PDA

View Full Version : No LEH? Join the GOS crew

Firstblood
06-24-2019, 09:13 PM
Once again no LEH for me or the brother so no "special" trips to be made for moose elk or mountain critters. We all know the system is rigged...... but we have incredible opportunities to hunt here in BC so what are your GOS plans for the upcoming season? New area? New species? What do you guys plan when the table is open?

My plans are mostly around birds. Ive got access to a new area where I can launch my boat and hammer the ducks and geese all season long, been seein tons of chickens around so they are on the table, and still trying to narrow down more of the upland game like pheasants and quail so my dog and I can spend more time in the field. After I get my fill of that I will spend the usual November in the high country after the spirit of the forest in the muley rut and see what I can see.

twoSevenO
06-24-2019, 09:24 PM
Early September alpine hunt for mule deer - going to start there.
If successful, focus on blacktails and finding my dad a mule deer buck.

If not, i have a couple of other mulie spots i've been meaning to check out for October.
November - blacktails only.

All depends on how it goes at home. Got a 2 month old that will be about 6 by then, so we'll see.

blackbart
06-24-2019, 09:27 PM
Blue grouse, the people that make 12 gauge ammo need to work....

RackStar
06-24-2019, 09:30 PM
Staying home this year. Mountain goat in August,, close to home elk and spike moose. Then spend November looking for a big mule deer. Looking forward to my GOS

dakoda62
06-24-2019, 09:35 PM
Heading for Tetsa River for another Moose hunt!!!!! in Oct.

montec assassin
06-24-2019, 09:37 PM
It's the usual GOS for me. I took a spring black bear and will hopefully harvest another in the fall if the opportunity arrises. I've got my moose, mule and whitetail tags so those will keep me busy. I think the real thrill I am looking forward to is my 10 year old taking his first grouse. It'll be his first harvest and he is pumped for it. September can't come soon enough for him.

338win mag
06-24-2019, 09:46 PM
No draws....I will stay close to home as usual, hunt as much as I can, 2-3 days a week and maybe a couple 5 day mule deer/whitetail hunts probably wont shoot anything until the end of the season, because,, the fastest way to ruin a good deer hunt is too shoot a deer.:smile:

Cyrus
06-24-2019, 10:27 PM
2nd week of September and rut in November for bucks. I dont bother anymore during any other time of the season as typically october has proven to be a waste of time.

plumberjustin
06-24-2019, 11:02 PM
No LEH for me, I’m targeting closer to home. Been scouting a 20km area in the Fraser valley for the past 2-1/2yrs, slowly narrowing the radius. After tons of driving and hiking around, have finally found 2 good pockets of deer. With the glimpse of a couple gray ghosts last season, coupled with the lines of new and old rubs I found. Feeling very optimistic about calling in a buck this November...

Bugle M In
06-24-2019, 11:02 PM
See if one of he guys want try somewhere close for elk early September maybe during Bow.
Have to wait quite late this season for elk otherwise, the 1st week of October in the EK.
Was considering the Peace but my dad who is 80 doesn't want to try somewhere new.
(plenty of time for that down the road plus do a bit more homework)
Expecting a bust on that but had the odd chance here and there (just really slow compared to what it should be)

Going to try heading in for R3 MD a bit earlier, beginning November to look or an old friend I am hoping will still be around?
Depending what happens, on and off til end of the season.
Might try some new terrain, maybe north of Lillooet. (look for some mature growth without so much logging, if that's possible?)

Firstblood
06-24-2019, 11:16 PM
Lots of good GOS adventures to be had it seems, I was just looking at day trips for open season bighorns, Id be happy just to go hiking in some of those beautiful areas. I dont let the LEH get me down, Im really only upset that I dont get to finish building a gun I have a barrel for that Ive been saving for moose for another year, no purpose for it otherwise.

