PDA

View Full Version : PAL Status

Coach Bob
07-17-2019, 09:58 PM
I probably already know the answer which is sweet F-All.

Aug 8, 2019 will be 1. year since my CC was charge for my PAL application.

The application is correct nothing wrong with it was done at the facility I did my course though in Cloverdale. I've called to verify this as well.

Since day 1 my online account has said your application has completed its initial process blah blah blah BS.

From what I'm told its at the CFO in BC - live in Langley. Waiting for background checks I'm told for final approval.
Guaranteed its wherever just sitting collecting more dust.

I've called 10 times !!
Last 2 times the lady (CFO office in BC) said call back in 4 weeks if you haven't heard any reply or received it.
At end of each call lady says she sends an email to CFO letting them know I have inquired about where the F my Pal is.

I called today same written script usual.

I love how the recording says continuously "Thank you for being a responsible firearms owner" I reply everytime well I'm trying lol but you Ain't letting me.

Is there anything else I can do ?
Hunting season is 2 months away not sure thats enough time for it to arrive lol.

Thanks
CB
Or am I just sitting and waiting for who knows how long.

BStrachan
07-17-2019, 10:26 PM
I probably already know the answer which is sweet F-All.

Aug 8, 2019 will be 1. year since my CC was charge for my PAL application.

The application is correct nothing wrong with it was done at the facility I did my course though in Cloverdale. I've called to verify this as well.

Since day 1 my online account has said your application has completed its initial process blah blah blah BS.

From what I'm told its at the CFO in BC - live in Langley. Waiting for background checks I'm told for final approval.
Guaranteed its wherever just sitting collecting more dust.

I've called 10 times !!
Last 2 times the lady (CFO office in BC) said call back in 4 weeks if you haven't heard any reply or received it.
At end of each call lady says she sends an email to CFO letting them know I have inquired about where the F my Pal is.

I called today same written script usual.

I love how the recording says continuously "Thank you for being a responsible firearms owner" I reply everytime well I'm trying lol but you Ain't letting me.

Is there anything else I can do ?
Hunting season is 2 months away not sure thats enough time for it to arrive lol.

Thanks
CB
Or am I just sitting and waiting for who knows how long.

I've been waiting for 1 year and 2 months. I finally got ahold of the fire arms officer on the Island and he asked me couple questions then approved. That was approximately 3 weeks ago.

Coach Bob
07-17-2019, 10:51 PM
I've been waiting for 1 year and 2 months. I finally got ahold of the fire arms officer on the Island and he asked me couple questions then approved. That was approximately 3 weeks ago.

Did you ask to speak with the CFO ?
Is that an option ?

BStrachan
07-17-2019, 11:48 PM
Did you ask to speak with the CFO ?
Is that an option ?

Friend of mine out of Ladysmith had the guys phone number and gave it to me.

dmaxtech
07-17-2019, 11:58 PM
Call you local MP and ask them to contact the CFO on your behalf.

Beau
07-18-2019, 05:07 AM
I had the same issue. It took me a year and 3 months to get mine. I just got it last week. I took my course at the same place in Cloverdale. I contacted my local MP John Aldags office and his case worker (Ajay) sent a bunch of emails, to the local CFO office and also to people in Ottawa. They finally responded a month later, stating they were sorry and they “forgot” to check on my application after it was sent to a CFO, then it was approved the next day. I contacted the CFO office in Surrey over 20 times, however I was never allowed to speak to the CFO. One lady who works at the office also gave me this email - cfp-pcaf@rcmp-grc.gc.ca which gets you into direct contact with the chief firearm person in Ottawa. I hope it works out for you, it’s really a frustrating time and I was always nervous I wasn’t going to get it even though I have no criminal record. Good luck and contact your MP!

Ron.C
07-18-2019, 06:36 AM
Just a question, are these problems with initial applications or renewals?

downsouth204
07-18-2019, 06:40 AM
Call the CFP at 1-800-731-4000 and ask to be transferred to the CFO for your province. If it's been a year, that's 11 months too long. If they are unable to get hold of your references, its just going to sit there collecting dust until you provide references they can contact. If your credit card has been charged, this means that it was approved, so something has gone wrong with mailing it to you.

caddisguy
07-18-2019, 06:53 AM
Credit card is charged upon receipt of the application, so not an indicator of approval status.

