PDA

View Full Version : Is my first hunt ruined? HELP

LegerSmash
06-01-2019, 10:07 PM
So, I was planning my first daytrip for spring blackbear ... I did my research, got all my maps... crossed referenced the regs got a bunch of new gear and made myself as prepares as im going to be and I was ready to go. Then my wife decided to invite herself despite the fact that shes got no licence and wont be hunting (she's just clingy) so I said ok fine.

Well its 5hrs till im ready to leave, now she decided, "we have to bring the dog, (5 month old pitty pup) I don't want to leave her alone all day".

At this point I'm thinking to myself... doesn't that count as baiting?
(& that's beside the fact that my trip has prolly no chance of success with a hyper puppy around)

Should I just bail or cancel the trip? Can I even legally have the dog there? Any insights?

decker9
06-01-2019, 10:18 PM
I’d be taking the pup. No better training getting your pup use to animals then stalking bears (and any other critters). By law I believe dogs need to be on leash maybe? But even if so, don’t let taking a dog detour you, a well trained dog makes an amazing hunting companion. If you stalk in for a kill, have your gf keep your pup on leash is it turns out to be a handful.

Good luck!

Rayne
06-01-2019, 10:20 PM
Go hunt. Your not baiting. Make sure to get up high and glass. And if you spot a bear leave the wife and pup in the vehicle and make your stalk. Don’t need to have the pup chase it and maybe disappear

LegerSmash
06-01-2019, 10:25 PM
Really appreciate the advice. I guess my overthinking is my worst enemy. Its more of a "i dont want em getting hurt, not do I want to explain myself in court to a judge" type of scenario.

cameron0518
06-01-2019, 10:29 PM
Lmao! One of the funniest posts that I have read on here. But to answer your question, you can totally bring your dog. I am no expert on the rules for dogs but I believe they must be leashed if they are out of the truck. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. I, personally, wouldn't bring a hyper dog on any hunt though. As for your wife wanting to go, nothing wrong with that. It is better to have a wife interested in what you are doing than one that doesn't and decides to wander while your out all the time with the "bro's." Go out, enjoy the family and relax. It isn't hunting sketchy animals like deer, elk or moose. Just my 2 cents for you.

IslandWanderer
06-01-2019, 10:30 PM
All good- cruise roads and glass hillsides.

LegerSmash
06-01-2019, 10:55 PM
Its not what you think, been together for over 25 years and have 4 kids together. Its not that she's taking an interest, she just wants to supervise.
That or I really have turned into Al Bundy, just with a better job. Maybe Ill sport the "No-Mamm" shirt.

walks with deer
06-02-2019, 12:14 AM
sounds like your wife wants some time out...with you..

should be a good day dont forget to stop at the dollar store on your way out of town..

5HORTY
06-02-2019, 12:15 AM
Get out, have fun! Good luck!

boxhitch
06-02-2019, 06:08 AM
Don't worry, the dog won't be considered bait
Depending on the LEOs p.o.v. though, the wife may be
especially if you are feeding her pbj's and koolaid out in a cutblock

fudge
06-02-2019, 07:36 AM
I always have my dog at my side... He has done fly in hunts and day hunts. To me it's not the same with out him there..

Foxton Gundogs
06-02-2019, 08:00 AM
Think of it as a training experience for you the wife and the dog. All my dogs can and do accompany me on hunts, not all at one lol, and once they learned the ropes and what's expected of them they have also spotted bear and deer for me, no instead of barking they just whine quietly. Nice to have a buddy to hunt with yet still be "alone"

guntech
06-02-2019, 03:58 PM
To be safe it's best to leash both your wife and dog...

IslandWanderer
06-02-2019, 05:39 PM
Please let us know how your trip went when you have time.

