PDA

View Full Version : 33 years

bigben
06-24-2019, 12:11 PM
Well another year without success on moose good luck to the individuals that got one

Darksith
06-24-2019, 12:26 PM
what draw are you putting in for? Thats insane, but Im not sure why you simply don't get into a group or go for a low odds hunt. Good thing you have a lot of GOS options.

bigben
06-25-2019, 05:24 PM
what draw are you putting in for? Thats insane, but Im not sure why you simply don't get into a group or go for a low odds hunt. Good thing you have a lot of GOS options.
Have put in shared group and individual hunts in this zone and believe it or not know of two locals that have been drawn four times by one and three times by the second one in same zone oh well i know its a crap shoot as i have not won the 6/49 yet for moose there is always next year lol

Bugle M In
06-25-2019, 05:43 PM
Think the ministry might have to check the "algorithm" on the software their using.
Probably the same company that the Feds used that designed that "Phoenix" software for folks cheques!!!

You know, where some got paid, even "over paid" while others hadn't seen a cheque in a year.

FYI, I ain't f'n Joking either!!

Survival Bill
06-25-2019, 07:47 PM
Me too with all LEH critters each year oh well good to know im not the only one have tried so many different areas too and with the best odds as well seems that dont mean doodoo ....

shottyshooter
06-25-2019, 09:40 PM
My son didn’t get his youth doe draw at .8:1 odds that’s (decimal)8!!! Better than 1:1 odds HTF does that happen?

sad part is he’s a teen and seems to be losing interest in hunting what with girls and all hahaha. He was really discouraged and hinted at not coming this year because he feels it’s hopeless. Last three years have been hot strange weather and we just haven’t been seeing bucks so the doe tag was really encouraging for him.

barry1974w
06-25-2019, 09:59 PM
Cause everybody sees the odds. Most of the hunts with really good odds seem to have plenty of applications the following year

willyqbc
06-25-2019, 10:02 PM
My son didn’t get his youth doe draw at .8:1 odds that’s (decimal)8!!! Better than 1:1 odds HTF does that happen?

Shotty, the odds you see in the LEH synopsis are the "actual" odds from last year. What tends to happen is people see low odds and put in, thinking its their odds for this year. I suspect when you look at that exact draw in next years synopsis, it will be more like 2 to 1. Its too bad he didn't pull one....perhaps look into some of the youth seasons for him?

Take care
Chris

2chodi
06-25-2019, 10:06 PM

Where did you see the .8:1 odds - if it was in the synopsis, that was for last year and would not apply this year?

DStewart
06-25-2019, 10:12 PM

sad part is he’s a teen and seems to be losing interest in hunting what with girls and all hahaha. He was really discouraged and hinted at not coming this year because he feels it’s hopeless. Last three years have been hot strange weather and we just haven’t been seeing bucks so the doe tag was really encouraging for him.

Dont give up, that youth season is a great opportunity.

As mentioned above, the odds can change quite a bit. Everybody sees the good odds and apply, and stay away from the higher ones on a similar hunt. I actually went the opposite this year and applied to some of the draws with higher odds, and while I got extremely lucky, ended up pulling tags. I was surprised to see that on the LEH authorization the ACTUAL odds for the draws were posted and most were about half of the previous year.

Sheep
Last years Odds 130:1
This years Odds 90:1

Bison
Last years odds 60:1
This years odds 20:1

Goat
Last years odds 5:1
This years odds 8:1

srthomas75
06-25-2019, 10:17 PM
why do people every year think that they are applying for a hunt code with a preset determination of the odds? [ when nobody knows how many people will enter that lottery]
I'm also curious of the OP and what sort of draw odds he has been entering. I've been successful on moose draws over the years but they are usually in 5:1 to 10:1 draws. [ this year was 25.5 : 1 and we were successful ]

two-feet
06-26-2019, 06:58 AM
Well another year without success on moose good luck to the individuals that got one

What are the odds on the hunt you put in for? The actual numbers? Why in the world are you not applying for other hunts with better odds? 33 years of the same unsuccessful draw and you might want to swicth up your plan.

Norwestalta
06-26-2019, 11:45 AM
I wish the guys that bitch and whine about the draw wait times in Alberta would pay more attention to what you guys go thru.

Ron.C
06-26-2019, 11:49 AM
I wish the guys that bitch and whine about the draw wait times in Alberta would pay more attention to what you guys go thru.

