brian. HBC is a much better forum with expert Blacktail killers like you on it. Keep it up. I've learned a lot from you over the years (thank you for sharing your knowledge).

I would add that deer are also really good a being able to detect how fresh or old your scent is. They can tell if you've just been through the area or if you were there a couple days ago. My experience is they won't stick around long if they smell fresh scent, but will tolerate "older" scent much better because they think/know that you have moved on and no longer pose a threat.

And yes, its all about the wind. If the wind is blowing straight into the deer's path its game over

mike31154
09-28-2021, 11:54 AM
I scored a set of camo PJ pants at Surplus Herby's a few years back! ;-)

Stillhunting
09-28-2021, 12:06 PM
My lucky hat is camo, but not much else.

brian
09-28-2021, 01:54 PM
Thank you for that Harvest, but I would hardly call myself an expert. The deer still manage to make a fool out of me regularly. Guys like Steve (pro guide) are the experts. He’s my guru. But thank you for the encouraging words.

nature girl
09-28-2021, 03:30 PM
It really comes to your budget. IF ya can afford it then buy camo. If you cant use what you have.
If your road hunting you dont need camo. Just saying.
I thing if your on a budget its better to spend your money on good footwear.

srupp
09-28-2021, 10:27 PM
Hmm question was not on scent..obviously movement is important as is scent..no shooting a deer from 1,200 yards with new zipada-dooda...2576 caliber does not need camo.

However it DOES help..even somewhat..it's a game of subtle advantagee..take the gun to the knife fight..lol
On numerous occasions had grizz step out and instantly peg the solid green attired hunter..not scent not movement.lit just didn't fit
Called moose into 25 feet stting still I blended in..obviously wind was in my favourite and I wasn't moving.

The gillie.suit would be more realistic if gotten wet and rolled in the vegetation around him..as it was designed to be done..
Once out at Churn creek I was already on the hillside..2 hunters came out up the trail..one sneezed..I said bless you..he almost pooped..40 feet away total camo..they never saw me..
I will continue to wear camo..lol I even have winter camo for late Alberta whitetail hunts.
My .02
Srupp

caddisguy
09-28-2021, 11:33 PM
I just wear neutral colors that blend in, greens, browns.. often a camo jacket or hoodie. I dont know how much it really matters. Negligible in comparison to other efforts like movement, being out in the open, skylining yourself. You can wear all the camo you want but if you're out in the open, rubbernecking, figiting, pulling up the binos every few seconds, it's irrelevant.

I do think there are certain colors to avoid for various species. I think blue sticks out for bears, but I've taken quite a few bears in blue jeans so go figure.

One thing I wonder about is material and reflection/exposure.

I have noticed myself on trailcams, some materials, particularly water resistant stuff glow like a light bulb compared to other materials. I've ditched some camo giddyup based on that. If I am reflecting light lit up like a dang disco ball in one thing but look like a tree stump in another... well, I'll stick with the stuff I appear plain/drab. BUT maybe someone who knows a lot more can weigh in on why that is.... looks like camo, add a little light reflection and it's completely white and glowing vs other material, no glow.

My thinking is that you could potentially pick out the best camo pattern you can find that suits the terrain you want to blend with, but to a deer you might not be blending in at all, but rather looking like a street lamp trying to blend in with a tree. I think testing light reflection might be a valid consideration but I do not know for certain. I'll add that the stuff that lights me up like a disco ball doesn't even appear to be reflective/shiny/etc at all. So if I am right, I wonder how you would even know before you buy?

caddisguy
09-28-2021, 11:45 PM
Thank you for that Harvest, but I would hardly call myself an expert. The deer still manage to make a fool out of me regularly. Guys like Steve (pro guide) are the experts. He’s my guru. But thank you for the encouraging words.

Proguide ain't here these days, so you're the best we got :D

And we have abandonment issues, just like when dad said he was going for a pack of smokes and never came back... gonna be kinda clingy, you gotta stick around for the 5 of us that pursue Columbian BT's in the timber.

ghost
09-29-2021, 03:55 AM
Contrast of pattern and colour is the best main purpose. Most camo appeals to the human eye rather than blending in to the background

simonvancouver
10-04-2021, 11:39 AM
I really love the truck hunters in head to toe camo... def cant see or hear them in a bright red truck ....

Camo i am sure works but if you got your best perfume on and are the wrong way in the wind you are ****ed regardless.

Good tracking / hunting basics I believe out perform the best camo.

Bubbacanuck
10-04-2021, 12:01 PM
Depends on species that you are hunting. Some use their nose, others use their eyes. Camo adds little value when hunting bears but is pretty much a necessity when hunting turkey. When waterfowl hunting, if you are visible they won't come into your spread. Not saying you need to be head to toe camo, but if you are casting a shadow or they see the whites of your face, you likely won't be shooting limits unless you are in some honey hole area. Ungulates, the wind is more important but their eyes do play a part. More so with movement than anything but camo doesn't hurt. When I was lynx hunting, I was head to toe white since I was hunting in the snow. Cats have good eyes but I don't know if it is a must if you are setup correctly. To each their own I say.

tigrr
10-04-2021, 01:16 PM
Blaze Orange around here. I'm tired of being scoped.

