PDA

View Full Version : CWD reported within 50 km of the BC border

Bugle M In
06-04-2019, 12:55 PM
As many of you will likely have heard through the media, there was a new case of CWD reported within 50 km of the BC border in the city of Libby, Montana. An aged white-tailed doe was killed in February 2019 as she was emaciated and sick-looking. Last week, initial test results came back positive for CWD. Results of a second confirmation test are expected soon. This is the first time CWD has been detected west of the Continental Divide in Montana.

Montana is planning surveillance in the area to determine if there are additional cases and if so, disease prevalence, distribution and species affected. Fortunately the BC Wildlife Health Program is working closely with Montana in order to assess the risk and protect B.C. wildlife. Montana’s press release is attached.

Please let me know if you have any questions at this time. I will keep everyone informed as we learn more.

Cait

Cait Nelson
Wildlife Health Biologist | Wildlife and Habitat Branch
Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development
2080 Labieux Road Nanaimo BC V9T 6J9 | 250-751-3219

Bugle M In
06-04-2019, 12:57 PM
FORIMMEDIATE RELEASE—May 30, 2019
Libby whitetailtests positive for Chronic Wasting Disease
Chronic Wasting Disease was recently found in a white-tailed doe that waskilled within the city limits of Libby. Fish, Wildlife & Parks officialscollected the doe after residents reported seeing a very emaciated andsick-looking deer.
This week, initial test results came back positive for CWD. Results of asecond confirmation test are expected early next week. This is the first time CWD has been detected inthe wild, west of the Continental Divide in Montana.
In accordance with FWP’s CWD response plan, an incident command team hasbeen assembled to respond to the detection. The incident command team willdefine an Initial Response Area (IRA) around where the infected animal was collected.This will include an area within a roughly 10-mile radius of the collectionsite. The IRA defines the area within which the disease prevalence anddistribution will be determined. Inaddition, FWP will collect samples from road-killed deer in hunting districts100, 101, 103 and 104.
For people in the Libby area, who see a deer that appears to be sick,please call 291-6539 and leave a message with your name, number, the locationof the animal and the time you saw it.
CWD is a progressive, fatal disease affecting the nervous system of muledeer, white-tailed deer, elk and moose. It is part of a group of diseasescalled Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies (TSEs). TSEs are caused byinfectious, mis-folded prion proteins, which cause normal prion proteinsthroughout a healthy animal’s body to mis-fold, resulting in organ damage andeventual death.
CWD is a slow-moving disease. However, left unmanaged, it could result inlong-term population declines within affected herds. All the states andprovinces that border Montana, other than Idaho and British Columbia, havefound CWD in their wild cervids.
CWD was first found in wild deer in Montana in October 2017. To date, CWDhas been detected in Carbon, Liberty, Hill, Blaine, Phillips, Valley, Daniels,Sheridan and now Lincoln counties. To prevent the spread of CWD within Montana,FWP establishes CWD Management Zones in areas where CWD has been found. Wholecarcass, whole head or spinal column from any deer, elk, or moose harvested cannotbe removed from these zones unless the animal has tested negative for CWD.

Wild one
06-04-2019, 03:04 PM
It’s only a matter of time and without a cure there is no stopping the spread

walks with deer
06-09-2019, 01:31 PM
wow whitetails migrate from bc into.montana in thta corner

One Shot
06-11-2019, 07:21 PM
Cait,

Thank you for the update. I was in attendance at the AGM for your excellent presentation on CWD.

Frank grimes
06-11-2019, 08:09 PM
I would be surprised if prion diseases weren’t already here. I’m sure animals have died in the wild from this. As well as untested animals harvested by hunters. It’s scary either way.

Bugle M In
06-12-2019, 09:30 AM
I would be surprised if prion diseases weren’t already here. I’m sure animals have died in the wild from this. As well as untested animals harvested by hunters. It’s scary either way.

Yup, if it is here or not, it will be soon and it is a scary thing.

Bugle M In
07-12-2019, 09:12 PM
Latest news close to BC Border:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2452639041460309&id=1430646376992919

srupp
07-12-2019, 09:21 PM
Hmmmm last year I harvested a deer in eastern Alberta..I had plenty of time to look the deer over..he walked well, normal.he looked healthy and even on field dressing and later processed it for transport home.
Only many weeks later did I get a phone call that my deer tested positive for CWD.
The deer carcass was confiscated and destroyed.
Had it not been for mandatory testing..I would have processed and consumed this animal..as it looked and acted normal and exibited no signs of CWD.
Thats scary. ...imo
Cheers
Srupp

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
07-12-2019, 11:21 PM
CWD is not liable to be harmful to Humans. It does not appear to be transferable. No need to take my word for it, figure for yourself. I am not worried about it, myself. That said, something of interest to keep appraised of. Hopefully just an old wandering Doe that made it a long ways.

Bugle M In
07-12-2019, 11:35 PM
Well, for now it isn't harmful to humans and might never be.
However, I think there is always the concern (by disease control) that one day something could jump from an animal to human.
So, it's never 100% down the road.

The bad thing right now is what it could do to the deer populations overall if it spread into BC.
As if we didn't need anymore bad mojo in that area.

saskbooknut
07-13-2019, 06:15 AM
Not harmful to humans? British government kept saying BSE wasn't transferred to humans, and look where that ended up.
CWD has been transferred in Macaque monkeys, a good analogue for people.
Much caution is in order.

Ride Red
07-13-2019, 07:19 AM
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6056132/

Iron Glove
07-13-2019, 07:51 AM
Interesting read Red.
I'd agree that we should be concerned.

srupp
07-13-2019, 04:24 PM
Thanks RR..
I dont know anything about CWD..however the biologists in Alberta...and here were extremely concerned..and very detailed and aggressive cleaning procedures were described for cleaning our cutting area, knives etc.
The biologists seemed very concerned....
Srupp

Bugle M In
07-14-2019, 01:51 PM
Thanks RR..
I dont know anything about CWD..however the biologists in Alberta...and here were extremely concerned..and very detailed and aggressive cleaning procedures were described for cleaning our cutting area, knives etc.
The biologists seemed very concerned....
Srupp

Yup, I think the more one gets informed on this, the more worrisome it becomes.
Although there has been some talk about a cure, it seems we are far from it.
I think everybody needs to start thinking about it and get aware.

Ourea
07-15-2019, 11:48 AM
I always like to see people being informed and being aware of wildlife challenges......that's a good thing
I also see these conversations seldom, if ever, talk about solutions that are viable or practical.

Here is a literal dose of reality.....
BC spends next to piss all on it's wildlife or it's protection.
No investment no return.

There are a vast majority of hunters that still cling to the mantra that hunting regulations will make an impact on the big picture in wildlife recovery, which is beyond ignorant.

What about if all hunting was stopped tomorrow..... so we know that hunting and regulations are no longer a factor in wildlife prosperity?
Reality is that it would have little if any impact on the implosion of wildlife in this province and the downward spiral will continue.

Great to analyze it to death though eh!!