The long wait times for initial application (and even some renewal scenarios) are not unheard of, perhaps even common recently.

I've had my renewals pushed through a couple times just by calling in, but I'm not sure if that works for initial applications. You might try asking IF they were able to reach your references and ask if you should have your reference call in.

For what it's worth, with the renewals I have had success 1) being friendly 2) saying that hunting season is starting up soon and am really hoping not to miss out on the season. Then they just put me on hold a few mins, call the CO, tell me it's approved and I'll have it in 2 weeks

snipersights
07-18-2019, 07:10 AM
Mine got held up because of my "record" I have been arrested but never charged. And my driving record apparently came into play because it shows disdain for the law. Not sure if you have had any record or whatever but that definitely affects it. I called and waited the 45 minutes to get that explination.

elch jager
07-18-2019, 08:59 AM
Curious if your criminal record is squeaky clean or if perhaps they are spending a bit more time digging into the details of something that got their interest...?

If you are a model citizen, then this lengthy delay is really unusual... perhaps the liberal government is already applying their 'increased background checks' going back way more than 5 years...

My highschool daze would come back to haunt me if they looked back to the 70's and 80's...

BrookTrout
07-18-2019, 12:11 PM
I’ve been waiting for my card for 7 months now I called and they said my PAL is valid it just needs to be printed and sent. They also told me they have been having problems with there printer.

IronNoggin
07-18-2019, 12:14 PM
... They also told me they have been having problems with there printer.

Same printer that supposedly has been giving them grief for months upon months now. Convenient Lie?

My Lady's PAL is up for renewal. She requires that for work.
Will let you know how long it takes after being submitted.

Cheers,
Nog

BStrachan
07-18-2019, 12:31 PM
I just called and they lady I spoke with said they are experiencing technical difficulties and printing the licenses is taking longer than expected.

BStrachan
07-18-2019, 12:32 PM
Same printer that supposedly has been giving them grief for months upon months now. Convenient Lie?

My Lady's PAL is up for renewal. She requires that for work.
Will let you know how long it takes after being submitted.

Cheers,
Nog

Shoot sorry Nog, didnt see you already mentioned the printer.

BStrachan
07-18-2019, 12:32 PM
I’ve been waiting for my card for 7 months now I called and they said my PAL is valid it just needs to be printed and sent. They also told me they have been having problems with there printer.

Bang you and I both

russm
07-18-2019, 12:53 PM
My renewal took longer than it should have because I had gotten married since I first got it and my wife had to call in to say she was cool with me owning guns, once she called I had it in a couple of days.

bc7mm
07-18-2019, 01:05 PM
My renewal took forever the last two times. I eventually got to talk to someone who could explain the problem, both times it was because of my RPAL. 15 seconds to straighten it out but 6 to 8 months to find someone who cared enough to bother.

Is this by circumstance or design hmm, have to wonder sometimes.

Ron.C
07-18-2019, 01:14 PM
My renewal took forever the last two times. I eventually got to talk to someone who could explain the problem, both times it was because of my RPAL. 15 seconds to straighten it out but 6 to 8 months to find someone who cared enough to bother.

Is this by circumstance or design hmm, have to wonder sometimes.

I have to renew my RPAL soon. If I may ask, what was the problem and their solution?

Treed
07-18-2019, 10:40 PM
Hmmm, I tried to pay my taxes but my printer was down. How does that work as an excuse? Wait, dog ate my cheque. Sorry, I’m late boss my truck ran out of gas. Why do my excuses get called as bull but theirs keeps on rolling out?? Actually never used any of these cause they are ... excuses! Do what you are supposed to or be honest why you can’t.

RiverOtter
07-18-2019, 10:52 PM
Sooo, you have an RPAL that you attempted to renew well before expiry and even though you're paid up and approved, they haven't sent your card out.

