PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Sticks - A must have or not

M...grouse
05-27-2019, 09:06 PM
Hey,

What are your thoughts on "shooting sticks" sometimes called "trigger sticks"

My dad has been wanting to get one since last year, but i don't know how convenient they will be. do they get in the way? is it hard too swing your rifle off your shoulder? Are they too cumbersome to carry? Bipod vs single? ....... and tips, review, experiences would be awesome.

Most of the hunting we do is walking. find a nice trail/forest road, park the car and walk for 2 or 3 hours. then find another trail and repeat. Most of the landscape is semi wooded.

Ps: this is what i mean by shooting/trigger stick.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31cE6GTqDVL._SX425_.jpg

RyoTHC
05-27-2019, 09:07 PM
I've eyed that up many times but have never pulled the trigger. Doesn't really seem practical, I don't even bust out my msr hiking poles ever really *shrug*

Fella
05-27-2019, 09:17 PM
Meh, to me it’s just one more thing that will get in the way

srupp
05-27-2019, 09:35 PM
Hmm have the Primos.Jim Shockey edition tripod shooting sticks..like them, use themrecomend them.
Cheers
Srupp

S.W.A.T.
05-27-2019, 09:38 PM
Can they double as a hiking stick?

Mulehahn
05-27-2019, 09:48 PM
I like them. It does double as a nice hiking stick and makes a huge difference on free hand shots. To me, if I don't have time to get the rifle rested on them because the animal is running away I am not a good enough shot to try it without them.

brn2ryd
05-27-2019, 09:49 PM
I have the tall tripod version. I like it but not sure if it’s worth the money.
The tall version is too long, even when not extended it sticks pretty high out of the pack. The shorter version would be too short for me, but would pack better. It’s a bit awkward to use as a walking stick and I wouldn’t recommend it for that. It has been handy if I set up in a spot and need a good shooting platform to get above brush. But you could use hiking poles for the same thing by just wrapping the wrist straps around the poles and get a good bipod rest. It’s definitely not a must have, and it gets left home more often then not. I mostly take it if I’m setting up in the winter for wolves.

In theory, it’s great. It could give you an opportunity to quickly deploy a stable shorting platform. But in reality the cons start to weigh down the pros.

And if if you are thinking you could use it with a spotting scope with the threaded attachment, you can, but you only have the ability to pan. You’ll have to adjust the sticks to move vertical.

Darksith
05-27-2019, 09:51 PM
I have the tripod, they are great if you want a rest and need to shoot standing bc of the brush. Way more solid than a double or mono stick. Heavier though too. I use them a lot when I am pretending to be a guide with my dad. As long as someone is the "trigger stick" guy, he can get them setup for the shooter quickly and easily. If you had to do it yourself, it would take a bit more time to get the legs apart. If it was for a solo hunt I don't generally bring them, I will just shoot free hand, but a guy like my dad needs all the help he can get. But usually if I have to shoot on a solo hunt standing its because the animal is right in front of me, otherwise theres time to find a rest or go prone...

whitlers
05-27-2019, 09:56 PM
Tried one once. Wasn't a fan but I can see where they have their place. There have maybe been two times where they would have come in handy. Otherwise there is usually a tree or your pack to rest your rifle on.

dakoda62
05-28-2019, 06:35 AM
I have used the single, but find it unstable at full extension, not bad if you take a knee or sit. Also good for binocular stabilizers.

Cyrus
05-28-2019, 06:43 AM
I use the bog pod triple and another made by primos. They are extended to where I need to shoot off and I never take a shot at an animal now without them unless it's close. It's a matter of a couple seconds to get set up. When I hunt out of a blind I use the same thing. I just treat it like a hiking stick. The ones I use are light although some primos brands and others are too heavy to walk with imo.

Ride Red
05-28-2019, 06:48 AM
Short of the tripod, I’ve never seen anyone hold steady with a single pole.

caddisguy
05-28-2019, 07:03 AM
I used to carry one everywhere but only ever used it once, fully retracted while prone (for a 70 yard "surgical" shot) where I probably just have shot off my pack anyway. Now I only take one if l'm going to hang out somewhere that might require a longer standing shot.

The one ones we used to use were nice because they would retract down to 8 inches or so, and fit in the side pocket of our packs so they wouldn't get in the way.

Unfortunately they both broke (they were definitely too flimsy for even a casual hiking stick used for very slight balance)

We bought new ones that are still nearly 2 feet when retracted. I can't tell they don't fit in with my gear or typical hunting scenario, so they live in the jeep and are used for the occasional rifle check. I still pack out of the broke ones as it still good for a kneeling or prone shot.

