PDA

View Full Version : Wall tents

chris
07-03-2019, 07:04 AM
Hi
I am considering picking up a wall tent but I had a couple questions for the more experienced.
On average how long does set up take? I know it's a vague question as there are a bunch of different sizes and styles.
Is set up something that 1 guy can do or is a second person needed?
Where is a good place to get a tent? Is it worth shopping around for a used one or do they wear out quickly?
Thanks in advance for any guidance

sako79
07-03-2019, 07:14 AM
I can set mine up on myself in less than 20 minutes and that's my 10 x 12 tent with a second 10 x 12 frame and 30 x 40 tarp over the whole thing steaked to the ground.

My piece of advice is whatever size you think you need to go one size bigger

Ron.C
07-03-2019, 07:28 AM
Chris,

I just bought a used 10x12 Deluxe wall tent. Very happy with the quality of this tent. Has a screened window in the back, double zipper screen front door, 5' porch.

I had never set one up before, I simply watched a video online.

Took me 31 minutes to set up by myself the first time.( just the tent, no stove or tarp)
Now that I know which poles go where(they are coloured coded) I can probably shave 5 minutes off the setup time.

Probably be a 30 minute job by myself getting the tent set up, the stove in, getting it tarped and staked.

allan
07-03-2019, 07:50 AM
I have a 14x16 wall tent, setup with two guys for just the frame and canvas is only 10 min? I find setting up the inside, sleeping bag cots ect takes longer.
I have a 2nd 14x16 frame With no canvas that is extra for my needs. If you look into cost for frames / with canvas vs new canvas and a good used frame if you think it’s worth while I could sell my Frame for 1/2 price of a new one.
My frame has no “porch” area.

adriaticum
07-03-2019, 07:57 AM
1. Label everything, every pole, joint.
2. Practice before the hunt

07-03-2019, 08:55 AM
Deluxe wall tents on Van Isle is a sponsor here on HBC and many happy customers post good things of their products. They are certainly worth a look for sure.

Depending on where you live research whats around you. We have a 12x14 with 8 ft. Add on or not porch. Full fly for the entire tent. Internal frame. Lots of extras. We got ours from Northwest Shelters in Newton part of Surrey. Very happy with their product and service also.
To be honest i have not put it up by myself yet but could. Usually 2 of us at least. Easy and fast. I ordered poles short enough to always fit inside a 6.4ft shortbox.

dakoda62
07-03-2019, 09:12 AM
Lol I have only ever used a wall tent once huge 16 x 24, external poles (logs) took us 2 of better part of an hour.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
07-03-2019, 07:44 PM
I have a heavy older 14x16 with a 4 truss internal frame. Takes this old guy a half hour to set the tent and frame up. Then stake it down after that.

srupp
07-03-2019, 09:41 PM
Hmmm a member from this site was set up slightly west of williams lake..I dropped by for a coffee. .I had a decent buck I had harvested earlier..these hunters had a delux wall tent..sponsor? It was amazing..highly recomended..actually one of the 2 best wall tents ihave looked at..as for set up time ? Dunno..it was set up..for oct moose, nov moose..cold seasons they are amazing..just hard to get out of the sleeping bag with a stove ..lol coffee eggs toast will eventually do it.
I and Rolly set up Tims tent..took us 1 hour.
Steven

The Hermit
07-03-2019, 10:36 PM
Arrive in camp with a FULL truck full of gear... tent, frame, stove stove pipe, big tarp, stakes, cot, foamy, sleeping bag, coolers, table, chairs, bbq, propane stove, kitchen, Big battery DC water pump, hot water shower, LED lighting, firepit, hottub, set up cooler and genny, set up massage table call rubs-on-the-run, etc etc two guys three + hours then cut firewood for stove and camp fire, pour tequila ;-)

XMD70
07-04-2019, 12:06 AM
I used one years ago. Prefabbed interior walls/door and floors for it and placed them out in hunting camps. Because the tent walls were only 4 feet high I
added an additional 2 foot high plywood wall around the bottom. We were able to assemble the frame and tent structure in a couple of hours on site. Nice to have a way to hang things up inside and a firm dry floor. Always had a small airtight wood stove to take off the chill.
Haven’t used the tent in years, may need a few small repairs. Not sure of the size, probably about 10 by 12 or 14. Can make you the best deal ever if you’re interested.

chris
07-04-2019, 03:01 PM
Thanks for all the replies and info.

David Heitsman
07-05-2019, 09:41 AM
I use a vinyl wall tent from Alpha Tent in Burnaby. It's a 12 X 16 X 6 so quite spacious. I shock cord all the pole coupling fittings on 3 cords for the ridge and eaves. Found this was the biggest time saver as they no longer were all scrambled up initially and then with the stretch shock cord it kept everything compressed and locked together. This is essential when you are lifting the corners for the wall poles and used to have to deal with the continual blow-outs of a pole and coupling at the opposite ends. I am guessing an hour max to set up solo, including Cylinder stove, half floor, cot's and cooking pantry. (Unless I'm in the Empire Valley and it's blowing 30+...)