Walking Buffalo
07-15-2019, 11:21 PM
Does anyone know what BC's CWD response plan entails if/when the disease is confirmed in the province?

srupp
07-16-2019, 05:29 AM
Does anyone know what BC's CWD response plan entails if/when the disease is confirmed in the province?

Yes..I understand only those that live outside Vancouver and did not vote NDP will be allowed to eat wild game not screened or checked.
Srupp

338win mag
07-16-2019, 05:41 AM
Likely nothing.

Bugle M In
07-16-2019, 10:37 AM

Post #1 in this thread:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?119919-BC-Chronic-Wasting-Disease-Surveillance-Program

She is the person running the show, or should I say "stuck with the problem" so far here in BC.

2chodi
07-16-2019, 02:46 PM
Likely nothing.

Newly released CWD response plan. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/environment/plants-animals-and-ecosystems/wildlife-wildlife-habitat/wildlife-health/wildlife-health-documents/bc_cwd_plan_june2019_approved.pdf

You will see some announcements re the east Kootenays before too long. More freezers are required to handle an increased effort on collecting heads for testing — you can get in touch with Cait or the BCWF office if you can help with securing freezers.

338win mag
07-16-2019, 02:56 PM
Is the BCWF looking for freezers?

2chodi
07-16-2019, 03:01 PM
Is the BCWF looking for freezers?

The BCWF is helping coordinate getting freezers to the east Kootenays. Ten plus will be needed.

Bugle M In
07-16-2019, 03:31 PM
CWD Found West of the Continental Divide in Montana: (more cases showing up so only a matter of time if not already here?):

https://wildlifemanagement.institute/outdoor-news-bulletin/july-2019/cwd-found-west-continental-divide-montana

Walking Buffalo
07-16-2019, 04:05 PM
Newly released CWD response plan. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/environment/plants-animals-and-ecosystems/wildlife-wildlife-habitat/wildlife-health/wildlife-health-documents/bc_cwd_plan_june2019_approved.pdf

You will see some announcements re the east Kootenays before too long. More freezers are required to handle an increased effort on collecting heads for testing — you can get in touch with Cait or the BCWF office if you can help with securing freezers.

Thank you.

One potential control measure that I did not see in the document is a pre-emptive population density reduction in areas adjacent to known CWD endemic areas.

I would suggest considering a unlimited open season on Whitetails from Creston to Alberta starting right now. Don't wait until CWD is identified in the province. At that point, it is too late.

The only management practice that has had an effective result in reducing both the infection and dispersal rate of CWD is to keep populations densities low.
The lower the better if a desire to keep CWD from infecting new populations is truly desired.

Yes, this sucks, but the alternative is worse.

On the bright side, all the wolves will starve. ;)

338win mag
07-16-2019, 04:38 PM
The BCWF is helping coordinate getting freezers to the east Kootenays. Ten plus will be needed.
I have one here they can have, works good...pick up in vernon or in salmon arm if that works. pm me.

RiverOtter
07-16-2019, 04:53 PM
Hmmmm last year I harvested a deer in eastern Alberta..I had plenty of time to look the deer over..he walked well, normal.he looked healthy and even on field dressing and later processed it for transport home.
Only many weeks later did I get a phone call that my deer tested positive for CWD.
The deer carcass was confiscated and destroyed.
Had it not been for mandatory testing..I would have processed and consumed this animal..as it looked and acted normal and exibited no signs of CWD.
Thats scary. ...imo
Cheers
Srupp

Not to derail, but can you please explain this post to me. The way it reads is this....You unknowingly shot, processed, and hauled an infected animal home. Then several weeks later you find out it was infected, so you're thankful that you never processed or consumed any of it.

I personally can't think of a single animal in my whole hunting career that I shot for food and hadn't subsequently started eating shortly after harvest.

Walking Buffalo
07-16-2019, 05:02 PM
Not to derail, but can you please explain this post to me. The way it reads is this....You unknowingly shot, processed, and hauled an infected animal home. Then several weeks later you find out it was infected, so you're thankful that you never processed or consumed any of it.

I personally can't think of a single animal in my whole hunting career that I shot for food and hadn't subsequently started eating shortly after harvest.

Hunting potentially CWD infected animals has added a new element to the process.

Quite simply, you don't eat any of the animal until the testing has been completed and confirms that the animal is CWD free.
This can be quite frustrating when the test results may take months....

In Alberta, hunters are learning to exert the very least effort when preserving their harvest until testing is done.
Putting whole quarters into the freezer.... no point in butchering, making burger and especially sausage until you know the animal is not infected.

srupp
07-16-2019, 07:23 PM
Not to derail, but can you please explain this post to meit The way it reads is this....You unknowingly shot, processed, and hauled an infected animal home. Then several weeks later you find out it was infected, so you're thankful that you never processed or consumed any of it.

Hmmm yes...I was drawn for late trophy mule deer hunt after 7 years priority points.
It was known ? Or assumed these eastern units held higher probibilities of CWD..so It was a requirement to submit part of the brainstem for mandatory testing.no animals brains or spinal column were allowed to be transported back to BC.
So the animal was cut up, bagged in 4mm vacutainer bags, and clearly marked.
We then waited for the brain biopsy report .it was positive..and animal was picked up from our residence within 24 hrs of notification.
One other gentleman from this site was 75 miles away his deer tested positive for CWD ALSO.
Srupp

2chodi
07-16-2019, 08:53 PM
I believe that the BC government knows of about 10 cases like yours from 2018 — likely some that weren’t picked up by the system as well.

Hmmm yes...I was drawn for late trophy mule deer hunt after 7 years priority points.
It was known ? Or assumed these eastern units held higher probibilities of CWD..so It was a requirement to submit part of the brainstem for mandatory testing.no animals brains or spinal column were allowed to be transported back to BC.
So the animal was cut up, bagged in 4mm vacutainer bags, and clearly marked.
We then waited for the brain biopsy report .it was positive..and animal was picked up from our residence within 24 hrs of notification.
One other gentleman from this site was 75 miles away his deer tested positive for CWD ALSO.
Srupp

07-21-2019, 05:44 AM
Not harmful to humans? British government kept saying BSE wasn't transferred to humans, and look where that ended up.
CWD has been transferred in Macaque monkeys, a good analogue for people.
Much caution is in order.

Attempt @ constructive criticism, se vouis plais? Lolz

While both four legged's; other than Scientific classifications as "Bovine" that is, Beef Cattle ain't NA Wild Game! Whitetail Deer: Mule Deer, Moose and Elk are WAY different beasts. Monkey WAY different. Further still are two legged Human and any Monkey variety. Drastically so!

Literally so called "Mad Cow Disease" or as you say "BSE" was a spin YET when actual millions + Millions of Hunters resident in jurisdictions wherein they allege every Deer has CWD prevalent and all are eating these animals steady sans infection? I vouch for the latter. Just Saying

Walking Buffalo
07-21-2019, 07:14 AM
Attempt @ constructive criticism, se vouis plais? Lolz

While both four legged's; other than Scientific classifications as "Bovine" that is, Beef Cattle ain't NA Wild Game! Whitetail Deer: Mule Deer, Moose and Elk are WAY different beasts. Monkey WAY different. Further still are two legged Human and any Monkey variety. Drastically so!