If I hunted places where 300-400 shots were needed (and could actually shoot that far, I'd probably pack one) but for whatever reason it usually goes down at 10-15 yards for me.

Gun Dog
05-28-2019, 07:14 AM
I have a bipod for when I'm sitting. Very handy if I'm using a popup blind and a chair. When I'm walking then kneeling or using a tree as a rest is faster.

Wentrot
05-28-2019, 07:29 AM
I’ve used the one in the photo and a different one. Both didn’t last long, legs jammed up

grantk
05-28-2019, 08:27 AM
They're awesome if you know you're going to be sitting in the same place for a while. Allows you to setup wherever you want and get above the grass, though they are fairly heavy and cumbersome to carry around if hiking. I made a nylon webbing shoulder strap for mine, with a plastic clip to quick release and setup when needed. I've found that the legs bind on mine (Primos) when it is below freezing, which is pretty annoying. Overall I like it, but as someone else said, there's usually something nearby to use as a shooting rest when walking.

two-feet
05-28-2019, 01:09 PM
Love the idea, and have packed one arou d, but hate carrying extra stuff. Can see the value if hunting with a friend and one guy is the shooter, the other is the stick man. Makes sense for setting up and calling moose

todbartell
05-28-2019, 01:16 PM
I have the short tripod and tall tripod Primos sticks. The short one came in handy last fall when my partner used it to make a nice 275 yard shot on his moose. I've practiced with the short tripod out to 500 yards and it makes shot placement much easier

chris
05-28-2019, 01:36 PM
Never used them and likely never will. I do practice shooting more than most people though. I could see the use if you were sitting in a blind all day but I think they would be too cumbersome for my style of hiking/hunting.

lovemywinchester
05-28-2019, 02:19 PM
I used to grab a stick and use it as a support for shooting whenever I hunted but I was lined up on nice whitetail two years ago using a stick and I was swaying all over the place with being tired and excited. Missed. I picked up a Primos bi pod trigger stick and now I don't want to go with out it. I would highly recommend it. They stop working in the "very" cold but they make a stable rest if you are sitting or kneeling. Get one.

I did lose one once when I stopped for a bush squat and just walked away after and left it sitting against a tree. :oops:

rocksteady
05-28-2019, 02:27 PM
Just buy one and try it out, give it an honest try...

Years ago I put a Harris bipod on my rifle and all my buddies nagged me about "too heavy, hard to use, noisy, yada yada"..... I use it every opportunity I can in order to get steadier.

Drillbit
05-28-2019, 02:44 PM
Never used them and likely never will. I do practice shooting more than most people though. I could see the use if you were sitting in a blind all day but I think they would be too cumbersome for my style of hiking/hunting.

Same with me.

Laurp99
05-28-2019, 03:47 PM
I just use my regular hiking pole with a V Yoke I bought from Amazon that screws onto the end of my pole. I use this hiking pole all the time and it helps especially when I'm sittings for hours on end overlooking a Valley or logging slash.

https://gallery2.flybc.ca/d/84829-1/Yoke.JPG

john-brennan
05-28-2019, 06:46 PM
I like the Bi-pod a lot for open country long shots.

Harvest the Land
05-28-2019, 07:39 PM
I use the Shockey Trigger Sticks Bipod version and I think its pretty useful for someone who doesn't practice shooting enough. The bipod suits me best because its nowhere near as heavy as the tripod and its way more stable than the single stick. And I definitely use it as a substitute for a hiking pole, usually I carry a hiking pole in one hand and the bipod trigger stick in the other. Works great for me but it might not for you. Cdn Tire has a good return policy, so try it out and if you don't like it take it back.

The one drawback is they don't like water and I've gone through a few of these sticks in recent years. So I usually don't bring the bipod out hunting if I know its going to downpour the whole day or if I'm hiking in deep snow or if its really dumping snow. Once water gets inside the sticks, its basically impossible to get it out because you have to break the stick in order to completely open it up to empty the water or do any other kind of repair (I've tried to fix mine a few times). Obviously they sell more sticks if they make them so people can't fix them on their own. So if you happen to take them out in wet weather, when you get home or back to camp, make sure to fully extend them and lean them against a wall or a tree upside down in order to drain as much of the water as possible. This will make them last longer. Good luck

BCHunterFSJ
05-29-2019, 09:45 AM
I've used shooting sticks in Africa and Spain. My word of advise is to practice using them before you go on your hunt.
I speak from experience...

