PDA

View Full Version : Tatuk or Finger lakes resort for moose hunting

andrew5
07-18-2019, 12:51 PM
Hi everyone,

first time LEH moose draw for 7-12B. It's only my second year hunting and I am not familiar with the area. I am considering staying at one of these two places for our group hunt, as we don't have a trailer.

would anyone recommend one place over the other? I guess the main consideration would be proximity to prime moose habitat in the MU. I am definitely looking to try and get away from the crowds as well.

are there any other lodges or resorts between PG and Vanderhoof worth considering?

Island Idiots
07-18-2019, 01:32 PM
If finger lake is still operation I would chose that one. Its rustic or it was. You might want to check vacancy.

moosinaround
07-18-2019, 02:20 PM
Both those lakes are a ways from your MU. You will just need to ensure your in your MU before you hammer a bull. The Backroads map book is a good tool, it has overlapping MU boundaries for the different zones, and will let you know when you are close. So does hunt buddy, and a few other apps for your phone. I'd look at what a place to rent would cost, Vs buying a wall tent, and if it's close, I'd opt for getting a wall tent, and setting up in Prime moose country. Canfor uses the road you will be driving to get into 7-12B from Tatuk/Finger, so have a truck radio with the RR road channels on it, so you know when to get out of the way. I hunt 7-12b every year, it has been a challenge, but the moose are in there. PM me if you wish, I can shed a bit of light on it.

Moosin

zurevins
07-18-2019, 02:40 PM
Both of those Resorts are located in MU 7-11 and would require some driving to your 712-B zone. I would recommend camping inside of your LEH zone and hunt focusing on areas with large amounts and tracts of deciduous forests and water. Last week of September and or first week of October.

wideopenthrottle
07-18-2019, 02:44 PM
Both of those Resorts are located in MU 7-11 and would require some driving to your 712-B zone. I would recommend camping inside of your LEH zone and hunt focusing on areas with large amounts and tracts of deciduous forests and water. Last week of September and or first week of October.
my experience as well...they seem to abandon the high country and hang out in the mature poplar groves and near the lakes

andrew5
07-18-2019, 03:07 PM
Thanks everyone. Wall tent is a great idea! I think my neighbor has one that may be available with enough booze and smoked salmon for trade. Hunt Buddy is great indeed. that MU looks like it has been logged to hell and back. Is this due to Pine beetle or just normal forestry work?

I never even thought about monitoring the radio for logging trucks. thank you.

older threads on this MU seem to indicate that it was pretty good moose hunting not too long ago. lots of LEH draws for this area too, so I thought the Moose population would be denser. any thoughts on why the hunting has declined?

moosinaround
07-18-2019, 03:12 PM
Thanks everyone. Wall tent is a great idea! I think my neighbor has one that may be available with enough booze and smoked salmon for trade. Hunt Buddy is great indeed. that MU looks like it has been logged to hell and back. Is this due to Pine beetle or just normal forestry work?

I never even thought about monitoring the radio for logging trucks. thank you.

older threads on this MU seem to indicate that it was pretty good moose hunting not too long ago. lots of LEH draws for this area too, so I thought the Moose population would be denser. any thoughts on why the hunting has declined?
herbicde use, forest fires, mtn pine beetle, predators, un regulated moose harvests, all contributed to moose decline.

wideopenthrottle
07-18-2019, 04:14 PM
knew a forester up there....they selective logged for beetle but then some backroom deals let them go back in and take out everything-even areas already selectively logged...too much open country led to a lot higher moose hunter success rate...have not been back up there for at least 10 years so I am sure things have changed a bit since then.

BStrachan
07-18-2019, 07:16 PM
I was going to recommend finger lake lodge. I've good things about it. Sounds like you'll be camping after all hope you manage to get a wall tent.
Best of luck on your hunt.
Let us all know how it goes.

Leaseman
07-19-2019, 11:28 AM
7-12B.... is that Frank Lake area?

moosinaround
07-19-2019, 01:38 PM
7-12B.... is that Frank Lake area?
East of there a tad!

andrew5
07-20-2019, 10:03 AM
Frank lake is just west of 7-12B

Gr8 white hunter
09-14-2023, 04:24 PM
Has anyone heard if they will be open this year.

todbartell
09-15-2023, 09:16 AM
Has anyone heard if they will be open this year.

From Tatuk's most recent Facebook post Aug30 2023 - "If you're wondering what to do this weekend. Letting you know that we still have cabin availability and boat rentals for the long weekend!"

and from Finger's Aug4 post - "
▪︎Open for Business▪︎
Evacuation orders have finally been lifted and we are able to open up to the public again.
We are taking bookings starting August 11th onward.

•It was a crazy July.
Lightning struck on July 7th and started a fire near us....By July 8th it was out of control. We were fortunate enough to have a fire crew set up camp at our place. They worked so hard day and night to build a guard around the resort, set up sprinklers and always kept us up to date with the fire situation. Luckily the wind stopped blowing in our direction. The fire got 500 meters from the resort, thankfully that is as close as it got to us.

☆We are so thankful for all the fire crews working so hard all around BC and many other places trying to keep everyone safe☆"

Gr8 white hunter
09-15-2023, 10:13 AM
Will we be able to get fuel at your lodge this year.

Gr8 white hunter
09-15-2023, 10:13 AM
Not this year unfortunately. We closed up shop for the season due to the fires, we are under evac order at the moment, just got put under the 2nd order on Sunday.

Gr8 white hunter
09-15-2023, 10:14 AM
That was their response to the question I asked about fuel this year.

Duffyboy
09-19-2023, 05:15 PM
i believe finger lk is closed this year