Literally so called "Mad Cow Disease" or as you say "BSE" was a spin YET when actual millions + Millions of Hunters resident in jurisdictions wherein they allege every Deer has CWD prevalent and all are eating these animals steady sans infection? I vouch for the latter. Just Saying

If I shoot a CWD positive deer, you are welcome to have it on the promise you'll eat it all.
Just saying....

Rackmastr
07-21-2019, 07:57 AM
I believe that the BC government knows of about 10 cases like yours from 2018 — likely some that weren’t picked up by the system as well.

My wife was another. Met with the BC CO's and put all the meat in their freezer for destruction. I had kept the deer in quarters in the freezer and had ground a bunch of the trim and kept it separate. All was destroyed.

07-23-2019, 08:16 PM
If I shoot a CWD positive deer, you are welcome to have it on the promise you'll eat it all.
Just saying....

Where as CWD non transferable to us, I will take you up on that. Promise of "eat it all" includes all edible portions, not gonna eat general gut pile (I do not include liver, kidney heart and tongue in gutpile) or CNS tissue. Though must say I prefer to kill mine own Deer!

srupp
07-23-2019, 08:29 PM

You are indeed correct..there is a evolving program in Alberta on possible solutions..massive increase to tags..or win one get 2 extra doe tags..extended seasons, culling..however in seeking hunter input they did not think to involve out of Province hunters..I by chance read the survey, completed it and got to chat with professor leading the study survey.
There were ALOTS of positive CWD results surprised them all.
srupp

LBM
07-24-2019, 08:38 PM
Wild sheep foundations last news letter had a article about it, said wolves and cougars may help with the CWD problem.
May be something to think about since some of the states and other proviences with less wolves and cats have a bigger
CWD problem.

Walking Buffalo
08-05-2019, 09:21 PM
Why is this thread in the Mainland BC hunting forum?

Shouldn't it be in the Recipe forum with the other CWD threads?

bownut
08-06-2019, 09:22 PM
Funny how this works, I posted CWD information and how it as on its way to BC and everyone shit kicked me. Now after a long time out, it all of a sudden is a topic of interest.
So good to be back..........

Ourea
08-07-2019, 08:08 AM
Funny how this works, I posted CWD information and how it as on its way to BC and everyone shit kicked me. Now after a long time out, it all of a sudden is a topic of interest.

Uhmmm, more like you have a difficult time making a rational point.

A lot of your focus was on banning baiting as means to stem CWD......this coming from a guy that promotes WINTER FEEDING STATIONS.
It's like an arsonist showing up and lecturing on fire safety.
You took a bit of a beating for a reason.

BRvalley
08-07-2019, 08:52 AM

no, you posted your annual personal rant against baiting...

funny though, Montana already doesn't allow baiting, according to your logic their bait ban should've prevented CWD from spreading...what failed?

saskbooknut
08-07-2019, 09:35 AM
Nothing can stop CWD from spreading, but concentrating deer populations can certainly accelerate the spread of CWD.

Bugle M In
08-07-2019, 09:55 AM

I was hoping to keep people informed (myself included) on what is happening and where.
The fact that right now there isn't a cure for it.
And to not get into a "bashing" over "hunting practices".
Hopefully it stays that way so that many can get informed and "be aware"!
And only that please.

Ourea
08-07-2019, 10:09 AM
You are asking a midget to be tall

Ourea
08-07-2019, 11:41 AM
Nothing can stop CWD from spreading, but concentrating deer populations can certainly accelerate the spread of CWD.

Focus on the minutiae while this goes on.

https://i.imgur.com/OwdZgJu.jpg

Ourea
08-07-2019, 12:20 PM

You bash baiting stating they are pred pits and a key driver for CWD.....which there is zero data to support.
Most states have a ban on baiting where CWD is prevalent......hmmmmm.
Heck of an argument there.

You remind me of David Hogg and Alisa Mayo.
They show up at NRA protests yet sport an armed security force while they preach against guns.
You preach about baiting and it should be abolished WHILE YOU SUPPORT WINTER FEEDING STATIONS.

Wild one
08-07-2019, 12:27 PM
Focus on the minutiae while this goes on.

https://i.imgur.com/OwdZgJu.jpg

I could careless on ethics of baiting and no a bait ban won’t stop the spread. Yes there are many examples of agriculture congregating ungulates but baiting does increase the number of areas ungulates feed in close proximity. I am not one who is going to push for a bait ban but the argument for baiting when CWD is a factor is pretty weak. Baiting may not be a make or break factor in the spread of CWD but it’s definitely not a positive

One thing is for sure if you and bownut put your effort into gaining support for programs/research that were searching for a cure for CWD it would be a hell of a lot more productive than the on going pissing match for and against baiting

Ourea
08-07-2019, 12:50 PM
I could careless on ethics of baiting and no a bait ban won’t stop the spread. Yes there are many examples of agriculture congregating ungulates but baiting does increase the number of areas ungulates feed in close proximity. I am not one who is going to push for a bait ban but the argument for baiting when CWD is a factor is pretty weak. Baiting may not be a make or break factor in the spread of CWD but it’s definitely a positive

One thing is for sure if you and bownut put your effort into gaining support for programs/research that were searching for a cure for CWD it would be a hell of a lot more productive than the on going pissing match for and against baiting

Well, I have talked to numerous parties in wildlife management face to face about the subject ....on what are the barriers, what helps resistance.
With the agricultural practices that draw and concentrate animals from vast areas where they redistribute from is near the top of the list
(kinda like being in an international airport during a flu outbreak)

My understanding is that geographic obstacles and resulting herd isolation is one of the biggest safety nets against CWD transmission.
BC has that in it's favor and why the disease will have a little harder time getting thru the door.

My fear is northern BC.....too much like other farm belts where the disease can thrive.

Wild one
08-07-2019, 01:08 PM
Well, I have talked to numerous parties in wildlife management face to face about the subject ....on what are the barriers, what helps resistance.
With the agricultural practices that draw and concentrate animals from vast areas where they redistribute from is near the top of the list
(kinda like being in an international airport during a flu outbreak)

My understanding is that geographic obstacles and resulting herd isolation is one of the biggest safety nets against CWD transmission.
BC has that in it's favor and why the disease will have a little harder time getting thru the door.

My fear is northern BC.....too much like other farm belts where the disease can thrive.

I would agree but I don’t think BC’s geographic obstacles and herd isolation will do any more than slow the spread of CWD at best. But as we both know just like elk and WT have expanded their range CWD is just as capable of spreading

As for northern BC a lot of areas are actually lower density than southern BC with the exception of the Peace. I don’t see much holding back CWD in most of 8,3,and 4.

