View Full Version : Looking for advice re: Hunting by horseback

Ladyhawke
06-21-2019, 09:54 AM
Looking for some recommendations:

I've got a horse that I would eventually like to take hunting with me but I know absolutely nothing about hunting with horses. I've ridden English my entire life and am looking to purchase a western saddle that will be comfortable for long trail rides and hunting. With there being so many different types of western saddles out there ... I was hoping maybe someone could suggest which type/style would be best for what I would like to do.

Also looking for somewhere or someone locally (in the GVRD/Fraser Valley) that teaches how to pack and go on overnight trail adventures/hunts. :-)

allan
06-21-2019, 10:23 AM
There are some people here that would be a good ref to start.
I know people that used to ride with this group. Some of them were big into backcountry camping
http://bchorsemen.org/

Bugle M In
06-21-2019, 11:02 AM
My daughter has gone to Timberline Ranch, not sure if any there would know about packing/hunting.
But, they have been around long enough that they might know people who do/have?

dakoda62
06-21-2019, 11:33 AM
To successfully mount a pack trip you will need to increase your herd. suggest at least 3 if not 4 horses.

BRvalley
06-21-2019, 12:00 PM
I know some work colleagues who took this clinic, they said it was great and learned a lot

http://www.bcoutfitter.com/trail-riding-packing-training-clinic/

Ladyhawke
06-21-2019, 12:41 PM
I know some work colleagues who took this clinic, they said it was great and learned a lot

http://www.bcoutfitter.com/trail-riding-packing-training-clinic/

I've seen this advertised online before and am seriously considering it for next year if I can't find someone local! Thank you :-)

Ladyhawke
06-21-2019, 12:42 PM
To successfully mount a pack trip you will need to increase your herd. suggest at least 3 if not 4 horses.

Planning to get at least 3 eventually! But for now, I've got the one and need some training ;-)

dakoda62
06-21-2019, 12:55 PM
Ive done 4 trips so far, going for my 5th in Oct. Nothing finer lol.

dakoda62
06-21-2019, 02:20 PM
Try and find a lightweight good fitting saddle, Wintec make some nice ones, ensure it has the belly band.

adriaticum
06-21-2019, 03:19 PM
That's my dream hunt. Spend a year on horseback hunting and traveling .

Stresd
06-21-2019, 04:42 PM
Did a lot of horseback hunting out of Teepee Heart Ranch with Billy Hutch many years ago. One of the guys with us, we called the wrangler as he had a bunch of his own horses in Fort Langley. Taught us a lot in the handling of the shitters. Asked him why he didn't just trailer up a couple of his own horses that he was familiar with, instead of using the ones that Dwayne and Marion lent us. Pretty much said that riding/packing his own horses in the country we were hunting would probably kill them as they knew nothing of that type of bush, meadows, terrain or wildlife as they had not been raised there.

boxhitch
06-22-2019, 12:03 PM
What the heck is a 'belly band' ? ))

Any horse can be exposed to trail riding, and any trail ride can become a hunting trip, complexity is subjective
The most basic ride would be a scouting trip for further road hunt with a truck, next level could be riding in, shooting, and then packing the critter out on the riding saddle while walking. and it grows from there
Ladyhawke sounds like you already have horse/s, so the lifestyle of owning is done, now to move on , it will be fun

Wife and I cut our teeth wwwaayyyy back with the Backcountry Horseman group, before they got all 'regulated', learned packing from a guy who took pack trips into the Manning Park area iirc
BCHofBC can be a good resource and offer good exposure, then take your experience from there
They have annual Rendezvous, convention type thing with demos and clinics and vendors etc, the ones in Washington or Idaho are well worth the visit, they have way more to offer than the BC one, unless things have changed lots

On the saddle topic, a good style to look for is called an Association saddle, lots to hold on to and keep you seated.

Jagermeister
06-22-2019, 01:40 PM
Know the difference between a horse and a ATV/UTV? You don't have to feed the ATV/UTV 365/year.
I lived in Quesnel a while back. Was up in the "back 40" when I meet this horsey guy on his mount.
He asks, "You the guy quading around the other side of the hill?"
I goes, "Yeaah. You got a problem with that?"
He says, "No. I was just wondering when you are going to go through to the other end."
Says I, "Why?"
To which he says, "I just find it easier to follow a ATV trail because you open them up and there are less Joe-pokes sticking me and the horse."
"You'll be happy to know that the trail is open now from one end to the other, enjoy. But try to keep it a secret."
The trail was an old grown in wagon road from long ago but getting to the entrance points was was obscure.
Now aside from that.
BRValley's suggestion is probably your best bet. Actually, I think it would be mandatory for you to take the course that Blue Creek offers. You'll get it right the first time.

moosey
08-03-2019, 02:30 PM
I have a fair amount of experience guiding horseback hunts. Generally, you use a whole string of at least four or five horses so you can pack gear, carcass, have a riding horse, and then be able to exchange horses to give them a day off. Still, a single horse would be a great way to get into the back country for day trips. Stalking and shooting is done one foot while the horse is tied up. This is where having at least two horses would be important so they can keep each other company. Alternatively, if you have two people you can have one person to holding/leading the horse while the other shoots. Usually, horses are pretty quick figuring out what you're trying to do and will be remarkably cooperative; if properly habituated they won't have an adverse reaction to a shot being fired. Knowing how to pack is a big part of the whole endeavour, normally this applies to pack saddles and panniers but there are ways to pack a deer-sized animal onto a riding saddle (western) and then lead the horse back to your trailer. I don't have my own horses unfortunately, but send me a PM and I'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

Rob Chipman
08-04-2019, 02:35 PM
Hey Ladyhawke:

I can also recommend Stan Walchuk/Bluecreek/BCOutfitter.com as a great learning resource. That's where I started and it's allowed me to get fairly serious about packing onto the mountains.

Moosey is right - you can go full on pack trip with a big string into the mountains or just ride a single horse back off the road a good ways to get into great country. He's also right about knowing how to pack.

There are some folks in the GVRD/Fraser Valley area doing this. Shoot me a pm and I'll try to connect you.

Jagermeister - know the dif between a horse and an ATV? A horse will go where an ATV can't (At least I've taken my horse where I couldn't get my ATV!) :-)

Although, to be fair, my little ATV will carry more weight than the horse will. I'm not sure which can pull more. Going to have to test that.

barongan
08-06-2019, 11:56 AM
Indeed, very interesting threadhttp://juragan.club/assets/13/o.png

backcountry98
08-07-2019, 03:08 PM
Bring Vicks Vapour rub.... Some horses don't like the smell of dead animal. I had a great do anything horse but always needed a good gob of Vicks up both nostrils before loadin' him up with a deer or else we would have a backcountry rodeo.

Huntin' horseback is a great way to get around but does require extra work in the field but rids you the work of carrying a heavy pack. I would recommend heading out with someone experienced a few times first.

Best part about hunting on horses is you don't have to eat freeze dried meals.

Good luck!