Steelpulse
06-25-2019, 12:41 AM
Like firstblood said we didn’t draw anything. I’m even more stoked though because I can finally make a plan haha, last year shot a nice 4pt on day 1 so I’ll hold off a little longer this year so I can do more deer hunting in the alpine and into November.
ill be on the birds With firstblood and his dog, all the upland, chukars of course, find some quail, a pheasant maybe, long range turkey haha
also plan on venturing farther from van city center and looking for reg 8 6pt or maybe just go to koots will see, that would be a 7-10 day hunt.
All the weekends will be deer, black tail mule and white. Never shot a black tail so maybe that’s a good plan, will see what happens

KBC
06-25-2019, 05:22 AM
Bow season I’ll be looking for elk in the same spot I came close last year in October. If I don’t find one I’ll be back again in the same area in October with my rifle. After that not sure, I’ve saved a week of time to book off sometime in hunting season, probably use it in November.

two-feet
06-25-2019, 06:59 AM
I am in the unique situation of having planned a GOS adventure and now have a pesky moose LEH messing with my plans.

Bugle M In
06-25-2019, 07:13 AM
I am in the unique situation of having planned a GOS adventure and now have a pesky moose LEH messing with my plans.

Sucks to be you...

gunpower
06-25-2019, 07:40 AM
Once again no LEH for me or the brother so no "special" trips to be made for moose elk or mountain critters. We all know the system is rigged...... but we have incredible opportunities to hunt here in BC so what are your GOS plans for the upcoming season? New area? New species? What do you guys plan when the table is open?

My plans are mostly around birds. Ive got access to a new area where I can launch my boat and hammer the ducks and geese all season long, been seein tons of chickens around so they are on the table, and still trying to narrow down more of the upland game like pheasants and quail so my dog and I can spend more time in the field. After I get my fill of that I will spend the usual November in the high country after the spirit of the forest in the muley rut and see what I can see.

I would really like to know how you think the system is rigged ? Myself and my son have not been picked for moose, elk or bison for a number of years. But we have had a few Leh"s in the past. So tell me how the system is RIGGED !!!!! Not everyone can be picked, just like winning the Lottery !!!

Ron.C
06-25-2019, 07:48 AM
No draws for me so I'll just do a week of rifle deer in the EK trying to get some whitetail meat in the freezer. I may do a bit of early season blacktail with the bow, if my trail cameras show me something good.

My big focus this year will be waterfowl hunting with my dog.

eatram
06-25-2019, 07:53 AM
I would really like to know how you think the system is rigged ? Myself and my son have not been picked for moose, elk or bison for a number of years. But we have had a few Leh"s in the past. So tell me how the system is RIGGED !!!!! Not everyone can be picked, just like winning the Lottery !!!

I by no means am besmearching Mr. Shockey. On the contrary, he is the icon in our community. He must be extremely lucky or someone within the ministry thought it best that he wins this tag. Either way, the optics looked bad, and he returned the tag. Outstanding decision-making and proving his character once again. It does smell of "rigged" though.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/archive/index.php/t-108518.html

I've got a number of other examples, but I don't want to dredge this up again. Search for it in other posts.

Arctic Lake
06-25-2019, 07:59 AM
No luck with the LEH Moose Draw for me and my buddy . So I'm going to ask just off the top of my head how far North do I need to go for a GOS on moose that is not crazy with antler restrictions all that business ? Have not hunted a GOS moose in years .
I just don't think its worth a long drive to just try for an immature !

Secondly if there is an are as described above is it worth the time if I only have 10 days and driving from the Lower mainland ?
Thanks Fellas !
Arctic Lake

BStrachan
06-25-2019, 08:24 AM
I br sticking on the Island. More than likely taking a week off work and heading North of Campbell River. On my 4 days off Ilk be hitting the area around Nanaimo and possibly in October head to my cabinet in 100 mile for 8 or 10 days for a hunt slash fishing trip.

Bugle M In
06-25-2019, 08:56 AM
Title should be "Join the general GOS just got "Screwed" Crew:-)

Gateholio
06-25-2019, 09:29 AM
I by no means am besmearching Mr. Shockey. On the contrary, he is the icon in our community. He must be extremely lucky or someone within the ministry thought it best that he wins this tag. Either way, the optics looked bad, and he returned the tag. Outstanding decision-making and proving his character once again. It does smell of "rigged" though.