Wild one
06-02-2019, 05:48 PM
Best thing about taking the wife hunting is even if it’s slow I always seem to get lucky

Keta1969
06-02-2019, 05:52 PM
Has your dog been around when you are shooting your rifle? Is it used to gunshots? You can ruin what you hope will be a good hunting companion with one shot. Thats about the same age as I took my dog out on a deer hunt on a leash not really expecting to see anything. Ran into a nice 3 point and between my excitement and 2 shots he has hated guns since.

nature girl
06-02-2019, 06:17 PM
Hey if your wife wants to come along. Good for you. She could be down the road your future hunting partner. The best partner to have hunting I must say myself. And its best to get the pup along to get used to sounds and smells of the forest. Don't over think things just go out and have a great time. Its all a learning experience for sure.

bigredchev
06-02-2019, 07:05 PM
A black bear walked put a few minutes before 9am at the mission rifle range today

Bears are everywhere now. Hunt hard and have fun

hawk-i
06-02-2019, 07:11 PM
Tell her she can't come unless she is willing to hunt! :) And then go out and buy her a rifle that you've always wanted....enjoy.

Fella
06-02-2019, 07:40 PM
Has your dog been around when you are shooting your rifle? Is it used to gunshots? You can ruin what you hope will be a good hunting companion with one shot. Thats about the same age as I took my dog out on a deer hunt on a leash not really expecting to see anything. Ran into a nice 3 point and between my excitement and 2 shots he has hated guns since.
Yep, shot at a rabbit with my .22 and my dog now runs every time I pick up a rifle

HarryToolips
06-02-2019, 09:25 PM
I’d be taking the pup. No better training getting your pup use to animals then stalking bears (and any other critters). By law I believe dogs need to be on leash maybe? But even if so, don’t let taking a dog detour you, a well trained dog makes an amazing hunting companion. If you stalk in for a kill, have your gf keep your pup on leash is it turns out to be a handful.

Good luck!
I believe dogs only have to be on a leash when hunting ungulates...

BRrooster
06-06-2019, 05:11 PM
Used to bring my dog along once in a while , did all my shooting with him in the truck with the windows closed. He still wanted to go with me but when I was hunting he stayed home. Shot a bear once and took him with me to find it ........lost him , called an called .......and he was back at the truck waiting for me when I got back.........where you been ? did you find your bear ? I saw him ......he was a nice one . I didn't find the bear.
As for the Wife. We went out a few times . And when I got back from a preamble , she told me that I was gone too long and she had to pee, and something was breathing behind her in the woods and all she wants to know now is where I am going and when i'll be back and have fun.
works for me.

06-06-2019, 05:42 PM
There are no laws you will break.. the dog is not legally required to be leashed but if your hiking i would. He might run at the bear and spook it..

I cruze with my wife and dog all the time, be glad she wants to go with you.. maybe one day she will arm up and want to hunt too...

Squamch
06-06-2019, 05:55 PM
No advice on the wife, but my pit Trigger spent a lot of time out hunting with me. Spring bear is a good one for them, short haired dogs don't love cold rainy days.
To get him settled about guns, I got a buddy to go 50' away and shoot a .22, then worked his way up to us, while we acted relaxed and didn't make a big deal of it.
Then he worked his way up to us with an SKS.
Then a 12 gauge.

Trig didn't like the noise, but he didn't run away. One or two shots was no big deal to him, and he understood that a single shot or two usually meant he got treats...venison kidneys, grouse hearts and livers, etc. Worth it for him. He only didn't like getting out of the truck at the shotgun range, I think the amount of noise was overwhelming.

LegerSmash
06-07-2019, 06:02 PM
So you wanna know how it went? (*sigh) Lol, ok here it goes in a nutshell....

We spent the night befor we left packing for the hunt. We got everything we figured we needed together. She even went out and bought a topi book the same day. So ok, were ready as we're gonna be.

About 3am we woke up and 4am we got the dog into the car and headed for a drivethru breakfast on the way out. We arrived at the base of the forest road and found a good place to park then began to head up the mountain.

20 mins in, I hear "you stupid f'n dog, wtf is your problem?"
I turned around and the dog wasnt doing anything wrong just a bit exited and walking ahead of her by about a foot. I just rolled my eyes and said "chill out, she's a pup" and continued ahead.

