PDA

View Full Version : Chemical Spraying

slowjo
06-26-2019, 08:28 AM
after reading the moose survey forum posts and the brief discussion on chemical brushing, i thought i'd share my letter to west kootenay MLA katrine conroy and her response. i'd like to hear what others think.

slowjo
06-26-2019, 08:31 AM
I am opposed to the use of chemical herbicides in forestry on crown lands. I would like your support to see its use prohibited.

My family and I are avid users of our Kootenay forests for recreation. We enjoy the natural diversity that exists in the mountains surrounding our home and elsewhere in the province.
Spraying to eliminate leafy growth to boost timber production is an obscene misuse of our crown forests. It can harm all aspects of forest life, wildlife, and aquatic life. It is misuse of the authority granted to BC Timber Sales.
May I ask, what are you personally doing to prevent the use of chemical herbicides in our Kootenay forests?
Are you in favor of herbicide use in Kootenay forests?
The proposed areas to be sprayed can be found through this link:
https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/ftp/TOC/external/!publish/Forest%20Stewardship%20Plan/BCTS%20TOC%20Annual%20Referrals/Columbia%20Field%20Team/2019%20Site%20Prep%20Referral%20Blocks/?fbclid=IwAR1fuDvEeTzyYN3skENjeFFxoQw6hMsDoj2fuFkB IXVHgmlKPca7skuMy3g
I would like your support to see chemical herbicide use by forestry on crown land prohibited.

Thank you and I look forward to your response,

slowjo
06-26-2019, 08:33 AM
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on this important topic. The health and sustainability of our local forests are close at heart to most of us who live here in the West Kootenays, and are of great importance to MLA Katrine Conroy. (Who, by the way, asked me to respond to you as she is unable to respond any time soon). When I looked into this matter further I found a few things which you may find of interest.

That if a forestry company chooses to use chemical brushing, they must work under BC’s Integrated Pest Management Act (IPMA), administered by the Ministry of Environment, and prior to obtaining authorizationunder the Integrated Pest Management Regulation (IPMR) for large scale operations on public land, there must be consultation with the public and First Nations. Requirements must also be met under the IPMR to minimize the impacts to the environment and people, including setbacks from fish-bearing streams and lakes, no treatment zones surrounding drinking water wells and water intakes, and public notification.
It is also important to note that since 1990, there has been a decline in the amount of chemical brushing used in BC’s forests.

BC’s reforestation practices are updated when new scientific research and information becomes available – recently, this saw the Ministry start to allow increased levels of aspen and broadleaves in managed stands throughout BC, which will cause a further decline in chemical brushing. Use of superior orchard seed, improved nursery techniques, fast-growing seedlings and well-timed planting is also reducing the amount of brushing required.
MLA Katrine Conroy wanted me to thank you for reaching out, and I want to encourage you to continue advocating for issues that matter to you. If you have more questions or concerns regarding this particular topic, feel free to reach out anytime.
Kind regards,

Cyra Yunkws
Casual On-call Constituency Assistant to Hon. Katrine Conroy , MLA Kootenay West

adriaticum
06-26-2019, 08:41 AM
Forestry industry is the worst environmental disaster we have

koothunter
06-26-2019, 09:06 AM
Forestry industry is the worst environmental disaster we have

False! People are. If we are here, we need resources, and to call one of the only renewable resources on the planet an environmental disaster is ignorant and silly. I hope your home is made of plastic and other non renewables.

adriaticum
06-26-2019, 09:11 AM
False! People are. If we are here, we need resources, and to call one of the only renewable resources on the planet an environmental disaster is ignorant and silly. I hope your home is made of plastic and other non renewables.

It's true and you can deny it until cows come home.
The way BC is doing forestry is stupid and it's destroying the forests and the environment.

Yes timber is a good renewable resource, just BC is not smart enough to protect it and use it properly.

northof49
06-26-2019, 06:27 PM
^^^^So take a stand and sell your wood framed home....unless the lumber came from elsewhere.

horshur
06-26-2019, 07:01 PM
Ffs we are logging stands that were logged in the Forties and fifties...next to farming most renewable resource in BC..

Harvest the Land
06-26-2019, 08:25 PM
Totally agree with original poster. Good on you for writing to your MLA! Spraying the aspen (primary moose, beaver, deer etc. food staple) with glyphosate is absolutely obscene. And we wonder why moose numbers are down in most areas while at the same time we're deliberately poisoning and killing off one of their staple food sources. It's so hard to believe this is still occurring.

