PDA

View Full Version : Region 4 JR/SR Season

Seeadler
09-25-2007, 08:52 AM
I am curious, how did the youth/senior season for antlerless elk in Region 4 go? I was out looking for a bull for a couple days and did not hear many shots, and the few older fellows that I spoke too had no success (didn't run into any kids).

Elkaholic
09-25-2007, 09:18 AM
I am curious, how did the youth/senior season for antlerless elk in Region 4 go? I was out looking for a bull for a couple days and did not hear many shots, and the few older fellows that I spoke too had no success (didn't run into any kids).

To put it mildly it was a massacre, cows were being shot everywhere. As soon as one would step out of the timber BOOM it was dead. The butcher shops here were full of cows. I hope it does what was intended. But if they have it again next year there will be none left to shoot. I really hope they analize it on a year to year basis. OR make it clear in the regs that is has to be under 1100 m because a lot of people did not understand this and as a result there was a lot of unknowing poaching. Now I am not saying these people are poachers all the time, but it is due to the lack of clarity in the regs.

brotherjack
09-25-2007, 10:07 AM
I can't speak to success rates (though I would assume, pretty high - given that driving up on a cow in a clearcut will happen to anyone if they have a day or two to drive around), but the number of trucks in the bush road-hunting has dropped about 90% since the jr/sr season closed. There was bumper-to-bumper traffic in most of the areas close to town right up until the 21'st.

(by the way - I mean no offense to jr/sr hunters - it's a great hunting opportunity, and I see no reason for them to not take every advantage of it).

Seeadler
09-25-2007, 10:18 AM
I was out on the 10th - 13th and heard very few shots, and took a FSR to where I have seen bulls in the past, never even saw another vehicle. Of course the weekend probably saw a big increase in people out and about.

Elkaholic
09-25-2007, 10:36 AM
You must have found a rare location. Most locations as Brotherjack said were bumper to bumper people.

Fisher-Dude
09-25-2007, 10:37 AM
All I heard about in the 2 weeks I was over there was a story about Grandpa being out with his 12 year old grandson. Grandpa dropped a calf elk (his first ever elk) with an open-sights 30/30 in a farmer's field.

To me, that's a HUGE success story.

sparkymacker
09-25-2007, 10:58 AM
All I heard about in the 2 weeks I was over there was a story about Grandpa being out with his 12 year old grandson. Grandpa dropped a calf elk (his first ever elk) with an open-sights 30/30 in a farmer's field.

To me, that's a HUGE success story.

I am with you on that one, that is a moment that grandson will always think of when grandpa is just a memory.

mcrae
09-25-2007, 11:16 AM
When I dropped my bull of at the meat cutters on the 11th of Sept. they had 9 cows in already and more on the way...

I live in the West Koots, and my meat cutter is in the west Koots, so it seems allot of guys travelled to the E. Koots to hunt during the special season. I am not too sure of the area or zone where the cows were taken or when the season started but the meat cutter told me they all came from a senoirs hunt in the E. Koots...

When I dropped off a deer a week later a crew had come through with three elk and six deer all from the E. Koots! It seems it was a decent opportunity for most who went.

Fisher-Dude
09-25-2007, 12:24 PM
Mcrae, you OWE us pics and a story on that 6x6 bull! IIRC, you had a WK elk draw?

mcrae
09-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Ya I had an LEH for 4-16A....

I promise when I get home tonight I will post a pic...

boyd050
09-25-2007, 07:49 PM
well it's been going fairly well, I know of quite a few being taken, My dad was one of them, the butchers have said lots came in, and you certainly could hear the hit shots every day. I was out every day of that season, so all in all I think it went well, Personally I was happy to see that there wasn't too many guys out, hate it when the bush gets too busy!! :lol: