PDA

View Full Version : Electric trucks

andrew5
07-23-2019, 12:06 PM
I've been interested in the full size Tesla truck that has been coming for some time now. I'm wondering how many on here would be keen on switching to an Electric truck, and who will likely prefer ol' reliable gas or diesel. The range will be the key thing for them I think, especially for hunting. I could see this being super valuable once they figure out mobile charging through solar panels. how cool would that be to have unlimited range, and no jerry cans hauled into camp.

come to think of it, when are the electric quads coming? having a completely silent quad for hunting would be beneficial I imagine, I know there is a movement with deer hunters on using electric bikes to slip in quietly before first shooting light.

I also saw that Ford will be moving the F-150 to 100% electric to compete. check out this prototype video, where an electric F-150 tows 1 million pounds worth of train box cars 1,000 feet:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2019/07/23/ford-f-150-ev-prototype-tows-10-trains-loaded-pickup-trucks/1794180001/

albravo2
07-23-2019, 12:18 PM
I'm curious, but not considering one for my next truck. I love the performance stats of the Rivian (0-60mph in 2.3 seconds) but I don't really need sports car performance in a truck. I need a solid drivetrain that will handle heavy loads over bad roads. I won't trust the first generation or two of electric truck for that mission.

On a related note, friends of mine were coming up to visit our cabin near Lillooet in their new Tesla. From North Van they stopped in Squamish and Pemberton to re-charge, then in Pemberton on the way back again. I think they were being extra cautious to make sure they had enough charge, but the energy it took to find a charging station in a small town and the time it took to charge makes an electric vehicle a long ways away for me.

Harvest the Land
07-23-2019, 12:26 PM
Definitely interested as well, but like Barvo said, I too will wait for a few years after they're released to give them time to get rid of any kinks. Another major concern for me would be the battery dying in cold weather, which happened to many Tesla owners across the country last winter with the wicked cold winter we had all over the country. Would suck to be 30km+ in the bush after you've harvested your animal and its dark and you're freezing and exhausted, only to find out the battery is dead cause of the cold.

Redthies
07-23-2019, 04:40 PM
I’m all for things that help the natural environment, but I don’t see this as a practical option for most BC hunters. When they have one that can carry 4,000 lbs in the bed, tow 18,000 lbs and has a range of 800 kms at a go, I’ll take a look. Until then, my diesel that burns the unicorn piss is going to have to do.

bankshot
07-23-2019, 05:14 PM
And another concern is what's resale going to be like on a truck that needs a $20k to $30k battery after how long? As well as parts and service needs until they have a service network set up.

Livewire322
07-23-2019, 06:15 PM
And another concern is what's resale going to be like on a truck that needs a $20k to $30k battery after how long? As well as parts and service needs until they have a service network set up.

A buddy of mine just bought a model 3 Tesla and the service tech came right out to his work in Langley when he needed it. I have no idea if that costs extra or if it comes with the car, but it’s pretty neat.

twoSevenO
07-23-2019, 07:01 PM
I'm curious, but not considering one for my next truck. I love the performance stats of the Rivian (0-60mph in 2.3 seconds) but I don't really need sports car performance in a truck. I need a solid drivetrain that will handle heavy loads over bad roads. I won't trust the first generation or two of electric truck for that mission.

On a related note, friends of mine were coming up to visit our cabin near Lillooet in their new Tesla. From North Van they stopped in Squamish and Pemberton to re-charge, then in Pemberton on the way back again. I think they were being extra cautious to make sure they had enough charge, but the energy it took to find a charging station in a small town and the time it took to charge makes an electric vehicle a long ways away for me.

That's BS. Those who own electric vehicles are well versed with where the chargers are. If they arent they're just dumb people.

Besides, there is an app that tells you where the nearest chargers are.

It's not like you're driving around aimlessly looking for a place to plug in

twoSevenO
07-23-2019, 07:02 PM

Look at the resale of the other tesla models.... its better than most vehicles out there.

