PDA

View Full Version : Dorks in the woods.

Phreddy
09-22-2007, 11:12 PM
I was hunting up the Willis Cr. area today with my grandson. Got to talking to a guy from Vancouver on a quad and he advised me that he shot a 4pt. buck this morning at about 400 yrds. When he got to where the back had been, he found a good puddle of bright red, foamy blood (lung shot).
Tells me he couldn't find the thing after an hour or so and got back on his rig and left.
Don't know about you folks, but if I hit something that hard, in an obviously fatal area, I'd be out there until dark looking for it, as it couldn't go that far and would be leaving lots of trail to follow. I don't know how some folks get a licence.
On the bright side of the coin, as we pulled away from the guy, my grandson muttered, "What a loser.", so at least he's been listening to what I've been trying to teach him.

Allen50
09-22-2007, 11:22 PM
that would be someone to report to a co,, i know its tattle tailing, but do we want these hunter out there shooting and leaving woned deer around, that one sounds like it would not be to far,,

boonerbuck
09-22-2007, 11:30 PM
I look til dark and return the next day looking again hoping ravens will show me.

I've lost one big game animal to not finding him. A week later some yotes and ravens showed me. He was not 100 yards from where he was hit. He ended up under a wind blown down fir somehow completely concealed. I walked by him countless times.

moosecaller
09-22-2007, 11:47 PM
The guy told you he looked for the animal for an hour? Found a good puddle of blood where he hit it? You assume lung shot? did you see the puddle? Sometimes stuff happens, did you offer to help him look for his game? That would have been an excellent lesson for the little guy you had with you! A lesson that what appears to be a fatal hit can not be at times and that is as well a part of hunting, or simply helping a fellow hunter out, this is what we need to show our young and upcoming hunters to be helpful and learn from others. We are not all trackers and sometime the trail just does not keep running animals can stop bleeding even after what first appears to be a fatal hit. To simply judge another hunter as a loser because the game he was attempting to recover got away is not something to be instilling in a young persons mind, we are not all perfect, again stuff happens.

3kills
09-23-2007, 06:38 AM
i think he ment that the guy was a loser cuz he only looked an hour....i agree with ya though it would be good for the young lad to learn to offer help lookin for it...

sparkes3
09-23-2007, 06:57 AM
good points from all.i agree i wouldnt leave after only a hour of searching.but a couple of extra sets of eyes can really go a long way in picking up a track. good luck hunting with your grandson.

mark
09-23-2007, 07:57 AM
Probably wasnt a lung shot! My experience with lung shots is, the blood trail starts out small and gets heavier as ya go. Ive made broadside lung shots on deer at 50 yards (with a .300 mag) And the deer didnt even look like it was hit, simply ran away like normal. Upon inspection, find a little blood, follow the trail and the blood trail turns into a blood highway, leading to the deer within 50 to 100 yards everytime!!!

09-23-2007, 08:53 AM
lt's amazing how far animals can make it with fatal shots. Can't remember which board l read it on but someone posted a response on the subject of wounded animals that.....taking out the heart and or lungs doesn't knock an animal down, brain works, spine and all the muscles work.......they have at least 30 secs to put distance between them and perceived danger. l have seen deer run a considerable distance in that time frame, dead but not knowing it.
That being said, if the blood trail was there, a maximum effort should be put in to finding the animal.......IMHO

moose hunter
09-23-2007, 08:56 AM
That guy is alot more then just a dork, i would have asked where he shot it and tracked it myself to finish it off, some people have no ethics when you wound somthing you have a bloody obligation to look for it otherwise we all look no better then the damn butcher houses, you should have taken out the tires on his atv.

Marc
09-23-2007, 09:31 AM
Easy there killer :mrgreen: we don't want to be portrayed as tire slashing gun toting rednecks. Everyone has their own opinion of how long to look for an animal. Like others have said some are better at tracking then others. I would have probably asked to see the blood trail and gave him a hand. Don't be scared to tell people hey if you need a hand I can help you look. It's all part of the hunt.

It could also have been a BS story and he felt compelled to make something up to make him feel like he's seen and shot something. You'd be surprised at how many people will make stories up just to get a reaction.

That guy is alot more then just a dork, i would have asked where he shot it and tracked it myself to finish it off, some people have no ethics when you wound somthing you have a bloody obligation to look for it otherwise we all look no better then the damn butcher houses, you should have taken out the tires on his atv.

kishman
09-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Probably wasnt a lung shot! My experience with lung shots is, the blood trail starts out small and gets heavier as ya go. Ive made broadside lung shots on deer at 50 yards (with a .300 mag) And the deer didnt even look like it was hit, simply ran away like normal. Upon inspection, find a little blood, follow the trail and the blood trail turns into a blood highway, leading to the deer within 50 to 100 yards everytime!!!

Have to agree here, the little buck I shot in 4-23 two weeks back was a pass through lung shot and the trail was exactly like Mark describes above. Started with a small amount then, blood everywhere, easy trial to follow even for a total rookie like me:tongue:.

Phreddy
09-23-2007, 09:43 AM
The guy told you he looked for the animal for an hour? Found a good puddle of blood where he hit it? You assume lung shot? did you see the puddle? Sometimes stuff happens, did you offer to help him look for his game? That would have been an excellent lesson for the little guy you had with you! A lesson that what appears to be a fatal hit can not be at times and that is as well a part of hunting, or simply helping a fellow hunter out, this is what we need to show our young and upcoming hunters to be helpful and learn from others. We are not all trackers and sometime the trail just does not keep running animals can stop bleeding even after what first appears to be a fatal hit. To simply judge another hunter as a loser because the game he was attempting to recover got away is not something to be instilling in a young persons mind, we are not all perfect, again stuff happens.

Unfortunately, we talked to the guy about 1/2hr before dark. He had shot the thing in the early morning. He was with a party of 5 hunters. Not much I was going to be able to do at that time of day.
On the other side of the coin, the guy has obviously been hunting for a few years, and should have known better than to take a long shot like he said it was if he didn't know anything about tracking.

moose hunter
09-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Easy there killer :mrgreen: we don't want to be portrayed as tire slashing gun toting rednecks. Everyone has their own opinion of how long to look for an animal. Like others have said some are better at tracking then others. I would have probably asked to see the blood trail and gave him a hand. Don't be scared to tell people hey if you need a hand I can help you look. It's all part of the hunt.

It could also have been a BS story and he felt compelled to make something up to make him feel like he's seen and shot something. You'd be surprised at how many people will make stories up just to get a reaction.

right portrayed:wink:

Brambles
09-23-2007, 11:56 AM
I shot a deer a few years ago broadside at 25 yards, didn't show signs of a hit, ran like the wind. I found no blood but couldn't imagine missing at that distance, even though the shot was fast I felt it was a good one.

His tracks were digging deep so I followed him, then through a nearby creek and then we were in some snow, I found him dead about 50 yards from where I shot him and he left NO blood, I couldn't believe it and thought I missed the blood because of excitement so I went back the next day and looked again in the snow and NOPE, NO blood.

Bullet blew up at that distance, won't use them again

Derek_Erickson
09-23-2007, 08:51 PM
He was obviously stoned or drunk