PDA

View Full Version : Bow Hunting and Mosquitos

brn2ryd
06-29-2019, 04:58 PM
How are you guys dealing with Mosquitoes while bow hunting? I can't walk in the woods, let alone sit in a treestand without being absolutely swarmed.
To keep the scent down, I have't been using bug spay. And if I layer up, I overheat. If i head up and out of the timber, all i run into is grizzly.
It really put a damper on this years spring bear hunt.
Any tips?

RackStar
06-29-2019, 05:19 PM
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/thermacell-woodlands-mosquito-repellent-camo-0754640p.html

brn2ryd
06-29-2019, 11:26 PM
Thanks,
ive heard of those before but didn’t realize they were odourless. I’ll give that a try.

J_T
07-01-2019, 07:37 AM
My rule of thumb, if I'm in bug country, I'm not in the immediate area of elk. The elk hate being pestered by bugs. If they have the option, theyll move to a location, cooler, better air flow etc, to get out of the bugs.
Never have an issue with bugs during elk hunt.
Hunt elk where you find them.

Huevos
07-09-2019, 05:50 PM
x2 for the thermacell. Tried, tested, and proven at least in spring bear. I've never used it in the fall. I should say that this only works if you are stationary. It takes anwhere from 5 to 15 minutes to build up an area around you.

Danny_29
07-09-2019, 06:14 PM
I'm very interested in this thread. I go back to Manitoba every year for the first week of archery trying to get a velvet buck. The mosquitos are horrendous...I'll try any and all suggestions and report back after field tests.

acal57
07-09-2019, 06:30 PM
Thermocell. Can confirm it works. Used it for years in ON turkey woods. Works just as well out here.

whitlers
07-09-2019, 08:45 PM
You can buy odorless bug spray. I think I got my bottle at wholesale sports before they closed down. Works good.

IronNoggin
07-10-2019, 12:01 PM
Had not even heard of a Thermocell until I joined the Excalibur Forum.
Some of those boyz hunt the southern US swamps in peak bug season (shudders!).
And that is exactly what they use.
So I got one and tried it out.

Long story short: I now have two Thermocell units.
Tried, tested and very True!

Cheers,
Nog

Bubbacanuck
07-10-2019, 01:02 PM
X4 for thermacell. I love mine!! its awesome seeing a cloud of mosquitos around you and none landing on you

downsouth204
07-11-2019, 06:49 AM
Thermacell. The one in the first reply to your post. Get two if you want bigger area protection or have shifting winds.

Riverbc
07-15-2019, 08:51 AM
thermacell!

Jagermeister
07-15-2019, 11:52 AM
My rule of thumb, if I'm in bug country, I'm not in the immediate area of elk. The elk hate being pestered by bugs. If they have the option, theyll move to a location, cooler, better air flow etc, to get out of the bugs.
Never have an issue with bugs during elk hunt.
Hunt elk where you find them.Now this is sound advice, heed it! Thermacells make a noise, you probably can only faintly hear it, but it's likely screaming in the ears of deer, elk and moose.

Bubbacanuck
07-15-2019, 12:07 PM
Now this is sound advice, heed it! Thermacells make a noise, you probably can only faintly hear it, but it's likely screaming in the ears of deer, elk and moose.

The newer version of the Thermacell is quieter when igniting, but I ignite mine before I even leave the truck. I haven't had an issue with game hearing the thermacell. Took a turkey this spring with my thermacell running the whole time; I had elk & deer within 5 feet of me for hours.

Ali_G
07-16-2019, 11:36 AM
I'm with the Thermacell guys. I bought one the other week for a camping/recon trip. Neither me or the girlfriend had a single bite after 3 days. I also used it on a couple of hikes with great success.

45freezer
07-18-2019, 03:32 PM
I've always been of the hardcore "no bug spray" mindset as well no matter how bad it gets, just layer up and sweat...until last month that is, finally caved one Saturday afternoon in some extra buggy timber and borrowed a few sprays of my girlfriends bug spray, called a bear in and shot him at 30 about an hour later. 12 hours my ass though, was getting chewed alive the whole tracking job. Thermacells are good if you're stationary but I have't had any luck hiking with it so it collects dust most of the time, just spray yourself down and play the wind.

brn2ryd
07-19-2019, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the advice. I Picked up a Thermacell. It was the last one on the shelf or I would have picked up two. I'll chalk that up to another testament to how well they work (and how bad the mosquitoes were this year). I haven't used it yet. Spring bear closed and the mozzies died down somewhat. Come August 15th I'll be above treeline playing the wind where I know the bears will be dining on Berries.
I'll give the Thermacell a try next spring when I'm in the tree stand.

But damn, The Thermacell comes with a pretty stiff warning label.

IronNoggin
07-20-2019, 01:24 PM
... But damn, The Thermacell comes with a pretty stiff warning label.

Don't lick the blue pads... :lol:

Nog

mastercaller
07-23-2019, 06:44 AM
Muskol had an odorless liquid you could rub on