Besides, the battery is guaranteed for 8 years. Doesnt mean it ONLY lasts 8 years.

twoSevenO
07-23-2019, 07:44 PM
I’m all for things that help the natural environment, but I don’t see this as a practical option for most BC hunters. When they have one that can carry 4,000 lbs in the bed, tow 18,000 lbs and has a range of 800 kms at a go, I’ll take a look. Until then, my diesel that burns the unicorn piss is going to have to do.

The 800km range is probably not happening yet, but I dont doubt the towing and bed payload will both be better than that.

One thing to note, electric trucks arent limited like conventional trucks by the transmissions, or u joints or driveshafts strength. Some application can even have 4 motors, one for each wheel and not even require the limitations of differentials and axle shaft ratings!

The drivetrain can be simplified so much. And if you ask me, electric motors are way more reliable than diesel engines, especially new diesel engines that are being destroyed by ever increasing emissions components.

4 electric motors, 800hp max total, significantly simpler drive train .... why wouldn't it haul more than 4000lbs or tow more than 18000?

It will be interesting to see what they price it at. I dont think they can price it like their S or X lines if they want it to sell.

Hell, even the new "cheap" model 3 comes in at $70k when it's all said and done (cousin bought one this year).

stosto
07-23-2019, 07:48 PM

Fuel cost will be the driving factor for most trucks in years to come, since the utility of electic trucks will be on par pretty quick. Your unicorn piss will soon be $300/fillup while the electric dogs will be $30. Over the life of truck that math will be no brainer.

bankshot
07-23-2019, 07:56 PM
We'll see when the government starts slapping a road tax on the electric cars per kilometer, who knows when but at some point they'll need to.

browningboy
07-23-2019, 10:42 PM
My desiels have always been new, but really getting tired of the maintenance costs, at a point I wouldn’t care to bring a generator with me like one would stop at a gas station

twoSevenO
07-23-2019, 11:37 PM
My desiels have always been new, but really getting tired of the maintenance costs, at a point I wouldn’t care to bring a generator with me like one would stop at a gas station

Haha. But then you still need to haul gas for the generator. And I think your standard generator would have to run for 24hrs to do that kind of charging lol!

I think electric trucks are great, but they will probably just be around town contractor trucks, welding rigs etc until the range improves before people can actually go hunting with them.

They make them to appeal to the majority. Those who actually need 800km range are a minority they dont really need anyways. Not now at least.

Squamch
07-24-2019, 07:26 AM
Nope. I can't afford to buy a new truck, let alone one with new tech.
And while they may offer a huge payload, towing capacity, and range....they won't offer it simultaneously. It'll take a ton of juice to get that weight rolling and keep it rolling, cutting down the battery life.
What kind of electric motors do they use? I've burned out a lot of electric motors. Especially ones used under a high load.

notyalc
07-24-2019, 10:21 AM
I think a solid electric truck is still years away. But I do hope lots of people buy them when they do come out....might bring down the cost of diesel for me :wink:

DeepJeep
07-24-2019, 10:25 AM
Elon Musk mentioned that their truck will be better than regular trucks like f150s out there. Will have 400km range. And will be under 50k.

That makes me interested. However, I will not be the gunieau pig :)

Ron.C
07-24-2019, 11:20 AM
Elon Musk mentioned that their truck will be better than regular trucks like f150s

Thats not saying much :p

DeepJeep
07-24-2019, 11:24 AM
Thats not saying much :p

I know.... But he meant that it will have a true truck like capability.

07-24-2019, 11:34 AM
I'm interested in an electric truck, but I would want at least a 700km highway range. I expect that may be a few years away.

I think electric vehicles are pretty cool, and I think those who own them now should really enjoy this "golden age" of electric vehicles, while operating costs are still cheap. Federal and provincial governments currently collect about $25,000,000,000 (that's 25 BILLION) in fuel taxes. They will come after EVs eventually

andrew5
07-24-2019, 11:48 AM
I have to think that driving FSRS and hunting from an electric truck would bump a lot less animals, due to the vastly reduced noise as well. I agree that they will be built with the masses in mind, but you know that someone is going to trick one out with two batteries, similar to an extra tank in the truck bed, and jury rig a portable solar charger to one.

