PDA

View Full Version : 7b Moose and Elk

spock
07-09-2019, 10:42 AM
We usually hunt region 6 in the GOS for moose. This year because of family commitments we have to go earlier and are looking at 7b. I have never been there, obviously a big region. Just looking for some general info. We don't have quads and try to boat hunt if possible. Are muddy roads less of an issue in the hills than in the flat's. Is there a lot of oil and gas exploration going on up there now and if so where abouts. Are animal populations generally any better or worse away from areas torn up with seismic lines. How wide of an area is being affected by site C construction. Thanks in advance.

swampthing
07-10-2019, 06:54 PM
7B is a big area. Site c has had very little impact to wildlife other than increased traffic on access roads. Up the alaska highway is busy as usual with work crews but I still go every year. Pick a road and go. They are all being used but you can find areas to get away. If you jet boat hunt then you have lots of options. The mud up there is a special kind of mud! Mud tires are best but you can get around with all terrains, just a bit slower. And some of that mud will become a part of your truck forever! Game numbers are way down. I would expect to see 20 big game animals a day 15 years ago. Now you shoot the first legal animal you see. They are still there just not nearly as plentiful.