PDA

View Full Version : Mt Meager Goat LEH - My First LEH!

ynielsen
06-24-2019, 11:07 AM
After 6 or so years I got my first successful LEH. However, I got Zone A of Mt. Meager and i'm seeing a lot of discussion over the last few years about access since the mud slide. Anyone have any recent info regarding getting to the zone?

Thanks and congrats to all that were successful!

Cheers

twoSevenO
06-24-2019, 11:10 AM
i'm surprised you would apply there unless you were well familiar with the area. From what I hear, access is still a pain in the a$$ and you're in for a LONG hike to get to goat country.

ynielsen
06-24-2019, 11:18 AM
Thanks...I did some research, but not quite enough! I'm on the island so was looking for a close goat hunt. I'll do some recci's this summer and see what I can find.

Markjames
06-24-2019, 11:27 AM
Last year The access to that area has been shut down due to grizz habitat. They put a gate at 2 km that is permanently closed. There is another gate at 20 km I believe that is also closed. That is the original gate. No motor vehicle access unless your logging. Patrolled heavy by the co’s Due to the new closure.

ynielsen
06-24-2019, 11:30 AM
Thanks Mark....lame. Well, might not be able to make it happen...talk about a short lived LEH excitement!

monasheemountainman
06-24-2019, 12:11 PM
Thanks Mark....lame. Well, might not be able to make it happen...talk about a short lived LEH excitement!
Bicycle? Dont give up that easy

whitlers
06-24-2019, 12:51 PM
There are other ways of getting in there..

ynielsen
06-24-2019, 01:03 PM
Not sure i'll be able to justify a raft to the wife! I'll do some reconnaissance this summer and see if I can find a way in! Thanks

Skinny
06-24-2019, 01:22 PM
Will send you a PM

markathome
06-24-2019, 01:37 PM
Just want to point out that the Pemberton Wildlife Association was a component of that closure and others in the area and are far from "Lame" - those closures are in place because healthy wildlife needs healthy habitat.

If you need information on that area feel free to email me mark_r@telus.net and I'm happy to help.

Here's a summary: https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/province-to-limit-vehicle-access-for-grizzly-bear-recovery/Content?oid=10032758

ynielsen
06-24-2019, 01:44 PM
Thanks Mark, i'll be in touch.

albravo2
06-24-2019, 01:49 PM
I think it is an awesome LEH, congratulations. I seem to recall there is hiking access to that area through the upper Squamish valley if there is no way across the Lillooet river. I also heard there is access to Meager up the west side of the Lillooet river from Pemberton.

Go for it!

charlie_horse
06-24-2019, 01:50 PM
A raft won't be much help since you will be rowing up river.

granola_eater
06-24-2019, 02:12 PM
I think it is an awesome LEH, congratulations. I seem to recall there is hiking access to that area through the upper Squamish valley if there is no way across the Lillooet river. I also heard there is access to Meager up the west side of the Lillooet river from Pemberton.

Go for it!

I agree with the go for it part here-- you've got a duty to pursue your LEH for the rest of us that put in for them and didn't get a draw. However, I spend a fair bit of time in the back of the Elaho Valley and that is probably just about the hardest access you could try to use to get into the Meager zone. Go in from the Pemberton side, you'll be glad you did.

albravo2
06-24-2019, 02:30 PM
I agree with the go for it part here-- you've got a duty to pursue your LEH for the rest of us that put in for them and didn't get a draw. However, I spend a fair bit of time in the back of the Elaho Valley and that is probably just about the hardest access you could try to use to get into the Meager zone. Go in from the Pemberton side, you'll be glad you did.

I just remembered the name of the access I was thinking about. Clendenning. There is apparently a trail from the parking lot at the end of the Squamish FSR that goes all the way to Meager. I don't think it would be as tough as the upper Elaho.

AllDay
06-24-2019, 02:37 PM
I didn't put in there because my buddy who got a goat out of there two years ago told me it was shut down for the grizz habitat restoration. Hopefully there are ways around that! Best of luck.

Friday_30-06
06-24-2019, 02:45 PM
Is zone B still accessible? Or does the gate affect access here as well.

twoSevenO
06-24-2019, 03:29 PM
I just remembered the name of the access I was thinking about. Clendenning. There is apparently a trail from the parking lot at the end of the Squamish FSR that goes all the way to Meager. I don't think it would be as tough as the upper Elaho.

I thought this park was inaccessible by vehicle? And that the hike-in was like 2 days.

ynielsen
06-24-2019, 05:37 PM

Thanks for that. I'll look into that as well. I will be pursuing!

MichelD
06-24-2019, 06:27 PM
Thanks for that. I'll look into that as well. I will be pursuing!

I believe that takes you to the hot springs. So that would be a two-day hike to get to the base of the mountain.

granola_eater
06-24-2019, 07:29 PM

That is the upper Elaho. The squamish is the next valley over.

Markjames
06-25-2019, 08:30 AM
The gate is about 25km before the hot springs trailhead. Then it’s about 2 day hike in from there. the grizz habitat is a great thing for all the critters out there. And no the “b” side is the other side of the river but with fire season fast approaching they do sometimes close the gate on that side Hopefully we have a rainy summer for everyone’s sake

elch jager
06-25-2019, 09:09 AM
Sounds too much like hard work... I applied for that one too and now I am relieved that I didn't get an authorization.

Good Luck, post pics - It is an awesome area to hike into.

NMO
06-25-2019, 01:05 PM
The gate is about 25km before the hot springs trailhead. Then it’s about 2 day hike in from there. the grizz habitat is a great thing for all the critters out there. And no the “b” side is the other side of the river but with fire season fast approaching they do sometimes close the gate on that side Hopefully we have a rainy summer for everyone’s sake

Sounds like a good spot to hunt. Low pressure from vehicles, day-hikers, and hunters.

eagle eye
07-05-2019, 09:33 PM
Don’t give up,when there’s will,there’s way.never hunted goat in 2-11A
i can give some access tips

ynielsen
07-06-2019, 10:52 AM
Don’t give up,when there’s will,there’s way.never hunted goat in 2-11A
i can give some access tips

Thanks eagle eye. I think i'm going to go scout the weekend of the 20th. Any more tips would be great. Looks like coming in the lilloet fsr to the washout might be the best bet and wade/canoe/raft across depending on water.... Any info about these gates being open or closed would be great. Please PM me with any details. Cheers.

pconpcs
06-27-2020, 12:51 PM
Hi all, anyone have any updates on how this hunt went for ynielsen? Turns out I got the same LEH draw this year, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated, team!! I intend to access the region via Pemberton.

Fella
06-27-2020, 01:02 PM
Yeah I’m curious as to what happened too. Sounds like if enough time was devoted to the hunt it would have been pretty epic.

Gateholio
06-27-2020, 04:28 PM
I would love to hear what happened as well. I haven't been up that way in years now that I think about it. I had a great time working on a goat study there a number of years ago. It's beautiful but can be tough country.

whitlers
06-27-2020, 10:18 PM
Isn't there a a locked gate or no MV access along the upper Lillooet just after the Hurley turn off? I know there is a manned gate just past the Meager slide for the Hydro project but I heard they gated it much earlier last year.

Brew
06-28-2020, 08:08 AM
Didn’t realize this was a year old thread.