What happens if/when you take your handgun to the range?
Is the cop gonna say, "No worries brother, the gubmint printer is slow, enjoy your day?"

finngun
07-18-2019, 11:07 PM
I send my renew in today..by fast mail...I have about 50days till mine will expired.. I was told ,,if not getting it back till that..no worries there is 6months extension for pal..just cant take guns out of gun safe.. no hunting,,no shooting ......nobody is not gonna kick my door in....whatta brick?, ,,f,,,,g

Ramshot
07-19-2019, 07:15 AM
Went to Costco April 17th for photos for PAL renewal form. Mailed out PAL renewal forms regular mail and $60 Canada post money order for "Reciever general" on April 18th. Recieved my new PAL yesterday. 3 months roughly from mail date till I got it. Guess I got lucky. Ramshot

Visle
07-19-2019, 07:43 AM
My RPAL was very late and I was getting antsy. Kept getting the runaround with no answers . Had submitted my request on-line and that was my mistake.The CFO (some police officer) needed to see a copy of my club membership and when I sent them a copy got my card by return mail. Too bad the firearms on-line application doesn't ask for a copy or mention their necessity in seeing it .Too bad they are too busy to phone and say what the holdup is , I guess they are too busy answering calls from people looking for answers.

Iron Glove
07-19-2019, 08:41 AM
Guess it's time to get off my butt and renew the RPAL.
Having printer problems so where can I go to get a paper copy of the application ??
Service BC a/o Service Canada offices ??

bankshot
07-19-2019, 01:10 PM
You can do the entire application online, take a selfie with your phone and submit it along with payment. No need to even step out to a mailbox, did mine this way in 2017 for a renewal.

IronNoggin
07-19-2019, 02:18 PM
...The CFO (some police officer) needed to see a copy of my club membership and when I sent them a copy got my card by return mail. Too bad the firearms on-line application doesn't ask for a copy or mention their necessity in seeing it.

That's because it is something completely MADE UP by the CFO. NOTHING in the regs require this, it is simply bullshit.

They ran me into non-compliance renewal before last, due to this very issue.
But they certainly scrambled fast when my Lawyer called them and explained what he was going to do to them in court.
Took 3 days after that particular call.

Renewed last fall, even though it wasn't due until April
That time took one week.
Message learned I guess.

Nog

finngun
07-19-2019, 02:45 PM
You can do the entire application online, take a selfie with your phone and submit it along with payment. No need to even step out to a mailbox, did mine this way in 2017 for a renewal.
I,ll try yesterday,,,, actually my son was helping,,,,didn't, go through..crashing...only get my form by comp. Send it in by courier service..waiting

wideopenthrottle
07-19-2019, 03:11 PM
sorry if this is a derail but has anyone got any experience with upgrading from a pal to an rpal? wait times? potential hassles? I need to do this some time in the near future....

Boner
07-19-2019, 03:58 PM
sorry if this is a derail but has anyone got any experience with upgrading from a pal to an rpal? wait times? potential hassles? I need to do this some time in the near future....

Us RPAL’ers are the most scrutinized people in Canada. You’d think we are the bad guys. The first time took forever. And I recall my first restricted purchase took five weeks to complete, it would have been longer but I started to raise a stink.

wideopenthrottle
07-19-2019, 04:23 PM
Us RPAL’ers are the most scrutinized people in Canada. You’d think we are the bad guys. The first time took forever. And I recall my first restricted purchase took five weeks to complete, it would have been longer but I started to raise a stink.

my dad has what used to be my great grand dads collection of old pistols rifles and guns..he has added new ones as well...he told me last summer, in no uncertain terms, that it would get passed to me.....he was very concerned where it would go after I died as my son is not a gun person....I would be happy to pass it to my nephew after I go but I think it will go smoother and less be less stressful if I already have my RPAL in hand

northof49
07-19-2019, 04:34 PM
So I sent renewal for my RPAL online a week ago and didn't see anything requiring I include a copy of my range membership. Do I have to send them a copy now?

RiverOtter
07-19-2019, 04:42 PM
That or wait for their letter requesting it. I ended up faxing them a copy.

REMINGTON JIM
07-19-2019, 04:49 PM
My Wife got her Renewal in 2 months Nearly to the DAY ! RJ

marcus44
07-19-2019, 05:29 PM
My application was processed April 30... Still checking the mailbox daily for my PAL. Been told it's the printer problem previously. Gotta love the guvment

RiverOtter
07-19-2019, 05:33 PM
Interesting, did my online application in early February, as old RPAL expired in March. Got the wrinkles taken care of by May and was told my card was getting sent out...Well it just arrived today.

