PDA

View Full Version : Moose yes Elk no

Frango
09-24-2007, 12:05 PM
Just got back from the Chetwynd area.Our group came back with one spike moose but no elk.We called many 5x5's but nothing legal.Even the just 5x5 it never gets dull..They where very aggressive.Lots of barking and roaring.The roads up there after the rain are like grease.Trucks ,quads and boots all covered in mud...Ahh Hunting!!

Leaseman
09-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Good to hear your success....did you see a lot of game?

CHilko21
09-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Beauty. Good to hear you came back with meat, and sounds like it was a good trip.

Frango
09-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Yes Leaseman lots of game .Many cow/calf moose and quite a few cow elk.And perhaps 8 bear.I did not see alot of deer however.

mark
09-24-2007, 04:34 PM
Hey Frango, did you guys even see a legal elk? I ask because we hunted chetwynd for 2 weeks and saw 27 bull elk but not one 6 pointer, just wondering if you found the same thing!

Frango
09-24-2007, 04:48 PM
Mark,We saw maybe 10 bulls and not one with 6 points.One guy we where talking to said he thinks all the big bulls where killed by the bad winter last year. Because they had no fat reserve after rut.Maybe bs ?but who knows.We have hunted the same area for a number of years and always get a bull.The other thing is there was doe opening in this area and we did not see many deer.So why a doe opening when numbers seem down.??

mark
09-24-2007, 06:09 PM
hey frango, we developed the exact same theory about the last years rutting bulls not making the winter! 15 years of hunting that country weve always at least seen some big heavy bulls and lots of sign of em. this year nothing at all, just light 5 pointers running the herds :cry:. From what i saw and heard any elk that were taken were just little 5 points, with a little extra point on em! As for deer we saw about 10% of normal years!

talver
09-24-2007, 08:35 PM
did you take any pics?