PS - I just found this. apparently there is already a tesla truck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R35gWBtLCYg

twoSevenO
07-24-2019, 01:11 PM
I have to think that driving FSRS and hunting from an electric truck would bump a lot less animals, due to the vastly reduced noise as well. I agree that they will be built with the masses in mind, but you know that someone is going to trick one out with two batteries, similar to an extra tank in the truck bed, and jury rig a portable solar charger to one.

PS - I just found this. apparently there is already a tesla truck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R35gWBtLCYg

I think that is just a model 3 someone cut up into a pickup. That's not Tesla's creation.

And is anyone actually able to charge one with a solar charger?!? I havent looked into it but it sounds to me like it would take q very long time using any portable solar trickle charger

Fella
07-24-2019, 01:26 PM
I'm interested in an electric truck, but I would want at least a 700km highway range. I expect that may be a few years away.

I think electric vehicles are pretty cool, and I think those who own them now should really enjoy this "golden age" of electric vehicles, while operating costs are still cheap. Federal and provincial governments currently collect about $25,000,000,000 (that's 25 BILLION) in fuel taxes. They will come after EVs eventually

I hope GM releases their ZH2 pickup to the public soon, its a pickup they made for the military that is hydrogen and battery powered. 642 km range and can charge in 3 minutes.

andrew5
07-24-2019, 02:24 PM
it is a DIY modified model 3 indeed. pretty funny but cool at the same time. there is a growing community of people modifying tesla's, and it won't be too long after the full size pickup is released that we see some pretty interesting custom tesla trucks for the outdoors.

in terms of portable solar chargers, the technology isn't there yet, but it will be eventually. That will be a real game changer if you don't need to stop in to gas stations or charging stations. no more jerry cans into moose camp etc.

scott h
07-24-2019, 02:57 PM
Fuel cost will be the driving factor for most trucks in years to come, since the utility of electic trucks will be on par pretty quick. Your unicorn piss will soon be $300/fillup while the electric dogs will be $30. Over the life of truck that math will be no brainer.
That is going to be what ultimately gets everyone to change over to electric. Most people want to reduce pollution when they can, but the real push will be how cheap they are to operate, especially for someone that burns something like a tank a week. The savings would be huge !!!

scott h
07-24-2019, 03:06 PM
Theoretically a full electric truck with a 300-400 km range would do almost all of us as a very, very cheap daily driver. Pop a good quality generator in the back for those few trips a year where you might stand a chance of running out of charge, and you should be good to go

07-24-2019, 03:11 PM
Theoretically a full electric truck with a 300-400 km range would do almost all of us as a very, very cheap daily driver. Pop a good quality generator in the back for those few trips a year where you might stand a chance of running out of charge, and you should be good to go

Most generator set-ups wouldn't be adequate. The charge rate when using a regular 110 V plug is about 4 km per hour of charge (at least with my buddies Tesla). I believe 220 Volt will charge 80% in~8 hours. Maybe 220 Volt generators are available??

Beachcomber
07-24-2019, 04:58 PM

Toyota is targeting that sort of range for their hydrogen fuel cell technology about 5 years from now. It will be interesting to see if fuel cells make up ground on EVs. Right now the latter has much greater market share but companies like Toyota, GM are investing in fuel cells and see a future for them. I wonder too if there is a spike in prices for fuel cell materials like platinum just as there was in rare earths and things like lithium around EVs?

scott h
07-24-2019, 05:42 PM
Most generator set-ups wouldn't be adequate. The charge rate when using a regular 110 V plug is about 4 km per hour of charge (at least with my buddies Tesla). I believe 220 Volt will charge 80% in~8 hours. Maybe 220 Volt generators are available??
I looked that up and there are 220-240 volt generators. There are also people who have used a gen to charge their Teslas. I can't see there being that much demand for a generator for a car, but once electric trucks become available that will probably change quickly.

caddisguy
07-24-2019, 05:49 PM
Charging electric vehicles with gas generators. 2019 you so crazy!

twoSevenO
07-24-2019, 05:55 PM
There are likely to be services for mobile chargers, kind of like you have tidy tanks for on site machinery. Something that comes around and recharges trucks and cars when you need them to.