It's all relevant. Here in BC as everyone knows, the LEH is a crapshoot. If you are willing to travel and work harder for your animal "access hard to reach areas most often on foot", that crapshoot isn't bad and you'll get some tags. " doesn't mean you'll get an animal"

But at least we have the option of hunting almost every big game animal on a GOS somewhere. Just have to be willing to travel and work for it.

My bro in law lives in Wainwright and wont leave the local MU to hunt . But at least he can predict when he'll get his mule deer draw, and is content chasing those tiny whitetail until he does:)

Ron.C
06-26-2019, 11:59 AM
bigben, 33 years is a lifetime for some!!!!!
Out of curiosity, what sort of odds are the hunts you put in for?

Norwestalta
06-26-2019, 04:02 PM
It's all relevant. Here in BC as everyone knows, the LEH is a crapshoot. If you are willing to travel and work harder for your animal "access hard to reach areas most often on foot", that crapshoot isn't bad and you'll get some tags. " doesn't mean you'll get an animal"

But at least we have the option of hunting almost every big game animal on a GOS somewhere. Just have to be willing to travel and work for it.

My bro in law lives in Wainwright and wont leave the local MU to hunt . But at least he can predict when he'll get his mule deer draw, and is content chasing those tiny whitetail until he does:)

That's right. All moose is draw here. In my wmu so is mule deer. Some zones have a undersubscribted moose tags which if a fella wanted to travel and put in the effort would let him moose hunt every year. The undersubscribted hunts kind of turn into a lottery and I'm not positive if you loose priority points. I'm sitting on a priority 11 for mule deer so I should be able to get a tag anywhere in the province. I feel sorry for the guys in bc that spend 40 years putting in for island elk and their neighbors have got drawn multiple times. The only complaint I have with our system is in the case with the bison which in reality was a low odds lottery that some had been drawn more then once. I think something like this should've been a once in lifetime lottery tag.

Darksith
06-26-2019, 04:15 PM

Those odds would of been last years, not this years. Maybe its 1.1:1. Ive lost in some very low odd hunts a few times

Squamch
06-26-2019, 04:24 PM
That's right. All moose is draw here. In my wmu so is mule deer. Some zones have a undersubscribted moose tags which if a fella wanted to travel and put in the effort would let him moose hunt every year. The undersubscribted hunts kind of turn into a lottery and I'm not positive if you loose priority points. I'm sitting on a priority 11 for mule deer so I should be able to get a tag anywhere in the province. I feel sorry for the guys in bc that spend 40 years putting in for island elk and their neighbors have got drawn multiple times. The only complaint I have with our system is in the case with the bison which in reality was a low odds lottery that some had been drawn more then once. I think something like this should've been a once in lifetime lottery tag.

What happens when you have 50 guys with max priority points in a draw with 5 available tags?
What happens the next year when 50 more guys (that's 95 total now) have max points...and still only 5 tags available.
And the next year when 50 MORE guys have max (140 at max points....still only 5 tags).

Norwestalta
06-26-2019, 04:26 PM
What happens when you have 50 guys with max priority points in a draw with 5 available tags?
What happens the next year when 50 more guys (that's 95 total now) have max points...and still only 5 tags available.
And the next year when 50 MORE guys have max (140 at max points....still only 5 tags).

Keep building points until you're drawn or pick a zone where the priority you have built up will work. It will happen just need patience not luck.

ryanb
06-26-2019, 06:53 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wouldn't trade our system for any type of priority system. It's pure luck, and you have the same chance of drawing of its the first year or 50th year putting in for a tag. This is fantastic! Treat it for what it is, a lottery, pure and simple.

Bugle M In
06-26-2019, 06:55 PM
Would make sense on once in a lifetime hunts actually be "once in a lifetime" if you win.
A point system for folks who "always" apply "every year" to the "exact same hunt" should maybe get points towards having a "higher chance".

Lets face it, some people put in this year, but than don't the following etc.
Why not give the "diehards and truly committed" a higher chance.
There must be some way, similar to the nhl as of late.
(And yes, doesn't mean you will win regardless, but it's something)

and no, my posts of late aren't whining etc.
Just scratching my head as to what some are saying is happening is all.
(I am calling a "glitch" in the system!)

two-feet
06-26-2019, 08:43 PM
The meaning of a random draw is not applying on a 30:1 odds hunt and being guaranteed a draw if you apply 30 times, it means having a 30 sided dice and rolling it 30 times. Some guys will hit multiple times, some never will. Not rigged, but random.

