PDA

View Full Version : Towns in bc to buy for hobby farming

fourbyfourtoy
07-23-2019, 09:20 PM
I didn't want to hi Jack huntertylers thread but I am seriously looking to buy a hobby farm/land. Almost anywhere but the lower mainland.

A little about me I am also 30 years old weird eh. I am a red seal welder and ironworker and soon to be millwright apprentice. Currently renting with my girlfriend out in abbotsford. My lady is a red seal chef (lucky me) and I feel she could find work in most small towns. I will probably have to work out of town for at least a good part of the year.

My budget is low. I have 100k to work with and dream of buying land outright. This would be my first home purchase. Just enough space to start a small farming operation. I would consider a mortgage if the land had a home already situated or the perfect location arouse.

My grandparents currently reside just before little fort
In the north Thompson valley. I have spent most of my years hunting in region 3-28, 29, 30,39 ext. I am quite familiar with the area and would love to carry on the family tradition of raising cattle and supply the family with meat. I found one acreage up in the Clearwater valley just past all the B&B's, 30 acres for 110k. There are three B&B's by the falls I figure if there's three there must by some tourism demand. I don't know of the regions agricultural uses especially up by bridge lake where I see alot of lots for sale but I don't see any berry or vegetable farms just cattle ranches hmmmmm...

I'm also interested in the Kootenays. I found 19 acres just past Greenwood along hwy 3 asking 89k. I am under the impression the area has agricultural potential. I would love to have an orchard!

Also looking around Quesnel as I feel I could find work in town.

From what I understand to qualify for farm status you only have to bring in 2500 a year. Please clarify if anyone has more info

I found lots of support for young farmers starting out but alot of the resources revolve around leasing land to farm.

Thanks for any input

srupp
07-23-2019, 09:29 PM
Hmmmm there is a ranch on hwy 97 almost half way to Quesnel...it grows hay..all presold year after year..decent deer population, creek running through it..great water supply..the guy is a WELDER and has a huge custom shop 14? 16 ? Feet high doors...he probably would throw in welding supplies ? Amazing shop up your alley so to speak..
Not sure how many acres...
However its listed at over 700, 000.....
Steven

Redthies
07-23-2019, 09:34 PM
The areas you mentioned are both nice. I know the Greenwood area quite well. Lots of deer around there, but a lot of private land too. If you want an orchard I’d go there over Clearwater.

KodiakHntr
07-24-2019, 06:03 AM
Research the farm status gross dollar values more before you get your heart set on that... The $2500 gross business value you stated is for bigger parcels of land, I want to say that is the value for >100 acres. For small parcels like you mention I believe it is more like $12500 gross sales per year, specifically to ensure that people with 10 acre “ranchettes” can’t claim farm status because they have 10 chickens and sell some eggs to the neighbors.

Boner
07-24-2019, 06:17 AM
As far as I know, if you are renting, and you want to buy a bare piece of land to eventually build on, you need a much higher than normal down payment. Unless you have some other collateral the bank is interested in. Even some house trailers on land is the same percentage down if they are super old and need tons of work.

Food for thought.

BromBones
07-24-2019, 06:29 AM
Raw land you'll need 40 to 50% of the sale price as a down payment, so look for some property with a fixer upper house that can still be insured, usually the easiest way to get into some property.

Houston area usually has some cheap land. Not a heck of a lot in the town but great area for hunting/fishing, outdoor rec, etc. You'd probably want to look for some camp work though. Red Chris and Brucejack mine are both good options, as well as LNG in Kitimat.

willyqbc
07-24-2019, 06:33 AM
Cariboo pulp in quesnel is currently looking for welders. Real estate here is pretty cheap compared to a lot of the province. That being said, 100k doesnt get ya much these days...even in quesnel, but if looking for bare land you could find something of decent size.