Both end walls are detachable, for easier rolling and packing so when by myself and if it's quite cold, you can attach an end wall on an interior truss creating a 12 X 12 enclosure with a 4' awning. The wood lasts quite a bit longer as not as much space is heated. I also have 7 clear plastic 3 X 3 windows with vinyl flaps and bug netting to allow easy ventilation and natural light on warmer days.

One of my best rigs is a little battery operated 6" fan that attaches magnetically to the tent wall and sends an easy breeze across the stove circulating the warmth well into the tent corners and pushing the inevitable vinyl moisture out the peak vents.

Have done many 7 - 10 days stints in this tent and it is very comfortable.

curt
07-05-2019, 10:01 PM
I’ve had a wall tent from deluxe since 2006 still going strong 30-40 minutes start to finish including the stove and tarps

barry1974w
07-05-2019, 10:48 PM
I love the deluxe wall tents tents (my tent is not, but they built the frame for mine, my buddies have their tents). Mines a 12x14, takes 20-30 minutes for me to set up the tent. It’s a quick job with two

Mudsey
07-06-2019, 06:04 PM
Chris - sent you a PM

blackbart
07-07-2019, 06:08 PM
Six beer usually.....

chris
07-09-2019, 06:17 AM
Thanks xmd 70 I sent you a pm

chris
07-09-2019, 06:18 AM
Another dumb question for sizing. How much space does the average stove take up?

longwalk
07-09-2019, 07:00 AM
I have a 12 by 14 wall tent. The tent itself usually goes up in 20-30 minutes when I'm by myself. Takes a couple of hours to get camp set up the way I like with cots, stove and camp kitchen. Always remember the first place you are going to set your tent up will most likely be your lawn. Not really indicative of the conditions you will be setting it up in once in the bush.

Ride Red
07-09-2019, 07:17 AM
We have a 12x14 Northwest Shelter and takes about 25-30mins with internal frame, 5’ porch, full floor and fly with 2 people.(not busting our ass either) Stove and other goodies take a little longer. Super comfy and enjoyable when a rain storm hits.(as long as you’re on a high spot :oops:) We’ve had 4 people stay in it for 2 weeks without any room constraints or complaints. First tent I ever stayed in was an old military canvas when I was 4. Something about those canvas tents gets in your blood and you never want to be without one.

wideopenthrottle
07-09-2019, 08:00 AM
We have a 12x14 Northwest Shelter and takes about 25-30mins with internal frame, 5’ porch, full floor and fly with 2 people.(not busting our ass either) Stove and other goodies take a little longer. Super comfy and enjoyable when a rain storm hits.(as long as you’re on a high spot :oops:) We’ve had 4 people stay in it for 2 weeks without any room constraints or complaints. First tent I ever stayed in was an old military canvas when I was 4. Something about those canvas tents gets in your blood and you never want to be without one.

don't forget to dig the ditches on the upslope side to keep the rivers out of the tent

ActionJackson017
07-09-2019, 08:24 AM
We've had a 14x16 wall tent with 5 foot porch (Northwest) now for 3 seasons and it's been a game changer for comfort and space.

I think it *could* be set up with 1 guy, but 2 guys makes for fast setup - we have the frame and canvas up in less than 45 minutes with 2 guys. It takes longer to set up the inside of the tent (cots, welder's blankets, wood stove, chairs, table, etc) and then taking the tent DOWN and properly folding and stowing the canvas away in its bag is where we do most of our swearing and hand wringing. :)

Good luck with your decision!

J_T
07-09-2019, 08:36 AM
Hi
I am considering picking up a wall tent but I had a couple questions for the more experienced.
On average how long does set up take? I know it's a vague question as there are a bunch of different sizes and styles.
Is set up something that 1 guy can do or is a second person needed?
Where is a good place to get a tent? Is it worth shopping around for a used one or do they wear out quickly?
Thanks in advance for any guidance
Set up really depends on how extravagant you want your camp to be. According to my fit bit, repeated solo camp set ups takes around 16,000 steps. I have a very extravagant camp.
Time to set up the 12 x 14 wall tent solo, tarp on, cots and sleeping bags in, stove in, fire on, kitchen set up 2 to 3 hours.

Depending on the camp, I have an extra room I add on the front, making the overall length of the 'long house' 32 feet long, and a 20 x 20 framed tarp over chillin area.
Takes me another 1-2 hours to lay out the electrical, as I run solar power on 4 circuits for camp.

Don't rush it, plan it well, do it well and enjoy quality accommodation during the hunt. The tent is just the start. Buy a cargo trailer.

spock
07-09-2019, 10:14 AM
We have used a 12 x 14 and a 14 by 16. I recomend the 12 by 14 its a little easier to find a spot without roots and rocks sticking up. I don't think they really where out that fast.