Regardless CWD will spread without a cure even if it’s at a slower pace once it reaches BC

Ourea
08-07-2019, 01:16 PM
I would agree but I don’t think BC’s geographic obstacles and herd isolation will do any more than slow the spread of CWD at best. But as we both know just like elk and WT have expanded their range CWD is just as capable of spreading

As for northern BC a lot of areas are actually lower density than southern BC with the exception of the Peace. I don’t see much holding back CWD in most of 8,3,and 4.

Regardless CWD will spread without a cure even if it’s at a slower pace once it reaches BC

So let's regulate!!!!!!!

Wild one
08-07-2019, 01:42 PM
So let's regulate!!!!!!!

Regulations of any kind towards hunting or agricultural could only slow the spread of CWD at best. This could be a worthwhile measure if CWD reaches BC but it only buys time at best. Regulate is clearly not the answer to CWD but can be a tool in slowing the spread well efforts/research into developing a solution can be done.

Personally see no issue in putting in effort to limit the spread of CWD but I am of the mind set efforts into a cure are the only answer

Ourea
08-07-2019, 01:54 PM
Regulations of any kind towards hunting or agricultural could only slow the spread of CWD at best. This could be a worthwhile measure if CWD reaches BC but it only buys time at best. Regulate is clearly not the answer to CWD but can be a tool in slowing the spread well efforts/research into developing a solution can be done.

Personally see no issue in putting in effort to limit the spread of CWD but I am of the mind set efforts into a cure are the only answer

Best overlook harvest and transportation of infected wildlife because they are immune to regulation and accountability.

Wild one
08-07-2019, 02:56 PM
Best overlook harvest and transportation of infected wildlife because they are immune to regulation and accountability.

Transportation of un tested wildlife from areas with CWD into B.C. is another thing that comes with risk and not once did I state it should be ignored. This is probably one of the highest risk ways CWD can spread to BC

This still does not justify the practice of baiting when CWD is a factor. At present time it’s not an issue but once CWD reaches BC I would call the lose of baiting except able as a step in limiting the spread. So at this time bait is not a factor to bother with

If baiting was proven to have benefits to wildlife that out weighed the risk of increasing CWD I may have a different opinion. Presently baiting debate for or against is of little importance as CWD is not present in BC. BC’s focus should be on support on a solution to CWD before it reaches BC but I am not going to except logic

At present with no CWD cases proven in BC I would stand against a bait ban and support those who practice baiting. But when CWD is present limiting the spread of CWD and attempting to protect herd health takes priority over hunters right to bait

Either way 3 weeks left so not my problem hopefully CWD never reaches BC and you can continue to bait without worry of CWD being a factor

bownut
08-07-2019, 03:56 PM
You are asking a midget to be tall

Your the "Keyboard Champ."
What were the names of those Bios that you speak of, maybe I can get the story first hand.

RobU
08-07-2019, 04:16 PM
Not only will the ministry look a baiting plus salting for cervids. They will be taking a good look at any and all winter feeding programs in the province. With the prions actively able to survive and thrive in soils, deliberately congregating deer, moose and elk and allowing them to paw, eat and turn up the ground sharing urine, feces, saliva and blood is definitely a concern regarding transfer of cwd prions.

Ourea
08-07-2019, 05:00 PM
Not only will the ministry look a baiting plus salting for cervids. They will be taking a good look at any and all winter feeding programs in the province. With the prions actively able to survive and thrive in soils, deliberately congregating deer, moose and elk and allowing them to paw, eat and turn up the ground sharing urine, feces, saliva and blood is definitely a concern regarding transfer of cwd prions.

And those darn ranchers that dump hundreds of tonnes of hay and salt out all winter to feed their herds.....that deer and elk take advantage of.
That's different despite it's at an epic scale compared to one salt block or bag of carrots.

The idiocy of these conversations kill me.

Ourea
08-07-2019, 05:06 PM
What were the names of those Bios that you speak of, maybe I can get the story first hand.

SIMPLY GO TALK TO THEM!!!!
Walk into the MOE offices or get them on the phone.
Jesus man, if you lack the credibility or gumption to make that happen ....don't know what to tell you.

Ourea
08-07-2019, 05:20 PM

This comment was about FN transporting game from province to province that do not have to report or be regulated ...which is the number one concern of infection.
Meanwhile, lets get back to carrots ...

Wild one
08-07-2019, 05:23 PM
This comment was about FN transporting game from province to province that do not have to report or be regulated ...which is the number one concern of infection.
Meanwhile, lets get back to carrots ...

Did not think of that issue to be honest

Ourea
08-07-2019, 05:43 PM
Did not think of that issue to be honest

And that's why I struggle with the common sense of these topics.

Side note on how the bigger picture is overlooked.....
The fraser river block that is trying to be addressed, which prevents sensitive salmon stocks from passing........ARE BEING GILL NETTED DOWN RIVER while those crying stewardship are doing the gill netting !!!!

Ourea
08-07-2019, 06:03 PM

You know that there is a directory of wildlife officials in Reg 8 where we both reside in right?
They should be on your speed dial if you are respected or engaged.
Yet you want to doc them
Yikes!

Wild one
08-07-2019, 06:43 PM
And that's why I struggle with the common sense of these topics.

Side note on how the bigger picture is overlooked.....
The fraser river block that is trying to be addressed, which prevents sensitive salmon stocks from passing........ARE BEING GILL NETTED DOWN RIVER while those crying stewardship are doing the gill netting !!!!

I get what you’re saying and the frustration with the FN factor no one can control. I still believe that we should take the steps to put in an effort on our own end. If we are going to say F it and go with the attitude of “well they do this so my impact does not matter” we might as well say screw any form of management. Where do you draw the line?

There is no lack of people who justify poaching with the same mentality and I doubt you would support them

FN issues are one of the reasons I am leaving BC I completely get your frustration but I don’t believe hunters should be complacent on what we do because of it. We know where eachother stands on baiting and the reasons for it. The stance you are taking is not going to change my opinion so I don’t see either of us changing our opinions

You have said it many times that you put wildlife first and that is the stance I am taking when it comes to baiting well CWD is present. It’s nothing to do with FN, ranchers, or my fellow hunter does its just a step that can help slow the spread if it reaches BC. It is just a drop in the bucket of things that effect CWD spreading I know that

Ourea
08-07-2019, 07:20 PM
Too many get caught up in the minutiae and cant see the forest for the trees. This thread is yet another example of the many.

Ourea
08-07-2019, 07:38 PM
I get what you’re saying and the frustration with the FN factor no one can control. I still believe that we should take the steps to put in an effort on our own end. If we are going to say F it and go with the attitude of “well they do this so my impact does not matter” we might as well say screw any form of management. Where do you draw the line?

