PDA

View Full Version : Crying girl, Pink Mountain or Sikanni Chief

browningboy
07-04-2019, 10:15 PM
So I’m waiving the white flag due to no LEH for years, anyhow I used to go up to these spots religiously every year but stopped in 2013 as I got tired of the drive, but now thinking of doing a elk/moose hunt but heard of the areas getting shiet kicked by wolves and oil and gas. The wolves seem to be everywhere in BC but is it shiet kicked up there now? We would do seismic lines, some walking etc.
i guess what I am asking, are the animal numbers still worth the investment as with gas costing an arm and leg this would cost a small fortune! Lol

chris
07-05-2019, 05:24 AM
My friend and I are heading up to 7-57B in the beginning of October for a bison draw. His brother used to go every year but stopped due to success dropping off. I'm hoping it's not as bad as he says but from what I have been told it's not what it used to be.

nebcfarmer
07-05-2019, 07:26 AM
It ain’t great, mind you I’m not hunting moose around my place to give them a break, elk on the other hand...

northof49
07-05-2019, 07:32 AM
Can buy a lot of beef for price of the fuel and expenses but won’t be any grizzlies or mud holes in costco. Go whack an elk/moose and have an adventure.

Pioneerman
07-05-2019, 07:50 AM
Can buy a lot of beef for price of the fuel and expenses but won’t be any grizzlies or mud holes in costco. Go whack an elk/moose and have an adventure.

LOL I tell my friends that head out for very expensive trips every year, and sadly they are unsuccessful most of the time, that turkeys are $.99 a pound all the time so for every $100 spent I get 100 lbs of meat lol. But honestly nothing beats the hunt and being in the bush seeing animals and if lucky enough to harvest a decent one, it is worth the time and money.

browningboy
07-06-2019, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the feedback, just mainly going for an elk myself, other partners for a moose as well..

Ride Red
07-06-2019, 06:25 AM
Fly to Hawaii or go hunt; both expensive trips, but the game meat is priceless. Any elk we’ve seen were up on the higher slopes.

browningboy
07-06-2019, 06:42 AM
^^

With each truck hauling a trailer from Langley to one of those spots I would say 3 tanks each way, so on the higher end 900 per truck for fuel, now just gas for tracker and atv’s, plus laces for boots! Probably 700 for food, 1000 for booze....lol. Probably be 4 of us so just shy of 1000 each so not too bad for where you’re going! :wink:

Looking forward to going, hopefully a farmer chimes in and needs a few elk taken care of? :D

Luka77
07-06-2019, 01:23 PM
^^

With each truck hauling a trailer from Langley to one of those spots I would say 3 tanks each way, so on the higher end 900 per truck for fuel, now just gas for tracker and atv’s, plus laces for boots! Probably 700 for food, 1000 for booze....lol. Probably be 4 of us so just shy of 1000 each so not too bad for where you’re going! :wink:

Looking forward to going, hopefully a farmer chimes in and needs a few elk taken care of? :D

It is good that you have a buddy who can bring a lot of free beer. :)

BRrooster
07-06-2019, 04:44 PM
Part of every paycheque goes into my "hunting account". My personal allowance is 5$ everyday I work. Don't seem like much but upwards of 1000$ a year works for me.

moosinaround
07-06-2019, 06:51 PM
Pink mountain sounds good to me! Eastern foothills for those bugling ba$tards!! Pfft, I get up every day to go to work, so I can spend 2 weeks in the bush! I'd work the foothills for the elk! Saying that, I have a buddy who gets a moose every year up there during the moose rut! He works hard for it though! Don't have to get too far off the beaten path, but you do have to get off the quad, you know that already!! Moosin

swampthing
07-06-2019, 06:52 PM
I have hunted that area for about 21 years now. Back when I started the animal were everywhere! About 20 big game sighting a day and cutting a tag was a given. For about the last half dozen years its hard to find a moose or an elk in a weeks hunt! I enjoy the area and will continue to go though. I dont hunt for meat though, never have. Its all about the adventure for me. Any meat is just a bonus.

browningboy
07-06-2019, 11:39 PM
I have hunted that area for about 21 years now. Back when I started the animal were everywhere! About 20 big game sighting a day and cutting a tag was a given. For about the last half dozen years its hard to find a moose or an elk in a weeks hunt! I enjoy the area and will continue to go though. I dont hunt for meat though, never have. Its all about the adventure for me. Any meat is just a bonus.

Thats my style too, but I do want one elk! Not being greedy, just one! Lol

The Hermit
07-07-2019, 12:23 AM
Fly to Hawaii or go hunt; both expensive trips, but the game meat is priceless. Any elk we’ve seen were up on the higher slopes.

Ahem... take your bow and hunt Hawaii! :-)

webley
07-07-2019, 04:48 AM
My grouse last year were at least $100.00 each. lol Steve!

browningboy
07-07-2019, 07:31 AM
Pink mountain sounds good to me! Eastern foothills for those bugling ba$tards!! Pfft, I get up every day to go to work, so I can spend 2 weeks in the bush! I'd work the foothills for the elk! Saying that, I have a buddy who gets a moose every year up there during the moose rut! He works hard for it though! Don't have to get too far off the beaten path, but you do have to get off the quad, you know that already!! Moosin

moosin you talking the hillside from the lower by Maies kitchen up to pink mountain store? In reference to eastern foothills?

HankBC
07-11-2019, 02:30 PM
I ran up the sikanni last year early august. From the little campground up to the falls. Hiked up the banks into the poplars and only found old sign comingled with predator tracks. Found some good moose tracks on the river, and wolf tracks intermingled there as well. Never seen an ungulate in the quick 3 days I was there wandering. Might be better luck farther up passed all the falls, but then you have to get there!

BStrachan
07-11-2019, 07:28 PM
I'm sorry man but I say go for it!!
I'm looking at joining a random stranger on a elk/moose hunt in MU 7-35 and I've only been at this for 4 years. Go for it my friend!

moosinaround
07-11-2019, 08:03 PM
moosin you talking the hillside from the lower by Maies kitchen up to pink mountain store? In reference to eastern foothills?
Anywhere along the eastern side of the Rockies, from Halfway/Graham, up to and past pink mountain. We hunted Bison up the 172 mile, seen piles of elk wintering on all the loafs! When I was contracting forestry up there, seen elk all along past the gate on the Graham, Halfway, Chowade rivers! Beauty country up there, and worth the trip. I'll be up there next year, curtailments this year kinda put the stop to an adventure trip!! Moosin