I also think it should be a requirement for timber companies to control burn each cutblock after they clear them to trigger a quicker natural "re-gen" of the forest, and then re-plant with the coniferous trees that they want to harvest again in 70 years; and stop the spraying of glyphosate on the aspen immediately. To me this is common sense.

For the record, I worked in the forestry industry for 8 years '98 - 2005. I planted over 1.2 million trees over that period, across 5 provinces and down in Washington. I also did a number of brushing contracts, I girdled the aspen, and yes, regrettably I also sprayed them on a couple contracts one season. (At the time I had no understanding of the negative consequences of killing the aspen - now I do). Little bit of layout. Some burning of slash piles. So I have a decent idea of how the silviculture part of the industry functions.

Yes forestry has been a giant reason why BC has prospered for so long and its a very important component of our economy - nobody is disputing that. All I'm saying is we can do SO MUCH BETTER at how we manage our most precious resource - our forests. Why are we spraying glyphosate in our forests? This has to end

RyoTHC
06-27-2019, 05:17 AM

BCs version of forestry is disgusting and mismanaged. To call this dumpster fire renewable is a joke, you clearly work for the industry and drink the coolaid.

adriaticum
06-27-2019, 08:06 AM
^^^^So take a stand and sell your wood framed home....unless the lumber came from elsewhere.

You're missing the point.

Hunter gatherer
06-27-2019, 08:22 AM
It's not so much people as it is GREED .

Throwaway
06-27-2019, 09:59 AM
You ever hear of steel studs bro? Welcome to 2019, where 85% of lumber in homes has been replaced by recycled steel studs. If it ain’t a window or a door way why would you ever use lumber? You like things that are heavier, more expensive and catch fire?

Darksith
06-27-2019, 10:54 AM
You ever hear of steel studs bro? Welcome to 2019, where 85% of lumber in homes has been replaced by recycled steel studs. If it ain’t a window or a door way why would you ever use lumber? You like things that are heavier, more expensive and catch fire?

Hahahaha, that is simply not true...85% you say. Maybe if you count condo's in high rises in the LML but the rest of the province is still building with wood

Ron.C
06-27-2019, 10:58 AM

Have to echo Darksmiths comment. Steel stud construction in our area is by in large used in commercial construction. Lots of residential buildings going up in my area, have yet to see one with steel studs.

HarryToolips
06-27-2019, 09:07 PM
Totally agree with original poster. Good on you for writing to your MLA! Spraying the aspen (primary moose, beaver, deer etc. food staple) with glyphosate is absolutely obscene. And we wonder why moose numbers are down in most areas while at the same time we're deliberately poisoning and killing off one of their staple food sources. It's so hard to believe this is still occurring.

I also think it should be a requirement for timber companies to control burn each cutblock after they clear them to trigger a quicker natural "re-gen" of the forest, and then re-plant with the coniferous trees that they want to harvest again in 70 years; and stop the spraying of glyphosate on the aspen immediately. To me this is common sense.

For the record, I worked in the forestry industry for 8 years '98 - 2005. I planted over 1.2 million trees over that period, across 5 provinces and down in Washington. I also did a number of brushing contracts, I girdled the aspen, and yes, regrettably I also sprayed them on a couple contracts one season. (At the time I had no understanding of the negative consequences of killing the aspen - now I do). Little bit of layout. Some burning of slash piles. So I have a decent idea of how the silviculture part of the industry functions.

Yes forestry has been a giant reason why BC has prospered for so long and its a very important component of our economy - nobody is disputing that. All I'm saying is we can do SO MUCH BETTER at how we manage our most precious resource - our forests. Why are we spraying glyphosate in our forests? This has to end
I agree the spraying has to end...good letter OP...

walks with deer
06-27-2019, 09:39 PM
darksith...knows what i do for a living...i construct a large percentage of kamloops buildings out of wood!!
now with mass timber regs changing i will be doing more...that said i agree spraying has to stop..

there are numerous papers on the subject i was reading one yesterday from a mr hall in pg..look it up.

Treed
06-27-2019, 10:30 PM
Foresty practices in BC are a mixed bag. Some stuff we do is okay. The annual allowable cut is set by the province and was originally based on the concept of turning decadent old forests into more productive managed stands. In my opinion, the rate of cut has been ecologically unsustainable for 50 years. Beetles and fires have just pushed us faster down the path. The use of chemicals on our forests isn’t limited to non-crop control. The amount of fertilizer that is being spread to reduce mid-term timber supply problems is an eye opener. We know a lot about how it effects tree growth but not much about how it effects ecosystem functions.