I've got a number of other examples, but I don't want to dredge this up again. Search for it in other posts.

Isn’t that the special LEH where you can buy as many chances as you want?

So if you had lots of money, you could buy lots of tickets, thereby improving your chances considerably. And if you were in the business of making hunting shows, spending thousands on many tickets may even be considered a business expense.

Ive yet to see any evidence of LEH being “rigged”

twoSevenO
06-25-2019, 09:43 AM
Isn’t that the special LEH where you can buy as many chances as you want?

So if you had lots of money, you could buy lots of tickets, thereby improving your chances considerably. And if you were in the business of making hunting shows, spending thousands on many tickets may even be considered a business expense.

Ive yet to see any evidence of LEH being “rigged”

And I didnt hink it mattered where you are from for those tags, generating funds being the primary goal.
Who cares if it's not a resident if the guy is willing to pay 10x more tha n someone local.

MichelD
06-25-2019, 10:17 AM
Did an inventory of my game meat supply yesterday morning even before I heard the LEH news and at the rate Mrs. and me are consuming it, I'm stocked up until September 2020 so I'm not heartbroken about no LEH this year.

A deer or black bear this fall will just be icing on the cake.

Bugle M In
06-25-2019, 11:28 AM
Did an inventory of my game meat supply yesterday morning even before I heard the LEH news and at the rate Mrs. and me are consuming it, I'm stocked up until September 2020 so I'm not heartbroken about no LEH this year.

A deer or black bear this fall will just be icing on the cake.

Weren't you going to try for elk this season in the Peace???
Thought it was you but might be wrong? (might have been Ron C., cant remember)

Ron.C
06-25-2019, 11:40 AM
Weren't you going to try for elk this season in the Peace???
Thought it was you but might be wrong? (might have been Ron C., cant remember)

No sir, I tried for another Island Rosie LEH, although in a different zone than last year. Probably a good thing. Getting an island rosie LEH for a second straight year. Would have sent the LEH Conspiracy Tinfoil Hat Club and boohooers into a fit of rage :cry:

Bugle M In
06-25-2019, 11:45 AM
No sir, I tried for another Island Rosie LEH, although in a different zone than last year. Probably a good thing I didnt get drawn, for a second straight year. Would have sent the LEH Conspiracy Tinfoil Hat Club and boohooers into a fit of rage :cry:

I'll get over it!
Just interesting how some win a draw that should be hard to get and win it several times over?
And either folks got zilch or got a couple or several.
Hope they have success as we could use a few hunting stories on here again.
Waiting another year is the part that really sucks!

KodiakHntr
06-25-2019, 12:28 PM

I do recall that the reason he gave that tag back was from a member here tallying up all the days Jim spent out of province from hunts he had posted on his blog and social media, and said member cast doubt on Jim actually being in the province for 6 months previous. That was a gray area around residency in that particular situation as it couldn’t be proven either way and he was only a day or two short of 6 months, so Jim gave back the tag.

albravo2
06-25-2019, 12:34 PM
Yeah, it is easy to forget that we have one of the best GOS in the world here in BC. From moose in August to ducks in January a guy can really get some variety without winning the LEH lottery.

I'm seriously mulling a trip up NW for the moose GOS in late August. A little nervous because I'd be flying myself and I don't really know the area or the weather well enough to be comfortable. If not this year, next for sure.

Otherwise, I plan to hunt lots of chickens and Region 3 & 5 mule deer and a bear if the right one turns broadside at the right time.

Huntingtyler123
06-25-2019, 04:36 PM
Unsuccessful for moose, elk and bison this year :( can’t wait for September now haha, going to fish to pass the time this year.

LBM
06-25-2019, 04:57 PM
No draws for me so I'll just do a week of rifle deer in the EK trying to get some whitetail meat in the freezer. I may do a bit of early season blacktail with the bow, if my trail cameras show me something good.