Downwindtracker2
07-09-2019, 12:33 PM
I'm an old phart, by myself I could set up in a couple of hours. In my younger days with someone who knew what we were doing, the time was in the range of a family tent. My tent had an internal frame of EMT and 1 1/2" tubing connects which I made myself. As the tent got older it, the waterproofing didn't work that well, so I tarped. I used 12" spikes as tent pegs, I made PVC washers so they didn't pull through. When you tarp use Princess Auto's heavy silver tarps and the ball ended bungee cord for shock absorbing during wind storms. Fall hunting season is always windy it seems. A piece of indoor/outdoor carpet makes for a nice floor.

Ride Red
07-09-2019, 12:46 PM
don't forget to dig the ditches on the upslope side to keep the rivers out of the tent

We were camping in Castlegar on flat ground when a nasty storm blew and dropped inches of rain down in half an hour. No water in the tent, but under the floor we could have fished the stream for some trout.

J_T
07-09-2019, 01:40 PM
We were camping in Castlegar on flat ground when a nasty storm blew and dropped inches of rain down in half an hour. No water in the tent, but under the floor we could have fished the stream for some trout.
Been there..... squishy floors.

These last two posts remind me and I can't agree enough. Always always always, when using a tarp, every tie down needs to start with a good bungy cord. Bungies keep everything tight but offer give to the prevailing storm.

Ohwildwon
07-09-2019, 09:27 PM
Anyone ever try a presto log overnight?

Squamch
07-09-2019, 10:29 PM
We've had a 14x16 wall tent with 5 foot porch (Northwest) now for 3 seasons and it's been a game changer for comfort and space.

I think it *could* be set up with 1 guy, but 2 guys makes for fast setup - we have the frame and canvas up in less than 45 minutes with 2 guys. It takes longer to set up the inside of the tent (cots, welder's blankets, wood stove, chairs, table, etc) and then taking the tent DOWN and properly folding and stowing the canvas away in its bag is where we do most of our swearing and hand wringing. :)

Good luck with your decision!

What's the story on the "welders blankets"?

Seth
07-10-2019, 05:41 AM
What's the story on the "welders blankets"?

I assume he’s hanging them between the tent wall and wood stove to protect the canvas against the heat radiating from the stove? I was wondering the same thing.

Downwindtracker2
07-10-2019, 07:49 AM
I had thought of using a presto-log, at least for the first night, but never did. On the other hand I've used BBQ starter bricks . I sat my tin airtight on a stand I welded instead of the wonky legs that come with them. The same stand for three of them. You do have to clear the area under them, grass etc

A canvas wall tent has to be packed dry. Which ,even in good weather, means no dew. Most often that means coming home and hanging the tent to dry .Packing up by myself got to be too much for an old phart like me, I use a camper, now.

chris
07-10-2019, 08:25 AM
The packing up dry is one of my biggest concerns. That's one aspect where the advantage definitely goes to a trailer or camper.

J_T
07-10-2019, 02:02 PM
The packing up dry is one of my biggest concerns. That's one aspect where the advantage definitely goes to a trailer or camper.Depends where you live. At the coast in a wetter climate you will almost never avoid mold. In the interior, I never worry about the tent. I've packed up wet, in the snow, ice. It isn't going to dry from December to February. I leave it in the trailer rolled up. Pull it out in the spring and air it out. Never a problem.

Regarding cooler temperatures and the stove. Once our stove is lit, it never goes out. Damp it down and find the right wood and the right air flow to keep it burning.

chris
07-12-2019, 11:34 AM
I dont think drying it is a deal breaker as I have a garage but it's just one more element to consider.

Good2bCanadian
07-12-2019, 12:54 PM
My wall tent got absolutely soaked last year and was packed away wet for the long drive home.
When i got home I stretched it out in my garage and put a stand up fan on it and just kept flipping it over a few days and it dried out just fine. First sunny/dry day ut got dragged out onto the driveway and set to soak in the sun all day, brushed off and then rolled up and away.
Getting them wet is a non issue as long as you do your part when you get home.

ActionJackson017
07-12-2019, 03:39 PM
I assume he’s hanging them between the tent wall and wood stove to protect the canvas against the heat radiating from the stove? I was wondering the same thing.

As Nog would say; AYUP! We hang a welders blanket from the frame along the wall in the corner the stove is in to protect the canvas from getting browned and we also put one underneath the stove to protect the floor too.

Didn't work so well this past fall when it started dropping to -15C overnight and we had the stove going HOT.. we still managed to melt a hole through the bottom of the floor underneath the welders blanket and scorched the grass too. My theory was the grass/organics acted as a heat sink and got too hot, whereas in year's prior we were over gravel/sand and this dissipated heat better. But I'm not sure, just know we have a 3 foot hole to patch in the floor now ><

Mudsey
07-12-2019, 07:14 PM
For a stove I use a small airtight and I used to use a tarp for the floor but the ground would never dry underneath and moisture seemed to always seep through. Now we use bare ground for a floor and after a couple days of using the stove the ground completely drys out. We use a few carpet matts by our cots and chairs so we don't have to stand on bare ground in socks or barefeet.

barongan
07-16-2019, 11:20 AM
Deluxe wall tent, 30 minute for setuphttp://juragan.club/assets/13/o.png