Weird thing is, it doesn't expire until March 2025. Math ain't my gifting, but that seems awful close to 6 years away. My other cards have always expired in 5.

Something change, or is the gubmint just happy I'm a responsible gun owner. :)

caddisguy
07-19-2019, 05:36 PM
So I sent renewal for my RPAL online a week ago and didn't see anything requiring I include a copy of my range membership. Do I have to send them a copy now?

You can just email it in and say "in reference to renewal for (license number) please find the attached proof of gun club membership"

I did that, got a confirmation email saying they forwarded along the info to the appropriate person. I think it even gets the process going faster. I checked a few days later online and it was already approved (less than 1 week from submitting online to approval) I suspect when they open up your rifle to link up the membership, they just smash the old "approve" button while they're at it :)

wideopenthrottle
07-19-2019, 05:43 PM
do you think they are trying to pry the hand guns out of collectors that don't shoot anymore with this tactic of asking for a proof of membership?...

Hugh Mann
07-19-2019, 08:14 PM
I have never understood how it can take so damn long for some people to get their Pal. I received my pal+rpal 3-4 days after the minimum possible wait time. Everyone's application should be like that.

northof49
07-19-2019, 10:09 PM
You can just email it in and say "in reference to renewal for (license number) please find the attached proof of gun club membership"

I did that, got a confirmation email saying they forwarded along the info to the appropriate person. I think it even gets the process going faster. I checked a few days later online and it was already approved (less than 1 week from submitting online to approval) I suspect when they open up your rifle to link up the membership, they just smash the old "approve" button while they're at it :)

Good to know....I will try it out. Thx

boxhitch
07-20-2019, 05:29 AM
do you think they are trying to pry the hand guns out of collectors that don't shoot anymore with this tactic of asking for a proof of membership?...I doubt anyone is loosing guns over it.
Someone came up with the idea that the only logical reason to own a handgun in Canada was to use it in sport shooting/ target sports, so somehow having a club membership insures that is the intended use. More paper BS not based in reality from the likes of wendy

Joegle
07-20-2019, 08:09 AM
A few years ago when I took my RPAL at silvercore, and if I remember correctly- they were legally required to have it processed in 28 business days. I called after 6 weeks, said their time was up and asked why was there an issue. The woman gave me a number and told me to have my references call. They called an hour later, and 2 days after that I was approved.

bc7mm
07-21-2019, 06:48 AM
Sorry RON.C been away fishin:

The last time the problem was that I don’t have any restricted guns registered, they asked why, I explained that I owned a couple 35 years ago but don’t now. Simple enough to sort out, but I guess it is on me to phone them if they have a problem with my re-cert.

The time before they contacted me with a similar concern, seconds to sort out but then I waited months. I eventually contacted them and they repeated the same question , I received it in a few days. I got the impression it got lost in their re-cert shell game.

whitlers
07-21-2019, 11:06 AM
Just got my restricted back. Took a little over 2 months this time.

Grumpa Joe
07-21-2019, 11:37 AM
If they are waiting on reference checks, get the file number and have your references phone them otherwise if they try and don't get a hold of them it goes to the stagnant pile. My PAL expired (Oooooppppps) so I had to reapply. Decided I may as well get my RPAL as I had done the testing but didn't want to go through the hassle of the whole reapplication process at that time. Kept phoning the RCMP until a woman actually dug it out , gave me the reference number and advice. Most helpful person that I have ever dealt with there. I was super polite and respectful when talking to her and it worked. Had my references call and had my license back 7 weeks from when I mailed the application.

finngun
07-22-2019, 10:08 AM
If they need it WHY it is not asked in first place??...why later,,slowing down whole process..

Boner
07-22-2019, 11:15 AM
If they need it WHY it is not asked in first place??...why later,,slowing down whole process..

Exactly. It wouldn’t be any harder than a photo attachment. In fact, it could be exactly that. An attached photo of a club membership.

But that makes too much sense.