My big focus this year will be waterfowl hunting with my dog.
Get an elk tag, all ready a few bulls on camera, in the MU you hunt goat and G bear

hparrott
06-25-2019, 06:41 PM
Took September and most of October off of work this year to hunt. No definitive trip plans yet but I’ll be out there enjoying the GOS life

Ron.C
06-25-2019, 07:40 PM
Get an elk tag, all ready a few bulls on camera, in the MU you hunt goat and G bear

thanks for the heads up.

We will most likely catch the last couple days of elk season. If I do I'll hunt a couple VCA's that head into that goat spot.

Firstblood
06-26-2019, 07:08 PM
Always good to see the GOS crew planning on getting out there. I dont actually think the system is rigged, just pokin some funI I apply for everything every year, the odds are not in my favour but Im happy to make my yearly donation with the hopes of good luck. As has been said we have incredible opportunities in BC, some of the best in Canada for the variety and over the counter options. Being from Ontarible I count my blessings every day, saw 5 bears and a dozen bucks in the fuzz today, a few in the 4x range already, how can I complain.

slowjo
06-27-2019, 06:04 AM
i’ll be chasing bugles close to home during bow season and with a rifle until gos closes. after that, long walks in the woods with my son and dog, chasing hares and ruffies. the last two weeks of november, my son and i will be preying on whitetails from the comfort of our camp trailer, it will be his first whitetail hunt!

nebcfarmer
06-27-2019, 06:18 AM
Wait for elk to wander through the pasture

gunpower
06-27-2019, 08:53 AM
Firstblood , I know that you are , so called joking about the system being rigged. But I get a little choked when people say things like that ,about a system ,where thousands of hunters apply for a draw on the LEH . It's the same thing about guys that complain about other hunters hunting in their so called hunting area , and that animal has their name on it !! We have the greatest hunting season in all of Canada. In all the years of hunting ( 50 years) ( my luck ) I have taken 3 bull elk, 3 moose with other guys and quite a few white tail, and 1 mulie buck, which should have been left in the bush, it was so stinky. So , some guys just have better luck than others with the leh draws , doesn't seem fair, but that's the way things work out !!!!

Drillbit
06-27-2019, 11:20 AM
No BC leh for me again, so I'll hunt out of Province.

HarryToolips
06-27-2019, 09:50 PM
My hunting is more limited this season with a brothers wedding and having to take two weeks off during the season for that...but I will be trying to fill the freezer withelk/deer, my main objective will be to get my first elk...

Mik
06-28-2019, 10:57 AM
No LEH for me this year, but no big deal as i always consider LEH as a bonus. This province has phenomenal hunting during GOS. Mt. Goat in the Kootenays, Moose/Elk/Caribou and Sheep up north :)

Boner
06-28-2019, 11:52 AM
No LEH for me this year, but no big deal as i always consider LEH as a bonus. This province has phenomenal hunting during GOS. Mt. Goat in the Kootenays, Moose/Elk/Caribou and Sheep up north :)

Well said sir. LEH is a bonus.

dasnake
06-28-2019, 01:56 PM
My son got a moose leh in zone 5, him, his friend, my friend and myself all got denied doe in zone 5, try again. As for what to hunt, birds, bucks and fish.

Deer_Slayer
06-29-2019, 10:03 PM
Chinese corrupting our hunting. Buying all the licenses and LEH. Poaching bears and any game they can. Wholesale slaughter last few years. Good luck trying to fill tags. Bitched to ministry and got moose LEH extended...so now who got a moose tag?

Noreasny
06-30-2019, 06:19 PM
No leh draws for me just a couple mule deer hunts, a day or two of grouse and will try to get out after a blacktail

TyTy
07-01-2019, 03:08 PM
Same goal as every year, fill two deer tags. Lucky enough to have gotten a fairly local doe LEH authorization, the draw I wanted the most, as it is an easy one to include the wife and young kids on with a high chance of success for a full freezer. The wife may have her CORE by the fall so getting her an opportunity is another goal this season. Love the local deer hunts the most.

Darksith
07-01-2019, 03:59 PM

You can buy unlimited number of entries for that draw...and it was in 2011...who's to say he didn't drop 10k on entries...