50 mins in: she began to complain and pout. "This is stupid, this is to hard, why did you even bring me? My back is soar" etc. She then began dragging her feet and kicking rocks over the side of the road.

Keep in mind that at no point was I aloud to venture off the service road and everytime I turned my back I could here her yell and scream at the top of her lungs, "wtf? Why do you wanna go there? Omfg you stupid dog, stop that!" (Insert poor dog yelping)

Eventually I said "just let me take her" and I honestly had no problem walking the pup at any point.

1.5 hours in: So basically theres me walking up the service road with a puppy on a leash, a pack and a rifle... and about 50 meters back is my wife refusing to even try to keep up and yelling at the top of her lungs, "can we go back now? Aren't you done yet? This is stupid. Why did you bring me? I can go up there!"

2.5 hrs in: wife wanted to stop and look at her map book to see where we were along the road. This is dispite the fact I had a fully charged gps and a phone with full signal telling us exactly where we were down to the meter. She, (unable to read a map in the first place), insisted we were somewhere else then she refused to go any further.

So at that point it was time to go. I hated to say it but I just couldn't handle her behavior any longer.

Moral of the story,
Dog = Good hunting partner
Wife = NFW!!! NEVER EEEEVER AGAIN!!!!

Wish I coulda reported back with better news, but this should be, if nothing else, an entertaining read.
Fun fact: along the road I grabbed an orange marker off one of the trees and put it on the pups collar so she could be seen from a distance.

RyoTHC
06-07-2019, 06:26 PM

We spent the night befor we left packing for the hunt. We got everything we figured we needed together. She even went out and bought a topi book the same day. So ok, were ready as we're gonna be.

About 3am we woke up and 4am we got the dog into the car and headed for a drivethru breakfast on the way out. We arrived at the base of the forest road and found a good place to park then began to head up the mountain.

I turned around and the dog wasnt doing anything wrong just a bit exited and walking ahead of her by about a foot. I just rolled my eyes and said "chill out, she's a pup" and continued ahead.

50 mins in: she began to complain and pout. "This is stupid, this is to hard, why did you even bring me? My back is soar" etc. She then began dragging her feet and kicking rocks over the side of the road.

Keep in mind that at no point was I aloud to venture off the service road and everytime I turned my back I could here her yell and scream at the top of her lungs, "wtf? Why do you wanna go there? Omfg you stupid dog, stop that!" (Insert poor dog yelping)

Eventually I said "just let me take her" and I honestly had no problem walking the pup at any point.

1.5 hours in: So basically theres me walking up the service road with a puppy on a leash, a pack and a rifle... and about 50 meters back is my wife refusing to even try to keep up and yelling at the top of her lungs, "can we go back now? Aren't you done yet? This is stupid. Why did you bring me? I can go up there!"

2.5 hrs in: wife wanted to stop and look at her map book to see where we were along the road. This is dispite the fact I had a fully charged gps and a phone with full signal telling us exactly where we were down to the meter. She, (unable to read a map in the first place), insisted we were somewhere else then she refused to go any further.

So at that point it was time to go. I hated to say it but I just couldn't handle her behavior any longer.

Moral of the story,

Wish I coulda reported back with better news, but this should be, if nothing else, an entertaining read.
Fun fact: along the road I grabbed an orange marker off one of the trees and put it on the pups collar so she could be seen from a distance.

Divorce.

Thank me later.

scoutlt1
06-07-2019, 06:40 PM
Sounds like you are married to my ex.....

You'll eventually be glad you didn't cancel the trip.

When the lawyer fees start coming in let me know. I'll give ya $50 bucks for the pooch to help you out. :)

Wild one
06-07-2019, 06:43 PM
At any point in time did you consider the possibility of a “ hunting accident “?

r106
06-07-2019, 06:43 PM
Im not going to say divorce but ( no offence ) she sounds like a pain in the ass lol. There is hope, she now knows she doesnt like it so as long as she doesnt have FOMO your good to go and just not take her again.