But personal generators, unlikely. A useful 220V generator is likely to require it's own trailer. Ans if you're towing that around PLUS gas for it, you're basically defeating the purpose.

800km range is pretty serious. I dont really see that happening. Those who require 800km of back country use are such a minority tesla will never cater to them.

dino
07-24-2019, 05:56 PM
I drive an ev and when the truck comes out I will be getting one of those too. Once the government starts to hit the ev,s for their road tax sales will die off is my assumption.

Gateholio
07-24-2019, 05:57 PM
I’ll look at anything that makes sense. If an electric truck makes more sense than a gas or diesel truck, I will buy it. I ran two trucks on waste vegetable oil, I’m fine with alternate energy, but it has to actually work and make sense financially and with performance.

Gateholio
07-24-2019, 05:59 PM
EV owners will probably have to pay road tax when they renew insurance, via km driven. Going to be a whole bunch of angry hipsters when that happens. :)

twoSevenO
07-24-2019, 06:13 PM
EV owners will probably have to pay road tax when they renew insurance, via km driven. Going to be a whole bunch of angry hipsters when that happens. :)

My diesel tuner charges $100 for subsequent "adjustments" ... I'll just get him to "adjust" the odometer next time. Lol

But you're right on choosing what makes sense. Personally I dont care what it runs on if it makes financial sense

Wild one
07-24-2019, 06:26 PM
When an electric truck comes out that fits my needs, cold reliable, and can launch a boat without risk of shorting our and catching fire I will look at them

right now they just don’t cut it for my life style

Huntingtyler123
07-24-2019, 07:18 PM
My friend at work in film commutes daily from chilliwack to Burnaby or north van, wherever the show is at. He just bought a model 3 Tesla and it’s saving him hundreds a month on fuel ( which is good). I think EV is only good for that, the daily commuters. He says there is no coasting once you let off the “gas” pedal. It slows down right away so you always have to be using the electricity of the vehicle. It’s going to be a longggg time I think before they come out with something that’s suitable for long range distances, especially for an electric truck that can do the hauling and distance a diesel can do. Even if they come out with one I’d never buy a first generation. Like previously mentioned, majority of the consumers will be for the everyday commuters.

My personal opinion is they are just getting suckers to buy electric to make themselves feel better about the environment. There is plenty of oil and gas on this planet that we won’t run out. It’s just a cash grab. The lithium mines do waayyyyyyyyyy worse for the environment then what we do now for oil.

twoSevenO
07-24-2019, 08:33 PM
Every single person I know is buying them because they want to save money on fuel, not because they're doing the planet a good thing.

There is no coasting and it slows right down because its using the braking force to recharge the battery.

You might think its dumb to not be able to coast, but there is a good reason for that. Besides, it makes your brakes last longer!

Huntingtyler123
07-24-2019, 09:57 PM
Every single person I know is buying them because they want to save money on fuel, not because they're doing the planet a good thing.

There is no coasting and it slows right down because its using the braking force to recharge the battery.

You might think its dumb to not be able to coast, but there is a good reason for that. Besides, it makes your brakes last longer!

Yes I get that and understand that. I was just saying that because coasting May help with the longer distant you can travel instead of just constantly using your power in an EV

twoSevenO
07-24-2019, 10:19 PM
Yes I get that and understand that. I was just saying that because coasting May help with the longer distant you can travel instead of just constantly using your power in an EV

But a topped up battery also helps travel longer distance...... almost like they considered both options and went with the one that made more sense .... maybe

Luka77
07-24-2019, 10:25 PM
My friend at work in film commutes daily from chilliwack to Burnaby or north van, wherever the show is at. He just bought a model 3 Tesla and it’s saving him hundreds a month on fuel ( which is good). I think EV is only good for that, the daily commuters. He says there is no coasting once you let off the “gas” pedal. It slows down right away so you always have to be using the electricity of the vehicle. It’s going to be a longggg time I think before they come out with something that’s suitable for long range distances, especially for an electric truck that can do the hauling and distance a diesel can do. Even if they come out with one I’d never buy a first generation. Like previously mentioned, majority of the consumers will be for the everyday commuters.

