PDA

View Full Version : Fraser salmon runs blocked

jonz
07-12-2019, 07:56 PM
Not good but at least agencies are working together on it.

https://www.bclocalnews.com/news/freeing-salmon-trapped-at-fraser-river-slide-site-the-focus-of-experts/

cameron0518
07-12-2019, 08:24 PM
Not good but at least agencies are working together on it.

https://www.bclocalnews.com/news/freeing-salmon-trapped-at-fraser-river-slide-site-the-focus-of-experts/

My guess is that it will be too late before they come up with a plan or make an excuse for inaction. Hopefully I am wrong but won't hold my breath.

horshur
07-12-2019, 08:34 PM
Salmon cannon to the rescue!

Jack Russell
07-12-2019, 09:32 PM
Fish are getting through. Water will start dropping. This slide happened last year, and we're worried about the slide "this week". Weird.

This is photo op time.

limit time
07-13-2019, 09:03 AM
Fish are getting through. Water will start dropping. This slide happened last year, and we're worried about the slide "this week". Weird.

This is photo op time.

another reason to close all fishing.

Jack Russell
07-13-2019, 09:26 AM
another reason to close all fishing.

Not really - close fisheries that affect these particular runs. There are plenty of other fisheries available that do not affect early chinooks or stuart river and mid summer sockeye. Your logic is like closing all hunting because there's a shortage of 4 pt mule deer in the Kootenays.

limit time
07-13-2019, 04:15 PM
Not really - close fisheries that affect these particular runs. There are plenty of other fisheries available that do not affect early chinooks or stuart river and mid summer sockeye. Your logic is like closing all hunting because there's a shortage of 4 pt mule deer in the Kootenays.

A shortage of 4 points !? Close all deer hunting also !

ratherbefishin
07-15-2019, 08:38 AM
What annoys me is if this slide occurred last winter,they had the options of blasting the blockage and clearing the river ,something they can’t do when fish are returning.Another example of DFO incompetence

Jack Russell
07-16-2019, 06:30 AM
What annoys me is if this slide occurred last winter,they had the options of blasting the blockage and clearing the river ,something they can’t do when fish are returning.Another example of DFO incompetence

This is what I was thinking, but apparently, although they suspect the slide happened last fall, nobody was aware of it until recently.

They're still trying to figure out what to do.

Bugle M In
07-16-2019, 10:51 AM
They should just do what they did many years ago when the Fraser River became blocked.
(Not sure if it was the Railways or who, but was human caused and blocked the river severely!!, I just cant find the "History" on it)

Anyways, the FN were upset (rightfully so!) at the lack of effort ot fix the issues before it devastated salmon stocks.
So, the builts a wooden "Sluice" you could say.
They got the salmon on the down river side, brought them up to the ramp sluices, and sent them down the ramps till they were passed the
the blocked river.

Do that!
Then, once the runs are done, "light Er up with some TnT" (or whatever they did to fix it back then)

Hublocker
07-16-2019, 11:01 AM
DFO, the Province of BC and news sites report that the slide occurred between June 21 and 23 this year.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/emergency-response-and-recovery/incident-summaries/big-bar-landslide-incident

Where is the evidence that it occurred last year?

Hublocker
07-16-2019, 11:15 AM
They should just do what they did many years ago when the Fraser River became blocked.
(Not sure if it was the Railways or who, but was human caused and blocked the river severely!!, I just cant find the "History" on it)

Anyways, the FN were upset (rightfully so!) at the lack of effort ot fix the issues before it devastated salmon stocks.
They got the salmon on the down river side, brought them up to the ramp sluices, and sent them down the ramps till they were passed the
the blocked river.

Do that!
Then, once the runs are done, "light Er up with some TnT" (or whatever they did to fix it back then)

1913 and 1914 railway blasting blcoked the river and it wasn't really fixed until the building of the fishways began in 1944.

Meanwhile the Adams River run was nearly wiped out and the cycle of dominant and sub-dominant sockeye runs in the river was swapped around from historical returns.

Improvised flumes and transfer of salmon in 1914 got 16,500 sockeye and 850 springs up river past the slide area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hells_Gate_(British_Columbia)

BRvalley
07-16-2019, 12:54 PM
DFO, the Province of BC and news sites report that the slide occurred between June 21 and 23 this year.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/emergency-response-and-recovery/incident-summaries/big-bar-landslide-incident

Where is the evidence that it occurred last year?