There is no lack of people who justify poaching with the same mentality and I doubt you would support them

FN issues are one of the reasons I am leaving BC I completely get your frustration but I don’t believe hunters should be complacent on what we do because of it. We know where eachother stands on baiting and the reasons for it. The stance you are taking is not going to change my opinion so I don’t see either of us changing our opinions

You have said it many times that you put wildlife first and that is the stance I am taking when it comes to baiting well CWD is present. It’s nothing to do with FN, ranchers, or my fellow hunter does its just a step that can help slow the spread if it reaches BC. It is just a drop in the bucket of things that effect CWD spreading I know that

I meet with my MLA, I spitball with local game management, I have accepted numerous mentoring rolls to both new to hunting and old. You stated where do you draw the line.....I dont. Far more to this game than bitch about this....regulate that.

Meanwhile, let's talk about carrots and salt blocks...

Wild one
08-07-2019, 08:27 PM
I meet with my MLA, I spitball with local game management, I have accepted numerous mentoring rolls to both new to hunting and old. You stated where do you draw the line.....I dont. Far more to this game than bitch about this....regulate that.

Meanwhile, let's talk about carrots and salt blocks...

None of this is relevant to my post but congrats. Clearly you missed the point but it would not change a thing anyway

Good luck this season

Ourea
08-07-2019, 08:36 PM
^^^^^^^
And luck has nothing to do with success :redface:

Wild one
08-07-2019, 08:40 PM
^^^^^^^
And luck has nothing to do with success :redface:

That we can agree on ;)

Walking Buffalo
08-07-2019, 08:57 PM

I gave you a kick because you made false assertions stating that "I just found out that another big cull will happen in Alberta this year".

Through private messages I learned that you didn't know anything about confirmed changes to Alberta's CWD management plans.... just spreading rumours as "fact".

Credibility destroyed....

Walking Buffalo
08-07-2019, 09:09 PM
If BC wants to take precautions to prevent CWD from entering BC, the actions will have to be severe.

Eliminate ALL importation of potential CWD infectious material, including agricultural products grown in CWD areas.

Create strong barriers to prevent live CWD susceptible ungulates entering the province from known CWD infected areas.
In other words, eliminate all deer, moose, elk and caribou from borders areas next to CWD populations.
This should be happening in SE BC right now.

Reality says that this will never happen. Hunters and non-hunters just won't allow it. Nor will the agricultural business sector.

WHEN CWD crosses the southern border, I suspect that CWD is going to travel faster in BC than we see in areas such as Alberta.
The typical migratory range of BC ungulates is simply much greater than Alberta ungulates.

RobU
08-07-2019, 09:50 PM
We can certainly hope all angles and threats get the attention they deserve. Some of course more severe than others. As this is called hunting bc. Let’s assume hunters can and will accept responsibility for at risk behaviour regarding the spread of cwd once it’s here. Of course some will do nothing. Ourea, you do plenty of good on this site. Please don’t allow your arrogance and superior intellect shine through - the points you are trying to make are shadowed by your little ego. I’ve read lots of your posts, quite sure you can do better. It’s very easy to hide behind a smart phone or keyboard and point out activities more severe to cwd than hunter activities- we get it. Should ALL risky cwd spreading behaviour be discussed or only the high risk activities which don’t affect hunting regs and methods?

Ourea
08-07-2019, 10:56 PM
^^^^^
Ive read your post several times and get more confused every time I read it.
I'm trying to summon a response that might address any of it.

You claim I hide hide behind a keyboard yet I was right on the phone when you PM'd me as I said get on the phone and lets chat !
I hide from nobody.

Rereading your post yet again .........it is unfocused jibberish and innuendos.

You state you have read many of my threads and say I can do better?
I have spent hundreds of hrs and thousands of dollars to share information and knowledge in support of our sport.

Speechless ......

horshur
08-08-2019, 07:45 AM
Speechless ......

We could only hope.

Ourea
08-08-2019, 08:50 AM
We could only hope.

Should I pull down all my threads that are designed to help folks and support our sport!?

HighCountryBC
08-08-2019, 08:56 AM
Should I pull down all my threads that are designed to help folks and support our sport!?

That would be a sad day for HBC. Losing the best content on here would be the nail in the coffin for whatever is left of this site.

Bugle M In
08-08-2019, 12:39 PM
Well, here we go.
We have to go in the direction of members actions and stances etc.
Next is for the thread to be "locked".
Again, it was just a way to show BC hunters how close CWD is to our borders.
If not here already, and to be aware and keep an eye out.
I wont bother setting up another cwd thread once this is locked.

Ourea
08-08-2019, 12:54 PM
Many have realized the last place to get accurate information or insightful dialogue is HBC.

Hunters want hunting content, stories, pictures, videos, knowledge being shared, how to support and grow our sport.
Most that were giving hunters what they want on this site have left for obvious reasons.
Think about that.

horshur
08-08-2019, 01:25 PM
Still waiting for the speachless thing

Bugle M In
08-08-2019, 01:38 PM
Other threads with the trial cams I have enjoyed a lot.
Has given me some insight on just how our deer move and work and why it can be hard to harvest a buck of trophy proportions etc.
So I appreciate members taking "their time" to share.

As far a CWD and its spread.
I get what some are concerned about as well.
We are starting to see urine products being banned etc due to where these products come from and if they might be coming from areas that have
cwd already.

To me, in the end, if cwd comes here (which it most certainly will, imo), I don't think anything is going to stop it's spread.
Maybe only its rate of infection depending on location and interactions etc.

The real issue is to be aware.
We don't want to be the first folks to see it spread from deer to human, which is always a risk.
Also, we have no cure, so we need to know how to check and dispose of infected game properly.
nd we can put pressure on the current government of the day to put some funding forth to have it researched and see if we can find a cure.

08-08-2019, 02:25 PM

Go away Horshat......please be speechless. join your friend Dina. Ourea and many others contribute HUGE to this site. Unlike yourself.

Thanks for Ourea all your help and insite to many on HBC.

Ourea
08-08-2019, 02:49 PM
Other threads with the trial cams I have enjoyed a lot.
Has given me some insight on just how our deer move and work and why it can be hard to harvest a buck of trophy proportions etc.
So I appreciate members taking "their time" to share.

As far a CWD and its spread.
I get what some are concerned about as well.
We are starting to see urine products being banned etc due to where these products come from and if they might be coming from areas that have
cwd already.

To me, in the end, if cwd comes here (which it most certainly will, imo), I don't think anything is going to stop it's spread.
Maybe only its rate of infection depending on location and interactions etc.

The real issue is to be aware.
We don't want to be the first folks to see it spread from deer to human, which is always a risk.
Also, we have no cure, so we need to know how to check and dispose of infected game properly.
nd we can put pressure on the current government of the day to put some funding forth to have it researched and see if we can find a cure.

We spend next to nothing on wildlife despite it's negative spiral downwards in this province....that is not going to change any time soon unfortunately. Many US states have thrown a lot of money and resources at CWD with no real results. They will always be way ahead of us in wildlife investment. BC is not a leader in wildlife investment, sadly we are one of the worst in reality.

bownut
08-08-2019, 04:01 PM
I gave you a kick because you made false assertions stating that "I just found out that another big cull will happen in Alberta this year".

Through private messages I learned that you didn't know anything about confirmed changes to Alberta's CWD management plans.... just spreading rumours as "fact".