My personal opinion is they are just getting suckers to buy electric to make themselves feel better about the environment. There is plenty of oil and gas on this planet that we won’t run out. It’s just a cash grab. The lithium mines do waayyyyyyyyyy worse for the environment then what we do now for oil.

I drive used Mazda 6 daily Burnaby-Chilliwack and the gas is costing me between 200-300 a month. On a full year that will come up to 3000-4000. For your buddy it will be many years before he is cost neutral. With amount he paid out for that Tesla he could've bought a lot of gas, even at our premium prices.

twoSevenO
07-24-2019, 11:37 PM
I drive used Mazda 6 daily Burnaby-Chilliwack and the gas is costing me between 200-300 a month. On a full year that will come up to 3000-4000. For your buddy it will be many years before he is cost neutral. With amount he paid out for that Tesla he could've bought a lot of gas, even at our premium prices.

Yes, but he also bought a high end car. Not just an electric car. If his main priority was ONLY fuel savings then he could have bought a second hand Nissan Leaf.

limit time
07-25-2019, 08:11 AM
With all this electric talk, it’s a good thing site C is being built. How many more would be needed if all people went to electric ...?

07-25-2019, 08:13 AM
With all this electric talk, it’s a good thing site C is being built. How many more would be needed if all people went to electric ...?

My buddy asked his friend who works for BC Hydro, and he said something like 4-5 more projects like Site C would be required

scott h
07-25-2019, 08:21 AM
The same could be said of any new vehicle vs an old beater. It's pretty dam easy to spend $75K on a pickup these days and the depreciation is off the charts. It will be interesting to see if a 10 year old Tesla loses as much value as a 10 year old Cadillac.

thompie505
07-25-2019, 09:40 AM
I think the Tesla Truck and other EV’s have a place for sure. A couple coworkers have them and love them. Polaris makes an EV side by side.. with around a 50mile range. 75km ish. Sure it depends on load/ terrain etc. Costs about 3k more then a standard one. People have switched out the batteries to higher quality ones and have increased the range significantly. Would work great for hunting.

Luka77
07-25-2019, 05:25 PM
The same could be said of any new vehicle vs an old beater. It's pretty dam easy to spend $75K on a pickup these days and the depreciation is off the charts. It will be interesting to see if a 10 year old Tesla loses as much value as a 10 year old Cadillac.

For sure, but then you can't claim you did it to save on gas. I don't think Nissan Leaf can make it this far.
One colleague from work has it and I think he can't make it one way to Chilliwack out of range. It could be some other EV but I believe he has Leaf.
For now, price of EV's is still too high and it takes a lot of years to have a payback in gas vs similar class car with regular gas engine.

twoSevenO
07-25-2019, 06:27 PM
For sure, but then you can't claim you did it to save on gas. I don't think Nissan Leaf can make it this far.
One colleague from work has it and I think he can't make it one way to Chilliwack out of range. It could be some other EV but I believe he has Leaf.
For now, price of EV's is still too high and it takes a lot of years to have a payback in gas vs similar class car with regular gas engine.

The price is high, for sure, but they have crazy rebates. You can basically get $6000 for your $500 beater when you buy a new EV ... or at least they did when my dad looked into buying a Leaf.

I drove a leaf when my BMW was at the tuners and I drove it from Langley to Richmond and back on one charge and it was delivered to me not quite 100% charged.

But they have different battery options so if you got the base model with the weakest battery then yes, it's going to suck.

They're expensive but so is everything else. I was at a Ford dealership for a recall on my F150 and they had a brand new F150, fully loaded and the sticker price was $99,000

That's a hundred grand for an F150!!!!!

Ron.C
07-25-2019, 06:43 PM
That's a hundred grand for an F150!!!!!

That military grade aluminum dont come cheap:rolleyes:

scott h
07-25-2019, 06:43 PM
The first generation Leafs only had a 115 km range, but the newest ones are good for around 350 kms.