RobU
06-26-2019, 09:02 PM
Would make sense on once in a lifetime hunts actually be "once in a lifetime" if you win.
A point system for folks who "always" apply "every year" to the "exact same hunt" should maybe get points towards having a "higher chance".

Lets face it, some people put in this year, but than don't the following etc.
Why not give the "diehards and truly committed" a higher chance.
There must be some way, similar to the nhl as of late.
(And yes, doesn't mean you will win regardless, but it's something)

and no, my posts of late aren't whining etc.
Just scratching my head as to what some are saying is happening is all.
(I am calling a "glitch" in the system!)

I agree. A progressive draw would help create opportunities for everyone. As nobody can explain, some folks simply are luckier at leh than others. Been that way since I can remember. We’re blessed here in BC to have great options outside of leh.

blazing billy
06-26-2019, 10:17 PM
Been putting in for Island Elk since the LEH was invented, 1982 I believe never been drawn.

Squamch
06-27-2019, 07:25 AM
Keep building points until you're drawn or pick a zone where the priority you have built up will work. It will happen just need patience not luck.

Oh, so is there no maximum priority points?

So every year, everyone's odds decrease, assuming more people put in for the draw?

Priority points systems only make for better odds until the year after the first group hits max priority points. Then your odds start to decrease again.

Also, even if you have 10x increased odds (say you put in once, but it is 10 entries)...you could never be drawn. The guy who put in for the very first time and has only 1 opportunity could be drawn. That's how a random drawing works. Yes, the new guy has less chance, but he will still draw over guys with priority points. Then what? Is it still "not fair"?

A truly random lottery is the most fair system. Everyone on even ground every year.

"It will happen, just need patience, not luck."

That means it's a queue, not a draw. And that's not how it works.

Darksith
06-27-2019, 08:36 AM
Have put in shared group and individual hunts in this zone and believe it or not know of two locals that have been drawn four times by one and three times by the second one in same zone oh well i know its a crap shoot as i have not won the 6/49 yet for moose there is always next year lol
In what zone?

And here we go again..."we need progressive draws, point system...blah blah blah. I certainly don't understand why people aren't getting a moose draw, shit we got our second choice this year...in hind sight I will never do that again because that group will now have reduced odds moving forward, but our second choice was an under prescribed interior boat in/fly in hunt which we have the ability to do, not sure we will but...I go on an LEH moose hunt every 3-4 years, there are 3 groups of 4 of us that put in every year. I will never complain that I didn't win the 1:100 or 1:40 draw, that is simply luck, but I will always ensure we get a moose draw simply by playing the numbers and finding that area where the odds aren't too terrible and the success rate is decent.

Ltbullken
06-27-2019, 08:46 AM

Those odds are from last year. Everyone saw those odds and applied this year, thinking wow what a sure thing! If you check the odds next year, you'll see the odds were really bad.

Bugle M In
06-27-2019, 09:20 AM
Those odds are from last year. Everyone saw those odds and applied this year, thinking wow what a sure thing! If you check the odds next year, you'll see the odds were really bad.

Well, one improvement is maybe when the results come out, that they also put in there what the odds actually turned out to be.
Only say this because somewhere in one of these threads someone did say they called the ministry and got info on what the odds were, so the
ministry does have them.
Last thing I want to do is call to be honest.

The thing with this lottery is, and some say it's not luck, but patience (which is a fair statement) is that we all know some win repeatidly where others
don't.
And that's just "luck of the draw", and some are lucky.
But the opposite could be said, that some are unlucky and even with patience, there is a chance they will "never win"!
Remember, luck of the draw!!

Nothing in there to help the "unlucky folks" have "assisted luck"!
Only lucky folks to have some "restricted luck" for a couple of years and then back at par.

Maybe it should be a "back of the line" system once you win.???? somehow???
Just sounds like the system could be improved further, that's all.
I get it, doesn't change anything about winning or not, but just a small improvement they could do.

