PDA

View Full Version : Indian Arm Roosevelt Elk

porthunter
07-02-2019, 03:14 PM
Hi All,

Just want to put it out there to start, this is not a "put in for a draw that I don't even know where it is" thread.

As usual this year, I checked my LEH and found I had drew for a goat tag I was hoping to pull, YES my years made, I get to do a hunt I really wanted to.

I log off and log into my old mans, and have to check twice to make sure I'm not imagining things but he drew the Indian River Bull Elk

Being from the lower mainland, this gives me great opportunity to put boots on the ground and start working as this will probably be his only opportunity at harvesting an elk and I want to make sure we make the most of it.

Now I've already reached out to some people who I know have experience with the tag and elk hunting(as I havent done alot) but I also wanted to post to the public if anyone was open to maybe shedding some light they have on the area or would be open to having a chat/PM me, it would be greatly appreciated and if theres any help I can give back, I will be sure to do so.

Cheers and goodluck to all this year!

cdub
07-02-2019, 04:20 PM
I was up there in the spring staying at the RVYC lodge right at the end. We went looking for them as we were told they hang out in the old soccer field right beside the clubhouse on the beach.

stixnstones
07-02-2019, 04:32 PM
I had the first ever draw. Feel free to pm me with ur number thx

whitlers
07-02-2019, 04:52 PM
Sent you a PM

MattW
07-02-2019, 09:20 PM
I've been up there but I wasn't looking for elk so can't help with that. Access though, the obvious is to take a boat up Indian arm but a lot of people don't realize you can come over the pass from Squamish and down onto the roads along the Indian River and right down to Indian Arm. Not with a truck mind you but a dirt bike for sure and maybe quads.

whitlers
07-02-2019, 10:40 PM
I've been up there but I wasn't looking for elk so can't help with that. Access though, the obvious is to take a boat up Indian arm but a lot of people don't realize you can come over the pass from Squamish and down onto the roads along the Indian River and right down to Indian Arm. Not with a truck mind you but a dirt bike for sure and maybe quads.

Is that due to the washout?

MattW
07-02-2019, 11:12 PM
Is that due to the washout?

When I last did that trail the road was blockeddown near Squamish. We got bikes by though. Been a few years actually.

Mosin
07-03-2019, 07:08 AM

I was last in there about 5 months ago and there were two other trucks in there although I imagine they must of beat on em pretty good doing it. There's 2 places where there boulders size of bowling balls. Like above says probably need a dirtbike or quad to get thru. Once in awhile they do a bit of grading so you might get lucky.

porthunter
07-03-2019, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the info guys!

Will definitely load up the ATV in the truck when I head out this weekend.

cdub
07-03-2019, 08:51 AM
I saw side by sides up there in may on the roads opposite Wigwam

MattW
07-03-2019, 09:11 AM
I was last in there about 5 months ago and there were two other trucks in there although I imagine they must of beat on em pretty good doing it. There's 2 places where there boulders size of bowling balls. Like above says probably need a dirtbike or quad to get thru. Once in awhile they do a bit of grading so you might get lucky.

I've probably misremembered or things have changed. I remember going around a gate and through a substantial washout at the Squamish end, it was a few years ago though and maybe I'm remembering a different road.

walks with deer
07-03-2019, 09:17 AM
no thats what it looked like back in 08ish..

MichelD
07-03-2019, 09:44 AM
There was a time you could go there in a family car. They removed the bridges didn't they?

porthunter
07-03-2019, 11:09 AM
I had the first ever draw. Feel free to pm me with ur number thx

PM'd Thanks!

twoSevenO
07-03-2019, 02:58 PM
PM the guy who drew this tag last year. He posted a hunt report. Search and you should be able to find it. They took a really nice bull out of there.

It's ok to apply to a draw in a place you're not familiar with when it's in your back yard and you can scout every weekend! I'm sure you will figure it out.

Good luck and congrats on a great draw. I put on for that one as well.

porthunter
07-03-2019, 03:45 PM
PM the guy who drew this tag last year. He posted a hunt report. Search and you should be able to find it. They took a really nice bull out of there.

It's ok to apply to a draw in a place you're not familiar with when it's in your back yard and you can scout every weekend! I'm sure you will figure it out.

Good luck and congrats on a great draw. I put on for that one as well.

Have reached out to a few people now that have pulled the draw, scouting starts Sunday in terms of boots on the ground.

Couldn't agree more, there's specific areas that most people know about but will never explore unless they get a draw like this. I just know how some people like to get at times, throw there hands up and assume things just because people are looking for all the info possible.

Cheers! Will definitely be posting all about it once the season comes.

slyfox
07-03-2019, 03:51 PM
Is that the deer you shot at the game reserve in Alberta in your avatar picture.

porthunter
07-03-2019, 04:02 PM
Is that the deer you shot at the game reserve in Alberta in your avatar picture.

LOL no, same place as that 190" on your basement wall you sly fox.

twoSevenO
07-03-2019, 08:31 PM
Let's see some pics of these 190 mule deer :)

porthunter
07-03-2019, 08:50 PM
Let's see some pics of these 190 mule deer :)

Haha mine isn't 190. Hes 172 gross if I remember right.

Slyfox will correct me, his is 190 3/8.

Heres his thread from years ago

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?3964-Mule-deer-non-typical-190-38

Danny
02-12-2020, 12:31 PM
So, what was the out come with the elk hunt?

porthunter
02-12-2020, 12:35 PM
No luck. Spent total of 10 days in there, had bulls on my cams at night but nothing we could connect with during the day.

The area has been opened up this year and there was constant logging and road work going on through the season, was seeing between 15-30 vehicles a day on the main road when hunting the river. Abit disappointing, but that's hunting I guess.

Had an odd experience mid November, had a bull bugle just before first light, definitely was not expecting that.

Danny
02-12-2020, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the report.I put in every year for that hunt . My family has had a cabin in that area for 53 years and i spent almost every weekend up the Indian when i was a kid.
Love that place

charlie_horse
02-12-2020, 03:13 PM
I got to help out with that hunt this year. Last day of october got a monster talking with cow calls and got him to charge blindly and raging into the wide open timber at like 30 yards with some bugles. Boom boom and she shot a big boy.