In response to a significant landslide discovered between June 21 and 23, 2019 in a narrow portion of the Fraser River near Big Bar, just north of Lillooet, B.C., a unified command incident management team (PDF) (https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/public-safety-and-emergency-services/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/embc/big-bar-landslide-2019/bigbar_unifiedcommand.pdf) has been established.
Officials learned of the Big Bar Landslide in late June. After examining satellite imagery, data indicates the slide may have occurred in late October or early November.

Hublocker
07-16-2019, 01:08 PM
In response to a significant landslide discovered between June 21 and 23, 2019 in a narrow portion of the Fraser River near Big Bar, just north of Lillooet, B.C., a unified command incident management team (PDF) (https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/public-safety-and-emergency-services/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/embc/big-bar-landslide-2019/bigbar_unifiedcommand.pdf) has been established.
Officials learned of the Big Bar Landslide in late June. After examining satellite imagery, data indicates the slide may have occurred in late October or early November.

Thank you.

Bugle M In
07-16-2019, 03:43 PM
1913 and 1914 railway blasting blcoked the river and it wasn't really fixed until the building of the fishways began in 1944.

Meanwhile the Adams River run was nearly wiped out and the cycle of dominant and sub-dominant sockeye runs in the river was swapped around from historical returns.

Improvised flumes and transfer of salmon in 1914 got 16,500 sockeye and 850 springs up river past the slide area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hells_Gate_(British_Columbia)

Thanks Hub, that's the incident I was referring to.
That's why "history" is important folks.
It can tell you what others did and what will work.
And a lot of those folks didn't have university engineering degrees etc.
(Actually, it was probably the Engineers that screwed it all up back then anyways!)

Get the fish over the blockage with assistance and then fix it after the run.
That or put some sort of net up down river to keep salmon from going up (without harming them) and then go ahead and blow it up and open.
Remove net, let salmon go.

limit time
07-16-2019, 05:04 PM

the blocked river.

Do that!

When a slide happened in the past , What did the stewards of the land do ? Maybe they can fix it them self?

ratherbefishin
07-17-2019, 11:12 AM
Yeah,what they need to do RIGHT NOW,not ‘next month’ or after they ‘study it’is to physically get those salmon over the blockage and then clear the channel when the river drops and the fish have all gone though.

Bugle M In
07-17-2019, 07:16 PM
Yeah,what they need to do RIGHT NOW,not ‘next month’ or after they ‘study it’is to physically get those salmon over the blockage and then clear the channel when the river drops and the fish have all gone though.

Exactly.
Figure it out later. (the blockage/slide)
Address the real concern right now to get the salmon upstream past it.

ratherbefishin
07-17-2019, 07:55 PM
That’s not the government way,first they have to document it,then do an environmental study ,then they have to do an geological study on the condition of the rock banks and then they have to study the potential environmental impact of blasting the rock on potential endangered species of bullheads in the river,stonefly larvae and crayfish and then put it out to tender and finally they might do it,over budget and late ...maybe by next spring.Meanwhile we lose a salmon run....that’s the way government operates..

Bugle M In
07-17-2019, 10:14 PM
That’s not the government way,first they have to document it,then do an environmental study ,then they have to do an geological study on the condition of the rock banks and then they have to study the potential environmental impact of blasting the rock on potential endangered species of bullheads in the river,stonefly larvae and crayfish and then put it out to tender and finally they might do it,over budget and late ...maybe by next spring.Meanwhile we lose a salmon run....that’s the way government operates..

Yup, and we wonder why our taxes just keep going up.
In the old days when this happened, they just got a bunch of 2x4's and plywood and some really big hand nets.
Then went to work and got er done!

f350ps
07-17-2019, 10:54 PM
Hahahaha......you nailed it!! You may have forgot one more study though! :) K

ratherbefishin
07-18-2019, 07:59 AM
All studies end with ‘more study is needed’..

IronNoggin
07-18-2019, 03:09 PM
Perspective:

https://scontent.fyvr3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/67494239_10157145255230856_2811385918655561728_n.j pg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_oc=AQmsbD9WT8Mz92WkPNymuwCCAHxLnc_tjA2DyusSa-_P4oQKPt-b3OzNw3WZfaECpOo&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr3-1.fna&oh=51165e2d617d0f319e28752b8db14c4b&oe=5DA89F16

Jack Russell
07-20-2019, 06:01 AM
I heard DFO was notified of the slide by the rancher in the area, in December 2018.

Bugle M In
07-20-2019, 06:35 AM
Perspective:

https://scontent.fyvr3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/67494239_10157145255230856_2811385918655561728_n.j pg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_oc=AQmsbD9WT8Mz92WkPNymuwCCAHxLnc_tjA2DyusSa-_P4oQKPt-b3OzNw3WZfaECpOo&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr3-1.fna&oh=51165e2d617d0f319e28752b8db14c4b&oe=5DA89F16

Have any Pics of "Before" the slide :mrgreen:

Bugle M In
07-20-2019, 06:36 AM
I heard DFO was notified of the slide by the rancher in the area, in December 2018.