Credibility destroyed....

OK then.
I was informed at a wildlife meeting about some changes and thought you could look into it for me. Now I can rest knowing that we are in good shape.
Thanks again for all the wisdom I have gained on this site.
Cheers!

Bugle M In
08-08-2019, 04:07 PM
[/B]
We spend next to nothing on wildlife despite it's negative spiral downwards in this province....that is not going to change any time soon unfortunately. Many US states have thrown a lot of money and resources at CWD with no real results. They will always be way ahead of us in wildlife investment. BC is not a leader in wildlife investment, sadly we are one of the worst in reality.
I fully understand and agree^^^^
Unfortunate when we have such a great "research facility/arena" in UBC.
They have come up with many new "findings" and new ways to treat stuff.
They definetly should be used.

But, yes, without money, nothing is going to get done.
I think this thread show, "beneath it all, under the surface" to the real issue.
We all as hunters are getting "frustrated" as to our wildlife situation and the hunting oppurunties. or lack of, due to how bad it has become.
And worse than that, it is only going to get "Worse"!

IT's become a dog eat dog environment, and it shows here on HBC as to the fight we are in.
Everyone is upset, worried, and have no other outlet but to point fingers at the person next to them.
Sad part is, everyone is "bitching sideways"!!!
Not UP!!!
The guy next to us cant fix it on their own.
All we can do is "unite".
Come up with suggestions and then push to have them implemented.
Then bark up the "right tree".
HBC is a place to share ideas and experiences, past and future.

We can get on board and start pushing back.
Lots of good ideas over the years.
We just now need to get organized and push our leaders to get involved and do the "right thing/s".

bownut
08-08-2019, 04:11 PM
You know that there is a directory of wildlife officials in Reg 8 where we both reside in right?
Yet you want to doc them
Yikes!

I had a few good meetings with our Bios this year and have left with a empty feeling every time. Craig and Andrew are doing what they can with what they have, and
I'm sorry that they are left picking up the pieces.
Respect isn't the issue here.

Ourea
08-08-2019, 05:13 PM
I am sure they would prefer their names were not dropped.

horshur
08-08-2019, 06:44 PM
Yes cause you can't go on the gov website and find out who the bios are in Penticton...

Ourea
08-08-2019, 07:06 PM
Yes cause you can't go on the gov website and find out who the bios are in Penticton...

"You know that there is a directory of wildlife officials in Reg 8 where we both reside in right?
Yet you want to doc them
Yikes!"

That was my earlier post Horshur.
Many that are in public service hate when their names are dropped.
Many refer to it as doxing.

Wish to thank you once again for your valuable contributions to HBC

horshur
08-08-2019, 07:32 PM
You have been name dropping for years..for christ sake..what does it mean to have your bios on speed dial? Living in penticton? That you hunted with one? Your doxing them by association. No shitting . .pot and kettle.

horshur
08-08-2019, 07:39 PM
And they are public officials..which means they are public...ffs

horshur
08-08-2019, 07:40 PM
Guess who I bought a trail cam from? Ffs

Ourea
08-08-2019, 07:41 PM
You have been name dropping for years..for christ sake..what does it mean to have your bios on speed dial? Living in penticton? That you hunted with one? Your doxing them by association. No shitting . .pot and kettle.

I sense a grumpy old fella ^^^^
Keep up the good work

horshur
08-08-2019, 08:03 PM
I sense a grumpy old fella ^^^^
Keep up the good work

So how old are you? Older the me...

Ourea
08-08-2019, 08:10 PM
So how old are you? Older the me...

Im 54
I retired 6 yrs ago
Whats your point

You come across as cranky

horshur
08-08-2019, 08:12 PM
If you got to name drop..what does that say about you???bio,speed dial...roladex..sorry cnhm

HighCountryBC
08-08-2019, 08:40 PM

And yet another thread goes completely sideways because of egos. Horshur, you contribute nothing to this site other than crowing from the sidelines like an annoying rooster. Seems to run in the family. Give it a rest and keep the focus on the thread topic.

horshur
08-08-2019, 09:09 PM
And yet another thread goes completely sideways because of egos. Horshur, you contribute nothing to this site other than crowing from the sidelines like an annoying rooster. Seems to run in the family. Give it a rest and keep the focus on the thread topic.
Your kidding right?....

Ourea
08-08-2019, 09:49 PM
If you got to name drop..what does that say about you???bio,speed dial...roladex..sorry cnhm

Sorry I'm proud of the relationships I have built, seldom if ever I drop a name.

Keep complaining, keep undermining, keep doing nothing but snipe, keep killing HBC

CWD ..........

HighCountryBC
08-09-2019, 07:29 AM
Your kidding right?....

Focus is, or was on CWD but you can't help but take shots at Ourea from the cheap seats. He keeps providing accurate info but all you seem to want to do is derail.

Walking Buffalo
08-09-2019, 10:40 AM
OK then.
I was informed at a wildlife meeting about some changes and thought you could look into it for me. Now I can rest knowing that we are in good shape.
Thanks again for all the wisdom I have gained on this site.
Cheers!

You have a hard time telling the truth.
I still have the messages between us.

You knew nothing factual about a "big cull", yet started a thread claiming so.
I questioned you, learned that you were full of it, and called you out.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?150362-CWD-Update&highlight=cull (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?150362-CWD-Update&highlight=cull)

Why would you think I would "look into it"for you?
You never asked, and I never offered.

You have made a name for yourself in Alberta wildlife management circles.
One of a person that can't be trusted.

Bugle M In
08-09-2019, 12:31 PM
Look, this was a CWD thread, and want it to stay that way!
To keep people informed and if other members get any more info to post up so us hunters in BC are aware!...period!

I am fine with a thread on To bait or not to and cams and winter feeding programs.
Nothing wrong with a debate.
Issue is the loss of RESPECT members start to have on certain issues.
I don't agree with the Mods "locking the thread", but I understand it is easier to do then send out a bunch of pm's informing folks of their actions etc.
Which in the end is what happens "Locked Threads".
And worse, the lack of Respect grows!

What amazes me more, is that at a time like this, where the FN have done a good job of uniting and taking advantage of todays political climate,
and getting a lot of things settle to their advantage "permanently" that will affect us non FN outdoors folks forever going forward.
Anti's who have also taken advantage of todays political climate and got the G Bear hunt shut down and focused on who knows what species to be next,
like Goat or Sheep to be placed on the no hunt list.
A Ministry That Lacks any direction or "support" to correct the issue as to Preds and Wildlife Habitat etc and watching our hunting experience go down
the toilet because ungulate numbers are in the tank and still declining further.
Now the risk of CWD also in the shadows.

And we sit here bitching and barking and blaming each other.
Like a bunch of dogs fighting over a few "table scraps"!!!

You folks do realize that eventually the "table scraps RUN OUT"!!!!
Then what?
Who do you blame then???
Will it matter???

