PDA

View Full Version : 4-23 Moose numbers and Hunting

bighornbob
07-02-2019, 02:54 PM
Hey Guys

Just got a text from my cousin, and they were wondering if I wanted to come help them with a moose draw they just found out they drew. (Oct15- Nov15).

They got drawn for 4-23A (north end of 4-23). I have hunted the area a few times and they are from Cranbrook and have taken a moose in that area about 6 years ago (I know very lucky with the LEH gods).
I just looked at the draw in the regs and noticed they only gave out two tags where as Zone B has about a dozen tags available. My question is, why is Zone A so much lower? My cousin says there are a ton of moose but they have not been up there for about 4 years. Have the wolves hammered the moose population?

I know I had moose draw here around Kamloops a few years ago and talking to the bio he said the wolves hammered the moose population. He said in some areas they only gave out one tag. He would have preferred to close the season but then when you want to re open it you have to go to Victoria for permission. By giving out 1 tag, they can increase the tag numbers when populations get better without having to ask Victoria.
So how are the moose population doing in 4-23A.

Thanks,

BHB

bighornbob
07-02-2019, 02:57 PM
I see last year they gave out 32 tags. I assume the numbers are down the toilet as in the rest of BC.

BHB

j270wsm
07-02-2019, 07:05 PM
Tell them that their in for an extremely tough hunt due to moose numbers being way down.

tko
07-02-2019, 08:37 PM
I been out there a handful of times and only seen one big bull amongst a herd of elk and they were deep on the mine property.

Good luck.

LBM
07-02-2019, 08:39 PM
The big drop of tags in one year could be due to over harvest the year before, do you have any of the allocation numbers from years past.
havent been there for awhile but sure use to be a great place for moose. They may have done some counts down that way this year
I no they were flying down that way but don't no if they were counting moose.

Ron.C
07-02-2019, 09:02 PM
Call the regional bio in Cranbrook. Probably a good source to answer some of the questions you have.

j270wsm
07-02-2019, 11:30 PM
The big drop of tags in one year could be due to over harvest the year before, do you have any of the allocation numbers from years past.
havent been there for awhile but sure use to be a great place for moose. They may have done some counts down that way this year
I no they were flying down that way but don't no if they were counting moose.

Over harvest??? Didn’t know wolves and bears had a quota. I have lived in elkford my entire life and primarily hunt the area in question. Everyone I know that hunts around Elkford has said the same thing.......seeing a moose is rare. I talked to a few middle aged valley locals( Sparwood )who had tags last yr and they only seen a few cows. A good friend also had a tag last yr. I spent a few days leap frogging from high glassing spots hoping to see moose in the open meadows in the valley bottom but came up empty. My friend spent most of the rifle season looking for moose and only seen a handful of moose with only 1 being a very small bull.

srupp
07-03-2019, 12:30 AM
Hmmm iF its like here? The number of tags got shit kicked big time...however east of the Fraser river most moose sign in 20 years in places..
Sad to hear numbers are down in your area..
You dont need 500 moose for a successful hunt..only 1.
Cheers
Srupp

LBM
07-03-2019, 04:40 AM
Over harvest??? Didn’t know wolves and bears had a quota. I have lived in elkford my entire life and primarily hunt the area in question. Everyone I know that hunts around Elkford has said the same thing.......seeing a moose is rare. I talked to a few middle aged valley locals( Sparwood )who had tags last yr and they only seen a few cows. A good friend also had a tag last yr. I spent a few days leap frogging from high glassing spots hoping to see moose in the open meadows in the valley bottom but came up empty. My friend spent most of the rifle season looking for moose and only seen a handful of moose with only 1 being a very small bull.

Calm down and read slowly. To bad your friend didn't get his moose, but others did.

Walking Buffalo
07-03-2019, 06:24 AM
Calm down and read slowly. To bad your friend didn't get his moose, but others did.

Stop writing your anti-hunting garbage.

And learn the meaning of "no" and "know".

boxhitch
07-03-2019, 07:40 AM
I see last year they gave out 32 tags. I assume the numbers are down the toilet as in the rest of BC.

BHBBag a moose, starve a wolf, save a caribou?

ramcam
07-03-2019, 08:05 AM
j270 is bang on, the last 5 years even at 30 plus draws a season the majority of people were not filling their moose tags,
between the predators, the logging and the mining the numbers are in the tank. I have lived in Elkford since 1970 and cant believe how bad moose and ungulates
in general are in trouble here. Good luck on you hunt with your cousin and by all means report back at how the hunt goes.

LBM
07-03-2019, 12:53 PM
Stop writing your anti-hunting garbage.

And learn the meaning of "no" and "know".

Sorry its not anti hunting.
The OP said how much the allocations droped all that was said is one reason that may be why
When on LEH if more is harvested in one season then they wanted the allowable permit numbers can be
dropped the next year.
If the ungulate numbers are as bad as some are saying then maybe should be no hunting in those areas
every dead animal is a lose, but then one would have to believe in conservation and be concerned about the
wildlife.
But keep on with the attacks and hatred.

j270wsm
07-03-2019, 01:15 PM

I wasnt upset so there is no need to calm down. I’m not trying to discourage the op or his cousin. Just telling him what the locals are seeing. Whether you believe it or not the moose population has plummeted over the last 10yrs just like the elk, except there hasn’t been a cow moose hunt in over 25yrs. Yes there are still moose in the valley and hunters will kill some bulls every yr but I’m willing to bet that the population has dropped by 75% I’ve the last 10yrs.

bigben
07-03-2019, 06:29 PM
tough hunt can be done time spent out there crucial Buono fortuna