fourbyfourtoy
07-24-2019, 07:13 AM
There are quite a few decent size properties around hixon. I don't know how much a growing season exists up there. Also noticed many lots around forest grove. I like the thought of buying land outright that I can afford (under 100k) and developing. Preferably with some mature timber as I plan on buying a portable sawmill or Alaskan mill. I would like to build as I can afford it. My dad is a life long concrete guy and together we can build a foundation. I got a 15ft travel trailer I'm trying to convince the girlfriend we can live in while we build or we might continue to rent in the lower mainland. There are so many variables but mostly I am focused on location and largest affordable acerage. I really appreciate input fellas

Wild one
07-24-2019, 07:28 AM
You might want to start by doing research on the growing season and crops that are feasible options for areas you are considering. It will be way easier to figure out your options once you know what kind of farming, what these crops need and what is even possible first

Tons of places with cheap land but doesn’t mean it’s suitable

Redthies
07-24-2019, 07:45 AM
Wild One nailed it for the farm part of the equation. The further nort you go, the lower your options for growing get. Living in a 15’ trailer full time will probably lead to living alone full time pretty quickly...

There are so many options if you are interested in being creative, and it sounds like you are. I’d look at using $75,000 as a down payment, as that should bump your number of properties up a bit. At 50% down, you then have at least $150,000 to work with, and $25,000 for materials to build with. That won’t get you everything, but if you are careful, and dad helps with his carpentry skills, you might squeak a small house/cabin to lock-up state for that money. Concrete will be the biggest expense, so I would consider building on piers or concrete blocks for now. If you do it right, you can always form and pour a proper foundation at a later date when your cash supply is back up a bit.

tigrr
07-24-2019, 07:49 AM
Some of the areas you mentioned have a lot of traffic and trains. Some of them get 15 trains a day. I am a light sleeper and I like something remote. Search realtor.ca and put in the parameters/filters you want ie budget, land size, land type and you can search commercial as well. They do come up for sale because I just got 36 acres of bare land south of Burns Lake. Check kijiji as well. Last time I checked into farm status I think it was an income of between 10 and 20 grand. I checked so I could buy purple fuel for my off road vehicles. Call revenue Canada and get the latest requirement.
You will have to search around an area with mills or mining to get work in your field. Or else belong to a union hall and travel for work(not great).
A lot of good info above as well.

adriaticum
07-24-2019, 07:50 AM
There isn't much you can buy these days for 100K.
It's a sad fact of life.
Kootenays are the best place to look I think. It's still "relatively" affordable and good soil for growing things.

Huntingtyler123
07-24-2019, 08:03 AM
You know lillooet is a perfect climate for farming fruits veggies. You have a winery up there fort berens that’s looking to expand, could grow for them and make a lot of money also.

Wild one
07-24-2019, 08:26 AM
You know lillooet is a perfect climate for farming fruits veggies. You have a winery up there fort berens that’s looking to expand, could grow for them and make a lot of money also.

If you have a location with proper water and flat enough to work. No lack of cheap vertical dry land in lillooet lol

EvanG
07-24-2019, 09:16 AM
TD will finance farm loans to purchase land with as little as 10% down ( might even be 5%) all you have to do is answer a few questions regarding your farm plan . Interest rates are similar to normal mortgage with similar pay down options. Many ppl use them up here in the peace to purchase homes on quarter sections when the banks wont finance the value of the land or require 50% down. I used them two years ago to purchase a recreational 160 acres.

CranePete
07-24-2019, 10:53 AM
Interlakes area (Bridge/Sheridan) has a fairly short growing season. You’d need to be prepared to put up cloches for early planting, a greenhouse would be best. You’re at 3900’ elevation. Can and does frost every month of the year. As a welder/fabricator, you’ll be travelling for work. Not much call for chefs, either. Perhaps in 100 Mile House, but having made that commute for 20+years, I can guarantee it’ll get old very fast. Best of luck in your quest.
CranePete

fourbyfourtoy
07-24-2019, 12:55 PM
a) $10,000 on land less than .8 hectares (1.98 acres);
b) $2,500 on land between .8 hectares (1.98 acres) and 4 hectares (10 acres);
c) on land larger than 4 hectares (10 acres), you must earn $2,500 plus five per cent of the actual value of any farm land in excess of 4 hectares;
d) $10,000, in order to qualify unused land where the area in production by the owner makes up at least 25 per cent of the portion of the parcel outside the ALR. Some sales of qualifying agricultural products must occur every year.