Now, that sounds exactly like the DFO!

ruby
07-20-2019, 08:34 AM
Have any Pics of "Before" the slide :mrgreen:

There’s a pic here:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/rock-scalers-making-considerable-progress-clearing-area-above-fraser-river-rock-slide-1.5214400?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

Ride Red
07-20-2019, 11:00 AM
If stupid made money, we’d be a rich country. :roll:

Bugle M In
07-20-2019, 12:13 PM
There’s a pic here:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/rock-scalers-making-considerable-progress-clearing-area-above-fraser-river-rock-slide-1.5214400?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

Thanks.
Interesting to see the difference in water flow.

mpotzold
07-20-2019, 09:25 PM
Trapped spawning salmon to be flown over Fraser River rock slide in B.C.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/holding-pen-helicopter-big-bar-salmon-1.5219433

cameron0518
07-20-2019, 10:45 PM
Nice to see a good decision being made by the DFO! Gotta say I am surprised and impressed!

IronNoggin
07-21-2019, 12:54 PM
Latest: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/public-safety-and-emergency-services/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/19_71w20ay_update_big_bar_landslide_incident_july_ 20.pdf

Bugle M In
07-21-2019, 08:31 PM
Latest: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/public-safety-and-emergency-services/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/19_71w20ay_update_big_bar_landslide_incident_july_ 20.pdf

There we go.
Finally some "getting the hands dirty" rather than just having ink stains on the hands at the end of the day.

IronNoggin
07-28-2019, 11:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KytK3pYbfu4

scoutlt1
08-06-2019, 07:38 PM
So let me get this straight...... Kinder Morgan can fly their pipeline with a helicopter at least once a week to make sure all is well but the DFO or MOE can't check on the most important salmon river on the west coast of Canada once a month or so??

That's beyond f***ed up.

Heard on the news just now that the slide happened in late 2018 (as many of us on here already knew)...

REMINGTON JIM
08-06-2019, 07:47 PM
[QUOTE=scoutlt1;2108363]So let me get this straight...... Kinder Morgan can fly their pipeline with a helicopter at least once a week to make sure all is well but the DFO or MOE can't check on the most important salmon river on the west coast of Canada once a month or so??

That's beyond f***ed up.

Can you Just IMAGINE with proper Smart Honest people running this country just how GREAT it would BE ? RJ

scoutlt1
08-06-2019, 07:52 PM
Can you Just IMAGINE with proper Smart Honest people running this country just how GREAT it would BE ? RJ[/QUOTE]

When I was growing up decades ago yes, I could, and did, imagine that.

Now, not so much....

blacklab
08-07-2019, 07:59 PM
Does anyone else remember the plan for the Moran Dam?

abbyfireguy
08-09-2019, 03:50 PM
The fishladder they are building is almost done. That should help a lot.

russm
08-09-2019, 04:19 PM
I haven’t been paying much attention to this land slide situation, but couldn’t a net have been put right across the river a ways downstream to hold the fish back while they blast it then just pull the net and be done with it?

Modeltwelve
08-09-2019, 04:48 PM
How would explosives be placed to clear material blocking the river when the salmon can't even make it through. I assume everyone has viewed the video and seen the current through there.

604ksmith
08-09-2019, 04:55 PM
I haven’t been paying much attention to this land slide situation, but couldn’t a net have been put right across the river a ways downstream to hold the fish back while they blast it then just pull the net and be done with it?

I've heard (could be a rumour) that was an option considered, but the distance required to hold the fish back from a blast where the sediment run off wouldn't have killed them was not feasible.

scoutlt1
08-09-2019, 08:50 PM
Maybe the "powers that be" should look after the most important salmon bearing river in western Canada....

The slide occured in October or November last year? Ya think they would have known about it and done something about it before now???

Not enough tax dollars in the DFO and "Environment and Climate Change Canada" to have a look every now and then???

And where's the "news" reports on this? They were all over it before the info came out as to when the slide actually happened....

F***ing joke.

