PDA

View Full Version : Shooting sticks

BStrachan
07-10-2019, 10:53 AM
Good morning everyone
Curious to know how many of you use shooting sticks? I've thought about buying a pair but at the same time that is just another thing I would have to pack with me.
Any pros or cons with using shooting sticks besides always having a rest for your gun.
Thank you,
Have a good day

todbartell
07-10-2019, 12:21 PM
I have used the Stoney Point style collapsing stix for a long time. Light, compact if needed, a guy can do some good shooting from sitting position with the stix. Another good option, but heavier and bulkier, is the Primos Trigger Stick. They come in monopod, bipod and tripod, sitting/kneeling and offhand heights. I use the tripod versions, have both short and tall, amazingly solid! Came in handy last fall, my partner used the short tripod to make a nice shot on a moose at 275 yards. Without it, shot placement would of been a lot more of a gamble.

BStrachan
07-10-2019, 12:54 PM
Todbartell thanks for your reply. I bought a tripod for my American ruger .308 last year but have not mounted on yet. Undecided if I should use it? Only reason is I'm a new to hunting 3 years and the lack of experience makes it tough to make decisions.

todbartell
07-10-2019, 01:49 PM
Anything you can do to support your rifle and shoot more accurately is a good thing. Packing stix or a tripod isn't realistic in some hunting scenarios, but in some it does and a hunter should consider doing so.

elch jager
07-10-2019, 01:52 PM
I looked at factory sticks and was unimpressed with the flimsy build quality of everything I handled in the stores. The reviews I read on them were not encouraging, especially telescopic models. Then I looked at lot of diy designs on the interwebs for proper, full length sticks like they use in Africa. I conflated several to come up with my own design using hardwood dowels and paracord. They are 6' long, form a tripod when deployed and collapse to a walking staff when not in use. Absolutely rock solid to shoot from. Monopods wander all over the place - might as well shoot freehand. Bipods are better, but still move back to front too much for my liking. I made a second short set to shoot sitting or kneeling that attach to the side of my backpack for long hikes when I want my hands free. Not perfected yet, but I like them and think they are way better than anything store bought. A couple hunting partners concur and now want a set.

RiverOtter
07-10-2019, 02:34 PM
Most of the time my shooting stick is a trekking pole.

I do have a Bog Pod bipod for stand hunting coyotes etc. that woks pretty good.

swampthing
07-10-2019, 06:26 PM
I always have my sticks in my pack. They are light to carry and can be a great asset when you cant go prone to shoot. I practice from this position before a hunt. Get your back up against a tree, put your pack under your knee you are resting your forestock arm on, lean the sticks back towards you and it makes for a decent shooting position. I recommend you get a set.

lakelander
07-11-2019, 03:13 PM
I made my own using two pieces of cane, some tape and a nut/bolt to connect them into an X. Work great

BCHunterTV
07-11-2019, 04:32 PM
hands down the best ones to date,,, Outdoorsmans Triclawps. It can connect to your tripod for your spotting scope.

Dash
07-11-2019, 04:48 PM
There was a thread not long ago on this. There was some good feedback in there.

boxhitch
07-11-2019, 06:27 PM
One stick or two can be used for supporting other items as well like binos, camera, quick spotter look, etc
but it is interesting to see the possible supports that can be thrown together using a couple branches, or one stick and a tree, or two christmas tree tops lashed together, or limbing out part of a tree and leaving one branch stub for a rest, or paracord between two trees resting the barrel in the V at the middle, or hanging a barrel from a single branch by cord, or and or

boxhitch
07-11-2019, 06:33 PM
I looked at factory sticks and was unimpressed with the flimsy build quality of everything I handled in the stores. The reviews I read on them were not encouraging, especially telescopic models. Then I looked at lot of diy designs on the interwebs for proper, full length sticks like they use in Africa. I conflated several to come up with my own design using hardwood dowels and paracord. They are 6' long, form a tripod when deployed and collapse to a walking staff when not in use. Absolutely rock solid to shoot from. Monopods wander all over the place - might as well shoot freehand. Bipods are better, but still move back to front too much for my liking. I made a second short set to shoot sitting or kneeling that attach to the side of my backpack for long hikes when I want my hands free. Not perfected yet, but I like them and think they are way better than anything store bought. A couple hunting partners concur and now want a set.Bud had a set made from three pieces of 6' bamboo, like the stick found at a garden supply stores for propping plants. Lashed them together with bicycle inner tube and the way he did it one pole could be slid higher or lower to adjust height. Only use I had for it was to hang a pot over a fire )

BStrachan
07-11-2019, 07:25 PM
One stick or two can be used for supporting other items as well like binos, camera, quick spotter look, etc
but it is interesting to see the possible supports that can be thrown together using a couple branches, or one stick and a tree, or two christmas tree tops lashed together, or limbing out part of a tree and leaving one branch stub for a rest, or paracord between two trees resting the barrel in the V at the middle, or hanging a barrel from a single branch by cord, or and or

When I learned to shoot back in early 80s my dad and I would shoot from just laying down kneeling using a stump branch whatever.
Seems more people are leaning towards shooting sticks.

Mudsey
07-11-2019, 07:51 PM
I'm not very agile and use treking poles when walking. Unless there is a good solid rest handy I hook the poles together with the wrist straps and it makes a decent bi-pod. Much stabler than offhand or even from one knee.

boxhitch
07-11-2019, 08:44 PM
When I learned to shoot back in early 80s my dad and I would shoot from just laying down kneeling using a stump branch whatever.
Seems more people are leaning towards shooting sticks.take what you read with a grain of salt. Guys who use them will respond, guys who sell them will push the idea.
In the real world, there are few that carry the gadgets other people think they should use, best to school yourself