Dash
07-22-2019, 11:28 AM
Great... I let mine expire and renewed it shortly after in June... I checked the status online and it says it was processed and approved and to call if I don't receive it in 2 weeks.. I wonder when it'll actually arrive.. Reading all these posts has me a bit worried now.

dakoda62
07-22-2019, 11:48 AM
Finally got mine in the mail today. started application Mar 3.

marcus44
07-22-2019, 08:31 PM
I just called today and they told me mine was printed on Friday and sent for mail out. Fingers crossed that I will have it by next week

Dash
07-23-2019, 10:13 AM
Well sure enough.. Called and was told due to "technical difficulties" they're printing the licenses in limited capacity and mine has not been printed and they cannot give me any sort of eta as to when it will be printed....

northof49
07-23-2019, 10:38 AM
Well isn’t that just ducky. Most likely wait until they have a few hundred to print/process to keep costs down.

BCTRUCKER
07-24-2019, 11:53 AM
I did my renewal on line. Restricted and had it back in 2 1\2 weeks. My hunting partner has been waiting a year and a half. It doesn't make sense why there is such a long wait times for some.

Boner
07-24-2019, 03:16 PM
I did my renewal on line. Restricted and had it back in 2 1\2 weeks. My hunting partner has been waiting a year and a half. It doesn't make sense why there is such a long wait times for some.

Did you supply a copy of your range membership? Or did you have to contact anyone regarding it? My last go around took 6 or 8 months, and was only resolved when I called the CFO and provided proof of range membership.

northof49
07-24-2019, 03:44 PM
I contacted them last week (2wks after submitting RPAL renewal online) and was told my renewal was just transferred to CFO unit office for review and processing. I asked if they needed a copy of my Range Pass and mentioned the online application didn’t request it. I told them I would like to email a copy of my range membership in case needed and to avoid any delays processing. Then emailed a copy along with my renewal Ref#....now wait and see.

marcus44
07-25-2019, 06:33 PM
Got my PAL today, just short of 3 months since it was received for processing

HankBC
07-25-2019, 09:47 PM
Got my PAL restricted this morning, was a renewal I sent in May. Phoned in a week and a half ago to check, hadn’t been printed. I updated my shipping address to my office and she said that would bump me in the queue. I guess it did!

antlerking
07-27-2019, 12:28 PM
Delays usually happen when applying for RPAL because of inability to check references! They will try phoning once and if unable to reach your references will leave a message. It is then your references responsibility to return the call and your application then sits on hold! Had that problem first time applying , last time was incredible had renewed RPAL in less then 10 days!

duckhunter1488
07-28-2019, 01:03 PM
I sent in my renewal online in January and I still haven't received my license. I called them a couple weeks back and they told me they were going to "talk to the CFO in my area" but I haven't had any updates. Brutal.

northof49
08-09-2019, 02:13 PM
I contacted them last week (2wks after submitting RPAL renewal online) and was told my renewal was just transferred to CFO unit office for review and processing. I asked if they needed a copy of my Range Pass and mentioned the online application didn’t request it. I told them I would like to email a copy of my range membership in case needed and to avoid any delays processing. Then emailed a copy along with my renewal Ref#....now wait and see.

Just phoned for an update. RPAL was printed and mailed a week ago so should see it today or early next week. That’s 3wks from submitting online with photo off my cell phone to it being printed and mailed. I emailed a copy of range pass to CFO office as suggested by Caddisguy even tho it didn’t ask for it during the online application for RPAL. Pretty straight forward...no issues for me. Thanks for the heads-up caddis. If doing RPAL renewal online I recommend attaching scanned image of your range pass to your renewal if RPAL.
Cheers

Coach Bob
08-10-2019, 11:24 PM
Update:
I called every Wednesday for 4 weeks and on the year to the day my cc was processed I got a hold of the CFO and she gave me a brief phone interview. My Pal was accepted then she says there’s a delay in printing. At least it’s on its way a year later.

northof49
08-11-2019, 07:47 AM
^^^What was explanation for delay....must have been a reason?

Dash
08-13-2019, 10:00 AM
Got my pal in the mail today! Huge sigh of relief.. Maybe they're finally getting caught up after their "printing issues"..

IronNoggin
08-13-2019, 10:10 AM
The Missuz applied online 10 days ago.
Her PAL showed today.
Swift enough actually.

Cheers,
Nog

mike31154
08-15-2019, 06:59 AM
My renewal took about 3 weeks after online application.