Nimrod
06-27-2019, 09:29 AM
I'm in the same boat as Bigben
been putting in for a Moose draw since '87 didnt get one yet, all in region 3-12, 3-19 and 8-10, 8-22 with and without groups...
always put in between 3 and 5 applications for various species, in 32 years got a grizzly draw in a sheep area( never went, partner pulled out on the fly in)
and a doe draw for insurance a few years ago ,never filled that one either , found a nice 4 point.
obviously not getting the Kamloops sheep draw in that time inst a surprise but Moose.

buckdynasty
06-27-2019, 11:29 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wouldn't trade our system for any type of priority system. It's pure luck, and you have the same chance of drawing of its the first year or 50th year putting in for a tag. This is fantastic! Treat it for what it is, a lottery, pure and simple.

I 100% agree. People are too quick to complain. I've always viewed LEH as a bonus opportunity. If I get drawn then great, if not there's still plenty of opportunity.

1/2 slam
06-27-2019, 12:57 PM
Been putting in for Island Elk since the LEH was invented, 1982 I believe never been drawn.

1984 for me. The number who've drawn 2,3,4and even 5 makes me sick.

Bugle M In
06-27-2019, 03:46 PM
Okay, I know I have posted a few that makes me sound a bit bitter of the leh.

Here's a good one just told to me by a reliable source who will remain un-named:

Tells me about a hunter he knows (sure hope he isn't an HBC member!), who has in the past 5 years, won the Sechelt Elk hunt "4 times"!!!
Now, he won twice in one of the zones (in a row from what I understand)
And then applied for another zone of the Sechelt elk.
Won again! last year I believe.
Well, you guessed it, he just won again.
Supposedly even his hunting partners do not know! as of yet anyways!

Talk about "Horse shoes"!!
hmmmmm.
And I fully trust from who I got this info.

Darksith
06-27-2019, 05:52 PM
Well, one improvement is maybe when the results come out, that they also put in there what the odds actually turned out to be.
Only say this because somewhere in one of these threads someone did say they called the ministry and got info on what the odds were, so the
ministry does have them.

The winners get told what the odds were

I wouldn't say we are lucky, but I would say we are smart. We have friends that are hunters but have careers like a teacher where they probably won't come (always invited). So we have 6 hunters and between those 6 hunters we have enough other people that we are able to put in 3 full shared hunt groups. So we have 12 chances to hit a 25:1 odd hunt every year (reduced odds not included). putting in as a single in a 25:1, well it just doesn't make sense...

Bugle M In
06-27-2019, 07:47 PM
^^^^all good and understood.
The moose leh we had 3 guys put in for the same areas and nada.
(which last season was 20:1, 1st and 2nd, but because we didn't win, we have no idea what the odds were til "next season, unless I call which I wont)

Same for another 3 putting in for MD Doe's (newbies or wanting to fill the freezer), again nada.

So, it's not for a lack of trying over the pat few years.
Anyways, nothing I can do about it.

Just interesting about the hunter and the elk on Sechelt and getting draws 4 out of 5 years!

Moose63
06-27-2019, 09:33 PM
How is the lottery system auditted?

Bugle M In
06-27-2019, 11:33 PM
How is the lottery system auditted?

Doubt it is.
Just like the cops checking their breathalyzers to make sure they are consistently accurate:grin:

bigben
07-03-2019, 06:36 PM
bigben, 33 years is a lifetime for some!!!!!
Out of curiosity, what sort of odds are the hunts you put in for?
it started around 16 then it went up 29 then 35 but I am thinking with the odds going down 50 percent on a successful one i would be next in line but again this year a buddy of mine got drawn again in a group hunt and he had the tag three times already like I said no sweat just like the area and i hunt there all the time oh well next year again will try another group hunt kept my fingers cross come on 6/49 if it comes all the mooses in the world will not be safe and Ron.C i ll buy you a couple of hunts too Buono Fortuna

browningboy
07-03-2019, 06:55 PM
Been putting in for bison since 1995 and no luck... one day

Ron.C
07-03-2019, 07:02 PM
kept my fingers cross come on 6/49 if it comes all the mooses in the world will not be safe and Ron.C i ll buy you a couple of hunts too Buono Fortuna

haha. lets go!!!!!

bigben
07-03-2019, 07:34 PM
haha. lets go!!!!!
Keep your fingers cross ya never know lol

barry1974w
07-05-2019, 11:06 PM
Been putting in for bison since 1995 and no luck... one day

I’m pretty sure I started putting in for bison when they started the draw for them( I could be wrong, I may have been a year or two too young, but if that was the case I started when I was old enough). So I applied for 20ish years before I drew a tag, then I got another two years later..... go figure..., nothing since though