PDA

View Full Version : November Moose

Beau
06-28-2019, 05:16 AM
Got an LEH for bull moose in 3-31 for November. Any tips on hunting moose post rut? It will be my first time hunting moose, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

RyoTHC
06-28-2019, 05:37 AM
What reliably works for me is to do tonnes of research of the area, then a smidgeon of Google Earth and then use my two feet and a heart beat scout and find the animals.

browningboy
06-28-2019, 06:24 AM
Do a summer scout trip or even October, use google earth etc. Usually the bulls are bagged after the rut and go thick timber, it will be a tough hunt but find fresh sign then walk

Fella
06-28-2019, 07:00 AM
Got an LEH for bull moose in 3-31 for November. Any tips on hunting moose post rut? It will be my first time hunting moose, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

I had a November bull draw in 3-37 a few years back. We got up high and called. 2 moose down by 11:30 the first day.

albravo2
06-28-2019, 07:16 AM
Congratulations! You must be pretty excited. I was going to say moose is my favourite hunt but I realized they are all favourites one way or another.

If you are successful you will be amazed at how friggin' big a bull moose is. Check out some filed dressing videos on youtube and be prepared to get bloody and really tired. It is a lot of work. Not much risk of meat spoiling in November, so you have that going for you.

Have fun!

markt308
06-28-2019, 07:20 AM
One of my fav times to hunt moose. You need to find the feed. As mentioned, I suggest a trip beforehand and look for willows/red willows as this is what they like to feed on. Spend your time around the willows and you'll have a great chance. I find first thing in the morning is best. You gotta be out before light. Don't worry about calling except maybe a quick cow call to stop a bull maybe. Some guys will tell you they call them in in November but I reckon glassing high probability areas is better in Novemeber. Put your time in and you have a great chance of filling that tag. Good luck

Beau
06-29-2019, 08:44 AM
Thanks guys! I’m pumped to get out there and scout around

curt
06-29-2019, 07:43 PM
remember I believe there is no quad access due to previous fires so make sure you have a decent 4x4 and a good pair of walking boots!

srupp
06-29-2019, 10:52 PM
One ofitsmy fav times to hunt moose. You nIed to find the feed. As mentioned, I suggest a trip beforehand and look for willows/red willows as this is what they like to feed on. Spend your time around the willows and you'll have a great chance. I find first thing in the morning is best. You gotta be out before light. Don't worry about calling except maybe a quick cow call to stop a bull maybe. Some guys will tell you they call them in in November but I reckon glassing high probability areas is better in Novemeber. Put your time in and you have a great chance of filling that tag. Good luck

Hmmm exellent advice..look for red willow..near water courses...if lots of snow..back skidder trails..the food and tall thick tmber wont be far apart..saving resources..look for points just inside the timber...most escape routes..look for blue..in the snow shadows of moose tracks look blue compared to white surface snow.
Moose will not be moving far..its now chow time..survival..40 pounds of food per day.
Some cows will come into second heat..3rd heat ? But best bet find tracks near food source and close to bedding..sneak SLOWELY into wind...
Good luck
Srupp

tinhorse
06-29-2019, 11:42 PM
Yep red willow and thick timber. Got our bull last year (was in a group of 3 bulls) in ņovember. Glassed from over four km away in what looked like open pine beetle kill. Got over in the area and it was wicked blowdown with three year old cuts and red willow growing up throughout. Lake was five hundred meters away. Found their tracks in mud and found antlers bedded in thick blowdown.

Get up high and glass large areas! Like others have said, good feed and bedding areas. I like the high elevation areas as long as there isn't too much snow.

Bustercluck
06-30-2019, 07:12 AM
I’ve hunted November a few times now and I’ve found they seem to move right around the end of October into the first week of September. I spent quite a bit of time scouting in October and seeing lots of sign and moose in an area to find nothing two weeks later. Most of the guys I talk to seem to find moose hanging out in groups during the late season. I wouldn’t bother calling, you’re probably more likely to spook something off instead of calling it in. Definitely get out in the bush before the sun is up.

Definitely not as productive as the rut.

Ride Red
06-30-2019, 07:37 AM
Lots of great advise on here;
1. Food
2. Water
3. Peace and quiet

Beau
07-01-2019, 06:34 PM
Thanks guys! Lots of good advice here