Absolute sad f****ing joke...

f350ps
08-09-2019, 09:08 PM
I've heard (could be a rumour) that was an option considered, but the distance required to hold the fish back from a blast where the sediment run off wouldn't have killed them was not feasible.
This whole situation is a total DFO fu#k up, they should all be fired, including the Federal Fisheries minister!!! He stated on live TV that they don't monitor the Fraser very often, are you kidding me, the most important river on the south coast! This happened in late November and he didn't know about it until June?? That's total bullshit, what would it cost to have a chopper pick up a fisheries guy in Hope and fly the canyon once a month? I'll tell you how much, nothing compared to the loss that is now happening! This post isn't aimed at you 604 but it made me say something. There's maybe a million fish staging at the river mouth in the next couple weeks, blow that obstruction outta there and if it makes things worse keep blasting till it's done! As it stands right now we're going to see some major devistations to our Salmon stocks as they've only moved 5000 fish over the slide as of yesterday! Rant over! K

ryanonthevedder
08-10-2019, 12:44 PM
How many were chastised or jailed over the cod collapse? Same as will see responsibility for the salmon collapse.

tubby
08-11-2019, 09:39 AM
Fish are getting through.
-acoustic sounders above the have been in place and removed numerous times.
-What are the numbers of fish that have made it above the slide? Why is DFO not releasing these numbers?
- 90k sockeye have now reached the slide. If fish were not getting past the slide the back eddy would be black with fish.
-All the press conferences have been more of a FN appeasement media show

this whole situation is all smoke and mirrors

Red_Mist
08-23-2019, 11:00 PM
Would a salmon cannon help ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zh8rzLGyLz0

Bugle M In
08-23-2019, 11:11 PM
Would a salmon cannon help ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zh8rzLGyLz0
Now, that s awesome stuff right there.
When they scan the fish, do they take blood pressure and HR readings??...you know, to make sure it wont get a frickin heart attack when it hits the "elevator express":mrgreen:
Maybe they can play AC/DC "highway to hell" just for their listening pleasure as well.....seems appropriate!!

Jagermeister
12-11-2019, 03:01 AM
:shock:I just couldn't help myself.

" High on the Chilcotin plateau in British Columbia's Interior, the chief of a local First Nation says ⑴the traditional diet of its members is threatened by a landslide more than 150 kilometres away.

Tl'etinqox Chief Joe Alphonse, who also represents five other local nations as tribal chairman of the ⑵Tsilhqot'in National Government, says Fraser River tributaries once teeming with salmon have shown paltry returns since the Big Bar landslide was discovered in June.

"On a good year, you can run across the river on the backs of sockeye, that's how thick our rivers are. And bright, bright, bright almost fluorescent orange colour, it's an awesome sight," he said. Alphonse estimated up to 170,000 sockeye returned to local tributaries this year where the annual average is closer to one million.

While the slide occurred in the traditional territory of the High Bar and Stswecem'c Xgat'tem First Nations, the Tsilhqot'in are among another 140 First Nations that the federal government has said could also feel the effects.

⑵Members are concerned Ottawa isn't doing enough to prevent further damage to stocks, and that the public may not realize there is still a crisis because salmon runs are finished for the season, he said.

On Nov. 15, the Tsilhqot'in government sent a letter to the office of the fisheries minister requesting an update on the department's progress, including monitoring and contingency plans should mitigation fail. The letter asks for immediate updates when work barriers are encountered, in the interest of a "collective and transparent approach.

"Stocks already faced challenges of historic overfishing and habitat loss and the landslide could prove an extirpating blow, Alphonse said. The possible loss of salmon, combined with a decline in moose populations because of the 2017 wildfires, means wild meats are scarce in region. "A lot of our people live way under what the Canadian society would consider the poverty line, but a lot of our people are able to do that because they can still obtain a lot of their sustenance through hunting and fishing," he said. Fishing also plays an important cultural role in the community, and five months of the local calendar year are named for salmon or trout, Alphonse said. "It's huge, huge, huge, the impact on my community," he said.

The Tsilhqot'in aren't alone in calling for more action.

On Monday, the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs issued a media release on behalf of the First Nations Leadership Council asking the federal and provincial governments to declare a state of emergency, and for resources to be prioritized to remove the obstruction within the next 60 days. It also asks the federal government to identify and fund a working group, including representatives from affected First Nations:shock:, to monitor the efforts and develop contingency plans in response to the crisis.⑶

No one from the Department of Fisheries and Oceans was immediately available for comment, but it held a media briefing last week updating the progress of federal, provincial and local efforts.The department said water levels are beginning to drop on the river, presenting the only opportunity to remove enormous amounts of rock blocking salmon migration routes before spring and summer runs arrive.Officials warned there's a "high risk" they won't be successful in rescuing the threatened salmon before the 2020 season. "

⑴ Hey Joe, I think the CREATOR is trying to tell you something, doncha think? After all, it was an Act of GOD.
⑵ Hey Joe, You're the tribal chairman of your national government, what are your contingency plans?
⑶ There they go again, asking the taxpaying Canadians for more money yet again.