Totally F'n useless this site has become.
Sad part is FB hunting sites are just folks posting pics and yes, a few Societies posting up important info but outside of that, just a bunch of chest beating.
That is what makes/made this site different.
Total lack of respect for the site and for others if you ask me guys.
And worse, totally useless to get our hunting back to a place where we can enjoy it, which I will guarantee will stop all the finger pointing at each other.
I give up.
Doubt with this stuff it will ever get better.
I feel sorry for the future generations that we weren't a "smart enough" (or didn't "smarten up") to start to get Wildlife and the lifestyle of hunting
back on track for them.

What will they be able to achieve once it is all gone and all rights taken away.
Doubt they will be able to do anything at that point.
And we were to blame for that starting to happen.

Ourea
08-09-2019, 01:12 PM
Bugle, you say we need to do this and that.
People are either leaders or complainers.
There are folks that are doing what they can to support and make a difference be it today or yesterday.

Cut and pasting readily available information won't make much difference.
Hope you get my point and intend no disrespect.

Ourea
08-09-2019, 01:24 PM
Focus is, or was on CWD but you can't help but take shots at Ourea from the cheap seats. He keeps providing accurate info but all you seem to want to do is derail.

Folks like Horshur, their only default is to snipe, complain, attack.
His brother Dana, a once respected member of HBC, has been banned from every hunting site he has joined because he assaults anyone that disagrees with his self perceived superiority.

Bugle M In
08-09-2019, 01:29 PM
No disrespect taken.
I understand the frustration.
This should be a site where we tell stories and share info etc, especially for newbs who want to get into hunting.

Like I have said.
I enjoy the thread on your WT experiences.
That's your personal time that you put a lot of time and effort into and like I have said, many would never take the time or want to share that info
to the rest of us.
So I appreciate it.

As for CWD, it is scary to think it is getting close to BC and lets face it, only a matter of time.
Can baiting sites congregate game and if a infected animal is in the mix, help spread the disease quicker, sure it can.
But agree, there are winter feeding programs as well that in my opinion, have way more animals congregating in large numbers that could make
transmission even worse.

But the truth is, diseases like this, without a cure will happen regardless of what we do to prevent it.
Yes, we can take steps to make sure element such as urine products etc from elsewhere, where the disease already exist and stop it's sale in BC.
But again, there will be some who smuggle it in.

As for how we hunt or what we hunt, and that whole debate, to me is BS.
As far as I am concerned, if BC Wildlife was in good shape, with plenty of game to go around, no one would bitch about the guy beside him.

But we are not in good shape, and thus finger pointing is the norm.

I just want folks to recognize that some things are beyond our control.
But we have let some things, like wildlife management, which should have been in our control, slip out of our hands, and we have lost "total control".

That's the shame and lack of organization we as hunters are stuck in now, and to a large degree, it's our own fault.
Each everyone one of us, regardless of what side of the fence we sit on depending on what issue is at the fore front.
CWD is one of those things we cant control right now.
Only be aware of.

Ourea
08-09-2019, 01:30 PM
CWD......
When you talk to wildlife officials their biggest concern is the transportation of infected wildlife.
Segments of the outdoor community have, and will continue, to transport infected wildlife with impunity.
I respect their rights.
I do not respect their negative impact justified by said rights that have a negative impact on wildlife

Ambush
08-09-2019, 02:20 PM
I don't bother to post here anymore simply because ego's and wild imaginations run all over facts and reason. Just check out the "Dease Teens" thread. WOW!!

But for the guys like bownut who pedal uninformed BS and mostly for those that may believe it, do some real research. Don't just read sensationalized headlines and "sky is falling" rhetoric. CWD was first discovered and maybe originated in Colorado over FIFTY years ago. Deer there have not been wiped out and few hunters even pay attention anymore.

CWD has been found elsewhere in the last few years because they only started testing in these places the last few years. Before testing it "didn't exist" there. Oh and some of those states and counties didn't then and don't now allow baiting.

The anti hunting orgs have seized onto the CWD bandwagon to help shut down "sport" hunting. Can't eat the meat, so it's simply killing for fun.

If the prions live in the ground and plants "forever" how does it help to wipe out a herd when they will simply repopulate and start the cycle again. Or do we just kill all ungulates to save them from themselves.

By having mass culls of deer in suspected areas you may well be killing off deer that have survived CWD and are developing resistance to the disease (which can be passed down), as in a "natural cure". It's often nature's way of righting an imbalance.

People are always in a hurry to ban something, anything that they don't or can't do themselves. It's the "If it saves just one life" excuse.

I won't be responding to defend my points, so don't bother calling me out, just go do some real fact finding or just wait for those that do to inform you.

PS: reading a lot of the posts on HBC has become more like standing at the grocery counter and reading the headlines from the trash mags. Some way out there crap being passed off as deeper thinking.

Ourea
08-09-2019, 02:37 PM
^^^^^^^^^^

Bugle M In
08-09-2019, 02:38 PM
^^^^All good point, imo.

Truth is with baiting plots is, one just has to look at Alberta.
It is one big feed plot.
Go there over the winter and in one field alone you can see over 50 WT and 20 MD feeding together.
So really. what does it matter.
Do we think we are going to ban Agriculture???
And yes, what good is a cull if deer will just get it again, being in the soil.

What Ourea does show is how useless may of the discussions are.
Truth is, "we have no money" for so many issues plaguing our wildlie, the habitat and the future of hunting.
I see so many discussions on we should do this or be doing that.
Question still stands..."with what"!!!????

First step is funding.
Without it how can anything of benefit be implemented properly.
Every game club and society and outdoorsman need to get that to the forefront and to be the "only objective" to pursue first with the government.
If we can get that and 100% of it put into Enhancement etc projects, then it might be of some worth to debate over what should or shouldn't be done.

But I agree, much of what is discussed is just bar room banter.
Anyways, I am out to, unless someone takes a poke at me...lol!

Deaddog
08-09-2019, 10:34 PM
Folks like Horshur, their only default is to snipe, complain, attack.
His brother Dana, a once respected member of HBC, has been banned from every hunting site he has joined because he assaults anyone that disagrees with his self perceived superiority.

Pot calling the kettle black, you want might to look at your own over reactions when someone disagrees with you.

saskbooknut
08-10-2019, 06:06 AM
Good point on the lack of funding for CWD monitoring and research. Saskatchewan has funding for monitoring CWD spread, amounting to a very small fraction of the number of deer harvested.

The CWD test is not a food safety test, since it cannot ensure the animal is not in the early stages of infection, not yet detectable. You will find this information on the Health Canada site.
Even if you accept that the test is as good as it gets, few take advantage of the free testing offered. If more people did take advantage of testing, the lab capacity would soon be overwhelmed.

Given that CWD is widespread in Saskatchewan, we are inadvertently doing a huge public health experiment by having many tens of thousands of untested deer consumed by people.

Lack of funding makes it clear that, with the current research on the potential for transmissibility of CWD, Provincial and Federal governments do not yet take the emergence of CWD seriously.

