PDA

View Full Version : Which type of shelter?

summit151
06-30-2019, 09:54 AM
Hello, so I am in the market for a shelter mainly used for sheep hunting in Alberta. I have stayed in buddies 2 man free standing pole style tent and it was TIGHT with our packs/rifles in it with us. So I have wanting to buy my own tent as I planning some solo scouting and hunting trips. I have been looking at the seek outside tipi style shelters mainly the Cimarron I know it’s big but would be nice to have the extra room if a buddy tags along. The things I like about the tipi style. The option of a stove and a nest of needed. I am worried how these style
of tents handle wind tho?? I would like to try and camp high in the alpine area this year vs hiking up and down every day and the foot print is large so I am thinking it might be hard to find a flat area that large in the mountains... Does anyone have experience with these for sheep hunting? And what would ever one recommend I buy ?

xlcc
07-01-2019, 06:46 PM
I would recommend a high quality 3 season mountain tent.They are built for windy conditions or poor weather.Forget about cooking in them.Not a good idea.The expense will be worth it the first storm you are in.

358mag
07-01-2019, 06:55 PM
i would recommend a high quality 3 season mountain tent.they are built for windy conditions or poor weather.forget about cooking in them.not a good idea.the expense will be worth it the first storm you are in.
xxxx2 ^^^^^^^

Mudsey
07-01-2019, 07:09 PM
In my goat and sheep days I used a MSR Hubba Hubba. Inside was room for 2 guys and nothing else but it was light and compact. It has 2 side entrances and a vesibule on each side. I kept my boots and rifle in the vesibule and used a very heavy duty garbage to pull over my pack at night. I have cooked with a small pack stove in the vesibule when raining but wouldn't recommend if windy. As the tent is so light I did a lot of trips with a partner who had the same tent and it's quite comfy for 1 person.

Romain
07-02-2019, 06:06 AM
I use an MSR Mutha Hubba (3 man) whenever were in the mountains for sheep. Super lightweight and easy to setup. Also have TONS of room for 1 guy and lots of room for 2 as you can keep your boots, clothes and gun inside the tent with you. When were coming out of the mountains and set up camp down lower we use a Kifaru Sawtooth and stove. Nothing like cooking sheep steaks over a stove and having a glass of whiskey while its thundering down snow outside and staying warm and dry.

RiverOtter
07-02-2019, 08:17 AM
For solo pursuits, Hubba NX.

-Lots more room than 1/2 of a 2 person tent.
-Much easier to find flat spots for setup.
-Shrugs wind great when guyed out, especially with the narrower profile.
-Will handle blowing rain and sleet and still keep you dry.
-Light and compact

Trying to cover too many bases with one tent leads to grief.

Ron.C
07-02-2019, 08:34 AM
I use an MSR Mutha Hubba (3 man) whenever were in the mountains for sheep. Super lightweight and easy to setup. Also have TONS of room for 1 guy and lots of room for 2 as you can keep your boots, clothes and gun inside the tent with you.

My buddy has the same tent. Awesome piece of kit for 2 guys on a backpack hunt.

KodiakHntr
07-02-2019, 10:26 AM
A home made camper makes for a heavy pack into sheep country...

338win mag
07-02-2019, 11:22 AM
A home made camper makes for a heavy pack into sheep country...
LOL, I posted in the wrong one...sorry about that.

porthunter
07-02-2019, 11:42 AM
Just picked up a Hilleberg Akto, cant wait to try it out.

Going to be my 1 tent to do it all, summer to winter.

IronNoggin
07-02-2019, 11:56 AM
... I have been looking at the seek outside tipi style shelters mainly the Cimarron I know it’s big but would be nice to have the extra room if a buddy tags along.

We use a larger version from the same company as the one you are thinking of:

https://i.imgur.com/1gl7bJe.jpg

And although fairly light for what it is, it is ONLY used for base camp. Far to large to consider dragging up the hill.

They are very stable in the wind, and will shed water / snow like a duck.
You have to make sure you have the liner installed, or will face rain-like condensation issues.
Floor is a great addition, as is the super lightweight stove & chimney they make.
All adds up to more weight.

The large footprint when up top is a real concern. Many a time I have had a tough time simply finding a flatish enough spot to make a simple tarp tube to overnight in.

https://i.imgur.com/1TitQvW.jpg

And it can also be a tad tricky to find the right spot for an ultralight, let alone one of the tipis:

https://i.imgur.com/ViP2SL7.jpg

These are great tents - for a base.
As the others have pointed out above, there are MUCH better choices for packing uphill and spike camping with.

Cheers & Good Luck with your decision...
Nog

jac
07-02-2019, 01:45 PM
We bought 3 lux mini peaks for sheep hunting trip. Have only used once but will really tested them out for 10 nights next month

KodiakHntr
07-02-2019, 04:09 PM
LOL, I posted in the wrong one...sorry about that.

Well it did make me laugh.