Since it was an Act of GOD that caused the slide, then it stands to reason that it should be an Act of GOD to remove it, not the Canadian Taxpayer.

Piperdown
12-11-2019, 06:52 AM
I have said it before Joe is just a fat useless POS

Ride Red
12-11-2019, 07:26 AM
:shock:I just couldn't help myself.

" High on the Chilcotin plateau in British Columbia's Interior, the chief of a local First Nation says ⑴the traditional diet of its members is threatened by a landslide more than 150 kilometres away.

Tl'etinqox Chief Joe Alphonse, who also represents five other local nations as tribal chairman of the ⑵Tsilhqot'in National Government, says Fraser River tributaries once teeming with salmon have shown paltry returns since the Big Bar landslide was discovered in June.

"On a good year, you can run across the river on the backs of sockeye, that's how thick our rivers are. And bright, bright, bright almost fluorescent orange colour, it's an awesome sight," he said. Alphonse estimated up to 170,000 sockeye returned to local tributaries this year where the annual average is closer to one million.

While the slide occurred in the traditional territory of the High Bar and Stswecem'c Xgat'tem First Nations, the Tsilhqot'in are among another 140 First Nations that the federal government has said could also feel the effects.

⑵Members are concerned Ottawa isn't doing enough to prevent further damage to stocks, and that the public may not realize there is still a crisis because salmon runs are finished for the season, he said.

On Nov. 15, the Tsilhqot'in government sent a letter to the office of the fisheries minister requesting an update on the department's progress, including monitoring and contingency plans should mitigation fail. The letter asks for immediate updates when work barriers are encountered, in the interest of a "collective and transparent approach.

"Stocks already faced challenges of historic overfishing and habitat loss and the landslide could prove an extirpating blow, Alphonse said. The possible loss of salmon, combined with a decline in moose populations because of the 2017 wildfires, means wild meats are scarce in region. "A lot of our people live way under what the Canadian society would consider the poverty line, but a lot of our people are able to do that because they can still obtain a lot of their sustenance through hunting and fishing," he said. Fishing also plays an important cultural role in the community, and five months of the local calendar year are named for salmon or trout, Alphonse said. "It's huge, huge, huge, the impact on my community," he said.

The Tsilhqot'in aren't alone in calling for more action.

On Monday, the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs issued a media release on behalf of the First Nations Leadership Council asking the federal and provincial governments to declare a state of emergency, and for resources to be prioritized to remove the obstruction within the next 60 days. It also asks the federal government to identify and fund a working group, including representatives from affected First Nations:shock:, to monitor the efforts and develop contingency plans in response to the crisis.⑶

No one from the Department of Fisheries and Oceans was immediately available for comment, but it held a media briefing last week updating the progress of federal, provincial and local efforts.The department said water levels are beginning to drop on the river, presenting the only opportunity to remove enormous amounts of rock blocking salmon migration routes before spring and summer runs arrive.Officials warned there's a "high risk" they won't be successful in rescuing the threatened salmon before the 2020 season. "

⑴ Hey Joe, I think the CREATOR is trying to tell you something, doncha think? After all, it was an Act of GOD.
⑵ Hey Joe, You're the tribal chairman of your national government, what are your contingency plans?
⑶ There they go again, asking the taxpaying Canadians for more money yet again.

Since it was an Act of GOD that caused the slide, then it stands to reason that it should be an Act of GOD to remove it, not the Canadian Taxpayer.

#1 problem for salmon declines over the last 30 years; lower Fraser River netting, plain and simple.

limit time
12-11-2019, 09:47 AM
They want to control it? They can do it.

IronNoggin
12-18-2019, 11:23 AM
https://youtu.be/eiobADnB86c

Dec 13, 2019

Meeting with the new federal fisheries minister and several B.C. Members of Parliament from across the parties, the top priority was to reiterate the need for action now to clear the Big Bar landslide. This is an emergency that requires mobilization immediately, before already depleted salmon stocks start to return next summer. There has not been a crisis like this for wild salmon since the Hell’s Gate slide 100 years ago.

We have included a copy of the letter sent by Mike to all Members of Parliament after the recent election outlining PSF priorities for the new federal Parliament. Visit https://www.psf.ca/document-library/l... (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.psf.ca%2Fdocument-library%2Fletter-mps-december-2019&v=eiobADnB86c&event=video_description&redir_token=VCzr3tfBfBdS76EKBmO8P6GfaMF8MTU3NjY5OT MzMUAxNTc2NjEyOTMx) to access the letter.