Username48
10-04-2021, 01:43 PM
As far as camo patterns go, I think it gives you a slight edge in only a handful of rare instances. It certainly won't hurt your hunting to be in full camo, but there are plenty of other things far more likely to spook an animal than not having camo. Waterfowl and turkey hunting are probably the exceptions where camo does make a significant difference, since they have much sharper eyesight and rely on it much more for detecting predators.

I'm certainly guilty of truck-hunting with camo on and/or wearing a blaze-orange vest over top of camo, and I'm aware of the irony. That being said, I bought camo hunting clothes not because I wanted camo, but because I wanted to buy high-quality technical clothes that are purpose-built for hunting, and that kind of gear tends to mostly be only available in camo patterns. Yes you can get solid earth-tones from some (not all) brands, but those tend to sell out first anytime there's a major sale.

There are plenty of outdoor brands that make great clothing for hiking, backpacking, trail-running, etc., but in my experience those clothes fall short for hunting in a few key areas: durability, noise, and stretch. Which makes sense, as they're not designed for people that are bush-whacking and stalking animals. They have a completely different set of design criteria, and that's fine.

So to answer the question of "to camo or not to camo", no I don't think it's necessary to buy camo clothing, but it is worthwhile to buy hunting-specific outerwear. If it happens to be camo, so be it. I don't want to buy expensive gear only to have it tear while walking through thick brush, make a ton of noise as it crinkles with each step, or be uncomfortable and restrictive every time I find myself prone or crouching in the bush.

Redthies
10-04-2021, 10:23 PM
Well said ‘48.

Treed
10-04-2021, 11:32 PM
While camo may not be a big game changer when hunting, having your face covered makes a big difference. In my experience, our faces stick out like deer butts. For some people the comparison goes further.

Leveraction
10-05-2021, 05:52 PM
I don’t focus too much on the camo, but rather focus on the darker colours.
I tend to where darker green, greys, some browns, sometimes a bit of a mix of them.
depending on what kind of hunting, I have a face covering with me as well, the colour of skin is not a colour found in the bush.
I’ve always tried to pay attention to the wind, and that over colour many times is a deal maker, but wind going in the direction you are travelling can be a deal breaker.

Fallkniven
10-07-2021, 06:03 PM
You don't need camo. Camo was invented to make Humans less visable to humans, nothing to do with animals. If you stand still in a back ground as complicated as a forest, no deer can differentiate you (with the exception of wearing a non natural colour, like Blue) from the background, they just don't have the brain power required, because its actually requires quite a lot. Deer have developed a different angle get around the lack of synapses, they react to movement and scent. Don't move and don't give them your scent, a deer cannot detect you. Camo is like cat food ads, they are aimed at the owners, not the cats, because it the owner who decide what/when to buy. Likewise camo, its aimed at what YOU find difficult to tell from a background...but you have about X1000 times the processing power of a Deer...stay still, watch the wind....save your money.

Fallkniven
10-07-2021, 06:05 PM
should have added sound to my list of ways to be detected!

Redthies
10-07-2021, 06:46 PM
You don't need camo. Camo was invented to make Humans less visable to humans, nothing to do with animals. If you stand still in a back ground as complicated as a forest, no deer can differentiate you (with the exception of wearing a non natural colour, like Blue) from the background, they just don't have the brain power required, because its actually requires quite a lot. Deer have developed a different angle get around the lack of synapses, they react to movement and scent. Don't move and don't give them your scent, a deer cannot detect you. Camo is like cat food ads, they are aimed at the owners, not the cats, because it the owner who decide what/when to buy. Likewise camo, its aimed at what YOU find difficult to tell from a background...but you have about X1000 times the processing power of a Deer...stay still, watch the wind....save your money.

So youve obviously never hunted turkeys or waterfowl? It’s not absolutely 100% necessary to wear camo in those pursuits, but it makes you 10x more successful.

When not chasing either of those critters, I wear earth tones and call it good. As you and others have mentioned, with ungulates and other big game animals, it’s all about scent and motion.

J_T
10-08-2021, 08:25 AM
Since the late 80's, I've always worn camo. Mostly because the materials and durability of the clothing is so much superior. It's great outdoor wear. I don't wear polyester at all. As a bow hunter, I'm camo'd. From the top of the bald head, the face, neck and on down. Of course, I've had shots fired in my direction when I've been in close on animals.

Dedicated hunting clothing can be important, as you can manage the longevity and the scent better. Clean it differently, always prep it so it is mostly scent free.

Redthies
10-08-2021, 08:38 AM
Thoughts on the blaze orange camo? If done well, it might work for bow hunting, no?

GEF
10-08-2021, 09:33 AM
If camo is not necessary than why did mother nature put it on its predators ie tiger, leopard,ocelote, bobcat,,wolf,coyote lion .Lions mane is meant to duplicate the grasses on the planes like a gillie suit.

J_T
10-08-2021, 10:00 AM
Thoughts on the blaze orange camo? If done well, it might work for bow hunting, no?

It was once said, if you want to assess the quality of your camo and pattern, take a photograph in black and white. with sun on the subject and with sun behind the subject. It becomes quite obvious which patterns provide the best concealment. The traditional woodlands pattern and in the guide outfitter colours, (beige, light green and green) is the best. It doesn't take too much dark to just make the entire costume a dark blotch.