PDA

View Full Version : Hide tanning

Byson
09-22-2007, 07:50 AM
wondering if anyone knows of a tanner in the lowermain land. I know the taxidermist i used last time sent my bear somewhere and i don't want to take it to him cause im still waiting for my bear from spring of 2006

Pete
09-22-2007, 08:21 AM
Sorry can't help you on a tannery on the lower mainland. However I would caution you on sending ANYTHING to the tannery in Vernon. They are terrible. If you want more details leave a post and I will fill you in with the details. I now send my hides trough to Halford hides in Edmonton or to the tannery in Winnipeg

Steeleco
09-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Contact Mainland Hunter (Ray) here on the site. He's a taxidermist and tanned my bear hide 2 years back. He's away hunting right now but should be back in a couple of weeks.

BCLongshot
09-22-2007, 09:02 AM
Ya the tanning thing is something you have to get very clear on what's going to happen.

I would definately use Ray/Mainland Hunter. ;-)

Stone Sheep Steve
09-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Find a taxidermist down there that sends their stuff to a tannery just out of Detriot Michigan(IIRC it's called Wildlife Studios or Artistic Wildlife Studios?).
They have a much more superior product than anyhthing you've ever seen and their turn around time is no more than 100 days even in their peak seasons.

They use a synthetic process that can be mounted 10 plus years later unlike Lu-tan which can't be mounted much more than 3 years later.
Another plus is they have one tannning process for wet tans or dry tans. You don't have to decide which type of mount you want until the last minute.
If you're just getting it tanned you'll find it much more soft and subtle than any other tanning process.
And with the way our dollar is going, it all that much more appealing!

I should be getting my Beer Belly back within a week and it wasn't shipped until early July.

I'll try to find out which taxis down there ship to Detroit as everything from western Canada is shipped through my taxidermist.

SSS

K-1
09-22-2007, 10:12 AM
If you want to try and do it yourself, look up' Halfordsmailorder.com '. They do tanning, and sell supplies for tanning & butchering.

kgriz
09-22-2007, 12:03 PM
I've had great luck with a place called NorthGate Fur Tannery out of Kamploops. He's done a couple of Griz, 2 lynx, a wolf and a caribou cape for me all at a reasonable price and way faster than usual. I just put my stuff on Greyhound and send it to him and he sends it back the same way.

Gateholio
09-22-2007, 01:02 PM
If you want it mounted, I'd definitly look up Ray.

For tanniing, I've always just gone idrect to North Surrey Tannery

Will
09-22-2007, 07:55 PM
I've had great luck with a place called NorthGate Fur Tannery out of Kamploops.
Yes I've had a few things done right here.......always look good and very Fair Prices too. :cool:

Byson
09-23-2007, 11:15 PM
Thank you guys when i dont know something, just ask and always get pointed in the right direction