We also encourage you to watch the new interview about Big Bar with PSF Vice President for Salmon, Jason Hwang. This is the second video in a new monthly series called Salmon Matter, filmed in partnership with Conversations that Matter.

https://youtu.be/oPVlaSpu1uQ

Now is the time for all of us who care about Pacific salmon to contact your Member of Parliament and Provincial MLA’s to make sure both levels of government have all the resources and encouragement they need to act now on Big Bar. You are also encouraged to reiterate the need for action on the other key PSF priorities outlined in Mike's letter.

IronNoggin
12-18-2019, 11:25 AM
The noted letter:

Dear MP,

Congratulations on your election to the House of Commons. My colleagues at the Pacific Salmon Foundation (PSF) and I look forward to working with you in the future. I also write to outline several important policy and budget priorities that we ask you to consider in the 43rd Canadian Parliament.

Following a divisive political season, I believe we should acknowledge that Pacific salmon are of concern to a wide spectrum of business, political, community and Indigenous leaders, and their conservation can be an issue of “collective resolve” for citizens and MP’s across partisan divides.

PSF’s vision is two-fold. First, healthy, sustainable and naturally diverse populations of Pacific salmon for the benefit of ecosystems and Canadians for generations to come. Second, effective stewardship of natural resources in B.C. and the Yukon that involve communities in decisions affecting Pacific salmon.

This has been a particularly challenging year for Pacific salmon, leading many to the conclusion that we are in a “salmon crisis.” Sockeye returns to the Fraser River this year are the lowest on record. Certain Chinook stocks from the B.C. Interior were predicted to return in such dwindling numbers that widespread fisheries closures were established in the spring. The tipping point came in July with the Big Bar rockslide in the Fraser River near Kamloops, which obstructed the passage of thousands of salmon trying to return to their natal streams to spawn.

Despite the challenges, there are reasons to be optimistic. First, Pacific salmon are resilient and have been adapting for millions of years. Second, British Columbians are passionate about sustaining Pacific salmon, with more than 35,000 volunteers across the province who regularly volunteer on important conservation and restoration projects. Third, we have a world-class “salmon network” of scientists, conservation organizations and Indigenous leaders with the knowledge and wherewithal to work hand-in-glove with governments to sustain Pacific salmon for future generations.

Recent commitments to Pacific salmon made by the federal and provincial governments, such as the B.C. Salmon Restoration and Innovation Fund (BCSRIF), represent significant steps forward. Still, what we need now and most urgently is the political leadership to do much more for Pacific salmon. This will mean major increases and on-going investments by the federal government that expand programs like the Salmon Conservation Stamp, DFO’s Salmonid Enhancement Program, and the Oceans Protection Plan, including the Coastal Restoration Fund and BCSRIF that directly support communities and non-governmental organizations like PSF.

It will be up to all MP’s from all parties in British Columbia to make Pacific salmon an urgent priority. We have no time to waste given the state of many Pacific salmon stocks. PSF is calling on our B.C. MP’s to urgently advance federal government policies and a 2020 budget that will address the crisis situation faced by Pacific salmon.

Here are several recommendations for you and other B.C. MP’s to advance in Ottawa.

 URGENT ACTION ON BIG BAR SLIDE: The Big Bar obstruction in the Fraser River is the major and present issue for Pacific salmon in British Columbia. We recently communicated with the Minister of Fisheries calling for continued urgency and vigilance to remove this major obstruction before salmon start returning next spring. Affected salmon stocks that spawn above the obstruction are already of critical conservation concern, prompting significant fishing restrictions last year. The federal and provincial government have worked hard and in a coordinated fashion to open some passage for Pacific salmon. We understand that large numbers of salmon did make it past the rockslide, but that the main factor that allowed passage was the drop in water levels that occurred naturally in late August. While this was good news for a few salmon populations, the impediment to salmon migration during higher flow periods remains and continues to pose a serious migration risk for salmon in 2020. There has not been a problem of this proportion for Fraser River salmon in the last 100 years, since the Hell’s Gate rockslide in 1914! Failure to fully restore salmon passage will have serious biological, economic and socio-cultural consequences that will have repercussions for years to come. This situation should be considered an on-going national emergency that merits every government and private sector resource at our disposal to open this obstruction before winter weather makes such an effort impossible.