Plus an application and bam! Farm status! Just kidding hahaha I'm sure there's more paperwork involved.

Living in the travel trailer would be a stretch for my lady. Maybe just for the first summer or two while I build.

My dad and i usually buy navijack and cement and hand mix in a wheel barrow(ya we are old school).
I figure this would justify buying a mixer and pouring in segments.

Again I'm not really into taking on a mortgage. I would prefer to buy what I can afford outright and build as I can afford.

Bridge to 100 mile can't be as bad a commute as abbotsford to north van. Google maps says 49km.

Has anyone here done a similar venture? I'm curious as to the price to bring in power from the lot line. As well as cost of drilling a well. Well drilling estimates I have gathered are around 5500$ and power from 10 to 30k

Hunterguy
07-24-2019, 12:59 PM
Grand Forks area.

BromBones
07-24-2019, 05:40 PM
Well drilling say $35-$50 per ft for 6'' casing, not including the pump & accessories install. Hydro rough estimate at around $10,000 per pole. They have a program to subsidize a portion of the new line costs, UAE fund I think its called. Look into solar with gen backup and compare the cost if you have to do a long run of power poles.

I bought 30 acres a couple years ago and will be building in the next few years. It is full of nice second growth and some mature timber, spruce/pine/hemlock/cedar. I spent $7000 on a new bandsaw mill that will cut logs 30'' diameter x 28ft long. You can get one for half that price that will mill a 22'' log. Mine paid for itself in a few months just in my own personal lumber use, & we're logging some of the mature spruce & cedar to mill for building the house (post and beam). I sell the odd bit of red cedar lumber which pays for all the blades, fuel, etc so the cost to run it is nothing.

Having good timber on a property is important, you can save a lot of $$ by investing in a small bandsaw mill but you'll also need some small equipment to log it. If you enjoy the logging/milling process then it is probly worth it, if not then don't bother because it is a serious amount of work to be a one-man 'logs to lumber' show. If you can't fall trees, try to work with a faller if you know any and learn some basics, and never attempt a tree that's above your skill - that's a great way to hurt or kill yourself and end your dream of a farm homestead. Also stay away from the alaskan chainsaw mills, they are nice little contraptions for remote sites and slabbing big trees but are painfully slow and wasteful for stockpiling dimensional lumber. I have a couple and they are like pulling teeth compared to running a bandsaw mill.

Also you should explore the cost of paying contractors vs buying some small equipment to clear and develop your land. If you enjoy the process, and have the time (that's a big one) look at buying some used equipment - a mini excavator and a compact 4wd tractor with a loader can do a shitload of work and are cheap to run. Otherwise save some $$ and pay contractors to do it. A good contractor with some bigger equipment can get a lot of work done very very quickly.

And when you're planning out the whole process and think you have a good grasp on the time, work, and cost involved, double all of that and you'll be pretty close :) You have the right idea though - build as you can afford it & stay out of debt if you can.

tigrr
07-24-2019, 09:56 PM
Wish they had a like button^^^^^ for above.

fourbyfourtoy
07-25-2019, 07:04 AM
Thanks brom I really appreciate advice from a like minded person. I have looked into mini excavators found a few good units for around 15k. I'm very encouraged hearing of your success with your personal milling.

My uncle lives with my grandparents in little fort and is a very experienced faller. There's two properties I'm seriously considering. 30 acres up Clearwater valley road. 19 acres in just past Greenwood. The Clearwater property looks very heavily timbered and is close to moul falls. There are three B&Bs in close proximity. The GF is always talking about starting a B&B. I figure start with one cabin and work my way up.
The Greenwood property has more farming potential but hardly any timber.

Solar power is definitely something I plan on looking into. I always thought it would be nice to find a property with a year round creek. Try and setup a turbine or water wheel generator. Or a ram pump setup.