ACB
05-29-2019, 10:23 AM
I'v got the Bog Pod with the attachment so you can go from shooting yoke to camera/spotting scope/bino's in seconds. Shooting off the Bog Pod is like shooting off a rock, very stabile. I carry it all the time.

Jrax
05-29-2019, 11:02 PM
I use my hiking poles to make a bi-pod, works well for when hiking in open to semi-open country or when sitting for any length of time. Takes a little practice to hold the bi-pod stable, planting them in the ground and getting used to shooting off them but they work great for me.

Bugle M In
05-30-2019, 09:09 AM
Monopod Style shooting stick isn't my style.
Obviously better than nothing but far from steady, imo.

I purchased way back when a light, break down tripod.
It's like tent poles with shock cord inside to out them together quick.
And once together, act like a tripod.
Breaks down to about 16-18" and really light weight.
https://www.ebay.com/p/Hammers-Safari-Collapsible-Shock-Corded-Shooting-Tripod-Stick-Stix-Gun-Pod-Rest/1812435718?iid=381530098671

If I sit somewhere and don't have a proper rest, out it comes.
Takes all of a minute to set up and is more than stable.

I do like the bog pods and the adapters.
Just too big and heavy unless you are just walking a short distance from truck and sitting in wait etc.

albravo2
05-30-2019, 09:56 AM
I use my hiking poles to make a bi-pod, works well for when hiking in open to semi-open country or when sitting for any length of time. Takes a little practice to hold the bi-pod stable, planting them in the ground and getting used to shooting off them but they work great for me.

I do this too but I use a rubber coated tie-wrap to hold them together. It takes a minute to set up, so not for opportunistic shots, but if you're sitting watching a lick it is a very stable and useful tool.

Dash
05-30-2019, 10:48 AM
I picked one up last year (Primos bi pod trigger stick) and when sitting it's very useful. It also doubles as a nice bino rest if you want to give your arms a break. However, like albravo said above, they have a tie-wrap holding the two poles together at the bottom so it'll take a couple seconds to set up. (Something to consider if you're walking with it) One other thing worth noting if using it as a walking stick, I found it can be a bit noisy. The rubber tie-wrap is supposed to help with that but I still find myself walking with my fingers in between the poles to prevent them from touching.

ROY-alty33
05-31-2019, 12:35 AM
Bog-pod tripod bought it for the kid, now its essential. good for stabilising glass or rifle. Multitude of attachments. A little bulky but not too bad.
Originally made shooting sticks for him out of two old hockey sticks, but no where near as stable as the BogPod.

Lionhill
05-31-2019, 05:31 AM
The issue I found with the Primos sticks was that one leg compressed while the other two stayed intact. Another issue was the sound of the metal poles when walking through brush. If one branch hit the pole with any force, that sound could be heard for hundreds of yards. The last issue was the single support point that did not create any true shooting stability.

The solution was to make a longer trekking pole, that provided support for the front and back of the rifle, but was under a Kilo, and made of ultralight hardwood Ash. If you hike in the mountains, or anywhere you need to "step-down" rocks or hills, the advantages of a 167 cm walking stick are many.

This is a new company in the Okanagan, but the video shows the concept:

https://youtu.be/BlbuIsBweP4

Harvest the Land
05-31-2019, 06:25 AM
Pretty neat idea - thanks for sharing. Looks way more stable than the shooting sticks too

Wentrot
05-31-2019, 07:51 AM
The issue I found with the Primos sticks was that one leg compressed while the other two stayed intact. Another issue was the sound of the metal poles when walking through brush. If one branch hit the pole with any force, that sound could be heard for hundreds of yards. The last issue was the single support point that did not create any true shooting stability.

The solution was to make a longer trekking pole, that provided support for the front and back of the rifle, but was under a Kilo, and made of ultralight hardwood Ash. If you hike in the mountains, or anywhere you need to "step-down" rocks or hills, the advantages of a 167 cm walking stick are many.

This looks neat, may need to give that a try. Available now?

Lionhill
05-31-2019, 11:36 AM
Yup. Head over to the website for contact info. There are a few versions available too.

Wood in walking sticks is like what wool is to performance garment products. Keeps your hands warmer too because there is no pocket of cold air inside your hands.

gutpile
06-02-2019, 02:55 AM
I bought mine for grizzly hunting when I had a draw , other then that I don't use it .

boxhitch
06-02-2019, 06:34 AM
Have carried a monopod or trekkiing pole but usually never used for the intended purpose
But have used one lots as a support for the binos over hours of glassing

Carry a Leatherman with a saw blade and some cord and there are lots of natural aids to be made when needed

Redthies
06-02-2019, 09:13 AM

That’s an interesting concept. I built a set exactly like those except a single. Had some oak scraps lying around and whipped them up. The double version would give better stability though. I may have to add a second set to my singles!