Dukeoflawnchair
06-27-2019, 10:45 PM
I would like to suggest that many people have a misguided understanding of modern forest practices. A lot has changed the past 10 years, let alone the past 30 years. For the record, silviculture practices no longer leave barren conifer monocultures - I know that the “old boys” would spray once for site prep, once for establishment, and a final administrative treatment or two for good measure, but nowadays, “pure” conifer stands usually include 10+% deciduous composition, let alone mixedwood declarations.

I’ve officially been managing reforestation for over a decade now, and not just on the ground planting trees or leading crews. As a Silviculture Forester, (RPF with Masters degree), I’m the one who’s been prescribing what treatments our cutblocks get - including the budgets, signing and stamping of declarations, and meeting the legal objectives and sustainability certification standards as required. For the operations that I manage, we will be using somewhere around 15% of the aerial herbicide this summer that we would have used a decade ago. I’ve been aggressively pioneering mixedwood stand management (actually) and I imagine most of you would be floored by how much more money I’ve been allowed to spend to do things “right” as opposed to doing things cheap. I think you’d all also be surprised by how biodiversity is being maintained these days under proper management.

Harvest The Land, I would like to suggest that your proposal of prescribed burning would be detrimental to establishment in many, many circumstances. If you’re up north hunting one of these years, I’d be happy to show you what reforestation of fire salvage blocks look like. In a nutshell, 2+0 512’s don’t have a chance in hell and no amount of manual brushing would help. While I am most certainly familiar with nutrient release and serotinous cones, I think you’ll find that the herbaceous layers (calamagrostis, fireweed in some cases, etc) would capture these nutrients first and strangle out planted seedlings far quicker than natural regen would benefit in regions like mine. This creates circumstances where herbicide is the only way to get seedlings started.

In the end, herbicides used correctly are fantastic at what they’re supposed to do. There are many circumstances where there are no other options. I think instead of fire bombing the industry as a whole for what misconceptions many have, I would instead suggest that you find the companies who rely exclusively on herbicide for brushing practices, in lieu of companies who utilize herbicide judiciously as a component of a truly integrated pest management strategy.

If if anyone would like to know more or to see how biodiversity is maintained and can find their way up this direction, I’d be happy to show you what I mean.

Happy Thursday,

slowjo
06-28-2019, 08:38 AM
I believe the topic that is NOT up for debate is the key role that forestry plays in BC, through economics or otherwise.
To make a point that wood is so all encompassing in our lives that forestry practices should be kept free from criticism is asinine.

Thank-you to @dukeoflawnchair for the very insightful post. In my next letter to my MLA I will stress that diligence is required when choosing silviculture companies to carry out work, as per your point:

"In the end, herbicides used correctly are fantastic at what they’re supposed to do. There are many circumstances where there are no other options. I think instead of fire bombing the industry as a whole for what misconceptions many have, I would instead suggest that you find the companies who rely exclusively on herbicide for brushing practices, in lieu of companies who utilize herbicide judiciously as a component of a truly integrated pest management strategy."

Dukeoflawnchair
06-28-2019, 09:30 PM
Many thanks @slowjo!

I’m pleased to see that you are someone who is able to listen to a different perspective and alter your opinion. The cognitive dissonance is strong with many in the internet.

in the end, it’s usually not the silviculture company themselves, but the forestry company who chooses what to allocate for resources and what to prescribe for treatment. I am pleased to see that many are turning around. We’re even adding sheep grazing :).

happyhunter
06-29-2019, 08:49 AM
Many thanks @slowjo!

I’m pleased to see that you are someone who is able to listen to a different perspective and alter your opinion. The cognitive dissonance is strong with many in the internet.

in the end, it’s usually not the silviculture company themselves, but the forestry company who chooses what to allocate for resources and what to prescribe for treatment. I am pleased to see that many are turning around. We’re even adding sheep grazing :).

Ive heard sheep don’t work well for brush control but goats work very well. Why use sheep?

Dukeoflawnchair
06-29-2019, 02:52 PM
@happyhunter, the sheep VS goats equation comes down to what species composition of vegetation you want to feed them. I'm not as familiar with goats being utilized myself, though appreciate that they are known to have a heartier constitution. For Sheep, there is an order of palatability that they are able to comfortably browse before they find themselves eating crop seedlings (I have a handy chart).

They have a preference for Fireweed, fresh Calamagrostis (they shy away once it gets thick and gross), and rose species, which we tend to have in abundance up here. They have a disliking for Salal, Thimbleberry, Thistles, Trailing Raspberry, Salmonberry, etc - which are easy to avoid around here. Trapper's tea, Lab tea, Baneberry, Lupine, Snowberry, and Rhododendron species are poisonous for them.