 RESTORE ADEQUATE BUDGET FOR STOCK ASSESSMENT: Quality stock assessment data is fundamental in order to properly manage conservation of Pacific salmon and maintain fisheries. Unfortunately, DFO’s ability to meet well-established salmon assessment programs has experienced significant reductions during the last decade with deleterious effect. For example, lack of stock assessment data was cited recently by the Canadian Pacific salmon industry when it voluntarily suspended its Marine Stewardship Council eco-certification of B.C. chum, pink and sockeye, including Fraser River sockeye. Funds have been provided by the current government to restore some of the shortfalls in meeting DFO’s obligations. Still, we estimate that the DFO Pacific region’s current stock assessment budget is down by roughly 25%. The result is a decreasing number of assessment projects and activities further fueling the public unease that DFO is not adequately tracking fish status nor on top of the events affecting fisheries sustainability. Dramatically improving DFO stock assessment of Pacific salmon will also be required for the implementation of the recently renewed Pacific Salmon treaty with the United States.

 MORE RESOURCES FOR DFO’S SALMON ENHANCEMENT PROGRAM: The federal Salmonid Enhancement Program (SEP) needs a major infusion of new funds to support community enhancement and conservation of Pacific salmon. This program works closely with PSF and focuses on vulnerable salmon stocks, provides harvest opportunities, and improves fish habitat to sustain salmon populations. It does so by empowering people in Indigenous and community organizations across British Columbia. Despite many successes, the SEP budget has had no inflationary adjustments for 15 years, resulting in a loss of about $6M in annual spending power over that time. A ripple affect is that PSF’s network of thousands of volunteer salmon stewards are struggling to maintain stewardship programs and community enhancement infrastructure. More is urgently needed amidst salmon declines to upgrade small-scale community hatchery infrastructure, build more spawning and rearing habitat, and expand low-cost innovative technology and citizen science.

 INCREASE SALMON CONSERVATION STAMP TO AT LEAST $10: An important companion step is to increase the cost of the federal Salmon Conservation Stamp from $6 to at least $10 for the support of community-based Pacific salmon conservation, enhancement and restoration. Funds from this user fee are granted by PSF to a network of 340+ volunteer salmon stewardship groups across British Columbia and every $1 from the Stamp generates another $7 in value with local fundraising and volunteerism! This is a user-fee adjustment, thus no direct cost relative to the federal budget. The minimum $4 adjustment accounts for inflation compounded since 1996, as well as increased demand from community-based grantees. This adjustment will generate another $1 million annually (based on past Salmon Stamp sales), with an expected $6 million in leverage. PSF needs MP support to encourage DFO to proceed with the consultation required by the Services Fee Act as soon as possible. (See attached proposal.)

 MOVE TO CLOSED-CONTAINMENT SALMON FARMING: The new Government has committed to a transition from open-net-pen to closed-containment salmon aquaculture in British Columbia by 2025. PSF called for this transition in 2018 because of the combination of three key considerations: the report of the B.C. Minister of Agriculture Advisory Committee on Finfish Aquaculture; the results of our own research (Strategic Salmon Health lnitiative); and the chronically low abundance of many wild Pacific salmon populations. We look forward to learning more about next steps and, in the interim, will continue to strongly encourage that DFO’s management of aquaculture put the health and well-being of Pacific salmon first.

All of us at the Pacific Salmon Foundation and thousands of “salmon stewards” in British Columbia look forward to your leadership on behalf of Pacific salmon during the 43rd Canadian Parliament. We welcome the opportunity to discuss these ideas and to work with you to urgently address the challenges facing Pacific salmon.

Sincerely,
Michael J. Meneer
President and CEO
Pacific Salmon Foundation

dougan
12-18-2019, 12:54 PM
Fish farms are not the issue. There is not one shred of evidence to substantiate it. Just paid for extremists pushing there agendas .

Opinionated Ol Phart
12-18-2019, 04:40 PM
I like what Meneer had to say...INCLUDING getting fish farms onto dry land. ( and where have you been Dougan ??? )

dougan
12-18-2019, 04:53 PM
I like what Meneer had to say...INCLUDING getting fish farms onto dry land. ( and where have you been Dougan ??? )
Where is evidence fish farms cause harm ? One document please! And not one from David sazuki he’s a twat. The rest of that article I liked . 2300 orcas in Alaska are eating bc salmon by the thousands seals as well. The biggest killer of Chinook salmon believe it or not is grey harrons . Everyone needs to stop buying the bull shit . If you think seals are to blame go kill some and do your part and don’t advertise. If your waiting for government to do it your an idiot. Psf had a presentation where they said society just won’t accept seal cull .... we’ll if that’s what needs to happen who cares what urban city asshole society thinks .... just do it and shut up about it.

303savage
12-18-2019, 05:16 PM
Get a high lead logging contractor in there. they could figure out how to grapple the rocks to spread them out a bit.

dougan
12-18-2019, 05:24 PM
Get a high lead logging contractor in there. they could figure out how to grapple the rocks to spread them out a bit.
F-18 maybe two let em go hot.

redhunter
12-18-2019, 06:05 PM
Almost a year has passed since this slide and DFO are still diddling around. The Hells Gate slide was fixed by US engineers after our federal government of the time ruined the biggest run of sockeye in existence at that time. I have little to no faith in DFO getting this done but I expect to see a bunch of "politicking" on this from the feds and the FN.