Lionhill
06-02-2019, 03:30 PM
That’s an interesting concept. I built a set exactly like those except a single. Had some oak scraps lying around and whipped them up. The double version would give better stability though. I may have to add a second set to my singles!

That design tool 4 years to perfect. If you get the distances between screws too far or too close, the whole unit twists under the torque. As the ticket with anything, you need to use it and practice practice practice.

Cheers

http://trek-stable.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/TS_OKST_G_Mar19.png

Sniperdan
06-09-2019, 07:00 AM
I used to have a straight shooting stick that doubled as a walking stick. It wasn't great for taking a stable shot, I ended up preferring to shoot off hand. I now carry a tripod trigger stick that I love, but I don't generally hike with it. I carry it in the truck and on the quad. Very fast and very stable, have used it many times and it comes in especially handy for my kids who have both shot deer with it.

hickman
06-10-2019, 05:33 PM
Make your own trigger or shooting stick. I think, I shot most animals off my shooting stick that I also use as hiking/ bushwhacking stick/ tool.
I used old ski poles, put wooden handles on them and cut them to the right length for a kneeling shot. See what works for you.
I like them and I got used to them.

HankBC
06-27-2019, 03:05 PM
I'm another guy here who has used the tripod version of the trigger stick. It came in handy for the northern regions where the brush you're in is often 3' high. Too high to rest on a backpack or your rifle bipod. I do a bit of backpack hunting however, and if I didn't have a base camp by the river I would never bring them. I'd lean on a tree branch or find another position if that was the case. Shooting off the extended hiking poles can be a challenge as well but it's another excuse to go practice shooting your rifle.

They have their place, but they aren't necessarily a must have, just my .02.

Downtown
06-27-2019, 04:32 PM
Berg Stocks are about as old as the Hills. No serious Mountain Hunter in the Alps would ever go without. However most of those Guys are very Practical and cut there own usually from Hazelnut. Anyone seen with anything resembling Store bought Aluminum will instantly be consider a City Slicker likely without much experience.
Here in BC I cut ours from Birch and sometimes Pine then I peel the bark off and the Stick is almost dried out and very light within the first Day. They should be longer then your tall so you can rest your Binocular easily on it while standing. Upper end should be no less then 1.1/4" and lower end 1.3/8 or 2" so you can use it as a brace while sliding down a Snowfield or Shale slide.

Using a natural and readily available Stick instead a manufactured Product saves you Money and at the same time reduces your carbon Footprint.

Cheers

Foxton Gundogs
06-27-2019, 04:42 PM
I have a bad ankle and have used a hiking staff for years now when in rough terrain. This year I am putting a shooting fork on the end. Should be functional on both fronts.

https://www.premier1supplies.com/media/7680.jpg (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiKqaaP64rjAhVxwcQHHUXXBIAQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.premier1supplies.com%2Fp%2Ft arget-stick-with-stag-horn&psig=AOvVaw3soDfK8a3f3Qplh0ahKDhF&ust=1561765152416549)

Huevos
06-27-2019, 06:24 PM
The mono pole ones really aren't very steady. If you walk a lot, the others are probaly not great for what you want either. If you sit at a lake, or over a field, the tripod ones are great, but as mentioned before, are cumbersome and quite noisy if you hit them on anything. They are just one of those things that you might have to bite the bullet and buy it to try it.

Huntingtyler123
06-27-2019, 09:40 PM
I ended up buying one after I missed a shot on a black bear. Then again I had bear fever when I looked at one in my scope for the first time. If I can I’ll use my stick if know other option is present

Mik
06-28-2019, 11:15 AM
I've used shooting sticks in Africa and Spain. My word of advise is to practice using them before you go on your hunt.
I speak from experience...
Great advice.....i too found that you need to practice when using either the monopod or bipod.

Bbelyan
06-28-2019, 08:16 PM
Bought one, used it a few times, doesn’t come with me any more, didn’t really care for it. It’s all what’s comfy for you

Pioneerman
06-28-2019, 08:39 PM
I have the bipod and they also double as a walking stick. I also have the taller ones, but do not see why someone would say too tall. You spread the legs apart and goes down to 24" off the ground. You can also move the feet out in front or behind to adjust height . The V also comes off and you can screw on your binos or spotting scope, so that can be handy. They are not cheap , but built strong and will last with rough treatment