As for why use sheep - it will work with what we have up here (in specifically prescribed cases) and we want to support local community food security initiatives where we can.

happyhunter
06-29-2019, 02:58 PM
Interesting. Goats have been used for Invasives around these parts but nobody at the moment is using sheep or goats for silviculture treatments, as far as I know so far. Sounds like your on the cutting edge out there.

FYI I Have heard that goats can actually eat toxic plants in small quantities, and they can regulate the amounts themselves

MattB
06-29-2019, 04:00 PM
I would like to suggest that many people have a misguided understanding of modern forest practices. A lot has changed the past 10 years, let alone the past 30 years. For the record, silviculture practices no longer leave barren conifer monocultures - I know that the “old boys” would spray once for site prep, once for establishment, and a final administrative treatment or two for good measure, but nowadays, “pure” conifer stands usually include 10+% deciduous composition, let alone mixedwood declarations.

I’ve officially been managing reforestation for over a decade now, and not just on the ground planting trees or leading crews. As a Silviculture Forester, (RPF with Masters degree), I’m the one who’s been prescribing what treatments our cutblocks get - including the budgets, signing and stamping of declarations, and meeting the legal objectives and sustainability certification standards as required. For the operations that I manage, we will be using somewhere around 15% of the aerial herbicide this summer that we would have used a decade ago. I’ve been aggressively pioneering mixedwood stand management (actually) and I imagine most of you would be floored by how much more money I’ve been allowed to spend to do things “right” as opposed to doing things cheap. I think you’d all also be surprised by how biodiversity is being maintained these days under proper management.

Harvest The Land, I would like to suggest that your proposal of prescribed burning would be detrimental to establishment in many, many circumstances. If you’re up north hunting one of these years, I’d be happy to show you what reforestation of fire salvage blocks look like. In a nutshell, 2+0 512’s don’t have a chance in hell and no amount of manual brushing would help. While I am most certainly familiar with nutrient release and serotinous cones, I think you’ll find that the herbaceous layers (calamagrostis, fireweed in some cases, etc) would capture these nutrients first and strangle out planted seedlings far quicker than natural regen would benefit in regions like mine. This creates circumstances where herbicide is the only way to get seedlings started.

In the end, herbicides used correctly are fantastic at what they’re supposed to do. There are many circumstances where there are no other options. I think instead of fire bombing the industry as a whole for what misconceptions many have, I would instead suggest that you find the companies who rely exclusively on herbicide for brushing practices, in lieu of companies who utilize herbicide judiciously as a component of a truly integrated pest management strategy.

If if anyone would like to know more or to see how biodiversity is maintained and can find their way up this direction, I’d be happy to show you what I mean.

Happy Thursday,

Good post. Realistically the issue at hand currently is stocking standards and the requirements of a free growing tree. If we can come to a consensus on an acceptable height to diameter ratio for conifer species when overtopped with deciduous competition then that would go a long ways at mitigating any issues with herbicide or brushing use. When I see people blaming forest licensees for spraying or brushing a block it makes me shake my head - lets target the real problem and come to a solution that will fix it (i.e. stocking standards and free growing conifer requirements).

Huntingtyler123
06-29-2019, 07:43 PM

Not true at alllllllllllll not sure where you get that info. Framed houses for 8 years and now build sets for the movies for 5 year now. All homes, houses , apartments are wood framed. Only thing different now but not new is wide open concept rooms, no partition walls. Tons of steel beams throughout. Commercial buildings would be more steel studs

MattW
06-29-2019, 10:26 PM

Happy Thursday,
Great post.
A thought I've had is this...given that past practices actually used more potent (or broader spectrum) herbicides with less regulations on timing and frequency of use and the consensus seems to be that we also were enjoying healthier moose populations, maybe this spraying is not the biggest problem we have going on.

Dukeoflawnchair
07-01-2019, 08:49 AM
@MattB, I hear you there. The "Free From Brush" requirements, in my opinion, are fairly antiquated from when timber values were the only values being managed. Don't get me wrong - I absolutely appreciate the importance of maintaining a sustainable fiber supply (it pays my mortgage), but it's safe to say that absolutely everyone nowadays appreciates that myriad of other values provided by crown forest land.

I'm fortunate to be operating in a region where we have landscape level management tools and conifer, mixedwood, and deciduous reforestation standards. This provides a ton of flexibility that I am advocating for being applied province wide. Our free growing standards are being met and our best modeling suggests that our Predicted Merchantible Volume is usually head and shoulders above the Target Merchantible Volume from our landscape populations.

@MattW, I agree - there is a lot to it. It's safe to say that it's a multivariable equation.