Arctic Lake
12-20-2019, 11:04 AM
Saw the news last night and it seems they should act now while water levels are low . Geeezzzz just get it done we need those salmon !
Arctic Lake

Bugle M In
12-20-2019, 04:40 PM
Saw the news last night and it seems they should act now while water levels are low . Geeezzzz just get it done we need those salmon !
Arctic Lake

They are repeating the same BS as they did last year when it first happened....which was nothing!
Which makes you realize just how little any government cares about any wildlife issues UNLESS it benefits them politically, like the Gbear ban.

As the news said, the time is now to correct the river, at least to the best possible.

Interesting thing, and I agree, as a river ages, it cuts deeper and deeper into the ground naturally.
The embankments are much higher. much more steeper and much more unstable.
I guess situations like this will happen more often so I think its best to start "perfecting" how to correct it for future reference.
Wont be the last time and probably more frequent.

IronNoggin
01-06-2020, 11:16 AM
Email from a Buddy:

Received this last night.

The Premier’s office organized a technical briefing late last year.

Essentially, about 275,000 fish made it past the slide, mainly by natural passage, with some 60,000 being transported, most of which were unlikely to spawn.

Early Stuart sockeye (<100 spawners out of 21,000), mid and Upper Fraser spring 1.3 chinook are at grave risk of extinction. Early summer and summer sockeye and mid-Fraser 1.3 summer chinook are at “considerable” risk of extinction. The slide is expected to prevent passage for most of the 2020 migration season.

The site is very remote (the slide went unnoticed for more than six months) requiring crews to scale the rock face for access and some 110,000 cubic metres of debris under the surface.

The goal of the Joint Command (DFO, FLNRO and FN) is to restore sustained natural passage. It has taken extensive advice from the Armed Forces, US Army Corps of Engineers, Rio Tinto and other mining and construction companies. Remediation work risks further slides.

With water flow dropping recently to under 600 cubic metres per second, the federal government has just contracted Peter Kiewit Sons ULC to remove rock and debris between now and March before spring freshet makes further operations impossible.

Some limited strategic enhancement took place in 2019 and is under consideration for 2020.

The consequences for all South Coast fisheries are likely to be severe.

Jagermeister
01-06-2020, 02:10 PM
I for one am not willing to spend 5˘ of taxpayers money on something that is an act of GOD and if it requires FN participation. It's all too easy for the FN to demand action where they are spending someone else's hard earned money. Maybe GOD will send a torrent of spring time runoff and clear the boulder mass away. Sorry, but that the way I see it.

IronNoggin
01-14-2020, 11:51 AM
Contract awarded for crucial winter work to restore slide-impacted Fraser Riverhttps://globalnews.ca/news/6405500/contract-awarded-restoration-work-fraser-river/

358mag
01-14-2020, 12:17 PM
Contract awarded for crucial winter work to restore slide-impacted Fraser River

https://globalnews.ca/news/6405500/contract-awarded-restoration-work-fraser-river/
Good news , hopefully they can get the job done safely for all party's .

russm
01-14-2020, 12:30 PM
Shouldve netted it down stream to block fish, blast the blockage and release the net,seems easy to me

358mag
01-14-2020, 02:45 PM
Hey Justin , just make a phone call to the Donald have him set up a little drone practice on that rock side , quick easy fix .

IronNoggin
01-28-2020, 11:35 AM
Noting that the cold weather has hampered the efforts to deal with the slide, the new Fisheries Minister could not miss an opportunity to put a positive spin on the matter:

"It's just such an inaccessible area and it's been a gargantuan effort between the federal government the provincial government and First Nations," Donaldson said. "The relationships built between those three levels of government has been amazing."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/big-bar-landslide-winter-1.5440377

Unfortunately if those words were true, we would be one hell of a lot further along in dealing with the matter... :roll:

Nog

boxhitch
01-28-2020, 01:36 PM
by the time the three gov'ts get their relationship building exercise done and the contractor waits for nice weather and gets his fn'ing workers together, the time will be gone.

srupp
01-28-2020, 04:20 PM
Hmm reconciliation boys word of the day..same BS reason Oppenheimer park is a cesspool of needles, dangers..no go even for police..
this river blockage wont float if it needs 3 different governments.
Dont do it we will pay natives for ceremonial sacred loss of fish they sell
Srupp