My wife has no interest in coming with me but luckily she has no problem with me going solo or with my hunting partner. She likes going for the odd hike though and thats ok with me. Having some time apart is nice once in awhile.

IslandWanderer
06-07-2019, 07:21 PM

Moral of the story,

Wow, she sounds like a real catch!

LegerSmash
06-07-2019, 07:33 PM
Yup.... just yup. 😕

Fella
06-07-2019, 07:42 PM
Well now you’re guaranteed wife free hunting trips

IslandWanderer
06-07-2019, 08:15 PM
Yup.... just yup. 😕

Lol, it's all good dude, I was married once myself- good times.

nature girl
06-08-2019, 07:46 AM
Ah that is to bad your wife couldn't of enjoyed the trip. Maybe that long walk wasn't her thing. Sounds like you should take the dog along next time and tell her to stay home. Its really to bad she didn't enjoy herself.
Shell be sorry down the road if she realizes that hunting will be your passion.
If you do take her again treat her like a child and tell her to be quiet and don't take her on long walks I am talking about your wife not your dog.

RackStar
06-08-2019, 07:51 AM
She’s a keeper

decker9
06-08-2019, 08:50 AM
Man o man lol, well there was only one way to find out I suppose eh?

Great work on getting your pup out!! Keep with it!! And good luck!!

LegerSmash
06-08-2019, 09:25 AM
At any point in time did you consider the possibility of a “ hunting accident “?

Lmao!!!
If there's a next time I'll be sure to tell her the regs have changed and she's required to wear these....

Wild one
06-08-2019, 12:27 PM
Lmao!!!
If there's a next time I'll be sure to tell her the regs have changed and she's required to wear these....
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7432&stc=1

Whipsaw creek during any buck season would be a good place to test out her new hair band lol

MichelD
06-08-2019, 12:49 PM
Too bad. Here's a good news story. Sadly, my wife at 66 (last Wednesday) has a bad back and won't sleep in the "cramper" (canopy) any more.

Sixteen years ago I asked her what she wanted for her 50th birthday June 5. "A bear" she said. So on June 4 we packed up the truck and drove up and over in Indian arm where you could easily drive at the time and camped by the river. Sitting around the campfire after dinner she said "Aren't you going to go get me that bear?"

I said I didn't want to get the bear right then because with the warm weather we'd have to pack up and get it home right away.

"I'll get you the bear in the morning," I promised.

Next morning I woke up with the sun, snuck out of the canopy, jumped on the bicycle, rode down to a spot where a washout had crossed road, walked in, saw the bear, shot him and rode back and got her up. We drove down to the bear, gutted, skinned and quartered it, tossed it in the truck and were back at camp having breakfast at 9:00 am.

She never wanted to come along for the actual hunt but loved to hang around the campfire, read and cook meals when necessary.

caddisguy
06-12-2019, 07:17 PM
Some good advice there MichelD. If she likes camping and doesn't mine being along (though maybe she could bring one of the kids or a friend to yack or play cards with) by a fire while you get to go out and hunt all you want.

Failing that, you can take a page from "Al Bundy" and "Jefferson" ... tell her you're heading out for a business thing or a funeral :)

Guess I'm lucky... wife sleeps in the jeep -15C, has broken her nose, foot and messed up her neck/shoulder tumbling down the mountain and still keeps hobbling hunting while injured, usually same day. And when she can't go (work or other obligations) I go solo and she ends up cleaning the house and does my meal prepping. Yeah I'm bragging :D

cameron0518
06-14-2019, 01:12 AM
Yikes!!! I take it all back! Sometimes you have to go with your gut.

Xbow
09-19-2019, 10:22 PM
Omg to funny.... can't win them all I guess...

wideopenthrottle
09-20-2019, 06:53 AM
doesn't matter if it is your wife, a buddy or a complete stranger, some people just "need" to "inform" others when they're tired, when its raining, cold, or rife with mosquitos, bored or annoyed at nothing.....they are the worst kind of people to go through adversity with!!!!