Some researchers such as Lautenschlager out of Ontario have found that a brushing treatment further increases moose browse over time because of accessible vegetation heights being reset partway through:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48170836557_13fdd7c5ea_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2goG8sM)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/2goG8sM) by MattD (https://www.flickr.com/photos/152382263@N06/), on Flickr

(from Effects of Conifer Release with Herbicides on Wildlife, by R.A. Lautenschlager)

...though I would argue that wholesale broadcast application of herbicides would badly impact browse availability for localized moose populations. Temporarily, but temporary during a low winter forage season still leads to mortality.

It is undisputable that some form of cumulative impacts of our land use is impacting moose populations negatively in many areas. I know that wolf and hunter access has been paraded as a major contributor, but it is something that industry (Forestry, Oil and Gas, etc) are striving to improve on.

MattW
07-02-2019, 09:23 PM
@MattB, I hear you there. The "Free From Brush" requirements, in my opinion, are fairly antiquated from when timber values were the only values being managed. Don't get me wrong - I absolutely appreciate the importance of maintaining a sustainable fiber supply (it pays my mortgage), but it's safe to say that absolutely everyone nowadays appreciates that myriad of other values provided by crown forest land.

I'm fortunate to be operating in a region where we have landscape level management tools and conifer, mixedwood, and deciduous reforestation standards. This provides a ton of flexibility that I am advocating for being applied province wide. Our free growing standards are being met and our best modeling suggests that our Predicted Merchantible Volume is usually head and shoulders above the Target Merchantible Volume from our landscape populations.

@MattW, I agree - there is a lot to it. It's safe to say that it's a multivariable equation.

Some researchers such as Lautenschlager out of Ontario have found that a brushing treatment further increases moose browse over time because of accessible vegetation heights being reset partway through:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48170836557_13fdd7c5ea_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2goG8sM)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/2goG8sM) by MattD (https://www.flickr.com/photos/152382263@N06/), on Flickr

(from Effects of Conifer Release with Herbicides on Wildlife, by R.A. Lautenschlager)

...though I would argue that wholesale broadcast application of herbicides would badly impact browse availability for localized moose populations. Temporarily, but temporary during a low winter forage season still leads to mortality.

It is undisputable that some form of cumulative impacts of our land use is impacting moose populations negatively in many areas. I know that wolf and hunter access has been paraded as a major contributor, but it is something that industry (Forestry, Oil and Gas, etc) are striving to improve on.
Thanks for that info. That's interesting and something I wouldn't have thought of.

adriaticum
07-03-2019, 08:14 AM

Happy Thursday,

If what you say is true, it will take many decades before forests have a natural mix of trees again.
I am still seeing whole mountain tops leveled and everything replanted with pine where I hunt in regions 3 and 8.
Now this may be also because I hunt in heavily pine beetled areas so maybe they are just ripping every out so the forest recovers.

Cub Driver
07-03-2019, 08:53 AM
There were a couple of presentations at the BCWF 2019 convention on the topic of spraying. Visit BCWF website, under 2019 AGM, under speakers presentation.

James Steidle’s- Stop The Spay
Dr Lisa Wood’s- Longtern Presistance

MattW
07-04-2019, 09:20 AM
There were a couple of presentations at the BCWF 2019 convention on the topic of spraying. Visit BCWF website, under 2019 AGM, under speakers presentation.

James Steidle’s- Stop The Spay
Dr Lisa Wood’s- Longtern Presistance

The BCWF/Raincoast?

boxhitch
07-04-2019, 10:17 AM
Thanks Duke, some good insight presented there, good to see a balance

albravo2
07-04-2019, 10:57 AM
Thanks Duke, I always get a kick when people are talking sh*t about something they know very little about and an expert from the community comes in and shows the difference between an expert and someone talking sh*t. If I recall, Rocksteady did something similar about prescribed burns and Dutch did the same thing about the safety of tanker traffic in BC.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but it is hard to beat education and experience.

Mudsey
07-04-2019, 11:42 AM
One problem with goats is they love conifers. Best wait to recycle your Christmas tree is to feed to goats.

elch jager
08-06-2019, 11:20 AM
Thumbs up for Bill Kordyban in PG for stepping up and leading by reducing Carrier's glyphosate useage.

https://www.therockymountaingoat.com/2019/07/carrier-lumber-to-stop-aerial-spray-of-forest-for-3-years/

Downtown
08-06-2019, 11:40 AM
No Doubt, Chemicals sprayed on Forestry Lands will eventually find its way into the Food chain and Water affecting eventually everyone.

Cheers