PDA

View Full Version : Maven Binoculars

hparrott
07-03-2019, 10:44 AM
For the last 5-6 years I have used vortex diamondback 10x42 binoculars. Towards the end of last fall, someone wiser than me explained why I may prefer 8x42 binos because I have very shaky hands and have difficulties getting a still image in my binos. With more light coming in and less visible shake that is more noticeable at higher magnifications, I tried a friend's leuopold binos that were 8x42. I noticed a big difference in clarity and brightness and there was a definite improvement in image stabilization.

This year when I took out two new hunters for spring bear, I was introduced to the brand Maven. I had never heard of this company before. I was blown away by the clarity of the binoculars these two hunters had. After a bit of research, I took the plunge and purchased a pair of 8x42 Binos from Maven. I opted for the lowest quality/model they make based on reviews and how much I wanted to spend and I can't say enough good things about them. Maven makes C1, B1 and B2 binos that include common mags. used by hunters and while their higher models are a superior product to the C1's I purchased, the C1's are amazing quality for the price.

I wanted to point out my experience for 2 reasons; 1) because of how much of an improvement it made in image stabilization by reducing the power from 10x-8x for me, and 2) Maven isn't a super well known brand yet and I am very impressed with the quality of the product at an affordable price. For a general hunting bino these will serve me well. When I need higher magnifications for spotting I'll have a spotting scope and tripod in my pack.

Just my two cents!

jlirot
07-03-2019, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the review! I was going to buy a pair of these but got a great deal on a pair of Zeiss from a HBC member.

bushpilot
07-03-2019, 12:52 PM
I picked up a set of B2s 9X45 last year. They are the perfect binocular for me. I looked through a lot of alpha tier glass before purchasing these and I think they are right up there with the rest. Might pick up a pair of the c1s for my daughters to use in future years.

jac
07-03-2019, 05:10 PM
I had some C1 I sold them and bought some Leica Trinovid. To me there not much difference, the Leica’s are better but for the price the C1 is very hard to beat!!

m5wilson
07-03-2019, 08:36 PM
I bought the C1 as well, I can't say I have had a chance to test a bunch of bino's side by side but they are certainly a step up from the Bushnell Ultra HD and very bright and clear. I had heard the same as above that the trinovids/Conquests are better but at the costs savings for the Mavens they were hard to pass. I'll use them for a few years and re-evaluate if I want/need to spend for alpha glass or find a good deal used.

rotwilder
07-07-2019, 12:27 PM
Wish I'd joined the forum at my friends recommendation when I was taking the core course at the beginning of the year. I would have see this and bought the 8x42 C1's instead of the 10x42. Ah well, live and learn.

northof49
07-07-2019, 07:22 PM
^^^the 10x42s will be nice as well...nothing wrong with a little more power

07-07-2019, 09:22 PM
Where do you buy them

jac
07-08-2019, 06:38 AM
You can only buy them direct from maven optics website

dapesche
07-08-2019, 06:57 AM
I bought my mavens on Amazon.ca

adriaticum
07-18-2019, 09:24 AM
US company from Wyoming

hparrott
07-18-2019, 12:16 PM
I bought my mavens on Amazon.ca

I didn't even think to try there. Would have saved on shipping probably going through amazon.

adriaticum
07-18-2019, 12:21 PM
I didn't even think to try there. Would have saved on shipping probably going through amazon.

Amazon pricing it fluctuating.
I had some binos on my wishlist and the price was ranging from 300-350.
Now I found them for 254.
Amazon pricing is crap shoot. You have to watch it.

rider99
07-19-2019, 09:36 AM
I picked up the Maven B2 9x45's gently used off the rockslide optics forum last year from a member in WA. Exceptional glass right up there with the euro brands.

https://www.rokslide.com/maven-b2-binocular-review/

dapesche
06-18-2021, 10:08 PM
I'm looking at purchasing the b2 9x45 as well.

I had the c1 8x42s and I really liked them.

The b2 will give me a little more quality that I want as I seem to be glassing more and not so much running and gunning.

I'll still run and run so that's why I'm thinking about the 9x45s so they are still very useless over shorter distances.

Obviously the other option is the 11x...

Did you b2 owners test both the 9x and the 11x?
Any thoughts?

Also, why did you go 9x over the 11xs.

Thanks.

bushpilot
06-19-2021, 07:29 AM
I'm looking at purchasing the b2 9x45 as well.

I had the c1 8x42s and I really liked them.

The b2 will give me a little more quality that I want as I seem to be glassing more and not so much running and gunning.

I'll still run and run so that's why I'm thinking about the 9x45s so they are still very useless over shorter distances.

Obviously the other option is the 11x...

Did you b2 owners test both the 9x and the 11x?
Any thoughts?

Also, why did you go 9x over the 11xs.

Thanks.

I have been using the 9x45 since 2018. They go with me on every trip, whether I’m archery elk hunting, sitting in a tree stand for whitetails, above alpine for mule deer, goats or sheep. I chose the 9x45 because where I live in the West Koots, areas can be pretty tight. The 9x is better for one handed use when I’m working in on animals with my bow. I haven’t found the magnification lacking at all for any mountain hunts, glassing up animals from miles away as the clarity is outstanding. The extra 2x will do nothing for spotting animals, only making glassing without a tripod more shaky. When I need more magnification to judge or count points I’m grabbing my spotting scope.

Pinewood
06-19-2021, 07:57 AM
Do yourself a favour and get set up with a tripod. I use the Outdoorsman adapter and a cheap Vortex tripod. It makes a difference that you won't believe until you try it.

dapesche
06-19-2021, 09:10 AM
I have been using the 9x45 since 2018. They go with me on every trip, whether I’m archery elk hunting, sitting in a tree stand for whitetails, above alpine for mule deer, goats or sheep. I chose the 9x45 because where I live in the West Koots, areas can be pretty tight. The 9x is better for one handed use when I’m working in on animals with my bow. I haven’t found the magnification lacking at all for any mountain hunts, glassing up animals from miles away as the clarity is outstanding. The extra 2x will do nothing for spotting animals, only making glassing without a tripod more shaky. When I need more magnification to judge or count points I’m grabbing my spotting scope.

Thanks! That's perfect. I'm in Nelson so we're hunting the same terrain. I'll get the 9x's and bring the tripod and spotter when necessary.

pine wood I have a carbon manfrotto and a outdoorsman adapter on its way. Not the lightest but like it more than my vortex summit.

jikkyo
06-23-2021, 09:33 AM
I got the b2 9x45 this spring to replace my old Vortex. What a difference! Nice glass and a tight fit into the Marsupial M harness. I went with the 9 for better glassing from standing/with hands. Would recommend

dapesche
06-23-2021, 02:30 PM
I got the b2 9x45 this spring to replace my old Vortex. What a difference! Nice glass and a tight fit into the Marsupial M harness. I went with the 9 for better glassing from standing/with hands. Would recommend

Good to hear. No issues with size and weight?

walker1985
06-24-2021, 07:01 AM
I have the 10x42 C.1 bino's and i love them. I just recently picked up their lower end CS.1 15-45x65mm spotting scope and the clarity is amazing on it. I couldn't be happier with their products. I wish the focus adjustment for the bino's was a little stiffer so it's not so easy to turn. Sometimes it rotates and changes my focus a bit but that's just me being picky.