Walking Buffalo
08-10-2019, 08:43 AM
No need to be alarmed Bugle, side discussions with a bit of heat are essential marketing ploys.
Since I bumped up your thread, viewer count has tripled.
That's a good thing.
If it gets locked, a new one can be started. That's really not a big or even a little deal.

Or, as I queried, the thread will be moved to the Recipe or Gear forum, like Mods are doing with other heated threads.

Walking Buffalo
08-10-2019, 08:50 AM
I don't bother to post here anymore simply because ego's and wild imaginations run all over facts and reason.

Just check out the "Dease Teens" thread. WOW!!

But for the guys like bownut who pedal uninformed BS and mostly for those that may believe it, do some real research. Don't just read sensationalized headlines and "sky is falling" rhetoric. CWD was first discovered and maybe originated in Colorado over FIFTY years ago. Deer there have not been wiped out and few hunters even pay attention anymore.

CWD has been found elsewhere in the last few years because they only started testing in these places the last few years. Before testing it "didn't exist" there. Oh and some of those states and counties didn't then and don't now allow baiting.

The anti hunting orgs have seized onto the CWD bandwagon to help shut down "sport" hunting. Can't eat the meat, so it's simply killing for fun.

If the prions live in the ground and plants "forever" how does it help to wipe out a herd when they will simply repopulate and start the cycle again. Or do we just kill all ungulates to save them from themselves.

By having mass culls of deer in suspected areas you may well be killing off deer that have survived CWD and are developing resistance to the disease (which can be passed down), as in a "natural cure". It's often nature's way of righting an imbalance.

People are always in a hurry to ban something, anything that they don't or can't do themselves. It's the "If it saves just one life" excuse.

I won't be responding to defend my points, so don't bother calling me out, just go do some real fact finding or just wait for those that do to inform you.

PS: reading a lot of the posts on HBC has become more like standing at the grocery counter and reading the headlines from the trash mags. Some way out there crap being passed off as deeper thinking.

:mrgreen:

You were obviously speaking about yourself.

Love your posts elsewhere. I must admit this post took me by surprise, never took you for one to spread so much manure.

Bugle M In
08-10-2019, 02:33 PM
No need to be alarmed Bugle, side discussions with a bit of heat are essential marketing ploys.
Since I bumped up your thread, viewer count has tripled.
That's a good thing.
If it gets locked, a new one can be started. That's really not a big or even a little deal.

Or, as I queried, the thread will be moved to the Recipe or Gear forum, like Mods are doing with other heated threads.

Not alarmed or worried.
Just disappointed that the topic of "where CWD" is being spotted etc becomes a topic of to bait or not to bait (make it a different thread).
I get it is easy to go "sideways" on threads, guilty of it myself I suppose at times.

To me, just makes coming here etc seem "Counter Productive" or even "informative" for that matter.
I can see why so many have left HBC.
Some being gone was good, but many I enjoyed on here.
Some had good points but "can never just play nice" I suppose.
Finger pointing never ended up being useful in the end, especially if it is directed "sideways" in the "chain of command".

Was apart of a Company who had a lot of potential (just like BC could with it's wildlife and hunting opportunities).
Boss didn't understand the workers and only saw one way to make money.
Foreman were shareholders who only saw cutting corners as a way to "scoop more profits" in their pockets.
Workers asked to do impossible things and the foremans didn't care because it cost money.
Boss didn't want to hear it and to take it up with foremans etc, so round and round we went. (just like now in BC)
And, in the end all the workers could do to vent was take jabs at other workers or only "look out after themselves" (sounds familiar).
Pretty "Universal" as to what happens when the system is FUBAR.
Needles to say, a company that had so much potential and possibilities is now "out of business"!!
HMMM...…So I ask.....
Where do you think we are headed??????

Walking Buffalo
08-10-2019, 05:30 PM
Bugle,

Baiting and other aspects of hunting such as FN participation in conservation programs are part and parcel of the CWD discussion.

I don't concern myself with the ethics of baiting, but do consider possible disease transmission from baiting to be worth discussing.

You have successfully accomplished spreading the CWD word with this thread, at an inflated rate thanks to the sidebar debates.

Educating the masses takes a massive amount of exposure.
It's all good.

LBM
08-10-2019, 05:50 PM
Pot calling the kettle black, you want might to look at your own over reactions when someone disagrees with you.
To bad you edited your post it explained things better when you first wrote it. He is not the only one that does the same thing that he attacks others for doing,
but and a couple of his followers are the worst.

Bugle M In
08-11-2019, 11:29 AM
Bugle,

Baiting and other aspects of hunting such as FN participation in conservation programs are part and parcel of the CWD discussion.

I don't concern myself with the ethics of baiting, but do consider possible disease transmission from baiting to be worth discussing.

You have successfully accomplished spreading the CWD word with this thread, at an inflated rate thanks to the sidebar debates.

Educating the masses takes a massive amount of exposure.
It's all good.
Yup, Debate and Incidences definitely "Create Exposure".
Only have to look at the States and mass shootings and the gun control debate to see how it stays in the "spotlight".
But we all know hgow threads "get locked" and thus fall out of site and iscussion.
Egrre debate is good so if food plots and should or should not be discussion wants to happen, it should.
Just on a separate thread, imo.
Then it's up to those folks to debate and "keep it civil".
This was just to show folks "how close it is being reported", imo.

As for food plots (since we are in this circle of discussion), agree they could be a form of helping spread transmission.
But so are winter feeding programs and farmland in the winter.
I can also say this "there are many Natural Winter Areas" where tons of game congregate annually.
I know of an area where hundreds of MD would hang in during the winter and finds dozens upon dozens of sheds.
Again, a "Natural Area", not human induced, and just as much a way to spread it.

Even in Alberta, from my understanding they have considered this, but with "mixed results".
I think even the leading Bios of MD think banning plots is a waste of time!

I think the Food Plot Debate is more about being pissed off that some are changing the games "Patterns" while they are out hunting and don't have
plots.
I think CWD is a "Veil" that they use to hide the true issue they have with Food Plots.

This could be a 10 page debate and reasons why or why not, imo.
Truth is, you can ban plots from public lands etc, but there are many farm fileds out there on private land that can be used a food plots.
Alberta comes to mind, but we have that in BC also.
Then it comes down to "what you own" or "who you know".
Keeping legal food plots allows "everybody" to have a chance to experience the same kind of hunt.

For me, I don't hunt that way and probably never will.
Not because I am against it, but because I don't live close to an area where I could be in there every week with feed.
Nor do I have the income to do so if I was around an area.
If did, who knows, maybe I would hunt using food plots???

Still "not going to stop CWD spreading".
Sooner or later, Deer have to F**k.
And F'ing leads to all sorts of transmissions, imo!!
There, I have said my 2 bits.

So, any new reports of CWD?????

.264winmag
09-17-2019, 09:10 PM
https://youtu.be/0anFMmDK2qo

Bugle M In
09-18-2019, 09:46 AM
https://youtu.be/0anFMmDK2qo

Nugent makes some good points there.
Really, the best we can do is find a cure.
Anything else will fall short.